Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Referee's in the District where they Live
Do you think a ref should be able to call games in there district. (example) If I live in Paintsville should I be able to call a JC or P-ville game? Or if I graduated from a school in the district.
No I don't think that a referee should referee a game within there hometown or district. Because I believe that it does give that team an advantage.

Do not mention referee's names or where they live. If you fail to abide by what I just mentioned then your post will be deleted.
IMO referees should not be able to call the games within the area or District where they live. The pre-season rankings that the coaches participate in rating the officials is supposed to be kept anonymous but all the officials find out. Some referees NOT ALL do sometimes care a grudge over these. Switching prevents maybe from this happening.
No they should not.
They should not be allowed to ref if they have kids on the team, the coach is family or they coach another sport at that school.
No, I do not think referee's should be able to ref in there district or hometown. IMO that is what is wrong with most of the 15th region refs today.
It has always bothered me to see a ref from here in the 57th, who graduated from a 57th district school and coaches @ a 57th district school... call games within the district as well as calling games his home school participates in.... I'm not saying anything untoward.... about this person or people, but I'm just saying it makesme very uncomfortable... like you're playing 6 instead of 5.... (psychologically)
From the KHSAA and sent to all officials:

" Since the high school athletic season has begun, the KHSAA has had complaints regarding the assignment of officials that directly conflicts with the interest of those high school participants involved in the event. Therefore, it is important to once again remind all licensing officials, as well as Assignors, that in the annual copy you receive of the KHSAA Officials Licensing Guidebook (pages 6 and 7,2007-08 Guidebook) there is definitive information regarding the avoidance of accepting (and making) such assignments. It states:An official shall not knowingly accept assignment of a contest if any of the following conditions exist:a. If there is a KHSAA Officials Association Chapter that makes assignments through an assignment secretary and the assignment did not come through any authorized chapter assignments procedure.b. If any officials assigned to the contest is not a member in good standing withthe KHSAA.c. If the official or the officials's spouse is employed by any school fielding a team involved in the contest.d. If the official is related by blood or marriage as follows (parent, grandparent,child, grandchild, brother, sister, roommates, classmates, business associates orclose personal friends.e. If the official and any person affiliated with a team involved in a contest are former or present teammates, classmates, business associates, or close personalfriends.f. If the official or the officials spouse attended or worked at either school within the last 10 years.There are other, not listed in this email, provisions of this long-standing KHSAApolicy that officials must be aware of before accepting an officiating assignment. It is imperative that each official and Assignor familiarize yourself with this entire section of the KHSAA Officials Licensing Guidebook. Since in may often prove difficult for Assignors to annually know such specifics of every official within their Officials Association, it is critically important thatofficials keep the Assignor annually apprised of such conflicts. No one is accusing anyone of anything, but to those of us in officiating, we must beforever aware that the perception of integrity in our conduct is our ever-present. It is pre-supposed that we will stand for everything that is physically, mentallyand morally right about athletics. Impartiality is our calling-card. Even if thereis only a perceived conflict of interest, officials should avoid accepting such anassignment. The first time such a trust is violated confidence in your officiatingfairness begins to erode.Officials violating this Code of Ethics may be placed on probation, fined, suspendedor terminated from KHSAA membership.

Larry Boucher, Assistant Commissioner KHSAA
UnderArmour24 Wrote:No, I do not think referee's should be able to ref in there district or hometown. IMO that is what is wrong with most of the 15th region refs today.
Amen!
no i dont think they should be allowed
blackcat_student Wrote:Do not mention referee's names or where they live. If you fail to abide by what I just mentioned then your post will be deleted.

No, refs shouldn't be allowed to ref inside their own district that they live, graduated from OR teach at, or coach at. There are some refs that teach, some even coach at schools. It's not fair, I'm sure all of us have seen games where these guys have made it obvious with the calls they make they don't like some other schools. I say they shouldn't be allowed to ref in their own REGION.

LOL, we ain't gotta mention any names, everybody on here knows who we're talkin about.
Its not right for referees to ref where they went to school or where they live. Now that would really be home-court advantage.
It dosn't really matter. The best team should win and they usually do.
Ref's should not be able to Ref in the county they live or in games their former school is playing in...
Redneck Wrote:No, refs shouldn't be allowed to ref inside their own district that they live, graduated from OR teach at, or coach at. There are some refs that teach, some even coach at schools. It's not fair, I'm sure all of us have seen games where these guys have made it obvious with the calls they make they don't like some other schools. I say they shouldn't be allowed to ref in their own REGION.

LOL, we ain't gotta mention any names, everybody on here knows who we're talkin about.

I COMPLETELY AGREE, THEY SHOULD NOT BEABLE TO REF. IN THE REGION THEY RESIDE IN. I HAVE SEEN MYSELF THAT CERTAIN REFS. MAKE A DIFFERENCE SOMETIMES. THAT WOULD ELMINATE ANY DIFFERENCES BEING MADE.
Nomercy Wrote:It dosn't really matter. The best team should win and they usually do.
If you think the refs don't make a difference then you haven't played much basketball that's why teams from lexington & louisville won't come to eastern ky and play because no matter how good they are it's hard to leave here with a win most of the they lose and yes it is because of the home town refs. I have personally seen this in around here for over 20 years.
Nomercy Wrote:It dosn't really matter. The best team should win and they usually do.

:confused: