Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ouch! Here's the price for my books this semester
I'm going to get my books for the semester tomorrow...well I guess it's technically today.

Either way, I'm going to the bookstore Saturday to get my books.

Here is the price if I buy them ALL NEW: $847.50 :eek: :eek:

And

Here is the price if I buy them ALL USED: $636.25 :eek: Sad < - - - Sadly, this is usually about how much they cost.

Hopefully I can find them all used and don't have to buy any of them new, but those prices are just plain ridiculous.

I really hope I can find them for cheaper online; here's what I'll have to do and this is just a hassle.

Go to the bookstore, buy the books for as cheap as I can get them. Bring them home, try to find them for cheaper online, and then the ones that are cheaper wait until they are shipped to me.

Once I get the cheaper book in the mail, take the other books back to the library to get my refund.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
It has always been ridiculous with the price students have to pay for books. Costs continue to go up with classes seemingly every semester and then the graduate classes finish the deal with their continued rise.
ComfortEagle Wrote:I'm going to get my books for the semester tomorrow...well I guess it's technically today.

Either way, I'm going to the bookstore Saturday to get my books.

Here is the price if I buy them ALL NEW: $847.50 :eek: :eek:

And

Here is the price if I buy them ALL USED: $636.25 :eek: Sad < - - - Sadly, this is usually about how much they cost.

Hopefully I can find them all used and don't have to buy any of them new, but those prices are just plain ridiculous.

I really hope I can find them for cheaper online; here's what I'll have to do and this is just a hassle.

Go to the bookstore, buy the books for as cheap as I can get them. Bring them home, try to find them for cheaper online, and then the ones that are cheaper wait until they are shipped to me.

Once I get the cheaper book in the mail, take the other books back to the library to get my refund.

Dude what is your major??? Books are ridiculous, but here's an idea. I work at one of the privately owned bookstores close to campus (I go to Marshall, by the way) only during book rush and buy-back week and I get half-off my books for that. It's only like 2 weeks at the beginning of the semester and 2 weeks at the end, and it is so worth it! Plus, you get a salary too. It's not much but you save money in the long run. I would advise anyone to do it.
*SC*Cards*FaNaTiC* Wrote:Dude what is your major??? Books are ridiculous, but here's an idea. I work at one of the privately owned bookstores close to campus (I go to Marshall, by the way) only during book rush and buy-back week and I get half-off my books for that. It's only like 2 weeks at the beginning of the semester and 2 weeks at the end, and it is so worth it! Plus, you get a salary too. It's not much but you save money in the long run. I would advise anyone to do it.

It's a marketing major but I'm taking some psychology classes this semester and they are by far the most expensive books.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Oh, I didn't know those were so expensive! I am a Communication Disorders major (speech therapy) and our books aren't that bad. Nursing books seem to cost the most at MU.

And sorry for the ???? I just saw in another post where you don't like it.
Hahaha, it's ok.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I didn't think they'd be so expensive either, but there are fewer of them circulating around so they're more expensive.

I really hope I find them for cheaper online. Last semester I had one book that was $90 at the bookstore, and I found it online for $20. Then I had another that was $84 that I managed to buy off someone from Facebook for $5.

Saved a lot of money that way.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
A lot of people go on half.com. I never have, but my roommate has. I think she always gets her books from there.
I got some pretty cheap (well 50% off or so) on Amazon.com If you don't mind waiting a couple of days, this is a good way to go.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Mine are going to be $451.70 (+tax?) this semester. I'm kinda lucky because I get to use the same book for my Intermediate Accounting II class so that saves me $180. Ridiculous....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
You could try to go to the library and check them out and just renew it every time they are due, or just keep them and pay the late fee at the end of the semester. Has to be cheaper that route. I know of a lot of people that do that. Just a suggestion.
I refuse to get my books from my school's bookstore. It's ridiculous. I use:
www.textbooks.com
www.alibris.com
www.bn.com
I haven't checked on the price for mine yet, but I think it is ridiculous paying that much for books that you will only use for a month or two. My fiance and I have the same schedule so we can share books, so it's not as bad as it could be. But it's still ridicuous!!

:lame: