Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sheldon Clark 3-1 Berea Holiday Classic
The Lady Cards take 3rd place in the Berea Tournament. They defeated Edmonson County the first round, Monticello 2nd round, then lost to Dunbar by a score of 71-46. Not bad for the 6th ranked team in the state. In the last game SC defeated University Heights for 3rd place. The Cards are now 9-2.:Thumbs:
Congrats Lady Cards and Coach Rice. You have a bright future ahead of you.
They did play hard even when down by 30 or 35. The coach has really got the kids playing together and getting after it. The score with Dunbar isnt really reflecting how lopsided the game was though. Dunbar played their JV and Freshman a bunch in the second half. But hats off to Sheldon Clark for continuing to battle. That will take them a long way against the competition they will face in their district.
Dawgfan11th Wrote:They did play hard even when down by 30 or 35. The coach has really got the kids playing together and getting after it. The score with Dunbar isnt really reflecting how lopsided the game was though. Dunbar played their JV and Freshman a bunch in the second half. But hats off to Sheldon Clark for continuing to battle. That will take them a long way against the competition they will face in their district.
Wasn't quite that lopsided. SC outscored Dunbar in the 2nd half, and they actually had to put their starters back in. Dunbar is a really great team. Their bench is loaded. Other teams didn't quite do as well against them. Besides the championship game, which I don't know what the score was, the others that played Dunbar scored around 20 if im not mistaken.
No, the bench is not loaded. If Dunbar had left the starters in it would have been a 60 point game. Dunbar stopped pressing and dropped back into a half court man to man starting the 3rd. From there the score was still getting out of hand and coach Sowers doesnt feel that running up the score is good sportsmanship so they went to a 2-3 (mountain zone) that seems to be so widely used these days instead of teaching man to man and put in freshman and JV players. The coach did insert starters 1 time in the 4th for about 1 minute with a mix of freshman and at times JV players to see how they would play together but did not put the press on as it was in the first half. So, you can think the game was close if you want but from what I saw with my own eyes was a coach resting starters letting some really young players get some PT..... So I dont see how outplaying freshman and a couple sophmores and getting beat "only" 20 something is any moral victory.... ??????? :igiveup:
Congrats Cards