Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prestonsburg 42 Floyd Central 6
Final.
Blackcats improve to 8-0 and 2-0 in the District! Congrats Blackcats
Floyd Central’s game plan was clear early, load the box to stop the run. They got into the backfield and defended Prestonsburg’s ground game really well in the first half. But by over committing to the run, Prestonsburg carved them up through the air. It seemed like anytime it was 3rd and long and even 4th down and FC had the drive stopped, Pburg dialed up a pass play and Holbrook delivered some really nice balls. I think Prestonsburg has proven, if you want to over commit to the run, this offense has the ability to air it out and beat you that way as well.

Prestonsburg defensively was pretty great all game. Jags made a few plays, but they had to earn every yard tonight. FC only TD come when half the defense was JV guys.

Overall, I felt like Pburg struggled out of the gate. Even though they hit on some big passes, they just didn’t play to the same level as we’ve seen much of the season. I think it was mostly because they were coming off a bye week, but they played much better in the second half. Intensity was much better. Team needs to get that focus back and get ready to head to Hindman and take care of business next week and bring a district championship back to Prestonsburg for the first time since 2017.

Program win #600 for Prestonsburg and they improve to 8-0 on the season and 2-0 on district play as well.

Congrats Blackcats!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackcatAlum's post:
  • Blue_Bird96
Time for the old Hager to go. Plain and simple. The Floyd Central Program is in the dump and needs new energy and enthusiasm. The players hate it there and the culture is just awful. Sometimes a change just needs to be made, and now is the time.
June 205 Schedule - HC out of town, you guys on your own. ......
Huh?
I thought that Cats played a little sloppy at first, but that could’ve been the bye week showing itself a little bit. It didn’t take them long to get going. I really like that Wesley saw the mismatches he had with his athletes and spread FC out a little.

Holbrook is growing more and more confident with letting the ball go and trusting his athletes. At the start of his career he was holding it too long or tucking and running. Last night, he stepped up into the pocket and delivered it on time and on target. I’m very impressed with him.

Hats off to Alex Harris and Dalton Elliott as they’re both as steady as they come!

Logan Stumbo is the leader of the defense and is always on. He keeps everyone gap sound and cleans up everything that comes his way. I’m proud of the leadership he’s shown for the younger players.

Someone who has really impressed has been 33, Pugh. He’s undersized but size doesn’t always equal toughness and/or intelligence. He has both in spades.

I look forward to seeing the Cats continue to make a march towards 10-0.

P.S. Before all of those lovely haters come in here, I’d like to say that you can’t make your district a gauntlet. I can also assure you the non district games will be stronger moving forward. This schedule was left for coach Hager.
[-] The following 3 users Like BlackcatPride32's post:
  • -STAT-, BlackcatAlum, Blue_Bird96
(10-19-2024, 12:57 PM)BlackcatPride32 Wrote: I thought that Cats played a little sloppy at first, but that could’ve been the bye week showing itself a little bit. It didn’t take them long to get going. I really like that Wesley saw the mismatches he had with his athletes and spread FC out a little.

Holbrook is growing more and more confident with letting the ball go and trusting his athletes. At the start of his career he was holding it too long or tucking and running. Last night, he stepped up into the pocket and delivered it on time and on target. I’m very impressed with him.

Hats off to Alex Harris and Dalton Elliott as they’re both as steady as they come!

Logan Stumbo is the leader of the defense and is always on. He keeps everyone gap sound and cleans up everything that comes his way. I’m proud of the leadership he’s shown for the younger players.

Someone who has really impressed has been 33, Pugh. He’s undersized but size doesn’t always equal toughness and/or intelligence. He has both in spades.

P.S. Before all of those lovely haters come in here, I’d like to say that you can’t make your district a gauntlet. I can also assure you the non district games will be stronger moving forward. This schedule was left for coach Hager.
I’m glad you mentioned Logan Stumbo. He’s gotta be one of the best linebackers in the mountains. Always in on almost every tackle, had a great interception last night as well.

Absolute stud
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackcatAlum's post:
  • BlackcatPride32
(10-19-2024, 11:56 AM)ROTC Wrote: Huh?

I think that was a joking reference to a poster on here over the summer talking about how disgraceful they thought it was Hager taking a vacation last June and leaving practice in the hands of his assistants, and how that would only set the program back even further.
Dad Hager should prolly move to Pburg and be some type of special consultant. Not saying he can’t coach, but it just hasn’t worked out at FC.
(10-19-2024, 09:19 PM)ROTC Wrote: Dad Hager should prolly move to Pburg and be some type of special consultant.  Not saying he can’t coach, but it just hasn’t worked out at FC.
He was a very good coach at sheldon clark. Cant figure out why he cant make it happen at floyd. Always has decent talent and big lineman
(10-19-2024, 04:30 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:
(10-19-2024, 12:57 PM)BlackcatPride32 Wrote: I thought that Cats played a little sloppy at first, but that could’ve been the bye week showing itself a little bit. It didn’t take them long to get going. I really like that Wesley saw the mismatches he had with his athletes and spread FC out a little.

I’m glad you mentioned Logan Stumbo. He’s gotta be one of the best linebackers in the mountains. Always in on almost every tackle, had a great interception last night as well.

Absolute stud
I absolutely agree!  Stumbo doesn’t get the credit he deserves. Im not sure there is a better Linebacker in the region. Kid balls out every Friday night!
[-] The following 2 users Like Blue_Bird96's post:
  • BlackcatAlum, BlackcatPride32
First off, both teams played with a lot of class. Didn’t witness any trash talk or cheap shots except once. Shawn Hager pulled the kid immediately and ate him up. Floy Central didn’t quit despite being in a running clock situation.
Next, yes Shawn Hager can still coach. Injuries hurt this team. The other issue is numbers; Floyd Central, South Floyd, Allen Central and even Wheelwright always had competitive teams in the feeder system. By the time they reach high school, the numbers dropped off dramatically. They can’t seem to keep players in the program.
Should he retire? Absolutely, if he has got in the years to do it. He could go elsewhere but the situation at Floyd Central isn’t going to get better. A good coach, but a bad situation.
[-] The following 2 users Like hawg laig's post:
  • BlackcatPride32, Blacksmith
The Blackcats took care of business and came out injury free. That's all you can ask for in a game that includes a running clock. Floyd Central came out aggressive, as any team would in a rivalry game, but as the game wore on, they just didn't have the horses to run with Prestonsburg. It was a special night in the Burg, not only did father and son coach against each other, Prestonsburg won their 600th game in program history, and Josh Francis's family was recognized.

As far as this week, Prestonsburg travels to Knott County to wrap up district play. This should be another running clock type of game, but at this point in the season you can't overlook anyone. Knott County has improved, but much like this game, they don't have the talent to compete with Prestonsburg for four quarters. I may be wrong, but with a win, the Blackcats will win their first district championship since 2017 and are guaranteed to host the first two rounds of the playoffs.

I will be honest, the Breathitt game is going to be a problem! I hope I am wrong, but after watching the live streamed game against Leslie, they look like the best team we have played all year and it isn't even close. I believe in Hager and our Blackcats, but they better strap it up!
[-] The following 2 users Like Blackcat 4 Life's post:
  • BlackcatAlum, BlackcatPride32
(7 hours ago)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote: The Blackcats took care of business and came out injury free. That's all you can ask for in a game that includes a running clock. Floyd Central came out aggressive, as any team would in a rivalry game, but as the game wore on, they just didn't have the horses to run with Prestonsburg. It was a special night in the Burg, not only did father and son coach against each other, Prestonsburg won their 600th game in program history, and Josh Francis's family was recognized.

As far as this week, Prestonsburg travels to Knott County to wrap up district play. This should be another running clock type of game, but at this point in the season you can't overlook anyone. Knott County has improved, but much like this game, they don't have the talent to compete with Prestonsburg for four quarters. I may be wrong, but with a win, the Blackcats will win their first district championship since 2017 and are guaranteed to host the first two rounds of the playoffs.

I will be honest, the Breathitt game is going to be a problem! I hope I am wrong, but after watching the live streamed game against Leslie, they look like the best team we have played all year and it isn't even close. I believe in Hager and our Blackcats, but they better strap it up!
Good post

I think Martin County is similar in talent to Breathitt, but I think Breathitt can throw the ball better and Breathitt's line is better overall than Martin County's. 

Knott Central game should be a running clock based on how Knott has played vs Betsy Layne and Martin County, but like you mentioned, they're much improved over the last few years. Kudos to that staff and that admin to investing into their football program and improving the product that performs on Friday nights.