7. Murray
8. Martin County 
9. Breathitt County 
10. Betsy Layne
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bull got out!'s post:
  • Westside
Huge drop off after top 4
(08-22-2024, 07:44 AM)Belichick Wrote: Huge drop off after top 4

Thats true somewhat but I also think if any team in class 2A will surprise the top 4 is Somerset. They are a team on the rise.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bull got out!'s post:
  • The Red Eminence, TheRampageRooster
I’d have Breathitt and Shelby Valley at 8 & 9 and Martin County at 10.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackcatAlum's post:
  • Bull got out!
(08-22-2024, 01:54 AM)Bull got out! Wrote: Class 2A Preseason Rankings

1. Beechwood
2. Owensboro Catholic
3. LCA
4. Mayfield
5. Somerset
6. Green County
7. Murray
8. Martin County 
9. Breathitt County 
10. Betsy Layne

I don't know what Mayfield brings back, but I know what LCA lost. I'd have to slide Mayfield at least into that #2 spot for now. Yes Owensboro Catholic brings back Atwell, but I think it's being undersold how important Tutt Carrico was to that team last year. Mayfield wins that championship going away if not for him. As for Beechwood, I could see this season going two ways: a four or three way battle for the top spot, or Beechwood just runs away with it this year. Neither would surprise me. Hayden reminds me a lot of Stinson at Mayfield a few years back. Just a super accurate passer who makes the right decisions. They are going to be tough to beat for anyone in 2A.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Shogun's post:
  • Bull got out!
(08-22-2024, 09:44 AM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: I’d have Breathitt and Shelby Valley at 8 & 9 and Martin County at 10.
I would agree going into the season but I don’t believe SV or Martin County will be able to stay in the top 10 as the season goes.
(08-22-2024, 04:22 PM)Concerned_Blackcat Wrote:
(08-22-2024, 09:44 AM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: I’d have Breathitt and Shelby Valley at 8 & 9 and Martin County at 10.
I would agree going into the season but I don’t believe SV or Martin County will be able to stay in the top 10 as the season goes.
We will find out a lot about both of these teams over the course of the next 3 Fridays. They play each other in week 3. 

IMO, if Valley keeps their first two games close or wins 1 of the 2, then you know they have a pretty good squad again. Letcher and Lawrence are two good mountain teams and programs. I think Martin Co lost a lot to graduation and their success hinges on Devan Maynard. If that kid stays healthy and continues to take the right steps as a QB and the Cards can develop their passing game each week then they'll be tough by the time district play starts.
We will find out a lot about both of these teams over the course of the next 3 Fridays. They play each other in week 3. 

IMO, if Valley keeps their first two games close or wins 1 of the 2, then you know they have a pretty good squad again. Letcher and Lawrence are two good mountain teams and programs. I think Martin Co lost a lot to graduation and their success hinges on Devan Maynard. If that kid stays healthy and continues to take the right steps as a QB and the Cards can develop their passing game each week then they'll be tough by the time district play starts.
(08-22-2024, 08:55 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:

That’s a pretty solid assessment. I’ve seen both of Shelby Valleys scrimmages and they’re not going to be nearly the team they have been with Russ Osborne and Company graduating. They didn’t look very good up front and they’re not as explosive. 

I saw Martin County play against Floyd central in that scrimmage. It’s early but they didn’t strike me as the team they’ve been lately either. 

Those were both scrimmages and we can’t make to much out of them. It never as good or bad as it looks
(08-22-2024, 10:07 PM)Concerned_Blackcat Wrote:
(08-22-2024, 08:55 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:

That’s a pretty solid assessment. I’ve seen both of Shelby Valleys scrimmages and they’re not going to be nearly the team they have been with Russ Osborne and Company graduating. They didn’t look very good up front and they’re not as explosive. 

I saw Martin County play against Floyd central in that scrimmage. It’s early but they didn’t strike me as the team they’ve been lately either. 

Those were both scrimmages and we can’t make to much out of them. It never as good or bad as it looks
SV had a few excellent options to fill the HC vacancy left by Anthony Hampton. There were even a couple names that would surprise everyone!! Ultimately Shelby Valley principal Greg Napier chose one of the most underwhelming of these candidates!! Mediocrity breeds mediocrity and they hired a mediocre coach at best!! That's why SV will continue to be an extra average team/program when compared to the rest of the State in 2A.