Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
14th Region Carousel
Perry - Meehan

Letcher - Willis, Combs, Boothe, or someone else?

Hazard - Varney stay or go?  If he goes, is it Dean, Boothe, or someone else?

Wolfe - Rigsby out?  Dean, Combs or someone else?

Breathitt - Combs out?  Willis, Dean or someone else?

I don't think Hazard will lose any current players to Perry.  However, it may affect those coming out of middle school.  

Wolfe hosts regions next season. Them and Hazard will probably sit at the top of the food chain.  Next year will be competitive like it was this season.  Letcher should be a better team.  Knott will still be good.  Powell will still be good.  I think Estill will be rebuilding, as well as, Perry, Leslie and Breathitt.  

Insights/Thoughts?
All depends on the hires, a school would be absolutely stupid to hire dean to run their program. After the way he treated LCC then lied about so much and not to mention the behavior & that’s just this time they brought him back after they ran him off last time for the very same stuff……just because you know baseball doesn’t mean you’re a coach.

Thought Meehan would be the first domino to fall but curious to see how long these questions will be asked about these coaches.
Meehan to Perry was a surprise but a good hire for them.
Letcher needs to hire outside of the system. Of the ones mentioned I feel Combs or Boothe would be the better hire. Heard Willis wasn't interested.
For Hazard, I feel if Varney leaves, Dean will step in and take over there. If Varney stay does Dean stay as assistant or does he look for head coaching job elsewhere.
If Rigsby is out I could see Dean going there if Varney stays at Hazard. Coaching change and who they hire could determine a lot with some of their players. Will they stick together or abandon ship.
Breathitt is the one that surprises me. Combs is a Breathitt guy. Is there speculation of him wanting to leave? I couldn't imagine Breathitt wanting to get rid of him. Of course I could see him doing good at Letcher. Going to Wolfe would be like Meehan going to Perry lol.
A lot of wait and see going on with this. Either way the 14th is going to be very competitive again.
What does Estill and Powell have coming back?
Estill loses the farm. Had 10 seniors. I think at least half of them played a ton. Maybe more.
Powell loses 4 I think. They do return Dicken, Miller and Poe.
Estill does lose a lot but. They also return their ace in Niece plus couple other decent pitchers. I think they take a step back this season.
Estill lost a ton, but always rebuilds fairly quickly. Powell lost 4 key players, but return some key components offensively and on the mound. Much of their success will be based on what personnel they have to fill the holes.
(06-11-2024, 11:13 AM)Bluecat Wrote: Meehan to Perry was a surprise but a good hire for them.
Letcher needs to hire outside of the system. Of the ones mentioned I feel Combs or Boothe would be the better hire. Heard Willis wasn't interested.
For Hazard, I feel if Varney leaves, Dean will step in and take over there. If Varney stay does Dean stay as assistant or does he look for head coaching job elsewhere.
If Rigsby is out I could see Dean going there if Varney stays at Hazard. Coaching change and who they hire could determine a lot with some of their players. Will they stick together or abandon ship.
Breathitt is the one that surprises me. Combs is a Breathitt guy. Is there speculation of him wanting to leave? I couldn't imagine Breathitt wanting to get rid of him. Of course I could see him doing good at Letcher. Going to Wolfe would be like Meehan going to Perry lol.
A lot of wait and see going on with this. Either way the 14th is going to be very competitive again.

I don’t think Combs is going anywhere. I talked to one of the administrators and they said that he had resigned from coaching football and gonna do baseball year round. Also heard tonight they played some summer games already and doing summer workouts. So I’m guessing he is staying there at Breathitt. No point in putting a ton of summer work in just to leave. 
Yea Combs leaving Breathitt would surprise me. He has done good since taking over. His first time around being coach wasn't a bad experience either. They do lose some big contributors but have a good young group coming up. As always a lot depends on pitching. They will hit.
I agree Combs has done a great job at Breathitt. The kids seem to love playing for the guy.

I think Breathitt struggles next year. No doubt they have some great young talent but youth gets you beat on the varsity level.

If they stay healthy and stay together Breathitt will be one of the favorites in 2-3 years.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chubby Smith's post:
  • Bluecat
(06-12-2024, 09:31 AM)Chubby Smith Wrote: I agree Combs has done a great job at Breathitt. The kids seem to love playing for the guy.

I think Breathitt struggles next year. No doubt they have some great young talent but youth gets you beat on the varsity level.

If they stay healthy and stay together Breathitt will be one of the favorites in 2-3 years.
Agree! Any word on if Howard stays? Would be a major hit to lose Howard. Great player and one they can't afford to lose.
At breathitt & Wolfe, are you hearing the coaches may be looking elsewhere or is there chatter administration is looking to get rid of them? And who’s interested in the lcc job? If Willis is out, then idk where they turn cause I know they were very interested when he resigned from pcc. I’m curious to how long these rumors stay out there about coaching changes etc.
I have heard that there is some interest in Bobby Dixon the retired coach from Perry.
(06-18-2024, 12:46 AM)Medusa Wrote: I have heard that there is some interest in Bobby Dixon the retired coach from Perry.
Where? You would think if Dixon was an option Perry would have brought him back.
(06-18-2024, 09:12 AM)Bluecat Wrote:
(06-18-2024, 12:46 AM)Medusa Wrote: I have heard that there is some interest in Bobby Dixon the retired coach from Perry.
Where? You would think if Dixon was an option Perry would have brought him back.

Why would Perry choose Dixon over Meehan ? Meehan wore Dixon’s head over the years !!
Any word on the Letcher job?
(06-18-2024, 02:30 PM)Chubby Smith Wrote:
I was saying Dixon to Letcher Central.  Not Perry Central.   Dixon is as good of a coach as you will find in this region.  I could see him on the field sometime soon.  
Why would Perry choose Dixon over Meehan ? Meehan wore Dixon’s head over the years !!
(06-19-2024, 12:30 PM)Medusa Wrote:
(06-18-2024, 02:30 PM)Chubby Smith Wrote:
I was saying Dixon to Letcher Central.  Not Perry Central.   Dixon is as good of a coach as you will find in this region.  I could see him on the field sometime soon.  

My bad. I misunderstood ya. I agree Dixon is a good coach. I just think Meehan is better. I don’t see Dixon being interested in the Letcher job. If he was wanting to coach again don’t you think he could have landed the Perry job again ?

If I’m Letcher. I may try to hire a person from Letcher or really close by. Someone that truly wants to build something there and plans on staying for awhile.
How about Breathitt, Wolfe, and Hazard? Have those flames died out about possibly needing new coaches? Seems there are always rumors about coaches leaving and then nothing comes of it.

I actually saw on Facebook where Combs was showing off new parts of their indoor hitting facility so I don't think he is looking to leave.

Dixon going to Letcher would surprise me since I think he could have taken Perry back over if he wanted to get back into coaching.
[quote="Bluecat" pid='2457403' dateline='1718842215']
How about Breathitt, Wolfe, and Hazard? Have those flames died out about possibly needing new coaches? Seems there are always rumors about coaches leaving and then nothing comes of it.

I actually saw on Facebook where Combs was showing off new parts of their indoor hitting facility so I don't think he is looking to leave.

Dixon going to Letcher would surprise me since I think he could have taken Perry back over if he wanted to get back into coaching.
[/quote

I’d say if we don’t hear anything within the next month there won’t be any changes made. I would imagine any school that was planning on firing their coach would have already done it.. As far as the open jobs I think they have to be posted so long before they’re filled.

I think Rigsby is safe at Wolfe , I don’t see Justin leaving Breathitt , I think if Montgomery hires anyone other than Varney that Hazard won’t be making any changes either. We all know Letcher is in the hunt and Perry has their guy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chubby Smith's post:
  • Bluecat
(06-19-2024, 10:00 PM)Chubby Smith Wrote:
(06-19-2024, 09:10 PM)Bluecat Wrote: How about Breathitt, Wolfe, and Hazard? Have those flames died out about possibly needing new coaches? Seems there are always rumors about coaches leaving and then nothing comes of it.

[/quote

I’d say if we don’t hear anything within the next month there won’t be any changes made. I would imagine any school that was planning on firing their coach would have already done it.. As far as the open jobs I think they have to be posted so long before they’re filled.

I think Rigsby is safe at Wolfe , I don’t see Justin leaving Breathitt , I think if Montgomery hires anyone other than Varney that Hazard won’t be making any changes either. We all know Letcher is in the hunt and Perry has their guy.
Only way I see Wolfe, Breathiit, and/or Hazard opening up is if those coaches decide to leave on their own. Of course nothing is set in stone and things happen.
Hot off the press. 

Wolfe Co makes the first move. Been saying they where not real happy in Campton.

Thumbnail(s)

(06-20-2024, 02:19 PM)SidelineFan Wrote: Hot off the press. 

Wolfe Co makes the first move. Been saying they where not real happy in Campton.
Says Middle School doesn't it?
(06-20-2024, 10:02 PM)Bluecat Wrote:

the bottom does but I was sent this from someone in WC saying it was for high school. Not sure
(06-20-2024, 11:03 PM)SidelineFan Wrote:
(06-20-2024, 10:02 PM)Bluecat Wrote:

the bottom does but I was sent this from someone in WC saying it was for high school. Not sure
Interesting then if HS

Wolfe Co makes the first move. Been saying they were  not real happy in Campton.

I called that 2 months ago.  Lol
Why is Wolfe wanting rid of Rigsby? Isn’t he the reason the program is on the rise? Didn’t it all start from him? They are pretty competitive now in baseball.
(06-24-2024, 08:32 AM)DukeBoy Wrote: Why is Wolfe wanting rid of Rigsby?  Isn’t he the reason the program is on the rise?  Didn’t it all start from him?  They are pretty competitive now in baseball.
I used to think the same thing until seeing some of the coaching decisions he made that lost them multiple big games. those players getting older made that program what it is now in my opinion.
Maybe lcc will give him a call, heard only players dads had applied but that was at seasons end. Willis was the name floating around after the season but it’s been very quiet since region ended. I’m shocked if Wolfe is letting him go, who do they want or have in mind if this is true.
Other than not win a region what is the reasoning? They have been young and competing at the top of the region but not like they were only team capable of winning a region. There may be more than Wins and Losses but if not then I don't see the reasoning for it.