9/20 Pikeville (A)
9/27 Magoffin County (H)
10/4 Lawrence County (A)
10/11 OPEN
10/18 Estill County (H)
10/25 Powell County (A)
11/1 Letcher Central (H)
Let’s go Belfry
If Belfry can stay healthy they’re going to be really good.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackcatAlum's post:
  • Old School 18
the belfry 2024 thread being posted in june says a lot about the lack of enthusiasm around the program these days
Not sure if it’s a lack of enthusiasm. In the past…Belfry just had more vocal posters on here who were always up to discuss the Pirates.

I think there is some uncertainty within the Fanbase as to what the Pirates will look like in 2024. Not being as close to the program as I’ve been in the past….the information train has been a slow mover. However….from what I’ve been told, there is a tremendous amount of optimism in the respective locker rooms ( player and coaches). Hearing good things about the line on both sides of the ball.

Defensively….Belfry MUST get better. Last year was discouraging from the standpoint of not being able to get off the field at crucial times. The secondary struggled mightily at times….especially after a couple of unfortunate and needless injuries.

Offensively….replacing Woolum and Young will be a challenge….but IMO, the Pirates will be fine on this side of the ball.

Last season in 3A….for at least 2 years….but unless some dramatic changes occur in student enrollment…..I see Belfry being in 2A for the long run. This last go in 3A ….district wise will come down to Belfry and LC. Sorry, no disrespect intended….but no one else will be a serious contender. I’m guessing Belfry is probably somewhere in the Top 7 preseason in 3A. Believe it or not…. We’ll learn a lot at the Pike Co Bowl. Early for a Haywood team….but GRC was too formidable from a speed and elusiveness standpoint last season. Belfry made a lot of un-Belfry like bonehead plays throughout the season….and it all started with the PCB game. Better angles, better tackling will be a must

Hoping to see some real growth. Go Pirates!
Belfry has some good pieces to be successful on offense. Belfry's never going to have an elite secondary, but this should be a very solid secondary from talent standpoints and conventional Belfry standards.

Their season will be determined by the Front 7 on defense. The way Belfry plays defense they have essentially 4 LB'ers... those 4 spots are without a doubt the single biggest factor on whether Belfry is a contender to reach the State Finals or a pretender. The inability to get off blocks, bad angles, missed assignments, and generally getting out manned at the LB spots on the whole was Belfry's Waterloo last season and the year before.

Belfry should have the coaching and the offense to be a threat to make the Semi-Finals, but none of that matters if the teams they may see in Round 2 or Round 3 can gain 5 yards per carry at will because they simply cannot stop the run consistently in late game situations.
I agree that Belfry will be solid upfront especially offensively, but where will the offense come from. Woolum and Young combined to score way more than half of Belfry’s total points last year. I understand that the QB coming back healthy will help, and the Caudill kid will bust a couple. But I just don’t see that big play kid offensively. Against really good offensive teams they just haven’t been able to keep the pace since they haven’t had that Dixon type player, and I thought Young and Woolum were both very good players. Actually I’d love to have seen Woolum in an offense where he was used primarily as a receiver type kid. Anyway, some of you guys closer to the program, who’s your thoughts on who will replace those kids offensively?
(06-10-2024, 12:46 PM)EKUAlum05 Wrote: Belfry has some good pieces to be successful on offense. Belfry's never going to have an elite secondary, but this should be a very solid secondary from talent standpoints and conventional Belfry standards.

Their season will be determined by the Front 7 on defense. The way Belfry plays defense they have essentially 4 LB'ers... those 4 spots are without a doubt the single biggest factor on whether Belfry is a contender to reach the State Finals or a pretender. The inability to get off blocks, bad angles, missed assignments, and generally getting out manned at the LB spots on the whole was Belfry's Waterloo last season and the year before.

Belfry should have the coaching and the offense to be a threat to make the Semi-Finals, but none of that matters if the teams they may see in Round 2 or Round 3 can gain 5 yards per carry at will because they simply cannot stop the run consistently in late game situations.
i think 3/4 lb'ers return, losing dre young but returning deskins austin and davis.... davis really impressed me last year.

(06-10-2024, 02:29 PM)Micro-Brew Wrote: I agree that Belfry will be solid upfront especially offensively, but where will the offense come from. Woolum and Young combined to score way more than half of Belfry’s total points last year. I understand that the QB coming back healthy will help, and the Caudill kid will bust a couple. But I just don’t see that big play kid offensively. Against really good offensive teams they just haven’t been able to keep the pace since they haven’t had that Dixon type player, and I thought Young and Woolum were both very good players. Actually I’d love to have seen Woolum in an offense where he was used primarily as a receiver type kid. Anyway, some of you guys closer to the program, who’s your thoughts on who will replace those kids offensively?
theres a second woolum who has a lot of expectations plus JJ Austin will take over at fullback, not sure where cayden varney slots in but hes very athletic
Belfry should be tough this year but I don’t think they will be good enough to be the top team in Pike Co. should he the second best team in the mountains and run through their district.
Run through their district? Lol! They have to play Lawrence in Louisa and that’s going to be a battle.
(06-20-2024, 10:50 PM)lcgrad2002 Wrote: Run through their district? Lol! They have to play Lawrence in Louisa and that’s going to be a battle.
Why?  The past 2 years LC has gave them a game but Belfry has been young. I think this year it will be back to a typical Belfry vs LC score. Belfry has returned a lot and from I’ve heard from LC their depending on a lot of younger kids.
No one knows what to expect from Belfry.

They lost Woolum and Young. That was their leading rushers, receivers, TD scorers, and tacklers.

They ran a really different offense for the only the second time in the past 50 years that I can remember.
(06-15-2024, 09:15 AM)Upnorth Wrote: Belfry should be tough this year but I don’t think they will be good enough to be the top team in Pike Co. should he the second best team in the mountains and run through their district.
Belfry will be 2nd best team in Pike county and possibly 2nd in district. The road game in Louisa will make or break playoffs. Belfry will not be able to replace Woolum on offense but I believe the Austin kid will surprise a few people this season. Defensively is where Belfry will struggle. Going to have use more lineman both ways than they normally like too. Belfry will like in past 3 years be a good team just not state championship team.
Belfry is a solid regional contender imo right now. Even if they don’t win district and L.C.does i can see Belfry going to Bell County this year in the second round and it being a 50/50 game again. Bell lost Thomas and Belfry lost Woolum so i think its another coin flip of a game. I could also see them going to Rockcastle second round and beating them too.
not a word from practice
not a word about anything

no vocal posters is a reflection of the complete lack of enthusiasm around the program

take a look at this website in 2013 and ill bet there’s a ton of posts about practice….. there was a hell of a lot of enthusiasm then.

irreparable damage?
(08-01-2024, 08:29 AM)Khalisimo Wrote: not a word from practice

no vocal posters is a reflection of the complete lack of enthusiasm around the program

take a look at this website in 2013 and ill bet there’s a ton of posts about practice….. there was a hell of a lot of enthusiasm then.

irreparable damage?

Nah…..I just think you had a few posters (parents) who were more vocal.   I will say this…I’m  hearing a lot of good stuff from both sides of the ball.  However…depth will be an issue.   If Belfry can stay healthy…..they are gonna be a handful for most teams in 3A.  
(08-02-2024, 12:08 AM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:
(08-01-2024, 08:29 AM)Khalisimo Wrote: not a word from practice

irreparable damage?

Nah…..I just think you had a few posters (parents) who were more vocal.   I will say this…I’m  hearing a lot of good stuff from both sides of the ball.  However…depth will be an issue.   If Belfry can stay healthy…..they are gonna be a handful for most teams in 3A.  

And a ton more people going to Belfry games who were more vocal. Enthusiasm for Belfry football is about half of what it was at its peak. Belfry fanbase is spoiled and with good reason. They will be back in full force when the Pirates are back in the hunt for another championship. Being a handful for "most" teams in 3A doesn't cut it for Belfry fans.
And it's about to get tougher for Belfry after this year. 2A is much tougher than 3A.
I’m just not sure Belfry has the skill to win a championship. I fully believe in their O line. But who is gonna be that dude to take it to the house when they need that TD? Caudill? I think he’s definitely dynamic and has a great bloodline but he’s just small, and easily tackled. The younger Woolum? Maybe, that’s TBD, good thing we get to see soon. Belfry has some unanswered questions especially offensively but I believe the Pirates can be in the mix…. They were very close to at least making the title game last year. If they would get back to the mindset of playing their best players both ways, they could’ve possibly beaten Bell last year. Maybe they do, maybe they don’t, who knows. Going to be another fun season of football in East Ky
[-] The following 1 user Likes Micro-Brew's post:
  • jetpilot
I'm behind Belfry all the way. I love 2 Pike Co teams being at Kroger.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Micro-Brew
I’m with ya JP. Good luck Pirates in all but 1 game.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Micro-Brew's post:
  • jetpilot
(08-02-2024, 12:41 AM)jetpilot Wrote: And it's about to get tougher for Belfry after this year. 2A is much tougher than 3A.

The top is. There’s a path to make it far in the east in 2A. Ocath, Mayfield, LCA, all west teams.
(08-02-2024, 02:16 PM)Waitaminute Wrote:
(08-02-2024, 12:41 AM)jetpilot Wrote: And it's about to get tougher for Belfry after this year. 2A is much tougher than 3A.

The top is. There’s a path to make it far in the east in 2A. Ocath, Mayfield, LCA, all west teams.

I meant tougher to win a championship, which is how success is measured at Belfry. And Beecwood is in the east.
(08-02-2024, 09:17 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
(08-02-2024, 02:16 PM)Waitaminute Wrote:

I meant tougher to win a championship, which is how success is measured at Belfry. And Beecwood is in the east.

That’s true. My mind went to Somersets run last year. Get a good draw and avoid Beechwood and you can make it to the final four without much trouble in the east if you’re the 2 or 3.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Waitaminute's post:
  • jetpilot
Watched the scrimmage. Belfry looked good. Line got good push and moved the ball at will. Dominated Raceland
Raceland isn’t as strong upfront this year, very inexperienced. But man that Belfry line looked a lot like the Belfry lines that produced state titles tonight. Woolum kids looked really explosive. Lot of talent.
Our young dudes got smacked in the mouth tonight and had the deer in the headlights look. Lots to work on for the Rams
Belfry is for real. They have had talent but now they are a year older and healthy. Handful for anyone.
Belfry line looked really good on both sides of the ball. Offensive line looked very good. Qb made good reads. Also seen a few new things offensively I haven’t really seen before which was nice and seemed to really work when they used it. Defensively they seemed to play downhill and aggressive. This may be the best Belfry team since at least the 2019 state title. This scrimmage got me even more excited for the season.
[-] The following 1 user Likes pirateforlife's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
best LB group in a few years
davis is going to be an all stater one day