Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homeless People --- How Should They Be Dealt With?
What are your thoughts on the homeless problem? And it is a big problem and not just in big cities, either.  You see the homeless everywhere. I've seen them sleeping on park benches, gazebos, in restaurants, cemeteries, and even hospitals. I was visiting my dad in the hospital a couple weeks ago and hospital personnel told me they lock down the floors  after 9pm because the homeless have been making it a habit of coming in and camping out in the units and being a security risk to patients. 

You can't go to a Walmart without seeing a homeless person bumming for money(seems like a lot of "veterans" needing help and make their way to Walmart).  I saw a homeless woman and her service dog occupying a section in Wendys all week long awhile back. People were handing money and food to her(and her dog) right and left.  I've given food to homeless people many times but I don't give them money. From what I've observed,  many of them have issues with drugs and I don't want to enable their drug problem by helping finance their habit.

City officials all over the country are faced with a homeless problem. Do you run them off the streets, out of public places, put them in jail, or just let them be? Do you give them a choice between jail and a bed at a rehab facility? You know it's a real problem when hospitals are in lockdown mode at night because of a deluge of homeless people trying to occupy the units.

As a progressive, I empathize with those who are homeless but I also recognize that an out-of-control homeless population poses many significant problems for a community.  I'm sure that whatever town you're from, you've been a witness to this ever-growing problem. What is the correct approach, in your opinion, in dealing with people who camp out 24/7 in public places. Let them camp out or kick them off the curb?
(04-21-2024, 09:35 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: What are your thoughts on the homeless problem? And it is a big problem and not just in big cities, either.  You see the homeless everywhere. I've seen them sleeping on park benches, gazebos, in restaurants, cemeteries, and even hospitals. I was visiting my dad in the hospital a couple weeks ago and hospital personnel told me they lock down the floors  after 9pm because the homeless have been making it a habit of coming in and camping out in the units and being a security risk to patients. 

You can't go to a Walmart without seeing a homeless person bumming for money(seems like a lot of "veterans" needing help and make their way to Walmart).  I saw a homeless woman and her service dog occupying a section in Wendys all week long awhile back. People were handing money and food to her(and her dog) right and left.  I've given food to homeless people many times but I don't give them money. From what I've observed,  many of them have issues with drugs and I don't want to enable their drug problem by helping finance their habit.

City officials all over the country are faced with a homeless problem. Do you run them off the streets, out of public places, put them in jail, or just let them be? Do you give them a choice between jail and a bed at a rehab facility? You know it's a real problem when hospitals are in lockdown mode at night because of a deluge of homeless people trying to occupy the units.

As a progressive, I empathize with those who are homeless but I also recognize that an out-of-control homeless population poses many significant problems for a community.  I'm sure that whatever town you're from, you've been a witness to this ever-growing problem. What is the correct approach, in your opinion, in dealing with people who camp out 24/7 in public places. Let them camp out or kick them off the curb?

LOL! like liberals care more about the homeless than anyone else! (They don't.)

What you have actually done as a liberal is:
1. (Fake) virtue signal.
2. Not spend 1 second addressing what is causing this massive problem.
3. Not spend 1 second proposing any solution to the massive problem.
Forgot this in the earlier post - I hope your dad is better OSH.
(04-22-2024, 06:42 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Forgot this in the earlier post - I hope your dad is better OSH.

Thank you, my friend. I appreciate it. He's having a rough time. There comes a time when an old body just starts to give out. His is giving out. Was pretty sick when he went to the hospital and got even sicker while he was in there. Developed two nasty viruses while in the hospital. One was something called Clostridioides difficile (C- Diff), which was caused by too much antibiotic. It can damage the colon. The day that we sent dad to the hospital, my stepdad(who was wonderful to my sister and I) died as a result of  a fall and subsequent heart attack. In fact my step dad died while dad was en route to the hospital. Lost mom to a stroke last summer. Been tough, friend. Really appreciate your thought.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • jetpilot
(04-22-2024, 07:09 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(04-22-2024, 06:42 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Forgot this in the earlier post - I hope your dad is better OSH.

Thank you, my friend. I appreciate it. He's having a rough time. There comes a time when an old body just starts to give out. His is giving out. Was pretty sick when he went to the hospital and got even sicker while he was in there. Developed two nasty viruses while in the hospital. One was something called Clostridioides difficile (C- Diff), which was caused by too much antibiotic. It can damage the colon. The day that we sent dad to the hospital, my stepdad(who was wonderful to my sister and I) died as a result of  a fall and subsequent heart attack. In fact my step dad died while dad was en route to the hospital. Lost mom to a stroke last summer. Been tough, friend. Really appreciate your thought.
Yes sir. Been there and done that. Very sorry what you are going through. Really makes the stuff we choose to bicker about seem like nothing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Old School Hound

Old School, I am genuinely very sorry for all the things you have on your plate right now.  It's so hard going through family illnesses and deaths!  I hope your dad gets better very soon!  C-Diff can be difficult to treat and get cured.  It often times will come back with a vengence.  Like JP, I've been through similiar scenarios.  It never gets easier.
(04-23-2024, 06:41 AM)Granny Bear Wrote:

Old School, I am genuinely very sorry for all the things you have on your plate right now.  It's so hard going through family illnesses and deaths!  I hope your dad gets better very soon!  C-Diff can be difficult to treat and get cured.  It often times will come back with a vengence.  Like JP, I've been through similiar scenarios.  It never gets easier.

Thank you, granny. You're a doll.  Wish you and family all the best health and happiness. Was saddened to hear about your loss that you spoke of awhile back.  It's so hard to lose loved ones. I've been bless to have loving parents and step parents. Devastating to see them leave, especially in such rapid succession.