Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bad Weather Hitting Kentucky
How’s every doing and preparing for this bad storm thst is coming through our area? I’ve been watching weather broadcasts all day hoping these guys have it wrong but it ain’t looking good. 

How’s everyone preparing and praying everyone stays safe!
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
I never really prepare other than follow the weather coverage. We have a basement. Hopefully, I never have to go there for weather related issues.

When I lived the in Bourbon Co about 25 years ago, my mom called one night to ask if I was ok. I asked why she was concerned about me. She had seen on the news that a tornado had taken the roof off of the Paris Wal Mart. I lived about a mile away and didn't know. I never lost power, tv, or telephone service.
(04-02-2024, 05:19 PM)Westside Wrote: I never really prepare other than follow the weather coverage.  We have a basement.  Hopefully, I never have to go there for weather related issues. 

When I lived the in Bourbon Co about 25 years ago, my mom called one night to ask if I was ok.  I asked why she was concerned about me.  She had seen on the news that a tornado had taken the roof off of the Paris Wal Mart.  I lived about a mile away and didn't know.  I never lost power, tv, or telephone service.

That's wild Westy. I like to stay aware but I don't know that I ever prepare besides making sure my computer and laptop is charged.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
THis is who I watch for my weather news. He lives in Pikeville

#BBFL
[-] The following 2 users Like Spud6's post:
  • jetpilot, Westside
Almost 50 years ago to the day  since THIS !!!!! One of the freakiest weather days and nights of my life.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • Westside
Just got off the phone with my mom in Raceland. She said a tree fell on a utility pole in the yard and has wires down in the yard and on the road. The road in front of her house is closed right now. A smaller utility pole fell on her shed. At this moment, she somehow still has electricity, but her landline phone and TV are both out and has no damage to the house. She was going through another round of storms while I was on the phone.
Several of my Facebook friends who live in the Ashland area has posted many pictures. Some areas look like a war zone.
Stay safe hope all of you come out with minimal damage.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[-] The following 2 users Like Jarons's post:
  • jetpilot, Spud6
Glad to hear it didn't affect her house Jarsons. Today was a wild day for sure, I've not followed weather like I have recently but all the tornados and cells popping up from ohion, indiana, kentucky, tennessee, west virginia and even virginia were pretty scary to watch on radar. And just to think I have my AC running right now in my house to keep it at &0 degrees and thursday I'll have to flip it back over to heat because we'll be getting snow flurries. Kentucky weather at its finest.
#BBFL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spud6's post:
  • jetpilot
Well, Harlan County got hit with two tornado warnings. I don't ever remember that happening. Both cells had radar confirmed rotation, and both went directly over my house. Almost exact same path for these two storms until they got a little north of where I live. Then the second storm veered off to the west about 2 miles from where the first storm went. Crazy night.
(04-03-2024, 03:39 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: Well, Harlan County got hit with two tornado warnings.  I don't ever remember that happening.  Both cells had radar confirmed rotation, and both went directly over my house.  Almost exact same path for these two storms until they got a little north of where I live.  Then the second storm veered off to the west about 2 miles from where the first storm went.  Crazy night.

Glad all is good GB. Tornado warning in Pikeville too and there was wild thunder for about 5 minutes but then it was gone.
Believe it or not, but that was the first super cell that went through Harlan County. WYMT tracked that cell from Scott Co, TN, and it stayed organized for 300 miles!!
You live in that Appalachia tunnel that just runs that bottom of the mountain don't you Granny?
#BBFL
Spud, the widest part of my valley would be about a mile. Most of it is only a couple hundred yards wide. That's between Pine Mountain and Big Black Mountain. So yes, it's the tunnel for US 119.
(04-04-2024, 01:42 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: Spud, the widest part of my valley would be about a mile.  Most of it is only a couple hundred yards wide.  That's between Pine Mountain and Big Black Mountain.  So yes, it's the tunnel for US 119.

The weather guy I was following was calling that area the tornado valley.
#BBFL