Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early takeaways in the 14th
Interested to see what others think:

Knott and Estill are better at this point than I expected. 

Breathitt and Powell could go either way

Wolfe and Hazard have been disappointing. 

-Estill dismantled Wolfe Co, played Bourbon Co with their ace on the mound to a 1-0 game, and have played an incredibly tough schedule. 

-Knott has shown to handle 14th region competition very well, outside of an early loss to Powell they’ve handled the rest of their region opponents. 

-Powell has some decent wins over East Carter, and a rebuilding Montgomery Co. they’ve also had some head scratchers so still deciding which team I think they are. Definitely gonna have to hit the ball and find a lineup that works. 

-Breathitt has a good close loss to a really good Pikeville team, but then barely beats a struggling Paintsville team. We will see what they do when they get back from Florida. 

-Hazard doesn’t have any quality wins by my estimation. Maybe Floyd Central or Johnson Central (not the JC of old)

-Wolfe has been the biggest disappointment for me so far. For a team I had in my top 3 of the region I’m not seeing it so far. They’ve split with Johnson Central and kinda took it on the chin against Knott and Estill. 

What say you guys?
I Knott has been Better than expected. They don’t have a true ace but they have 4 kids who can all throw. If they can get their bats going they will be a tough out. I think they might be a year out still. But be fun to watch them as the season goes along.

Breathitt has been somewhat of a disappointment. If Bellamy isn’t on the mound i don’t see them making a deep run. I think everyone didn’t account for losing combs in the lineup and pitching. They still have time to get back to the winning ways. until Bellamy gets back healthy it will out a strain on the pitching staff.

Wolfe has been the biggest head scratcher for me. Good some days others not so much. I said preseason they will have to be figure out how to get up for all the games and not just the big ones. They have good pitchers and solid hitters.

Hazard if they find a solid three pitchers they will be right there. They have a good defense. Don’t know if they can score enough to beat the top teams until their pitchers figure it out.

Powell has beat some good teams. Best everyone they were suppose to beat. Struggled against Rowan who is ranked in the state and Harrison co who was preseason number 9. Besides that they have taken care of business. Needs to hit more consistent like when they played East Carter and had 12 hits.
The verdict is still out on estill. They play powell tomorrow. They seem to either be in the games or blown out. I’m assuming by that they only have one or two pitchers. I know hix is probably their top probably Neace right behind him. They beat Wolfe 5-0 which Wolfe has so far been a little disappointing but has also dealt with injuries. So don’t know how much weight that win that holds just yet. So after tomorrow they play powell we will have a better idea on both of those teams.

Perry is decent. They need to get combs back fully and maybe take the load off the pitching staff. They are missing a number one. with combs able to pitch they would have enough tools to make a deep run. The Perkins kid has done well on the mound. Decent defense just need to string hits together.

If I had to do a order so far I would probably go

Powell
Knott
Breathitt
Hazard
Estill
Perry
Wolfe

My 1,2,3 could go either way. I give the nod to powell cause they beat Knott already and Breathitt has injuries. After that I think the order is correct. If Breathitt doesn’t get Bellamy back I would drop them down to 4,5 and move hazard up.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Baseball247's post:
  • Radial_Armsaw
Not sure what happened but Estill is no longer playing Bourbon County on Monday, they are going to Lewis County instead. Not sure if something came up with Bourbon or what the deal was.
(03-28-2024, 09:25 PM)Baseball247 Wrote: I Knott has been Better than expected. They don’t have a true ace but they have 4 kids who can all throw. If they can get their bats going they will be a tough out. I think they might be a year out still. But be fun to watch them as the season goes along.

Breathitt has been somewhat of a disappointment. If Bellamy isn’t on the mound i don’t see them making a deep run. I think everyone didn’t account for losing combs in the lineup and pitching. They still have time to get back to the winning ways. until Bellamy  gets back healthy it will out a strain on the pitching staff.

Wolfe has been the biggest head scratcher for me. Good some days others not so much. I said preseason they will have to be figure out how to get up for all the games and not just the big ones. They have good pitchers and solid hitters.

Hazard if they find a solid three pitchers they will be right there. They have a good defense. Don’t know if they can score enough to beat the top teams until their pitchers figure it out.

Powell has beat some good teams.  Best everyone they were suppose to beat. Struggled against Rowan who is ranked in the state and Harrison co who was preseason number 9. Besides that they have taken care of business. Needs to hit more consistent like when they played East Carter and had 12 hits.
The verdict is still out on estill. They play powell tomorrow. They seem to either be in the games or blown out. I’m assuming by that they only have one or two pitchers. I know hix is probably their top probably Neace right behind him. They beat Wolfe 5-0 which Wolfe has so far been a little disappointing but has also dealt with injuries. So don’t know how much weight that win that holds just yet. So after tomorrow they play powell we will have a better idea on both of those teams.

Perry is decent. They need to get combs back fully and maybe take the load off the pitching staff. They are missing a number one. with combs able to pitch they would have enough tools to  make  a deep run. The Perkins kid has done well on the mound. Decent defense just need to string hits together.

If I had to do a order so far I would probably go

Powell
Knott
Breathitt
Hazard
Estill
Perry
Wolfe

My 1,2,3 could go either way. I give the  nod to powell cause they beat Knott already and Breathitt has injuries. After that I think the order is correct. If Breathitt doesn’t get Bellamy back I would drop them down to 4,5 and move hazard up.

I think this list is pretty accurate. Powell seems to be playing well, Knott has surprised me. We will be fine at Hazard but it’s gonna take some time. By the end of the season I think we will be a contender. Estill I don’t know much about. Perry just is pretty young so I don’t see them making much of a push. With Bellamy being sidelined it’s hurt Breathitt. Same with Wolfe. I heard yesterday that Wilson is out for the year, if so that’s a huge blow for them. I still think the region is up for grabs with no clear cut favorite at this point
It’s early in the season with these teams, so it’s hard to judge them, especially if some have injuries. Wolfe bounced back from a L in Knott this week to beat Montgomery last night 16-6, and hit the ball.
After March, here is my take:

1. Powell - 9-3 record; lost by 1 to Mason, beat by Rowan and Harrison badly; have taken care of business in the region; 2 good wins against Knott, beat Estill, and Perry
2. Knott - 8-3 record; lost by Powell twice and Clay; quality wins against Wolfe, Leslie, Hazard, Letcher and Perry
3. Breathitt - 5-7 record; played a tough schedule outside of region; no quality wins in region to this point; Bellamy has to get healthy
4. Estill - 3-5 record; lost to Powell; beat Wolfe and mostly played tough schedule outside of region
5. Wolfe - 5-4 record; bad loss to Estill early on; beat Montgomery 2x (Montgomery is down); beat Perry

6. Hazard
7. Perry
8. Leslie
9. Letcher
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Weatherman's post:
  • Baseball247
Powell was around .500 last year and this year 9-3 to start the season. They have a good group of junior seniors that are now starting to show through or what's their setup?
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
(04-04-2024, 07:16 PM)Spud6 Wrote: Powell was around .500 last year and this year 9-3 to start the season.  They have a good group of junior seniors that are now starting to show through or what's their setup?
I don’t think so. Actually one of the seniors looks to be having a very down year so far. Seems to me the pitching staff is keeping them in games.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Radial_Armsaw's post:
  • Spud6
Why did the Hughes kid quit at Perry?
Powell and Knott are playing the best right now, based on their records. The others are not far behind them. I don’t see any dominant team in the 14th. I believe the 14th is still wide open. All A is coming up next week. Looking at the bracket, it’s will come down to the bottom half winner ( Hazard, Wolfe, Breathitt) We will see who can string together some wins in a row.
Said it was due to an extreme case of Daddy Ball.
(04-05-2024, 02:16 AM)Radial_Armsaw Wrote:
(04-04-2024, 07:16 PM)Spud6 Wrote: Powell was around .500 last year and this year 9-3 to start the season.  They have a good group of junior seniors that are now starting to show through or what's their setup?
I don’t think so. Actually one of the seniors looks to be having a very down year so far. Seems to me the pitching staff is keeping them in games.
I agree their pitching staff has definitely carried them the first half of the season. But they have also been hitting the baseball as well. They have combined to hit 99 hits which I think is tops in the region and they haven’t played any bad teams so far. Two of the seniors are batting in the 300’s and the other two are right there at it. One of those has two home runs and the other is leading the team RBI’s and has hit well just right at players. From the outside looking in they seem to enjoy being around each other and they are having fun. So should take them far.
Knott is killing the ball right now. Love to know what they are hitting. Us and powell are moving along. Wolfe is a sleeper young bunch but can really play. The rest are kinda separate from the top 4 imo
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bluegrassbredbobcat's post:
  • bsblfan13
Frank spencer is easily the best coach in the 14th, his ability to fire up his players and prepare them for tough situations is very impressive. although i think estill is underrated i find that powell is definitely top of the region.
The engineers are the most underrated team in the region. I think powell is still easily on top because of the spectacular coaching staff, The way coach Spencer can fire them up and prepare them for stressful situations is unlike any other coach in the region.
(04-05-2024, 07:09 PM)Engineerfan165 Wrote: The engineers are the most underrated team in the region. I think powell is still easily on top because of the spectacular coaching staff, The way coach Spencer can fire them up and prepare them for stressful situations is unlike any other coach in the region.
I’m hoping this is satire. With Chris Varney in the region everyone else is 2nd when it comes to coaching ability til proven otherwise.
I disagree a bit with varney. He left powell knowing they would be good then would have a few rough years. Then went to Montgomery where they had a great
Team coming up. Those boys all traveled with the tribe in travel and was good already. Varney then left a year esrly
Knowing they would be good. He leaves on a high not on a low. went to Clark cause the talent was really good and young. Under performed and had problems with parents and boosters. I personally think he is a good coach but I’ve not seen him win and rebuild a program. To me I’ve see him chasing talent. He is at hazard now and has to rebuild. So we shall see how he overcomes this and if he is as good of a coach as everyone thinks he is.
Varney’s first year at Powell, the year before they graduated 5 seniors all were starters. He inherited only 4 returning starters and won the region that year.
Who is the best baseball coach in the 14th?
Probably have to be two middle school coaches. Johnny Wooten at Perry and Mike Davidson at Hazard. Both are better than any HS coach in the region. But the best HS Coach is Sean Damron from Knott. Just my opinion.
(04-08-2024, 01:00 AM)Desperado888 Wrote: Probably have to be two middle school coaches.  Johnny Wooten at Perry and Mike Davidson at Hazard.  Both are better than any HS coach in the region.  But the best HS Coach is Sean Damron from Knott.  Just my opinion.
Can’t really argue that Damron gets more out of the talent he has than anyone in the region.
Just heard that Powell had walked it off against Rowan County. I didn’t have a chance to watch it but looking at the stats it looks like everyone on the Pirates roster did their job tonight. If this doesn’t prove that Powell is top of the region, then I don’t know what will. My takeaway so far in the region is:
 1.Powell
 2.Knott
 3.Hazard
 4. Breathitt
 5. Wolfe
 6. Estill
 7. Perry

I know some won’t agree but then again this is just my opinion on how things are right now.
[-] The following 2 users Like bsblfan13's post:
  • Bluecat, stoicbaseball
is it even a question if powells the best in the region anymore. There’s no other team in the 14th even competing with Rowan.
(04-09-2024, 12:29 AM)bsblfan13 Wrote: Just heard that Powell had walked it off against Rowan County. I didn’t have a chance to watch it but looking at the stats it looks like everyone on the Pirates roster did their job tonight. If this doesn’t prove that Powell is top of the region, then I don’t know what will. My takeaway so far in the region is:
 1.Powell
 2.Knott
 3.Hazard
 4. Breathitt
 5. Wolfe
 6. Estill
 7. Perry

I know some won’t agree but then again this is just my opinion on how things are right now.
Looks pretty accurate
[-] The following 1 user Likes 14th Official's post:
  • stoicbaseball
(04-09-2024, 12:29 AM)bsblfan13 Wrote: Just heard that Powell had walked it off against Rowan County. I didn’t have a chance to watch it but looking at the stats it looks like everyone on the Pirates roster did their job tonight. If this doesn’t prove that Powell is top of the region, then I don’t know what will. My takeaway so far in the region is:
 1.Powell
 2.Knott
 3.Hazard
 4. Breathitt
 5. Wolfe
 6. Estill
 7. Perry

Good list
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bluecat's post:
  • stoicbaseball
The region should be really fun this year. Multiple teams can win. Depends on the draw and who has the most arms.

Where is region at this year?
Powell definitely has it going right now
I’d flip Estill and Wolfe. Estill already beat Wolfe once this year at Wolfe. Other than that it’s pretty accurate.
estill county will definitely win the 2a, powell pitched both of their best
Who do you guys have as the best player in the region?