Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024-2025 Kentucky Roster Construction
Who stays and who goes? I'm seeing a lot of names, but not a lot of spots, so some players who shouldn't are going pro (or transferring) or some commits may not be honored. All of this is also before you even consider grad transfers.

Graduating:
Reeves, Mitchell, and Watkins

Definitely Going Pro:
Dillingham

Probably Staying:
Thiero, Onyenso, Ivisic

Staying or Transferring:
Burks, Hart

Staying or Going Pro:
Sheppard, Wagner

Staying, Going Pro, or Transferring:
Edwards, Bradshaw

Incoming Freshmen Who've Signed:
Quaintance, Fland, Cyril, Perry

Incoming Freshmen Who've Committed But Haven't Signed:
Richmond, Knox

Additional Points to Consider:

- Sheppard has a decision to make... as discussed in another thread, this is a weak draft and some player's stock may never be higher, even if they significantly improve after returning for another year of college;

- There is absolutely no way that the three 7-footers stay plus Quaintance and Cyril come in; I can't even see Onyenso and Ivisic both returning AND Cyril, Quaintance, and Thiero all also being there;

- Bradshaw seems most likely big to be done, whether it's going pro or transferring (as rumored this preseason);

- If Ivisic declares for the draft, he cannot withdraw his name and return-- he's already declared twice and is tapped out there... he hasn't played well enough to be drafted;

- Onyenso, reportedly led by those he considers to be his inner-circle, thought about leaving last offseason before ultimately returning;

- Thiero seems like the most likely returnee, but who knows with all of the other moving parts & Quaintance, who has a similar build, being the center piece of this class;

- Probably a better chance that Wagner is back than Bradshaw, but if so, at what cost?; Fland has already signed and pundits seemed to think that Richmond was one of the most committed to Kentucky during his recruitment and Knox is a legacy that we just went out and closed on;

- Edwards probably has the most to gain from coming back-- no incoming freshman would immediately command his role or spot, nor would any returnee... I could also see him benefiting much more from transferring to a program closer to home that will put all of their chips on the table and invest everything in him... he's apparently already 20 and there are some concerns about him being too old as is, so another collegiate year is also risky;

- Hart probably gets thanked for his service and replaced by Perry, even though they aren't really the same type of player;

Thumbnail(s)

Reed has to leave. If you are still a top 5 draft pick still after his last three or four games then you have to go. You can only go down by coming pack, at the beginning of March he was the 1st pick on the mock drafts. You have to go Injuries could happen or you just have a terrible season and then you drop out of the lottery and lsoe a lot of money.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Reed Sheppard will be swallowed up by the NBA. He was clearly scared and intimidated by the likes of Jack Gohlke and the Oakland Raiders. He'll wet his shorts at the sight of Draymond Green and the Morris twins.
Reading tea leaves from Calipari's press conference earlier today: if Cal is back, then Wagner, Sheppard, or even both are back as well. As beat up as he is right now, I don't think he'd have made a comment like that if it wasn't something that he could deliver on. I did find it interesting that he only seemed to mention guards coming back though.

That, and pursuing Clifford Omoruyi so publicly in the transfer portal tells me that at least two of Onyenso, Bradshaw, or Ivisic is out. Of that group, I think it'd hurt the most to lose Ivisic just because of everything we went through to get him and the fact that he's got the most unique skill set. If I had to guess, both Bradshaw and Onyenso are gone. Even if he's back, Onyenso is never going to be more than a shot blocker who is serviceable as a rim-runner or rebound-and-putback type on offense.

Omoruyi is a physical, banger type. He averaged 10 pts., 8 rebounds, and 3 blocks per game last season. His game mirrors what you think you'd get from Cyril's, who by all accounts, is still very raw. I also don't see them not honoring Cyril's LOI, but I guess anything could happen.

Jayden Quaintance is the highest ranked recruit in the class. He's more finesse than banger, but he's definitely not a one-to-one with Tre Mitchell. He'll only be 17 in July and will have to spend two seasons in college before being draft eligible. Still strikes me as young and raw-- not the type that Calipari needs to be staking the rest of his career at Kentucky on.

There's obviously a possibility that Thiero leaves, but I still think he's the most likely returnee. Going to assume that Edwards is gone, whether to play professionally or to another school.

Fland transitions into Dillingham's spot. Probably not going to be quite as good offensively, at least when it comes to making shots, but probably a better facilitator and better defensively due to his size alone.

I like Billy Richmond, and he's my favorite recruit not named Boogie, but he's also much more of a defender/slasher than he is a scorer. He's from the same Camden, NJ programs as Bradshaw and Wagner and committed in December but remains unsigned, so whatever happens with those two probably impacts how his story ends. Either way, think of Richmond as a MKG offensively and you probably won't be disappointed; most of his highlight tapes are stellar defensive plays and dunks. He's a very, very long way from the NBA in terms of offensive skill and isn't going to close that gap in only one year.

What I'm seeing so far is the opportunity to have an improved, more consistent front court, or at least one that has a chance at getting a rebound if we play the portal. What really worries me is that if the roster is primarily composed of the following, then there's going to be a real lack of proven scoring and there's no obvious choice to step into Reeves' role immediately:

PG - Fland, Wagner, Perry
SG - Sheppard, Richmond,
SF - ???, Thiero, Burks, Knox
PF - Quaintance,
C - ???, Ivisic, Cyril

The above line-up assumes a few things:
1.) the return of Sheppard, Wagner, Thiero, Ivisic, and Burks;
2.) all incoming scholarships, including Perry & those committed but unsigned, will be honored;
3.) the addition of one post player (either PF or C) in the transfer portal;
4.) the addition of one scoring guard or wing (PG, SG, or SF) in the portal;

Cal says "no one gets pushed out" but I could easily see Burks being the casualty in all of this... if Theiro returns and Knox comes in, he could be seen as expendable, which is unfortunate because I could see him being someone that really contributes in years three and four.

I don't know who starts if Wagner, Sheppard, and Fland are all there (and look how that turned out this season). I could also see the above shifting entirely if Wagner and Richmond are out of the fold. If Calipari has been dangling Reed's return as a carrot to keep fans off of his back, it may not be the worst thing, but he needs to deliver and find someone who can score and defend in the portal. If the Calipari's possible "returning guard" that he'd alluded to during this press conference is only Wagner, then he should be ready for all of the blowback that's going to come his way.

In the event that anyone but Calipari is coaching the team next season, then it's an absolute free-for-all. The only thing I'd say for sure is that Sheppard would be able to return if he wanted and that Perry is in as long as his scholarship or roster spot is going to be honored. No Cal and there's definitely be a mass exodus of players, and who stays will probably be dependent on the next coach, but there'll be a ton of activity in the portal regardless.
First surprise of the offseason: Adiou Thiero is entering the transfer portal. Not shocked, but I also thought he'd stay given the fact that he was a legacy recruit and how Calipari had stuck with him as a starter.

Probably still a chance he comes back to Kentucky, but an interesting development that he was the first domino to fall.
Theirro hurting makes me sad. I liked him and the energy he played with
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Dang I kept reading from one account on here that all the players worshiped Cal and trusted him above all else? Obviously Thiero saw the dumpster fire that is UK basketball from the inside and wants to get away from it.
(03-28-2024, 09:15 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Dang I kept reading from one account on here that all the players worshiped Cal and trusted him above all else? Obviously Thiero saw the dumpster fire that is UK basketball from the inside and wants to get away from it.

Definitely not saying that it's what's happening here, but I know more than a few around programs and in the media feel that there'll be players who dip in and out of the portal to see if it brings an NIL raise from anyone else that their original school would then need to match or beat to keep them. So essentially free agency, only with different terms.
(03-28-2024, 10:58 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote:
(03-28-2024, 09:15 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Dang I kept reading from one account on here that all the players worshiped Cal and trusted him above all else? Obviously Thiero saw the dumpster fire that is UK basketball from the inside and wants to get away from it.

Definitely not saying that it's what's happening here, but I know more than a few around programs and in the media feel that there'll be players who dip in and out of the portal to see if it brings an NIL raise from anyone else that their original school would then need to match or beat to keep them. So essentially free agency, only with different terms.

I get what you are saying but I'm not throwing a nickel at someone in the portal unless it's for a cab ride to the airport.

WRONG!

(03-28-2024, 10:58 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote:

BANG!!! BANG!!!
^^^Good comeback sore chin.
02-12-2023, 11:45 PM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2023, 11:59 PM by Old School Hound.)
(02-12-2023, 09:24 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
(02-11-2023, 11:29 PM)Van Hagar Wrote:
Just as a quick addition of salt to the wounds, Keion Brooks is leading Washington this year, averaging 18 points and 7 rebounds a game. And Bryce Hopkins, who was a clear talent that was totally mishandled, is averaging 16 and 9 for Providence and is considered a contender for Big East player of the year.

Don't forget Johnny Juzang. Averaged 2.9 for Cal at UK, transferred to UCLA and averaged 16.0 and 15.6 for the Bruins the next two seasons. Now playing in the NBA.

No one gets more dudes to the NBA than our Cal.  You all will be singing his praises after Big Blue wins #9 next season.
If UK has a dozen losses next season and misses the tourney or has a first game exit, then I'll be ready to move on from Cal. Do you all really think Scott Drew offers UK a better chance to advance to a FF next season than Cal does with his 5-star recruits? I say give the Jersey Boy a chance to make a deep run next season.
^^^This is from the crazy guy who can't even remember his own crazy sh!t
The worst part is, if UK can't beat anyone next year for the umpteenth year in a row, he will be spewing his same Cal sh!t. That's the worst part. I know what he will spew long before he even knows. I know it's funny and crazy but it's a fact. LOL
Not being widely reported, but Kentucky expressed at least some interest in South Carolina guard Meechie Johnson, who ultimately decided to transfer back to Ohio State.
CJ, do you think we go after the FAU guard that entered the portal?
#BBFL
(04-03-2024, 11:44 AM)Spud6 Wrote: CJ, do you think we go after the FAU guard that entered the portal?

He's originally from the Chicago area and Kentucky has been able to recruit the area well. We probably express interest but thinking that we ultimately see him follow May to Michigan or stay in the NBA Draft.
(04-03-2024, 12:01 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote:
(04-03-2024, 11:44 AM)Spud6 Wrote: CJ, do you think we go after the FAU guard that entered the portal?

He's originally from the Chicago area and Kentucky has been able to recruit the area well. We probably express interest but thinking that we ultimately see him follow May to Michigan or stay in the NBA Draft.

Boogie Fland showing out last night probably put a hurt on us getting a fringe guard to come in because Fland is going to be good and then you have the uncertainty of if Reed stays or leaves.
#BBFL
(04-03-2024, 12:06 PM)Spud6 Wrote: Boogie Fland showing out last night probably put a hurt on us getting a fringe guard to come in because Fland is going to be good and then you have the uncertainty of if Reed stays or leaves.

Kentucky needs a lot. I think that Sheppard is the only player that they can really afford to wait on when it comes to a stay or go decision.

Anyone else needs to make a firm decision and do so now. Waiting on Tshiebwe last year ended up costing us in the long run-- it hurt the chances of getting Dickinson and he ended up leaving himself.

This isn't the year to be a "player's first" program. The fans are the ones who'll be here year after year (read: once the player's are gone); they'll support the system in exchange for success (in March) but that hasn't been there lately.

I'm not against anyone coming back and think that, long term, you need a guy like a Jordan Burks to stay in your program and develop over a few years. At the same time, as contradictory as it sounds, I think that Ivisic, Sheppard, and maybe Edwards are the only ones that I'd really like to have back.

PG: Fland,

SG: Sheppard,

SG/SF/Wing: Knox (6th/7th man),

SF/PF: Thiero, Edwards, or a transfer portal addition that is similar,

PF/C: Quaintance, Ivisic, Cyril,

That's seven spots.

Add in three players from the portal: 1.) a two way transfer portal guard who defends very well... Sheppard and Fland are both 6'2-6'3 and aren't great on-ball defenders, 2.) a starting or 6th man caliber wing who also defends well, 3.) a transfer portal big that brings the combination of physicality, toughness, experience, and rebounding ability that the PF/C category lacks.

Now you are at 10 and have a pretty good foundation. Perry makes 11.

That leaves two available scholarships. If you sign Billy Richmond, that's 12. Assuming Sheppard, Ivisic, and Thiero/Edwards are all back, you can still bring back a Jordan Burks, add another piece in the portal, take a flyer on an international player that Welch finds, or see if there's a late breaking situation like we saw with Tre Mitchell this past season.

I think he leaves, but regardless of what Sheppard does, everything is still contingent on assuming that you can really play the portal well. I guess that the possibilities are there, but you need to find three or even four guys who can play starter quality roles and minutes.

What's really worrisome is that you really can't have ANY misses, because we don't have the type of gamebreaker like a Camby, Rose, Davis, Wall, Cousins, or Towns that Cal has always needed to reach his peak.

What's at least encouraging: of this year's Final Four teams, only seven of the twenty starters began their at their current school (Purdue - 4, UConn - 2, Alabama- 1, NC State - 0).

If you look at the Elite Eight though, that same figure is 21/40 (Duke - 5, Tennessee- 4, Clemson - 3, Illinois - 2).

One or even a handful of years obviously won't be statistically significant data, but if UConn (who only had one starter who came out of the portal last season) can repeat, then it will show that it can be done.
(04-03-2024, 01:46 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote:
(04-03-2024, 12:06 PM)Spud6 Wrote: Boogie Fland showing out last night probably put a hurt on us getting a fringe guard to come in because Fland is going to be good and then you have the uncertainty of if Reed stays or leaves.

Kentucky needs a lot. I think that Sheppard is the only player that they can really afford to wait on when it comes to a stay or go decision.

Anyone else needs to make a firm decision and do so now. Waiting on Tshiebwe last year ended up costing us in the long run-- it hurt the chances of getting Dickinson and he ended up leaving himself.

This isn't the year to be a "player's first" program. The fans are the ones who'll be here year after year (read: once the player's are gone); they'll support the system in exchange for success (in March) but that hasn't been there lately.

I'm not against anyone coming back and think that, long term, you need a guy like a Jordan Burks to stay in your program and develop over a few years. At the same time, as contradictory as it sounds, I think that Ivisic,  Sheppard, and maybe Edwards are the only ones that I'd really like to have back.

PG: Fland,

SG: Sheppard,

SG/SF/Wing: Knox (6th/7th man),

SF/PF: Thiero, Edwards, or a transfer portal addition that is similar,

PF/C: Quaintance, Ivisic, Cyril,

That's seven spots.

Add in three players from the portal: 1.) a two way transfer portal guard who defends very well... Sheppard and Fland are both 6'2-6'3 and aren't great on-ball defenders, 2.) a starting or 6th man caliber wing who also defends well, 3.) a transfer portal big that brings the combination of physicality, toughness, experience, and rebounding ability that the PF/C category lacks.

Now you are at 10 and have a pretty good foundation. Perry makes 11.

That leaves two available scholarships. If you sign Billy Richmond, that's 12. Assuming Sheppard, Ivisic, and Thiero/Edwards are all back, you can still bring back a Jordan Burks, add another piece in the portal, take a flyer on an international player that Welch finds, or see if there's a late breaking situation like we saw with Tre Mitchell this past season.

I think he leaves, but regardless of what Sheppard does, everything is still contingent on assuming that you can really play the portal well. I guess that the possibilities are there, but you need to find three or even four guys who can play starter quality roles and minutes.

What's really worrisome is that you really can't have ANY misses, because we don't have the type of gamebreaker like a Camby, Rose, Davis, Wall, Cousins, or Towns that Cal has always needed to reach his peak.

What's at least encouraging: of this year's Final Four teams, only seven of the twenty starters began their at their current school (Purdue - 4, UConn - 2, Alabama- 1, NC State - 0).

If you look at the Elite Eight though, that same figure is 21/40 (Duke - 5, Tennessee- 4, Clemson - 3, Illinois - 2).

One or even a handful of years obviously  won't be statistically significant data, but if UConn (who only had one starter who came out of the portal last season) can repeat, then it will show that it can be done.

I would love to have Edwards back. I really think that he was starting to find his stride towards the end of the year with his confidence and his shooting stroke. Played terrible in the tournament game but most of our team did. Having him at the 3 and Thiero at the 4 would be awesome but Theiro in my opinion is not a starter and should be a 6th man cause he brings the grit and meanness to the court that the rest lack especially when we have a soft and lanky 5 man in Ivisic
#BBFL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spud6's post:
  • Cactus Jack
(04-03-2024, 01:57 PM)Spud6 Wrote: I would love to have Edwards back. I really think that he was starting to find his stride towards the end of the year with his confidence and his shooting stroke. Played terrible in the tournament game but most of our team did. Having him at the 3 and Thiero at the 4 would be awesome but Theiro in my opinion is not a starter and should be a 6th man cause he brings the grit and meanness to the court that the rest lack especially when we have a soft and lanky 5 man in Ivisic

Edwards could really help himself out by coming back and having a big year. Right now, he's a fringe first rounder and there are concerns about his fitness. Playing well enough to slide to a projection toward the end of the lottery next season while also getting some NIL money would definitely be worth it.

Don't know if he'll bet on himself given that he's already 20 and could lose a lot by coming back and just having a marginally better season though.
(03-28-2024, 11:51 PM)jetpilot Wrote: The worst part is, if UK can't beat anyone next year for the umpteenth year in a row, he will be spewing his same Cal sh!t. That's the worst part. I know what he will spew long before he even knows. I know it's funny and crazy but it's a fact. LOL

Thing about guys like our buddy Jetpilot is , if he was actually in the presence of Coach Cal, he would fawn all over him like he was his biggest fan. "So nice to finally meet you, Coach. I'm your biggest fan. So glad to have you as our coach. Thanks for being such a role model to our kids and respresenting our school so well. "    Yada, yada, yada.  Fake.

Smile
(04-03-2024, 06:56 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(03-28-2024, 11:51 PM)jetpilot Wrote: The worst part is, if UK can't beat anyone next year for the umpteenth year in a row, he will be spewing his same Cal sh!t. That's the worst part. I know what he will spew long before he even knows. I know it's funny and crazy but it's a fact. LOL

Thing about guys like our buddy Jetpilot is , if he was actually in the presence of Coach Cal, he would fawn all over him like he was his biggest fan. "So nice to finally meet you, Coach. I'm your biggest fan. So glad to have you as our coach. Thanks for being such a role model to our kids and respresenting our school so well. "    Yada, yada, yada.  Fake.

Smile

You are the butt sniffer. I would be very polite but tell him as a UK alum in no uncertain terms to please in the name of all that does not suck win some f@cking thing.
Aaron Bradshaw just announced he’s entering the transfer portal. Domino #1 has fallen
#BBFL
This day just keeps getting better and better
(04-08-2024, 12:27 PM)Spud6 Wrote: Aaron Bradshaw just announced he’s entering the transfer portal. Domino #1 has fallen

Oh well...

I suspect that Sheppard may go pro given the additional uncertainty. If so, Perry may be the only incoming player or returnee who winds up suiting up for Kentucky. As a matter of fact, fans should probably brace for that scenario.

Given the portal, at least there's a good chance that next year isn't entirely lost.

Does make you wonder how quickly Kentucky will need to find a new coach and whether the school can convince an Ivisic or Onyenso to stay.

At the end of the day, next year could be much worse than the disappointment we've gotten from Calipari lately, but the Cl situation wasn't getting any better and that Band-Aid needed ripped off at some point.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cactus Jack's post:
  • jetpilot
Graduating:
Reeves, Mitchell, Watkins

Definitely Going Pro:
Dillingham, Edwards,

Staying or Going Pro:
Sheppard,

Transferring:
Bradshaw,

Transferring or Going Pro:
Wagner,

Staying, Going Pro, or Transferring:
Onyenso, Ivisic, Thiero,

Staying or Transferring:
Burks, Hart,

Incoming Freshmen Who've Signed:
Quaintance, Fland, Cyril, Perry,

Incoming Freshmen Who've Committed But Haven't Signed:
Richmond, Knox,

Sheppard is the only player that I see who is either returning to Kentucky or going pro; I don't see a world where he goes to Arkansas. The decision is between staying in a weak draft when your stock is already high versus betting on yourself (and your new coach and system) in coming back next season. I'm not going to be surprised however it works, but I think he should look out for himself and go.

Otherwise, Perry is the only incoming recruit locked in to Kentucky.

Thiero, Onyenso, and Ivisic could go a number of ways. I could see them winding up with Calipari at Arkansas, in the NBA Draft, or back at Kentucky, or at a new school entirely.

If Ivisic declares, he can't back out due to his previous declarations. I'd think he's most likely to be back at Kentucky but for the school making him go through so much to get eligible initially.

Onyenso's company raised many questions at this point last season. It was implied that his handlers might be putting money before his best interest. If it's a "highest bidder" scenario again, then Kentucky can probably find the NIL money if they really want to keep him.

Thiero is a Calipari legacy (his Dad played for Cal at Memphis) but he was also the first to enter the portal.

I'd imagine Bradshaw and Wagner are following Calipari to Arkansas. Same goes for Quaintance, Richmond, Knox, and Cyril-- maybe the school holds those who've signed to their LOIs until they speak with the next coach, but the optics might get bad and I don't know that UK forces them to play. I guess there's a chance that Fland stays depending on who the coach is, but it's more likely that he also follows Cal to Fayetteville or somehow ends up elsewhere.

Jordan Burks and Joey Hart are interesting to me. They have the most to gain by staying at Kentucky if the roster is depleted and they can get additional PT and opportunities. I can also see why the uncertainty of who the next coach will be (and who'll they'll bring in with them) as enough to make them enter the portal now. Entering the portal means that the school no longer has to honor their scholarship, which would most likely come into play for Hart.

At best, Kentucky keeps some combo of: Sheppard, Fland, Thiero, Onyenso, Ivisic, Burks, Hart, and Perry. Realistically, keeping four to five of those might be all that you could hope for.

At worst, Kentucky only has Perry locked in for next season and the roster is packed with the best we can find from: players previously committed to a different school who are following our new coach in, players from the transfer portal, and players who are given a scholarship on a "test" basis.

If it comes to filling out the roster, is it possible that Kentucky makes calls to a player like Trent Noah, who is currently committed to South Carolina, to gauge interest in becoming a part of the program? If so, is this something that a player like Noah should even be interested in?
Knox just re-opened his recruitment.
KSR has reported that Jayden Quaintance is going to take a wait and see approach and will listen to the administration regarding the next coach. I guess this is better than his immediately announcing that he wants out of his LOI, but maybe not tons past that.

Joey Hart has entered the transfer portal. Kentucky no longer has to honor his scholarship. They certainly can if they want to, but are no longer obligated.

I'd expect decisions on almost all of the returning players by the end of the week, with news coming fast and furious over the next couple of days.
Who was the recruit that wanted to meet with Barnhart before he made his decision?
#BBFL