Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prestonsburg 68 Belfry 56
Anybody have any details on this one?
Watched it tonight, it was a very sloppy game, But we know now who is the worst team in the Region and who is the second to worst. Both teams seem like that hate there Coach, Belfry needs to make a change or two and Prestonsburg needs a complete transformation. Chase Parsley was a great player and the Hagy guy they said was really good two, goes to show you, your best players don’t always make best Coaches. Hopefully we can get a couple players from each team at BEtsy Layne next year and win District. The young kid for Belfry definitely outplayed the freshman for the Blackcats, I still take the two kids fro Johnson Central over either one and our freshman is really good too, he’s as good as the two I seen tonight, he can shoot better then both. #Bobcat4Life
[-] The following 1 user Likes FloydCountySuperstar's post:
  • Westside
Parsley is leaving after this season. That may have something to do with it, I don't know. The football and the basketball hires will "make or break" Prestonsburg. If they don't get it right Prestonsburg is finished!
(02-20-2024, 02:01 AM)FloydCountySuperstar Wrote: Watched it tonight, it was a very sloppy game, But we know now who is the worst team in the Region and who is the second to worst. Both teams seem like that hate there Coach, Belfry needs to make a change or two and Prestonsburg needs a complete transformation.  Chase Parsley was a great player and the Hagy guy they said was really good two, goes to show you, your best players don’t always make best Coaches. Hopefully we can get a couple players from each team at BEtsy Layne next year and win District. The young kid for Belfry definitely outplayed the freshman for the Blackcats, I still take the two kids fro Johnson Central over either one and our freshman is really good too, he’s as good as the two I seen tonight, he can shoot better then both. #Bobcat4Life
I’ll agree Belfry is at the bottom of the region and that should never be happening. Prestonsburg is 2 or 3 above that. Ask anyone except principal at Belfry and they will trade Prestonsburg coaches and throw in some extra. Prestonsburg problem is political with to much outside noise. Belfry problem is daddy ball. If you look Belfry girls team has rallied around each other and went on 8/9 game winning streak. Boys team exact opposite. Big question is if Belfry were decide to change coaches who would actually be interested in the job due to shape of program right now ?
If Prestonsburg players jump ship and go to Betsy Layne, it's like frying pan to the fire. Bobcats are already looking for their next team. One of the young guys will be a JC Eagle next year.
I don't think I would be making any moves until at least summer if I was involved with Prestonsburg or Betsy Layne. Too much up in the air. Even Floyd Central may have a change if Moore doesn't want to stay after his son graduates. That will be his decision though 100% He has administrations full support.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pikecoballer's post:
  • 15rocks
Don’t know how many but did have a Prestonsburg Mom tell me hers was going for sure to Betsy Layne if Parsley stays and it’s a position of need for us. She then said two more are leaving two but didn’t say which ones, I like for all our Floyd County Schools to succeed but sounds like our friends down the road have a dumpster fire going. Hope they find them a good Coach soon, I thought the Parsley guy woulda changed things up there but it’s tough when he brought family in and it’s clear he’s paying favoritism now, other parents see there not the same punishment for there kids. Can’t believe people thought they would beat us. When you got a quality post player down low and don’t use him then you deserve to lose, Prestonsburg has four other guys that think there Steph Curry. Now for us I think we can win District, Floyd Central plays our style we could score 100 that game. #Bobcats4Life
Belfry basketball program is a disaster. Might would be able to find 5 guys who don’t play basketball in the school and beat Belfry’s starting 5. If you watch them it’s poor effort, no idea what the offensive plan is other than just jack up a bunch of shots, and defense is awful. They mostly play zone and still give up layups and guards splitting double teams on them. I think the Pikeville girls would beat them
(02-20-2024, 12:18 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: Belfry basketball program is a disaster. Might would be able to find 5 guys who don’t play basketball in the school and beat Belfry’s starting 5. If you watch them it’s poor effort, no idea what the offensive plan is other than just jack up a bunch of shots, and defense is awful. They mostly play zone and still give up layups and guards splitting double teams on them. I think the Pikeville girls would beat them
Disaster is correct term. Hagy said in round ball preview that he didn’t have to coach effort with this team. Guess he was wrong. The kids on this team have no confidence in him or Copley. Running same offense as Thompson. Didn’t work then, don’t work now. Substitution method makes no sense. He will make sure his 2 get thier minutes though. Bottom line he is a horrible coach and kids have no confidence in his abilities and that’s what problem is. Only change I see coming is some players leaving and record next year will be worse
(02-20-2024, 03:26 PM)Truewords Wrote:
(02-20-2024, 12:18 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: Belfry basketball program is a disaster. Might would be able to find 5 guys who don’t play basketball in the school and beat Belfry’s starting 5. If you watch them it’s poor effort, no idea what the offensive plan is other than just jack up a bunch of shots, and defense is awful. They mostly play zone and still give up layups and guards splitting double teams on them. I think the Pikeville girls would beat them
Disaster is correct term. Hagy said in round ball preview that he didn’t have to coach effort with this team. Guess he was wrong. The kids on this team have no confidence in him or Copley. Running same offense as Thompson. Didn’t work then, don’t work now. Substitution method makes no sense. He will make sure his 2 get thier minutes though. Bottom line he is a horrible coach and kids have no confidence in his abilities and that’s what problem is. Only change I see coming is some players leaving and record next year will be worse
If you’re a basketball only kid I don’t see how you could want to stay. Yea you’ll get playing time cause the talent level is low but that’s about it. But I think you now have to sit out a year of HS ball if you transfer after 8th grade
(02-20-2024, 11:55 AM)15rocks Wrote: If Prestonsburg players jump ship and go to Betsy Layne, it's like frying pan to the fire.  Bobcats are already looking for their next team.  One of the young guys will be a JC Eagle next year.

If someone from Prestonsburg is looking to go to BL then that’s news to me. I’ve heard the scuttlebutt of one player leaving but BL would be a shock to me if that happened. The returning kids that are currently juniors (other than the one I mentioned above) would be a shock if they transferred. No one that I’ve heard of within the program disapproves of the job Parsley is doing. 

And those talking about politics in Prestonsburg must be confused. I don’t see any political influences currently from the basketball side of things. No one is trying to get Parsley fired nor do I think anyone would even consider that to be a good idea.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BCF4L's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
(02-20-2024, 03:55 PM)BCF4L Wrote:
(02-20-2024, 11:55 AM)15rocks Wrote: If Prestonsburg players jump ship and go to Betsy Layne, it's like frying pan to the fire.  Bobcats are already looking for their next team.  One of the young guys will be a JC Eagle next year.

If someone from Prestonsburg is looking to go to BL then that’s news to me. I’ve heard the scuttlebutt of one player leaving but BL would be a shock to me if that happened. The returning kids that are currently juniors (other than the one I mentioned above) would be a shock if they transferred. No one that I’ve heard of within the program disapproves of the job Parsley is doing. 

And those talking about politics in Prestonsburg must be confused. I don’t see any political influences currently from the basketball side of things. No one is trying to get Parsley fired nor do I think anyone would even consider that to be a good idea.

It would be news to me as well.  Haven't heard that either.  I'm just replying to the posts above saying it's a done deal?
Just passing on what a Mom told me, said her son will be gone he likes one of the Coaches at Betsy Layne, the other two she didn’t mention by name. I understand frustration if you you got a good post player and don’t use him then I would come to where we will. We have a couple post players to add, Betsy Layne may have best players playing down low if we add him.. don’t know who other too are that may be leaving, I figured the too that have parents working in the media but I ask the one he said his son has one year left he’d love to have his son wher they can win but said his son didn’t want to leave. I think everyone thinks the other was a short timer anyways. The one I figured would come would be baseball kid, heard him and the other one are best friends. I figured politics was coming from the parents, always been the issue in Floyd County look at Central then people here are trying to get rid of Mike when he’s winning games with a young roster. #Bobcat4Life
(02-20-2024, 05:11 PM)FloydCountySuperstar Wrote: Just passing on what a Mom told me, said her son will be gone he likes one of the Coaches at Betsy Layne, the other two she didn’t mention by name. I understand frustration if you you got a good post player and don’t use him then I would come to where we will. We have a couple post players to add, Betsy Layne may have best players playing down low if we add him.. don’t know who other too are that may be leaving, I figured the too that have parents working in the media but I ask the one he said his son has one year left he’d love to have his son wher they can win but said his son didn’t want to leave. I think everyone thinks the other was a short timer anyways. The one I figured would come would be baseball kid, heard him and the other one are best friends. I figured politics was coming from the parents, always been the issue in Floyd County look at Central then people here are trying to get rid of Mike when he’s winning games with a young roster. #Bobcat4Life

I can’t speak for the kid you’re referring to as I’ve not directly spoken to his mother about the situation but his best friend (cousin, actually) will be at Prestonsburg next season. We have no issues with coach Parsley and also love coach Tucker for baseball. 

I think collectively this team has a chance to be good next season if the pieces stay together. The issue has been how they’ve not gelled this season. Too many forced shots. Too much 1-on-1 with no ball movement. Too many one pass-shot attempts. No one on the team is a “superstar”. If they play together and for each other, they look really good. But when they start worrying about individual accolades, they shut down collectively. 

Just my $0.02 of course.
[-] The following 2 users Like BCF4L's post:
  • BlackcatAlum, P. Fanning
Parsley has coached Prestonsburg to at least its first winning season since what, 2006 or so? If that rumor is true that Parsley is leaving, a few seasons ago, Prestonsburg had an assistant named Justin Allen who was a great player in his day. If I am not mistaken, his son plays for Prestonsburg, good basketball player, even better baseball player. Anyhow, if Prestonsburg is looking for a coach, Justin should be the first they call they make. He knows the game of basketball, is all for the kids and actually cares about Prestonsburg and wants to see the school and community succeed.
[-] The following 1 user Likes P. Fanning's post:
  • BCF4L
(02-20-2024, 09:07 PM)P. Fanning Wrote: Parsley has coached Prestonsburg to at least its first winning season since what, 2006 or so? If that rumor is true that Parsley is leaving, a few seasons ago, Prestonsburg had an assistant named Justin Allen who was a great player in his day. If I am not mistaken, his son plays for Prestonsburg, good basketball player, even better baseball player. Anyhow, if Prestonsburg is looking for a coach, Justin should be the first they call they make. He knows the game of basketball, is all for the kids and actually cares about Prestonsburg and wants to see the school and community succeed.
I appreciate that, but that’ll never happen. They won’t even let me be an assistant, much less a head coach. But I’ve retired. Much rather lay in the bed and watch the broadcasts ☺️
  • P. Fanning
(02-20-2024, 09:46 PM)BCF4L Wrote:
(02-20-2024, 09:07 PM)P. Fanning Wrote: Parsley has coached Prestonsburg to at least its first winning season since what, 2006 or so? If that rumor is true that Parsley is leaving, a few seasons ago, Prestonsburg had an assistant named Justin Allen who was a great player in his day. If I am not mistaken, his son plays for Prestonsburg, good basketball player, even better baseball player. Anyhow, if Prestonsburg is looking for a coach, Justin should be the first they call they make. He knows the game of basketball, is all for the kids and actually cares about Prestonsburg and wants to see the school and community succeed.
I appreciate that, but that’ll never happen. They won’t even let me be an assistant, much less a head coach. But I’ve retired. Much rather lay in the bed and watch the broadcasts ☺️
(02-20-2024, 09:46 PM)BCF4L Wrote:

It is often better to just be a fan of the sport and not have to deal with all the headaches/politics that come with it. It is a shame they won't let you be an assistant. Tells me all I need to know about how much they care about their athletic programs.
The Allen guy seems to be liked by a lot of the kids, sure he’s a better option then what that have, seen they got beat by Letcher County tonight without there best player. The announcers said they played LetcherCounty close at first of year. That tells you either the Coaching isn’t good or the players have quit on there Coach. Floyd Central played Martin County closly and Pike Central blew Lawrence County out. Looks like the Bobcats will win district once again. #Bobcat4Life
(02-21-2024, 01:52 AM)FloydCountySuperstar Wrote: The Allen guy seems to be liked by a lot of the kids, sure he’s a better option then what that have, seen they got beat by Letcher County  tonight without there best player. The announcers said they played LetcherCounty close at first of year. That tells you either the Coaching isn’t good or the players have quit on there Coach. Floyd Central played Martin County closly and Pike Central blew Lawrence County out. Looks like the Bobcats will win district once again. #Bobcat4Life
As a Belfry fan, I’d love to have Parsley. They won like 5 games the season before he took over. They have improved on their wins each season. To me improvement is all you can ask for
(02-21-2024, 02:01 AM)pirateforlife Wrote:
(02-21-2024, 01:52 AM)FloydCountySuperstar Wrote: The Allen guy seems to be liked by a lot of the kids, sure he’s a better option then what that have, seen they got beat by Letcher County  tonight without there best player. The announcers said they played LetcherCounty close at first of year. That tells you either the Coaching isn’t good or the players have quit on there Coach. Floyd Central played Martin County closly and Pike Central blew Lawrence County out. Looks like the Bobcats will win district once again. #Bobcat4Life
As a Belfry fan, I’d love to have Parsley. They won like 5 games the season before he took over. They have improved on their wins each season. To me improvement is all you can ask for
Parsley came to Belfry and wanted the job after Thompson was fired. Told nothing they could do for him.
If I was Belfry I would talk to people in Prestonsburg before hiring Parsley, I watched the game last night on TV and it was clear he’s quit on his team and they quit on him. That guy from what I’m told has ran off 4-5 players and an assistant Coach since he has been hired I think hes only been their 2 years. Which Derrick Newsome ran a lot more off for us and he found another job. I was trying to watch what the Mom told me last night, I didn’t think he had a problem giving the ball to there post players, he gave ball to him a lot last night, so don’t know where she got that from but, I did see favoritism being played to two maybe 3 players Prestonsburg had a lot of turnovers and seemed like only one or two guys got took out when others made a ton of mistakes. Looks like they had 3 players that cared. They will get blew out by Lawrence County. Floyd Central lost but still looked good against Martin, still like our chances against Floyd our guards are better then there’s and our post player is better then there post player, we are winning District.
#Bobcat4Life
(02-21-2024, 11:33 AM)FloydCountySuperstar Wrote: If I was Belfry I would talk to people in Prestonsburg before hiring Parsley, I watched the game last night on TV and it was clear he’s quit on his team and they quit on him. That guy from what I’m told has ran off 4-5 players and an assistant Coach since he has been hired I think hes only been their 2 years. Which Derrick Newsome ran a lot more off for us and he found another job. I was trying to watch what the Mom told me last night, I didn’t think he had  a problem giving the ball to there post players, he gave ball to him a lot last night, so don’t know where she got that from but, I did see favoritism being played to two maybe 3 players Prestonsburg had a lot of turnovers and seemed like only one or two guys got took out when others made a ton of mistakes. Looks like they had 3 players that cared. They will get blew out by Lawrence County. Floyd Central lost but still looked good against Martin, still like our chances against Floyd our guards are better then there’s and our post player is better then there post player, we are winning District.
#Bobcat4Life
The problem is we don’t have a bench to go to. But we’re losing games anyway so bench kids and make a point. As for kids not caring: you’re right. Outside of maybe one or two, the rest are ready for it to be over. You can easily see it from TV.
  • Blacksmith
Parsley is a good coach.

That is a lot to deal with, D and D broadcasting every game with their kids on the team, a football coaching search that offered someone close to $100k to coach, and the political issues in Floyd Co.

If he leaves, PBurg better be ready to offer $80k to a replacement or they won’t get one that’s better than him.
Well hope things work out and we get the one kid, he looked like he was still engaged and with our post player graduating it would be a great fit. I did hear today the Coach he is fond of here may take the Prestonsburg job if it comes open. The big kid and the freshman looked like the only two that cared last night. That’s one thing that you’d never see from Mike’s team, he doesn’t allow our boys to quit.

I don’t think that a downfall Mike had them do about all our games and they done all flow Central I think. I hope we get the too kids from d and d the one kid playing with our freshman may be the best freshman combo in the state, one can drive one can shoot. The other kid good defender would help us too but I think he’s Senior is what they said on broadcast last night. Football I’m hearing they went after Coach Jarrrell he said no then now they wanting an assistant from Pikeville. That is a top job don’t know how they don’t have a coach yet. I know they had couple good assistants on staff last year, maybe go after our assistant he is a Prestonsburg graduate I think. I’m not saying Parsley is a bad coach don’t know man fro Adam but he has lost his team from what I seen. I’d just check with Prestonsburg and see why so many people has quit, may be he’s a good coach weeding out the bad parts. I root for Floyd county so want to see us all do good but I’m a Bobcat4Life first
(02-21-2024, 03:10 PM)FloydCountySuperstar Wrote: Well hope things work out and we get the one kid, he looked like he was still engaged and with our post player graduating it would be a great fit. I did hear today the Coach he is fond of here may take the Prestonsburg job if it comes open. The big kid and the freshman looked like the only two that cared last night. That’s one thing that you’d never see from Mike’s team, he doesn’t allow our boys to quit.

I don’t think that a downfall Mike had them do about all our games and they done all flow Central I think. I hope we get the too kids from d and d the one kid playing with our freshman may be the best freshman combo in the state, one can drive one can shoot. The other kid good defender would help us too but I think he’s Senior is what they said on broadcast last night. Football I’m hearing they went after Coach Jarrrell he said no then now they wanting an assistant from Pikeville. That is a top job don’t know how they don’t have a coach yet. I know they had couple good assistants on staff last year, maybe go after our assistant he is a Prestonsburg graduate I think. I’m not saying Parsley is a bad coach don’t know man fro Adam but he has lost his team from what I seen. I’d just check with Prestonsburg and see why so many people has quit, may be he’s a good coach weeding out the bad parts. I root for Floyd county so want to see us all do good but I’m a Bobcat4Life first

Mike better be worried about himself and his future with BL, as opposed to getting on here to deflect and shift the attention from his hot seat onto other Floyd County coaches. You may be able to do that on here with BGR members, but nothing on here contributes to the real world.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 15thRegionScoop's post:
  • Wasp23
I think Mike is fine and will be back next season, speaks volumes when parents say they want to play for him over their current situation. We return a lot then get too kids in with our guards we’ll win Region. Just trying pass on what I’ve heard.
That’s a really odd take on BL. I’ve heard of no one that likes Mike. He’s brash and a lunatic in the sideline. Makes a spectacle of himself. Plays to the beat of two players- maybe their parents like him? I’ve heard from quite a few people of the Bobcat s that said they would rather have had Derrick. He may be a jerk too, but at least he could coach a little.
I went to the game at the dome. The overwhelming vibe from the crowd was they didn’t like him. It wasn’t hard to hear complaints from every corner. I agree that his behavior is bad. He tried to kick the scorers table and almost broke the dry erase board over his knee.

I think he can coach though. I just don’t understand why he calls timeouts when BL is doing good. I don’t understand why certain players don’t play more and others less. It’s easy to see what gets them going. I’ve heard that he doesn’t bother scouting opponents though and rarely watches game tapes. That comes from an assistant coach overheard at that game. I just don’t know if BL will ever get things right.
Wasn't this a thread about Prestonsburg and Belfry? Lol
[-] The following 1 user Likes Colonel4Life1999's post:
  • BlackcatPride32