Poll: How Many Games Will the 2024 Cincinnati Reds Win?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
61-68
0%
69-76
100.00%
77-84
0%
85-92
0%
93-100
0%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 CINCINNATI REDS : Do the Young Reds Have a Breakout Season or Take a Step Back?
What do you think of the Cincinnati Reds in 2024? They surprised a lot of people last season by increasing their win total by 20 games from 2022. Will they continue to trend upward or will all the young talent fall victim to the "sophomore slump" in their second full seasons?  The Reds have shored up their bullpen with Pagan, Martinez, and Suter and have added Candelario to add some pop and be a leader for the young Latin-American players. The most recent acquisition, starting pitcher, Frankie Montas, could be a key. He played very little last season due to being injured. If his arm can return to the form of a few years ago when he was with the A's, , he could be a valuable addition.

With Elly Dela Cruz , Noelvi Marte, Christian Encarnacion-Strand, Matt McLain, and Spencer Steer, the Reds have a core of young, talented players who could have them on the cusp of a postseason appearance. The starting staff has potential with Hunter Greene, Nick Lodolo, Andrew Abbott, Graham Ashcraft, Montas, and Brandon Williamson. Williamson might be transitioned to the bullpen if the other five are healthy and effective. 

Can Jonathon India and Tyler Stephenson bounce back from subpar seasons in '23? Will the youngsters referenced above continue their ascent to stardom or will they regress, now that opposing teams have a book on them?

One thing is a given. David Bell is still here. He is a bottom tier manager, in my opinion, who will lose you a few games every season just by his own bizarre maneuverings.

This team has the talent to win 88-90 games and vie for the division title if everything falls into place. It could also fall to 75-78 wins and finish fourth in the division if the pitching falters, the defense doesn't improve, and the sophomores hit their slumps in '24 .

What do you all think of the prospects for the 2024 Redlegs? Will they be around a .500 team again or will they regress to a 70-win team or improve to a 90-win team?
I am ready for a postseason run!!!!!! I think the Reds somehow get into the playoffs. Be interesting to see where are without Votto in the clubhouse.
As much as I would love for the Reds to take the next step, I think they will take a step back. I think they will win between 70-75 games finish 3rd in the division.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
(01-26-2024, 01:54 PM)Bluecat Wrote: I am ready for a postseason run!!!!!! I think the Reds somehow get into the playoffs. Be interesting to see where are without Votto in the clubhouse.

I think losing Votto will be huge.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Losing Votto's experience and clubhouse presence will hurt. And of course every year I say they are going to win World Series whether I believe it or not lol!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bluecat's post:
  • MFL57
I hope Jarons is wrong. I think 70-75 is too low. I sure as hell hope it is. As far as Joey, there simply wasn't a place for him, imo. Give him $20 million to hit .198 in a couple hundred plate appearances? NO WAY! Joey's out of gas. The one move I would have been 100% in favor of is paying Joey 7 or 8 million to manage the team. Get rid of Bell and let Joey manage would have been a plus-plus move, imo.
[-] The following 2 users Like Old School Hound's post:
  • Bluecat, Van Hagar
(01-26-2024, 04:53 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: I hope Jarons is wrong. I think 70-75 is too low. I sure as hell hope it is. As far as Joey, there simply wasn't a place for him, imo. Give him $20 million to hit .198 in  a couple hundred plate appearances? NO WAY! Joey's out of gas. The one move I would have been 100% in favor of is paying  Joey  7 or 8 million to manage the team. Get rid of Bell and let Joey manage would have been a plus-plus move, imo.
I hope I'm wrong too. 
I agree Votto's done physically, he not worth $20 million. His presence in the clubhouse was his value last season.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
(01-26-2024, 05:54 PM)Jarons Wrote:
(01-26-2024, 04:53 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: I hope Jarons is wrong. I think 70-75 is too low. I sure as hell hope it is. As far as Joey, there simply wasn't a place for him, imo. Give him $20 million to hit .198 in  a couple hundred plate appearances? NO WAY! Joey's out of gas. The one move I would have been 100% in favor of is paying  Joey  7 or 8 million to manage the team. Get rid of Bell and let Joey manage would have been a plus-plus move, imo.
I hope I'm wrong too. 
I agree Votto's done physically, he not worth $20 million. His presence in the clubhouse was his value last season.

I think Joey could do as well, and probably, better than Bell , as manager.
OSH, I must be slipping. Votto as Reds manager had never occurred to me. But I love the idea. Experience or no, I think Votto has the right mindset to be a manager, and I feel like guys would play hard for him. Bell has had his time.

As far as this season, I really hope they can approach 90 wins and sneak into the playoffs, where in baseball anything can happen. Last year’s exciting young team, coupled with the pitch clock rule change (the greatest rule change in sports history!) brought me back to my childhood, when baseball was king and the Reds were the Big Red Machine. You and I are old enough to know that, I would say anyone under 50 wouldn’t believe that baseball was actually THE sport in America for a long time. Anyway, it still comes down to pitching over a long, long season. The Reds seemed to make some off-season moves that showed they actually are trying in that respect, we will see how that plays out. And you have to wonder if Diaz can have another season as a closer anywhere close to what he produced last year. He faded a little down the stretch, and a lot of those guys have maybe one big year and never match it again, so we will see.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Van Hagar's post:
  • Old School Hound
(01-28-2024, 08:45 AM)Van Hagar Wrote: OSH, I must be slipping. Votto as Reds manager had never occurred to me. But I love the idea. Experience or no, I think Votto has the right mindset to be a manager, and I feel like guys would play hard for him. Bell has had his time.

As far as this season, I really hope they can approach 90 wins and sneak into the playoffs, where in baseball anything can happen. Last year’s exciting young  team, coupled with the pitch clock rule change (the greatest rule change in sports history!) brought me back to my childhood, when baseball was king and the Reds were the Big Red Machine. You and I are old enough to know that, I would say anyone under 50 wouldn’t believe that baseball was actually THE sport in America for a long time.  Anyway, it still comes down to pitching over a long, long season. The Reds seemed to make some off-season moves that showed they actually are trying in that respect, we will see how that plays out. And you have to wonder if Diaz can have another season as a closer anywhere close to what he produced last year. He faded a little down the stretch, and a lot of those guys have maybe one big year and never match it again, so we will see.

Diaz did fade down the stretch. I think they need another guy that is capable of closing games out when Diaz is unavailable. I would have liked to have seen them sign Aroldis Chapman to help in the 8th inning and to close out games when Bell won't pitch Diaz because he pitched the previous two days.   I cannot underestimate the importance of having lockdown relievers in innings 7, 8, and 9. Remember the "Nasty Boys"? There were games the Reds lost last season by having to finish games off with a couple or three chumps because Diaz apparently couldn't pitch two or three games in a row.

One of my biggest peeves about today's game(and there are many) is how pitchers are coddled, to the point where they feel their arm just can't handle back-to -back days on the mound. Back in the '70's , I remember a doubleheader where the great reliever, Mike Marshall, tossed nearly 12 innings . He threw over 200 innings one season as a reliever. Now these guys feel they are too overworked to pitch three or four innings a week. Give me a break!