Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Workout Routine
With the start of the new year many people made New Year's resolutions to take better care of themselves.  What kind of exercise\ workout routine do you follow to try to stay healthy?
I do yoga twice/week. Instead of hurting my joints, the meditation and stretching exercises relieves a lot of my pain. I started out with chair yoga (for older folks) but have graduated to yin yoga. Smile

We have as many men as women in class. A fact that surprised me
[-] The following 2 users Like Granny Bear's post:
  • jetpilot, Westside
Started last spring by cutting out all sugars, except for ketchup, and cut down my intake of bread and carbs to one or less serving a day and eliminated all soft drinks and caffeine.I eat primarily a protein, cheese and fruit and vegetable diet. I started exercising 4-6 days a week. Because of shoulder surgery in August I primarily do cardio mostly running and walking. I usually run a shade over 3 miles in 30 minutes. I am getting to the point that am starting to lift and swim.
I have lost a little over 50 pounds. I feel tons better. I don't miss the candy and pop, don't crave them either. I have more energy now than when I was in my 20s.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[-] The following 3 users Like Jarons's post:
  • BlackcatAlum, jetpilot, Westside
(01-20-2024, 02:47 PM)Jarons Wrote: Started last spring by cutting out all sugars, except for ketchup, and cut down my intake of bread and carbs to one or less serving a day and eliminated all soft drinks and caffeine.I eat primarily a protein, cheese and fruit and vegetable diet.  I started exercising 4-6 days a week. Because of shoulder surgery in August I primarily do cardio mostly running and walking. I usually run a shade over 3 miles in 30 minutes. I am getting to the point that am starting to lift and swim.
I have lost a little over 50 pounds. I feel tons better. I don't miss the candy and pop, don't crave them either. I have more energy now than when I was in my 20s.

That's great, Jarons.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Westside's post:
  • Jarons
(01-20-2024, 02:47 PM)Jarons Wrote: Started last spring by cutting out all sugars, except for ketchup, and cut down my intake of bread and carbs to one or less serving a day and eliminated all soft drinks and caffeine.I eat primarily a protein, cheese and fruit and vegetable diet.  I started exercising 4-6 days a week. Because of shoulder surgery in August I primarily do cardio mostly running and walking. I usually run a shade over 3 miles in 30 minutes. I am getting to the point that am starting to lift and swim.

Dang that's awesome. I need to do half of that in the worst way.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Jarons

How long did it take to get off soft drinks? Did you go cold turkey or do it gradually? That's the first thing I'm doing.
(01-21-2024, 08:46 PM)jetpilot Wrote:

How long did it take to get off soft drinks? Did you go cold turkey or do it gradually? That's the first thing I'm doing.

On average, I drank only one a day in the morning and at restaurants. It was my "morning coffee." I dropped to half for about a week.  On the first weekend I realized that I was not craving a Pepsi. I decided to put it off till Monday when I returned to work.  My drink tasted so bad that I no longer wanted to drink it again.  After that never had caffeine craving or headache.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
(01-21-2024, 09:42 PM)Jarons Wrote:
(01-21-2024, 08:46 PM)jetpilot Wrote:

On average, I drank only one a day in the morning and at restaurants. It was my "morning coffee." I dropped to half for about a week.  On the first weekend I realized that I was not craving a Pepsi. I decided to put it off till Monday when I returned to work.  My drink tasted so bad that I no longer wanted to drink it again.  After that never had caffeine craving or headache.
I haven't drunk a pop in about 6 or 7 years.
I don't remember my last carbonated soft drink. I allow myself coffee in the morning, but other than that, it's strictly water. On rare occasions, I will allow myself a sweet tea. LOVE sweet tea!!!
I went to Walmart pharmacy yesterday to get a refill of my psych meds and they were giving away a few little free items. They gave me a couple of little stress balls. So I've been squeezing my balls a lot the last couple of days.

(01-22-2024, 04:24 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: I don't remember my last carbonated soft drink.  I allow myself coffee in the morning, but other than that, it's strictly water.  On rare occasions, I will allow myself a sweet tea.  LOVE sweet tea!!!

Gran, I thought of you when I saw this old tea bag.

[Image: https://southernsweetteacompany.com/wp-c...scaled.jpg]
You can always tell when someone picks up their meds and has 2/3 of the bottle eaten before they make it back to the house lol
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Granny Bear
I did the water only protocol for a few years, but I came to the conclusion that I was doing far worse thing to my health. So, I now drink sugar free Hawaiian Punch as well water. I honestly could not tell that drinking water only made me feel better or helped me in any way.
[Image: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/cd/03/44/...b2d1ab.png]

And this is what I think of whenever someone mentions OSH.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Granny Bear's post:
  • Old School Hound