Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corbin 62 South Laurel 51
The Crimson Canines get their first win in South London in ages. The Hounds broke it open in the second quarter with a 16-0 run, outscoring South 21-7 in the second quarter and then cruised from there. Corbin improves to 8-4, while the Cards fall to 10-4 after suffering back-to back double-digit losses. Corbin finishes the gauntlet of Danville Christian , Harlan County, Ashland, and South Laurel by winning three of four and almost winning all of them.
(01-10-2024, 01:41 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: The Crimson Canines get their first win in South London in ages. The Hounds broke it open in the second quarter with a 16-0 run, outscoring South 21-7 in the second quarter and then cruised from there. Corbin improves to 8-4, while the Cards fall to 10-4 after suffering back-to back double-digit losses. Corbin finishes the gauntlet of Danville Christian , Harlan County, Ashland, and South Laurel by winning three of four and almost winning all of them.
Without Mabe this is the result that you will most likely get.  With Mabe South can most defiantly beat Corbin.
(01-10-2024, 05:41 AM)cchsfan4life Wrote:
(01-10-2024, 01:41 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: The Crimson Canines get their first win in South London in ages. The Hounds broke it open in the second quarter with a 16-0 run, outscoring South 21-7 in the second quarter and then cruised from there. Corbin improves to 8-4, while the Cards fall to 10-4 after suffering back-to back double-digit losses. Corbin finishes the gauntlet of Danville Christian , Harlan County, Ashland, and South Laurel by winning three of four and almost winning all of them.
Without Mabe this is the result that you will most likely get.  With Mabe South can most defiantly beat Corbin.

Yeah, South, without Mabe , are not gonna contend for anything. They just have too much trouble  scoring the basketball.
I was told it was the first time Corbin has defeated the Cardinals at their gym since 2016. But Cards were without Mabe and Hounds were without Stewart.
(01-10-2024, 10:54 AM)Grannyshot Wrote: I was told it was the first time Corbin has defeated the Cardinals at their gym since 2016.  But Cards were without Mabe and Hounds were without Stewart.
Yes, been a bunch of years. I was but a sweet child when we last won in the den of thieves in South London.  lol 
Mabe is the much bigger loss for South than Stewart is for Corbin. Corbin has much more depth and can absorb the loss of "Green Gloves" a lot more than South can deal with the loss of Mabe. Plus, Stewart has played rather poorly this season. He has been a brick-laying, turnover machine for the Red Dogs. Still thinking about the two football rings that got away, perhaps.
Regardless, good to finally get a win in London.
Good win for the Hounds at South Laurel. I feel certain the hounds cutting down the nets at the arena for Region title..
Harlan Co is the favorite as of now! But when it’s a one and done situation like the region tournament anything can happen. A healthy Corbin and SL team can beat Harlan Co.
Take a 6’7 elite defender with long arms, crazy vertical, great scoring ability, and can play 32 minutes off the floor and this is what you get. Hopefully he can recover.

South has no offense when he isn’t on the floor, rawlings can score but he’s more of the secondary threat where the floor opens up for him because of mabe. The cards now only have one guy that can get you double figures, and only one guy who can shoot.
(01-11-2024, 05:53 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: Take a 6’7 elite defender with long arms, crazy vertical, great scoring ability, and can play 32 minutes off the floor and this is what you get. Hopefully he can recover.

South has no offense when he isn’t on the floor, rawlings can score but he’s more of the secondary threat where the floor opens up for him because of mabe. The cards now only have one guy that can get you double figures, and only one guy who can shoot.

I'm going to start by prefacing this by saying that I think Davis is a great coach and that people whose opinions I really respect seem to speak highly of him.

With that said, I often see people on here drooling over his coaching ability (and rightfully so), but I do wonder if they'd give other coaches this same benefit of the doubt if they were in the same situation or if they'd instead say that it's Coach X's fault for not developing players or getting more kids out.

This shouldn't be taken as an attack on Davis, but as a defense of other coaches who seem to be the BGR punching bags instead.
(01-11-2024, 08:42 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote:
(01-11-2024, 05:53 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: Take a 6’7 elite defender with long arms, crazy vertical, great scoring ability, and can play 32 minutes off the floor and this is what you get. Hopefully he can recover.

I'm going to start by prefacing this by saying that I think Davis is a great coach and that people whose opinions I really respect seem to speak highly of him.

With that said, I often see people on here drooling over his coaching ability (and rightfully so), but I do wonder if they'd give other coaches this same benefit of the doubt if they were in the same situation or if they'd instead say that it's Coach X's fault for not developing players or getting more kids out.

This shouldn't be taken as an attack on Davis, but as a defense of other coaches who seem to be the BGR punching bags instead.
Glenn Gray, who I think is a good coach, was raked over the coals on here the past few years, mostly by Clay fans. I saw him beat a lot of good coaches and good teams, both in and out of the 13th region. I do think Davis is the best in the 13th region, but you're right, Jack, some of the other coaches don't quite get the same benefit of the doubt that Jeff gets.  Nate Valentine draws a lot of heat, too, but he can coach, as well. One drawback to coaching a 5-star guy is that if you don't win it all, they'll be some that will say you're not a good coach.
(01-11-2024, 08:42 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote:

All i know is i’ve seen davis win with little talent, and other coaches lose with more. Only few coaches in this region have done that. I think davis is the best, and if they can pick it up and succeed without the best player that’s went through the school in a while (and probably the best defender in decades) he deserves infinite credit. 

Im not one to say that the talent on the floor is the coaches fault. Developing players to become team players is a high school coaches job, becoming individually better is on the player themselves. When you are 6’1, you should be able to shoot a 3 in today’s age. I don’t blame davis his players can’t shoot. I do blame davis if he has the talent and doesn’t put them in a spot to succeed, but that’s hardly the case. As a team south has hit 45 threes, and rawlings has hit over 50 percent of them. If a coach says face guard rawlings and force the other guys to beat you, the supporting cast for south has to step up and make plays. Nothing davis can do about that but draw it up. For comparison, Bell county has made over 110 threes, Harlan County 140 in the same number of games.
Whose Jeff Davis?
(01-12-2024, 09:36 AM)Diablo Wrote: Whose Jeff Davis?
South Laurel  head coach. Best in the region, in my opinion.