Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harlan County 59 Corbin 53
Final from Corbin. You love to see it.
Can’t believe I saw a 3 second call on a fast break. I guess there’s a first time everything.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rudedogky's post:
  • Granny Bear
How'd this one go down?
The hounds are coming and come tournament time they will be right there in the mix for a title. 3 team race with Harlan,South, Corbin and then it drops off. Bell and Knox then it drops off to Whitley, North and Clay.
HC is the real deal!
Harlan is 15+ points better than Corbin in any other gym.
(01-07-2024, 12:05 PM)Appalachian Cat Wrote: Harlan is 15+ points better than Corbin in any other gym.
Here we go again with that crap!!!

I was there.  Corbin started slow. Shot slightly less than 20% in the first half. Hounds staged an impressive second half comeback. From the start of the second half until two minutes left in the game, Corbin outscored HC  33-16 . Corbin took the lead 50-48 with 1:59 left. HC called TO. Out of the timeout, Noah took over. He split two Corbin defenders in the lane for an "and one," giving the Bears a 51-50 lead with about a minute and a half remaining. Corbin tied the game on a FT. Then back to back buckets for the Bears, the latter being a breakaway dunk by Noah. Pietrowski's 2 FT's cut it back to two but Noah made the plays down the stretch. Corbin had a layoff roll off the rim and an open three just must within the last two minutes that would have kept this one in doubt until the final horn had they fallen. Good game. Great atmosphere. Harlan County is top team in this region and are the definite favorite but Corbin and South Laurel have enough to beat them on a neutral floor in March.

Corbin showed over the weekend that they can compete against really good basketball teams, taking HC to the wire and beating Ashland Blazer.
(01-07-2024, 07:53 PM)In Old School Hound Wrote:
(01-07-2024, 12:05 PM)Appalachian Cat Wrote: Harlan is 15+ points better than Corbin in any other gym.

I was there.  Corbin started slow. Shot slightly less than 20% in the first half. Hounds staged an impressive second half comeback. From the start of the second half until two minutes left in the game, Corbin outscored HC  33-16 . Corbin took the lead 50-48 with 1:59 left. HC called TO. Out of the timeout, Noah took over. He split two Corbin defenders in the lane for an "and one," giving the Bears a 51-50 lead with about a minute and a half remaining. Corbin tied the game on a FT. Then back to back buckets for the Bears, the latter being a breakaway dunk by Noah. Pietrowski's 2 FT's cut it back to two but Noah made the plays down the stretch. Corbin had a layoff roll off the rim and an open three just must within the last two minutes that would have kept this one in doubt until the final horn had they fallen. Good game. Great atmosphere. Harlan County is top team in this region and are the definite favorite but Corbin and South Laurel have enough to beat them on a neutral floor in March.

Corbin showed over the weekend that they can compete against really good basketball teams, taking HC to the wire and beating Ashland Blazer.
They were in both games at home and at home only.  

Rewatch the game on the rag tag streaming service and you’ll understand why they beat Ashland.  Tomcats win by 15+ too.  Any other gym in the state it is a wrap!
Any other gym and Ashland would have destroyed Corbin not a doubt in my mind.
(01-08-2024, 12:02 AM)Appalachian Cat Wrote:
(01-07-2024, 07:53 PM)In Old School Hound Wrote:

Rewatch the game on the rag tag streaming service and you’ll understand why they beat Ashland.  Tomcats win by 15+ too.  Any other gym in the state it is a wrap!

Agree 100% Any other gym and Ashland would have destroyed Corbin not a doubt in my mind.
(01-08-2024, 02:10 AM)predict_proba Wrote: Any other gym and Ashland would have destroyed Corbin not a doubt in my mind. 
(01-08-2024, 12:02 AM)Appalachian Cat Wrote:
(01-07-2024, 07:53 PM)In Old School Hound Wrote:

Agree 100% Any other gym and Ashland would have destroyed Corbin not a doubt in my mind.
Ridiculous. Another 16th region sad sack. 

You sad sacks , tell me something. Does Corbin's AD go down to one of the bars downtown or over to Tim Short Auto Mall and select the referees? Of course not. These are unbiased representatives of the KHSAA. Why in the hell would these officials favor Corbin over Ashland or Harlan Co. or anybody else. Corbin lost by double digits to two out-of-state teams in the CFIT. Corbin, honestly, should have beaten both teams. Where were these crooked refs that you sad sacks are talking about when the Redhounds get beaten at home ? It's when your team fails to come out with a win that you complain. No one on here has seen more basketball games at Gilliam Gym than Old School. You think you know more than I do?
(01-08-2024, 11:50 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(01-08-2024, 02:10 AM)predict_proba Wrote: Any other gym and Ashland would have destroyed Corbin not a doubt in my mind. 
(01-08-2024, 12:02 AM)Appalachian Cat Wrote:
(01-07-2024, 07:53 PM)In Old School Hound Wrote:

Ridiculous. Another 16th region sad sack. 

You sad sacks , tell me something. Does Corbin's AD go down to one of the bars downtown or over to Tim Short Auto Mall and select the referees? Of course not. These are unbiased representatives of the KHSAA. Why in the hell would these officials favor Corbin over Ashland or Harlan Co. or anybody else. Corbin lost by double digits to two out-of-state teams in the CFIT. Corbin, honestly, should have beaten both teams. Where were these crooked refs that you sad sacks are talking about when the Redhounds get beaten at home ? It's when your team fails to come out with a win that you complain. No one on here has seen more basketball games at Gilliam Gym than Old School. You think you know more than I do?
Yes Mr. Sad Sack.  Yes I do!  Let me highlight my previous post.  Harlan and Ashland win by 15+ anywhere else on planet earth!  Now it’s past your bedtime Old Timer!  ?
The Harlan County people seemed to have issues with Jordan Philpot, who called the Hounds-Bears game. Is Jordan related to former official, Mike Philpot?
You just said how much you know yesterday and you don't know the answer to that question?
^^^ Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Yes.  He knows the answer.  He's just stirring the pot
(01-09-2024, 11:12 AM)HCS Wrote: You just said how much you know yesterday and you don't know the answer to that question?

Of course I do but I wanted to insti... , I mean, start a discussion. lol  Jordan lives in Corbin. I knew his grandma, Sue. I know Mike, who used to call a lot of Corbin games, and was frequently called a Corbin homer.  I dated Jordan's aunt, Michelle, a few times back in the day. So yes, I know the whole family. So, now that I have proved I know everything, I will ask another question, what do you think about Jordan Philpot? I loved it when he T'd up the HC coach. That was a riot. The Philpot's have always been familiar faces at Gilliam Gym. I wish Jordan could call all of Corbin's games. He calls it like he sees it. lol

(01-09-2024, 11:22 AM)Granny Bear Wrote: ^^^ Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Yes.  He knows the answer.  He's just stirring the pot

I love you, granny ....  You know me almost as well as my momma knew me. Btw, how could anyone look at Jordan and not know he's related to Mike. lol  

Mike's sister, Michelle Thorpe(RIP) was a very good friend of mine. We had some fun times back in the day. I was heartbroken when she passed away.
I didn't think he was the one who assessed the technical. I was sitting pretty close when it happened.
I usually don't pay much attention when anyone blames officiating, but there were three or four calls in that game that looked very questionable to me.
The block by Cottrell looked clean to me, and the 3-second call was very unusual. Noah doesn't get as many calls as you'd expect a player of his caliber.
(01-09-2024, 01:30 PM)HCS Wrote: I didn't think he was the one who assessed the technical. I was sitting pretty close when it happened.
I usually don't pay much attention when anyone blames officiating, but there were three or four calls in that game that looked very questionable to me.
The block by Cottrell looked clean to me, and the 3-second call was very unusual. Noah doesn't get as many calls as you'd expect a player of his caliber.

You might be right, HCS. I thought it was Jordan but maybe it wasn't. The technical was well deserved. There are always several calls in each game that fans think their team should have gotten. I'm sure here were three or four that Corbin fans thought should have gone the other way. It's the same every game. If the refs had wanted Corbin to win they could have easily finished it off in the last two minutes when Corbin got the lead. It was a fairly called game. I prefer to give the Hounds credit for outscoring the Bears 33-16 over that 14 minute stretch in the second half.