Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
North Laurel 73 Clay County 69
Final from London. Sounded like a fairly competitive game. North Laurel opened on a 7-0 run and hit an 11-0 run in the second quarter. Jervis had a stretch where he was really hot. Announcers called Brock's name a lot as well.

North Laurel will play Harlan County tomorrow. Clay County will matchup with Danville Christian as well.

Scoring for North Laurel: Brody Brock 26, Cole Jervis 18, Reece Davidson 14, Jordan Rawlings 10, Cooper Elza 3, & RJ Noble 2.

Jaguars shot 14/20 from the stripe, which was huge in helping them hold on late. Believe Jervis was 6 of 6 and Davidson 3 of 4.

Clay County was led by Hayden Harris' 17 off the bench. Freshman Adon Grubb had 13. Believe that Tate Rice had 10, Elijah Bundy 8, and Jerrod Roark 7. Didn't catch the scoring for Aiden Wagers, Ethan Jackson, Landon Dezarn, and Grayson Hooker but they totaled 14 if my math hasn't failed me.
Ouch ! Talk of the Tigers being regional contenders might have been exaggerated a bit.
(01-06-2024, 12:18 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: Ouch !  Talk of the Tigers being regional contenders might have been exaggerated a bit.
Not even in the realm of possibility… In NL rebuilding year, and Clays glory year, they still can’t get over the hump.
Did they play at North or Clay?
(01-06-2024, 12:23 AM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote:
(01-06-2024, 12:18 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: Ouch !  Talk of the Tigers being regional contenders might have been exaggerated a bit.
Not even in the realm of possibility… In NL rebuilding year, and Clays glory year, they still can’t get over the hump.

Who's gonna be the whipping boy now, since Glenn is no longer manning the sidelines?
Till Clay goes and gets a coach who WILL NOT be swayed by local politics they might as well get used to outcomes like this…..they are becoming a punchline to 13th region jokes at this point

Clay fan: Clay is going to be a region contender….

(Gets beat by a rebuilding NL team)

Clay fan: Well I never said what region….I was talking about the central region of Clay County…..we will beat Redbird and OBI!!!!!!!!

Rest of 13th region: Spitting Pepsi across the room laughing…..
(One guy from Corbin even had Pepsi shoot out his nose)
North Laurel had a really good JV group last year. I know they've lost Chadwell and Rawlings, but Chadwell didn't play JV either. I've thought that they are better than many may perceive them. Tough early schedule of return games for a young team can make things look worse than they are.

I've seen them three separate times, and I think Clay County will be fine. They've had games where they've played well and others where they weren't at their best, but they're improving and aren't near their ceiling yet. This is coming from someone who watched four games this week without seeing the same team twice.

It's Harlan County and then everyone else right now. Not saying that Corbin and South Laurel aren't right after them, or that a number of teams can't beat one another on a given night though.

Last year Harlan got beat by Harlan County then came dangerously close to beating North Laurel. Harlan County got knocked off by Corbin, who'd just lost to South Laurel. Then North Laurel beat Corbin pretty badly in the region final-- March can be a strange time, and there's plenty of basketball to be played between now and then.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cactus Jack's post:
  • Houndsmam1947
I’m telling everyone right now that the Harris kid can not be on the bench. That is ridiculous coming off the bench and being your leading scorer for clay that game. Something gonna have to change.
No realistic person in Clay County is talking about winning a region title right now. It’s Harlan County on a neutral floor and then everyone else like the person said. The Tigers’s task is to try to beat North in District. They lost a competitive game outside of about 10 minutes on the road to a team that is better than their record indicates. This story is no bigger than that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes UKCC's post:
  • Cactus Jack
Second game I've seen clay co play this year, they have the talent it's just a matter if Jones will be a coach and make the not popular decisions that needs to be made.
Clay doesn't have a point guard and that is the first thing has to be addressed. You can not turn the ball over and win and you have to find a guard that can run the team and not worry about me first. Clay may had 8 to 10 assist Tonight with only a couple coming in the game from the point guard spot and that was in the 4th with the Rice kid in the game. Seems like Jones was searching for the right line up Tonight and I feel he was close to finding it.
The offense has to run through the wing position that being Grubb and Harris with them both on the floor at the same time. They will spread the defense witch will open things for the post. Clay's season will come down to Jones putting politics aside and putting the 5 best team players on the floor.
I made a prediction before tonight's game that North wins the 49 district.
Just my take.
(01-06-2024, 01:12 AM)Bigdog88 Wrote: I’m telling everyone right now that the Harris kid can not be on the bench. That is ridiculous coming off the bench and being your leading scorer for clay that game. Something gonna have to change.

Sounds like he's lucky to even be on the team.  I promise if you quit on our high school team, you were done for the year at a minimum.
Clay Co. has the following problems IMO:

1: For whatever reason Jones plays way to many players in the rotation.
2: They have no consistent shooting from anyone
3: They have no leader on that team period
4: IMO Clay made a bad hire when they went with Jones and not someone who these players had some relationships with in Hibbard.

I said it at the start of the season......Clay Co. will be lucky to beat Jackson Co. in the district 1st round if the Summers kid comes back to play for Jackson this year and when they played them at Clay earlier this year a JC parent said he was out 6 weeks so he will be back.
(01-06-2024, 01:12 AM)Bigdog88 Wrote: I’m telling everyone right now that the Harris kid can not be on the bench. That is ridiculous coming off the bench and being your leading scorer for clay that game. Something gonna have to change.
I was sitting mid court listening to Clay County fans chanting We Want Harris. And when Harris came in he made a huge impact. I’m not sure what the situation with Coach Jones and the Harris kid is but they better rectify difference pretty quickly. North DONT beat Clay with Harris starting and getting starter minutes and if you seen anything different than glasses are the word of the day..