Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UNC-Wilmington 80 Kentucky 73
Really just no excuse to lose to UNCW , especially on your home court.  The Cats need three or four more Reed Sheppard's. It appears he's UK's best all-around player. Finished with a stat line of 25-9-6 .  The kids gonna make himself some real money someday.

Cats got down early, came back and actually led by six in the second half and then proceeded to let it slip away. NO EXCUSE to lose at home to that team!
I think we realized how important DJ Wagner is. He’s out leader on the floor. Reed and Dillingham are 2 guards in my opinion and player better with a dominant PG.

What blows my mind continually is how athletic we are and our inability to stay in front of a player one on one on defense. We couldn’t guard their guys tonight. We got beat off the dribble to the basket countless times. Then I’m the stretch Cal miraculously runs some half court offense and outs Reeves and others in position to know down some wide open 3’s and no one could besides Reed. When Reeves is bad, he’s bad everywhere. Guy was lost all night on defense and just made bonehead plays on offense as well as Dillingham. He was out of control all night.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
[-] The following 2 users Like Spud6's post:
  • Cactus Jack, rookie57
You’re 100% correct about getting beat off the dribble. That’s where having the bigs back (and in shape, Bradshaw obviously isn’t yet) will be a big asset, we need some rim protection if we are gonna get beat off the bounce all over the floor. (And Reed wasn’t immune to this, he got beat just as many times as anyone). And you are also right on the money about Reeves, when he’s bad, he’s really, really bad. Also yesterday we got a look at the out of control Dillingham, something he had managed to reign in up to this point. Still, just one bad regular season loss, hopefully we will learn and improve from it going forward.

On another note, ESPN released their first NBA mock draft for 2024 this week. Sheppard was projected as the 25th pick in the first round if he came out. I love the kid, and he’s great as a team defender, but not sure how he would fare defensively right now in the man to man world of the NBA. But if you project as a first-round pick, can you afford not to declare? Will be interesting to see how this plays out.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Van Hagar's post:
  • Cactus Jack
Traveling and haven't gotten to watch yet but heard this one was ugly.
I got so mad, I turned off this damn game!!!
I coached basketball for many years, and everybody has a bad game or two. BUT when they play like Reeves did, they rode the pine!!

As far as Reed is concerned, he was the bright spot. Is he good enough to go pro? Probably. But, I don't think anyone should play professional basketball unless they are over 21. You guys go right ahead and tear apart that comment. Teenagers are not ready for that atmosphere.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Granny Bear's post:
  • pjdoug
(12-03-2023, 08:13 AM)Spud6 Wrote: I think we realized how important DJ Wagner is. He’s out leader on the floor. Reed and Dillingham are 2 guards in my opinion and player better with a dominant PG.

What blows my mind continually is how athletic we are and our inability to stay in front of a player one on one on defense. We couldn’t guard their guys tonight. We got beat off the dribble to the basket countless times. Then I’m the stretch Cal miraculously runs some half court offense and outs Reeves and others in position to know down some wide open 3’s and no one could besides Reed. When Reeves is bad, he’s bad everywhere. Guy was lost all night on defense and just made bonehead plays on offense as well as Dillingham. He was out of control all night.
Good assessment of how things went wrong in this one. They really missed Wagner. He's the best communicator out on the court.. They seemed all out of sorts without their vocal leader on the floor. The defense was really bad. Just couldn't get stops at all when they needed them. That MUST improve drastically if they are gonna make a deep March run. You're right about Reeves, as well. When he's on, he's lights out. But, when his shots don't fall, his whole game is a mess. Beat Penn, UNC, and Louisville convincingly and put this one in the waste pan of history.

Btw, who you think led the team in +/- in this game?  If you guessed Aaron Bradshaw, you're right. He was +11 in his 13 or so minutes on the floor. Reed came into the game leading the nation in +/- .  I believe was a -9 in this game. He still posted a 25/9/6 stat line, even with the struggles in the first half.

(12-03-2023, 09:54 AM)Granny Bear Wrote: I got so mad, I turned off this damn game!!!
I coached basketball for many years, and everybody has a bad game or two.  BUT when they play like Reeves did, they rode the pine!!

As far as Reed is concerned, he was the bright spot.  Is he good enough to go pro?  Probably.  But, I don't think anyone should play professional basketball unless they are over 21.  You guys go right ahead and tear apart that comment.  Teenagers are not ready for that atmosphere.

I love you !  I know we knock heads on certain things but you are a holy spitfire!!!  Passion galore!  And I love folks who have passion for their teams ,or for anything they love, and are not afraid to express strong opinions, even those that I sometimes disagree with. 

Can't say Old School isn't passionate for the teams he loves and the things he believes in .     Same for grandma Dynamite!!!   Smile
It’ll be an interesting dynamic when Bradshaw is back 100%. Cal said he wants Mitchell and Bradshaw in at the same time so that takes away our run and gun that’s be successful unless Bradshaw can run like Willy Cauley and Anthony Davis
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Fire Cal.
[-] The following 1 user Likes plantmanky's post:
  • cherokee
(12-03-2023, 09:42 PM)plantmanky Wrote: Fire Cal.
You can't troll a troll. 

But I'll play along, just for sh!ts and giggles. If you think Cal should be fired(pretend to be an AD for a minute instead of a plant boy), who would you replace him with that would be willing to take on the job, would recruit and win more games than Cal has, and be better for the program? I'll wait a decade or so for you to respond.
The reason you want him gone is the reason Jet, Hoot, and 17% of Kentuckians want him gone--- he's a northeasterner who views the world differently than the majority of RED blooded bluegrass residents. Emphasis on RED!!!
(12-04-2023, 12:58 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:
You can't troll a troll. 

But I'll play along, just for sh!ts and giggles. If you think Cal should be fired(pretend to be an AD for a minute instead of a plant boy), who would you replace him with that would be willing to take on the job, would recruit and win more games than Cal has, and be better for the program? I'll wait a decade or so for you to respond.
The reason you want him gone is the reason Jet, Hoot, and 17% of Kentuckians want him gone--- he's a northeasterner who views the world differently than the majority of RED blooded bluegrass residents. Emphasis on RED!!!

Cal's job isnt to win championships.
(12-04-2023, 03:15 PM)plantmanky Wrote:
You can't troll a troll. 

I agree. Winning championships involves a lot of luck. Cal's job is to win a lot of games(which he has) , recruit good talent(which he has), and to help mold his young men into being successful men on and off the basketball court(which he has).
This was just a bad game altogether. I feel it was being off of a big high from the win over Miami. It didn't help that UNCW was shooting lights out. Now don't get me wrong there was a lot of bad play in this game and we can only hope they get it corrected before the next game. This team has way too much potential and I feel fire to let it get them down.
(12-03-2023, 09:54 AM)Granny Bear Wrote: I got so mad, I turned off this damn game!!!
I coached basketball for many years, and everybody has a bad game or two.  BUT when they play like Reeves did, they rode the pine!!

As far as Reed is concerned, he was the bright spot.  Is he good enough to go pro?  Probably.  But, I don't think anyone should play professional basketball unless they are over 21.  You guys go right ahead and tear apart that comment.  Teenagers are not ready for that atmosphere.

Calapari holds players back and tries to change their style of  play. He got outcoached in  both losses. This team has plenty talent to compete with anybody.

Yeah, kick his hind end out already. lol
You can't troll a troll. 

I don't care if  he is from Japan if he can compete for championships. Calapari gets outcoached often by coaches that make a tenth or less salary than he does. He wastes talent a lot like Corbin does  Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes pjdoug's post:
  • jetpilot
UK should beat UNC Wilmington if Reeves was playing point guard. Appalachian State beat them by 30 points.
(12-07-2023, 01:28 PM)pjdoug Wrote: UK should beat UNC Wilmington if Reeves was playing point guard. Appalachian State beat them by 30 points.

Cuz, I agree totally that there is no excuse for losing to UNC -Wilmington .  I mean ZERO excuse!!!   Just not convinced that Cal was the reason they lost. Good players have to make good plays and our guys didn't. We made a lot of bad plays.  We came back and took a six point lead and then let it slip away.
(12-04-2023, 04:13 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(12-04-2023, 03:15 PM)plantmanky Wrote:
You can't troll a troll. 

I agree. Winning championships involves a lot of luck. Tom Greer's job is to win a lot of games(which he has) , recruit good talent(which he has), and to help mold his young men into being successful men on and off the football field(which he has).

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Fixed it for you. Greer does it for $50k/year while Cal has sucked $150 million + out of our state. Typical crazy bad takes. Run Greer out of town for losing 1 game all year - to probably the best team in the state - but kiss Cal's a$$. Mind numbingly dumb.
And I don't care if Cal is from the Northeast or BF Egypt, and don't care/want to hear what his worldview is. All I care about with the UK program is it being on top. And Cal has lowered the bar and with it expectations, fact.
Defense, or lack thereof
(12-09-2023, 05:57 PM)jetpilot Wrote: And I don't care if Cal is from the Northeast or BF Egypt, and don't care/want to hear what his worldview is. All I care about with the UK program is it being on top. And Cal has lowered the bar and with it expectations, fact.
Only one team is on top at the end of each year and being on top requires a lot of luck.  Cal has averaged 27 or 28 wins a year at UK with a title and several final fours. He's helped a lot of his players become financially secure for life. He's in the HOF for a reason. Is he a top five x's and o's coach ? Maybe not. Is he a highly successful coach who has won a ton of games (almost 76% wins at UK) and cares about his players?  Absolutely!  Among D1 coaches, I believe Cal is third behind only Few and Self in on-court winning % for coaches with 10+ yrs. of experience.  He's dark Blue. You're dark Red. That's why 17% of UK fans consistently call for his ouster. They overlook the fact that he's in good company with guys like Few and Self in winning percentage and a HOF coach. Cal has his faults. He's stubborn, for sure. But he's a winner. He might have his next Final Four team this season. And 83% of us will be rooting Cal and his team on to victory.
"dark blue" "dark red" "17%" "83%"
All idiotic takes due to mental illness from your mind being hijacked by your political "leaders" and "news" "sources"
And totally at odds with your rage against Tom Greer who makes about $15 MILLION in cash and perks less than Cal every year.
I would rather have Greer than 10 Cals. And save $Billions.

Nobody I have ever come in contact with is wrong about every single subject more than you.
Except music. Lots of respect there haha
(12-11-2023, 11:12 PM)jetpilot Wrote: "dark blue" "dark red" "17%" "83%"
All idiotic takes due to mental illness from your mind being hijacked by your political "leaders" and "news" "sources"
And totally at odds with your rage against Tom Greer who makes about $15 MILLION in cash and perks less than Cal every year.
I would rather have Greer than 10 Cals. And save $Billions.

Nobody I have ever come in contact with is wrong about every single subject more than you.
Except music. Lots of respect there haha
 I'm betting if the Cats HOF coach was pro-sedition and giving thumbs up to defecating on the walls of our most cherished national structures, you would be up his bumhole and tonguing his taint and calling him the greatest to ever coach at UK(besides the old racist , fascist in the brown suit , of course) Tongue

The guy has won 28 games a year since coming here, with a title and some FFs. I'm wrong on this issue because I say he has had a track record of winning a
lot of games here and helping a lot of kids achieve their dreams?  Yeah, right! Plus, Cal's a much better guy than the old Nazi guy they named the arena after,  or the two drunks(Sutton and Billy G) ,or the slick Rick pervert who has sex with women in public.

Give em' hell , Hall of Famer!!!  Shut up the 17% with another Final Four, coach!!! If Cal hung with Ted Nugent instead of Drake, he'd be a lot more popular with 1/6 of Kentucky fans.
^^^Way past time to adjust the crazy meds.