Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mayfield
74.29%
Owensboro Catholic
25.71%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayfield vs Owensboro Catholic (2A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP) 12/1 - 4PM
Should be a good one. 

Everything lined up for these two to meet if Beechwood didn’t spoil it.

Who you got?
[-] The following 1 user Likes KnoxvillesFinest's post:
  • Bull got out!
My guess would be Mayfield after getting by 2 juggernauts in a row would have to be the favorite.
Gotta go with the big red birds. They are firing on all cylinders right now and have played the better schedule imo. Coach Morris has this group playing at a high level. If there is one team that can slow down the freak show of an arm that is Atwell…it’s Mayfield. If not slow them down I think Mayfield can win in a shootout which is what I think this game turns into.

Birds 42
Aces 34
I'm going to play devil's advocate here and say the Aces come out on top. No disrespect to the Cardinals at all, because what they've done in this playoff so far has been nothing short of amazing. I just feel like this is OC's year.
Gotta go with the cardinals, I think they are on a mission.

Can a Mod. Add a poll?
(11-25-2023, 01:00 PM)rookie57 Wrote: Gotta go with the cardinals, I think they are on a mission.

Can a Mod. Add a poll?

Done
I’m sure Mayfield is the favorite but I’m rooting for Owensboro Catholic!
Obviously pulling for my Cardinals, but I would be lying if I said I wasn’t concerned. Mayfield has been through the meat grinder the last few weeks and O Cath is no joke either. This looks like a matchup between two very good teams, and both are on a mission. I’m expecting a lot of points on the scoreboard in this one.

This years Mayfield team is just that, a TEAM. They are playing with heart and playing for one another. It’s special to watch. I’ll take the Cards by a score in a close one that could see fans from both schools in the ER with heart problems. Hope UK medical center is well staffed on Friday.
Redbirds will have the Catholics confessing their sins after this one. GO CARDS!!!! #13!!!
Looking for #13 to come back to the far west. I haven’t seen much on OC but, I think the Cards are ready for anything.
After taking down LCA and Beechwood in back-to-back weeks the Cardinals will have have most definitely deserved this state championship and I think they get it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Humpty Dumpty's post:
  • Deuce8
(11-25-2023, 01:08 PM)Westside Wrote:
(11-25-2023, 01:00 PM)rookie57 Wrote: Gotta go with the cardinals, I think they are on a mission.

Can a Mod. Add a poll?

Done
Thanks Westside

(11-25-2023, 01:16 PM)Jack Lambert Wrote: I’m sure Mayfield is the favorite but I’m rooting for Owensboro Catholic!
Come on jack,,,,
[-] The following 1 user Likes rookie57's post:
  • Westside
Seriously, why would anyone outside of Owensboro, other than maybe a priest, be for Catholic over Mayfield in this one? The Cardinals are the Bret Hart of KY HS football- the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be!!!!!!!!

#BringHome#13
[-] The following 3 users Like Old School Hound's post:
  • rookie57, Silverback, The Red Eminence
Old School.......Why would anyone outside of Owensboro not be for Catholic?
(11-25-2023, 06:06 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Seriously, why would anyone outside  of Owensboro, other than maybe a priest, be for Catholic over Mayfield in this one? The Cardinals are the Bret Hart of KY HS football- the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be!!!!!!!!

#BringHome#13
Hell yea oldschool, lol
Gonna go with my head here Mayfield by 14
(11-25-2023, 08:06 PM)Ace in the Hole Wrote: Old School.......Why would anyone outside of Owensboro not be for Catholic?
Mayfield is the best program to ever do it. First or second in most wins, first or second in winning percentage, dozen titles. Plus. they just do things the right way. If/when I move from Corbin I might just move to Mayfield.  Corbin and Mayfield go way back. Two or three of the best games and best teams I've ever seen go at in '76 and '77. Corbin and Mayfield have a lot of mutual respect. I know a lot of their fans still root for us and I know many, many Corbin fans still root for Mayfield. Great community, great school, unparalleled tradition. Need I say more?  

O.C. , good baseball program.

GO CARDINALS!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • Silverback
Mayfield is 14-1 all time versus the Aces. Also 5-0 in the playoffs versus the Aces. However, on the flip side Atwell’s cousin took it to us at War Memorial in the playoffs years ago. The other demon to exercise is the fact that the Cards have never won a state title in Lexington.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonis55's post:
  • KnoxvillesFinest
OC hasn’t had but 1 close game all year, September 8th against Owensboro. Almost 2 months ago, are they just that good, or will the lack of a war end up costing them? One thing for sure Mayfield has been in some wars, I would think that would work in their favor, for sure OC has an explosive offense, but no way they are better than LCA or Beechwood, doesn’t mean they can’t win, I’m just saying mayfield has been tested and only lost one of those games.
  • Silverback
OC’s QB is legit. IMO he’s better than Cutter, but Mayfield has the speed and athletes and will be too much for OC.
Old School, I'm not sure why that would make people not from Owensboro want to cheer for Mayfield but if that's what you think I can't argue with that. If everybody in Kentucky is against us then that would make winning just that much sweeter! Mayfield is a great program with a great tradition and winning will be really difficult but not impossible. I promise you OC will show up on Dec 1 with a BIG crowd and a will to win! Good luck to all the teams that are playing this weekend. My prayer is that everyone plays injury free and that all the fans traveling to and from the game safe travels. GO ACES!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ace in the Hole's post:
  • Deuce8
The Cards need to be ready for the hook and lateral this week. I see where they have been trying it.
Kroger has not been kind to the Cards ….
Catholics over Red Birds ……
In a close one … 38-36

(11-26-2023, 01:27 AM)mysonis55 Wrote: Mayfield is 14-1 all time versus the Aces. Also 5-0 in the playoffs versus the Aces. However, on the flip side Atwell’s cousin took it to us at War Memorial in the playoffs years ago. The other demon to exercise is the fact that the Cards have never won a state title in Lexington.
Was that Travis Atwell from Hancock co. Mr. Football? 1999 you are referring to ?
Travis Atwell is Brady's uncle not his cousin. Travis played for Hancock Co and was Mr. Football in 1999 and lost to Beechwood in the 1A finals.
(11-26-2023, 08:35 PM)Deuce8 Wrote: Kroger has not been kind to the Cards ….
Catholics over Red Birds ……
In a close one … 38-36

(11-26-2023, 01:27 AM)mysonis55 Wrote: Mayfield is 14-1 all time versus the Aces. Also 5-0 in the playoffs versus the Aces. However, on the flip side Atwell’s cousin took it to us at War Memorial in the playoffs years ago. The other demon to exercise is the fact that the Cards have never won a state title in Lexington.
Was that Travis Atwell from Hancock co. Mr. Football? 1999 you are referring to ?

Yes sir, it was. I believe it was Joe Morris’ first year as head coach and fans put a bunch of for sale signs in his yard.
Their passing offense is what everyone seems to be talking about… how does their defense stack up (obviously they have played a cakewalk for most of the year), but do they stand a chance at stopping Starks on Friday?
(11-26-2023, 05:12 AM)rookie57 Wrote: OC hasn’t had but 1 close game all year, September 8th against Owensboro. Almost 2 months ago, are they just that good, or will the lack of a war end up costing them? One thing for sure Mayfield has been in some wars, I would think that would work in their favor, for sure OC has an explosive offense, but no way they are better than LCA or Beechwood, doesn’t mean they can’t win, I’m just saying mayfield has been tested and only lost one of those games.
Why is there "no way" they are better than LCA or Beechwood? Serious question. I've watched every home game of OCs, 2 of LCAs games and only one Beechwood game - but in my admittedly biased opinion, OC is better than both.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Westernkykid's post:
  • Ace in the Hole
[Image: https://i.imgflip.com/87cev6.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • MayfieldCardinal
(11-27-2023, 12:45 AM)Westernkykid Wrote:
(11-26-2023, 05:12 AM)rookie57 Wrote: OC hasn’t had but 1 close game all year, September 8th against Owensboro. Almost 2 months ago, are they just that good, or will the lack of a war end up costing them? One thing for sure Mayfield has been in some wars, I would think that would work in their favor, for sure OC has an explosive offense, but no way they are better than LCA or Beechwood, doesn’t mean they can’t win, I’m just saying mayfield has been tested and only lost one of those games.
Why is there "no way" they are better than LCA or Beechwood? Serious question. I've watched every home game of OCs, 2 of LCAs games and only one Beechwood game - but in my admittedly biased opinion, OC is better than both.

I didn’t watch Beechwood this year other than the last few minutes of their game with Mayfield this past weekend but I watched LCA multiple times and I just watched the Somerset-Owensboro Catholic game on YouTube. I couldn’t say that O’Cath as a team is definitely better than LCA, but I felt like Atwell was much better than Boley. Very impressive QB who can beat you running or passing. After seeing both I think that Mayfield wins but Owensboro Catholic is definitely capable.
(11-27-2023, 01:07 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: [Image: https://i.imgflip.com/87cev6.jpg]
Lmbo

Just my biased opinion. I’d bet money if OC HAD PLAYED LCA’s or BEECHWOODS schedule, OC would not be undefeated. And if OC had played LCA or Beechwood in the playoffs they’d already be out. But they haven’t so we’ll never know. The game still has to be played and Mayfield will have to play a good game to win for sure. Hagan for beechwood was one of the best I’ve ever seen and he had 5 great receivers, I don’t think OC’s receivers are as good, yes their stats are great but OC HAS PLAYED NOBODY. You could say that their games with crittendon county and Henderson co were similar outcomes but I don’t put much stock in that.i could come back with, OC beat Owensboro by 5, who beat graves county by 7, and mayfield beat graves 42-7, really means nothing tho.Hey if OC WINS, I’ll give y’all props for sure, but I think OC’s blowouts are gonna bite them Friday. They haven’t been tested, by the same token Mayfield may be physically and emotionally drained too. I hope both teams play their best football, no turnovers by either and may the best team win.

(11-27-2023, 01:33 AM)Shogun Wrote:

I didn’t watch Beechwood this year other than the last few minutes of their game with Mayfield this past weekend but I watched LCA multiple times and I just watched the Somerset-Owensboro Catholic game on YouTube. I couldn’t say that O’Cath as a team is definitely better than LCA, but I felt like Atwell was much better than Boley. Very impressive QB who can beat you running or passing. After seeing both I think that Mayfield wins but Owensboro Catholic is definitely capable.
Atwell most definitely is a fine QB, bETTER THAN BOLEY,,,, Maybe, but if OC had played LCA’s schedule, 
Bowling Green
 Boyle county
Pikeville
CAL
LEXINGTON CATHOLIC, Atwwell’s stats would not be near as high.
I’ve not seen atwell in person but I definitely think Hagan for Beecwood is better.
  • Deuce8