Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bell County 24 Belfry 22
final
Bell took Woolum out of the game… Young put the team on his back but Belfry had a chance to take it on the goal line and couldn’t catch the pop pass. Couldn’t stop Thomas all game long. Pretty rough way to go out.
Congratulations to Bell
Woohoo!! Go Bobcats!
How has Belfry’s middle school dominated for like 20 years but their high school continues to have early round playoff exits? I keep seeing pictures of all Belfry’s middle school rings on social media but yet they seem to not even be able to be the best team in the county through high school. Is it coaching or something else? Do they get satisfied with middle school prowess? Are they just older in middle school and it catches up at high school? I’m kinda taking a jab but also asking seriously?
Belfry was kinda doomed from the start of the season losing their qb. But still put together an awesome season. I don’t think they are going anywhere anytime soon.

(11-10-2023, 11:56 PM)Micro-Brew Wrote: How has Belfry’s middle school dominated for like 20 years but their high school continues to have early round playoff exits? I keep seeing pictures of all Belfry’s middle school rings on social media but yet they seem to not even be able to be the best team in the county through high school. Is it coaching or something else? Do they get satisfied with middle school prowess? Are they just older in middle school and it catches up at high school? I’m kinda taking a jab but also asking seriously?

peaking too early lol. 

I remember a 7th and 8th grade running back when I played that was absolutely unstoppable and he never played one down of high school football.
If all the kids on those middle school teams were still at Belfry, this score would be a LOT different.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Khalisimo's post:
  • Old School 18
(11-10-2023, 11:56 PM)Micro-Brew Wrote: How has Belfry’s middle school dominated for like 20 years but their high school continues to have early round playoff exits? I keep seeing pictures of all Belfry’s middle school rings on social media but yet they seem to not even be able to be the best team in the county through high school. Is it coaching or something else? Do they get satisfied with middle school prowess? Are they just older in middle school and it catches up at high school? I’m kinda taking a jab but also asking seriously?
Do what???!!! They’ve won 6 out of the last 10 state championships in 3a. What do you mean? Last 2 seasons have been the only 2 exits before 3rd round since 2010. Please explain. They won a state championship in 2019 and 2021. Last year they were not very good. This year they were good and lost to another good team who id consider was upset by Rockcastle to force Bell vs Belfry round 2. I think tonight we saw what it felt like for Bell fans have to watch Dixon run all over them for 3 years with how Thomas ran. The kid runs hard and is shifty and hard to tackle. I hope Dudley wins him another title.
[-] The following 2 users Like pirateforlife's post:
  • Cactus Jack, jax
I was exaggerating with the last 20 years of middle school.
But haven’t they won like 6 in a row through middle school or something insane like that? So when you have 4 whole classes at the high school who dominated middle school do you think these early exits are what should be expected?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Micro-Brew's post:
  • Advicegiver74
(11-10-2023, 11:56 PM)VoR_58 Wrote: Belfry was kinda doomed from the start of the season losing their qb.  But still put together an awesome season.  I don’t think they are going anywhere anytime soon.

peaking too early lol. 

I remember a 7th and 8th grade running back when I played that was absolutely unstoppable and he never played one down of high school football.
Who are you talking about?
Belfry throwing a pass on 2nd and 6 from the 8 on their last drive when Bell couldn’t stop the run was the difference. The rare Belfry unforced error. Tough loss.
Congratulations to Bell. Thomas is a hard running kid. Good Teams have had success in the running game against Belfry all season….and tonight was no exception.

That being said….Belfry’s offensive playing calling on their last offensive series at the 13 was….well….AWFUL. But enough said about that. Belfry has shown marked improvement over last season. They should be one of the favorites in 3A next year.
Bell County done what only Boyle County has been able to do since 2010 which is come to Pond Creek and win in the playoffs. I’d like to see the last 2 point conversion for Belfry. Looked in to me but didn’t have a great angle. Thomas is as advertised. Not as good as Dixon IMO but very good. I’d say if Bell and Rockcastle played 10 times Bell would win 8 or 9 so this really was a state semi final level matchup. Belfry is better than teams still playing in 3a. If Bell plays with the effort and mentality they played with the rest of this playoff run they’ll be hard to beat. I’m sad to see the season end but every fan of teams still playing in 3a would like to have had Belfry’s run last 20 years. 8 state championships and 12 title appearances total
[-] The following 2 users Like pirateforlife's post:
  • Cactus Jack, jax
(11-11-2023, 12:02 AM)pirateforlife Wrote:
Do what???!!! They’ve won 6 out of the last 10 state championships in 3a. What do you mean? Last 2 seasons have been the only 2 exits before 3rd round since 2010. Please explain. They won a state championship in 2019 and 2021. Last year they were not very good. This year they were good and lost to another good team who id consider was upset by Rockcastle to force Bell vs Belfry round 2. I think tonight we saw what it felt like for Bell fans have to watch Dixon run all over them for 3 years with how Thomas ran. The kid runs hard and is shifty and hard to tackle. I hope Dudley wins him another title.
This years team is no better or worse than last years team. Will be no better or worse next year. A good team they will be but just good. Belfry was blessed with a 5th year Dixon and that is only reason they have last championship. Been to much hype on middle school teams. Many kids don’t play in high school and several of their better kids have left for whatever reason and the WV pipeline is probably closed or will flow south on 119.
(11-11-2023, 12:14 AM)Truewords Wrote:
This years team is no better or worse than last years team. Will be no better or worse next year. A good team they will be but just good. Belfry was blessed with a 5th year Dixon and that is only reason they have last championship. Been to much hype on middle school teams. Many kids don’t play in high school and several of their better kids have left for whatever reason and the WV pipeline is probably closed or will flow south on 119.
I’m not really knowledgeable on the middle school teams so who has been good middle school players there that decided not to play HS? I know a couple left and went to Mingo but who is at Belfry that didn’t play who could have helped the team? And disagree 100% that this year team and last year were equal. Belfry was running clocked in the playoffs and a lot last year but every game they lost was competitive this year.
He was definitely in on the two point conversion but the play calling killed us.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Belfry fan 75's post:
  • BoondockSaint
Thomas is a stud.  Best pure RB Belfry has seen this year.  The kid can play.  Bell O-Line was impressive too.  Congrats to them on the win!

Our play calling was atrocious, and I’m not trying to be nice, it was flat out terrible.  The best offensive player we have touched the ball 5 times or less. I really hate to see such a great player and kid end his career that way.  Cayden Woolum deserved the chance to make an impact on the game, but whoever calls the plays thought otherwise.  Idk if it’s still Haywood that calls plays, but the last offensive series was the worst I’ve seen since the 2nd quarter of the 2003 championship game right before halftime. Somebody shit the bed on this one or we’d be playing in the 3rd round.  It was just awful.  

Congrats to Bell Co and Coach Hilton.  His team team came to play and they earned the W.

(11-11-2023, 12:22 AM)Belfry fan 75 Wrote: He was definitely in on the two point conversion but the play calling killed us.

I thought he was in too.  To be honest, I didn’t even think it was close.
We tend to tighten up and get to one dimensional and we did it tonight

And I agree. No way you can let Woolum carry as few times as he did. Most athletic kid on the field. And how can we just let them run it down our throats and not make changes to defensive line
[-] The following 1 user Likes Belfry fan 75's post:
  • BoondockSaint
(11-11-2023, 12:21 AM)pirateforlife Wrote:
I’m not really knowledgeable on the middle school teams so who has been good middle school players there that decided not to play HS? I know a couple left and went to Mingo but who is at Belfry that didn’t play who could have helped the team? And disagree 100% that this year team and last year were equal. Belfry was running clocked in the playoffs and a lot last year but every game they lost was competitive this year.
Last years Ashland team that beat belfry was much better than this years bell county. Several opponents on last year’s schedule were also better. This year they at least attempted to initiate a pass threat. No player in particular am I saying isn’t playing just thru high school years many kids do not play all way thru high school. Look at last years and this years senior class. Small classes both years. Good quality players just not many of them. Belfry does return large numbers next year but everyone they loose this year hurts. Young and Woolum are big time players. Woolum was really only pass receiving threat this year. Lose a couple quality linemen. So next year will be only as good as this year and last year. Still will get beat by Pikeville and couple others. Probably win district again though.
Was this Dudley’s first career win over Heywood???
(11-11-2023, 12:39 AM)Truewords Wrote:
(11-11-2023, 12:21 AM)pirateforlife Wrote:
(11-11-2023, 12:02 AM)pirateforlife Wrote: [quote="Micro-Brew" pid="2431292" dateline="1699671363"]
How has Belfry’s middle school dominated for like 20 years but their high school continues to have early round playoff exits? I keep seeing pictures of all Belfry’s middle school rings on social media but yet they seem to not even be able to be the best team in the county through high school. Is it coaching or something else? Do they get satisfied with middle school prowess? Are they just older in middle school and it catches up at high school? I’m kinda taking a jab but also asking seriously?
Last years Ashland team that beat belfry was much better than this years bell county. Several opponents on last year’s schedule were also better. This year they at least attempted to initiate a pass threat. No player in particular am I saying isn’t playing just thru high school years many kids do not play all way thru high school. Look at last years and this years senior class. Small classes both years. Good quality players just not many of them. Belfry does return large numbers next year but everyone they loose this year hurts. Young and Woolum are big time players. Woolum was really only pass receiving threat this year. Lose a couple quality linemen. So next year will be only as good as this year and last year. Still will get beat by Pikeville and couple others. Probably win district again though.

Next year you will see marked improved by the Pirates. Last years team was ineffective. This years team, while having some nice talent…simply didn’t have enough up front defensively to make any real type of run at a championship. Too small, too light and missing quality LB play in the middle. That should change next year.
I can't name a single position group on defense that played as much as decent.
the play calls were odd but if caught both probably go for first downs... frustrating.
Way to go Bobcats! You smoked some pirate hind end Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes pjdoug's post:
  • jax
(11-11-2023, 12:11 AM)jetpilot Wrote: Belfry throwing a pass on 2nd and 6 from the 8 on their last drive when Bell couldn’t stop the run was the difference. The rare Belfry unforced error. Tough loss.
I agree. Field goal there takes the lead so I’d have ran it and if they stop it you have the option to kick it to go up 1.
(11-11-2023, 12:13 AM)pirateforlife Wrote: Bell County done what only Boyle County has been able to do since 2010 which is come to Pond Creek and win in the playoffs. I’d like to see the last 2 point conversion for Belfry. Looked in to me but didn’t have a great angle. Thomas is as advertised. Not as good as Dixon IMO but very good. I’d say if Bell and Rockcastle played 10 times Bell would win 8 or 9 so this really was a state semi final level matchup. Belfry is better than teams still playing in 3a. If Bell plays with the effort and mentality they played with the rest of this playoff run they’ll be hard to beat. I’m sad to see the season end but every fan of teams still playing in 3a would like to have had Belfry’s run last 20 years. 8 state championships and 12 title appearances total

Dixon was 5 years older than Thomas. lol
(11-11-2023, 12:22 AM)Belfry fan 75 Wrote: He was definitely in on the two point conversion but the play calling killed us.
Damn! Too bad we didn’t have the crew that was at Ashland on that play he’d definitely been in by 5 yards

(11-11-2023, 01:02 AM)pjdoug Wrote:
(11-11-2023, 12:13 AM)pirateforlife Wrote: Bell County done what only Boyle County has been able to do since 2010 which is come to Pond Creek and win in the playoffs. I’d like to see the last 2 point conversion for Belfry. Looked in to me but didn’t have a great angle. Thomas is as advertised. Not as good as Dixon IMO but very good. I’d say if Bell and Rockcastle played 10 times Bell would win 8 or 9 so this really was a state semi final level matchup. Belfry is better than teams still playing in 3a. If Bell plays with the effort and mentality they played with the rest of this playoff run they’ll be hard to beat. I’m sad to see the season end but every fan of teams still playing in 3a would like to have had Belfry’s run last 20 years. 8 state championships and 12 title appearances total

Dixon turned 19 in September on his 5th year. Had never been held back until then so stop with that nonsense
(11-10-2023, 11:48 PM)Khalisimo Wrote: Bell took Woolum out of the game… Young put the team on his back but Belfry had a chance to take it on the goal line and couldn’t catch the pop pass. Couldn’t stop Thomas all game long. Pretty rough way to go out.

Interesting take. How many touches Woolum have?
(11-11-2023, 01:04 AM)pirateforlife Wrote:
Damn! Too bad we didn’t have the crew that was at Ashland on that play he’d definitely been in by 5 yards

(11-11-2023, 01:02 AM)pjdoug Wrote:

Dixon turned 19 in September on his 5th year. Had never been held back until then so stop with that nonsense

Get a sense of humor Big Grin
Can someone let me know last time Belfry didn’t make 3rd round in consecutive seasons? I’d love to know what the staff was thinking on that last drive with the calls. Field goal was just as good as a td there.
(11-11-2023, 12:42 AM)ROTC Wrote: Was this Dudley’s first career win over Heywood???

No