Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prestonsburg 30 Leslie County 21
Good effort from both teams.

The ol ball team earned this one.

Congrats, fellas!
Congratulations to P-Burg, but I sure thought Leslie would
Win this one.
On paper it made no sense for Prestonsburg to win this game. Leslie County returned a bulk of their team from last season that took Martin County down to the wire in the playoffs. Prestonsburg returned 2 linemen and a receiver on offense and 2 DBs and a LB on defense. Graduated everyone else that contributed last season. Pburg starts a freshman at QB and 3 freshman on defense. Starting safety is a senior, but hasn’t played football since middle school. 3 of the starting offensive linemen have only been playing football for 3 years. So it made sense to pick Leslie County by 2+ touchdowns. Good thing games aren’t played on paper.

The Blackcats night started off a little rocky. Leslie marched right down the field and scored in just over 2 mins. Pburg’s second play they lose their starting RB/ATH Nic Kidd to a knee injury for the game. So there goes one of your best offensive weapons and a chunk of the playbook out the window. However, the coaches made adjustments on the fly and freshman Colin Hatfield come in the backfield and teamed up with senior Jacob Rose to have one heckuva night on the ground. Both combined for nearly 300 yards rushing. Junior receivers Dalton Elliott & Alex Harris played big time games also. Freshman quarterback, Bryce Holbrook looked like veteran quarterback out there tonight. Never once lost his composer and had a few nice passes, including one TD to Elliott. The most impressive thing he done was draw Leslie County offsides 5 times with the hard count. Biggest story of the game offensively for Pburg was the playmaking abilities from Jacob Rose who earned the player of the game award. I think he rushed for 185 yards and a touchdown.

Defensively the Blackcats played outstanding. After the first LC touchdown drive the Blackcats made adjustments and while they give up some yards, they found ways to make stops or create turnovers when they needed them. A true bend but don’t break defense. Pburg got huge games defensively from Braydon Jervis who had a deflection that ended up being picked off and he also had 2 interceptions of his own. The Blackcats also had huge nights defensively from Westin Harris, Logan Stumbo, and Colton Laferty.

Overall, I’m really impressed with this Prestonsburg team. They showed some signs of being electric offensively and very aggressive on defense. This team has some “dawgs” and they had Leslie rattled in the 4th quarter. This team is far from a finished product. The young guys need to keep getting experience and some things need ironed out, but I’d bet the house on this team being really scary by the time district play starts.

Congrats to coach Brewer and his staff! Hats off Blackcat fans… it was awesome seeing the stadium packed.

Still have a long way to go, but exciting times for Prestonsburg football!
[-] The following 3 users Like BlackcatAlum's post:
  • BlackcatPride32, Nations Elite, Red and Black
Congratulations to the Blackcats.  I thought this was going to be Leslie County's night, but Prestonsburg rose to the occasion.  I really wish they would do away with the soccer program see what kind of team that they could produce.