Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has eastern Kentucky football reached the level of central and western Kentucky play?
What are your thoughts? I know we have mountain teams that have won state championships, but has the level of play caught up? Are they catching up in your opinion?
Most definitely. Overall it’s ahead of western Ky
I believe everything is different nowadays than it was years ago. 25 years ago eastern Kentucky as a whole couldn’t compete with northern Kentucky. I believe football is so watered down that you have a few teams in each class that have really good programs then the talent falls off drastically. It doesn’t really matter what part of the state you’re in. You can almost pencil in who’s gonna play in each championship every year
[-] The following 4 users Like RAMDAD50's post:
  • Hatz, rookie57, TheStickyBandit, wolfcat
It's the same as it has always been. The top level teams can compete, same as they always have. The only difference now is that because of consolidation and transfers there are less teams locally that rise and fall to challenge the top teams.
(08-03-2023, 12:05 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: I believe everything is different nowadays than it was years ago. 25 years ago eastern Kentucky as a whole couldn’t compete with northern Kentucky. I believe football is so watered down that you have a few teams in each class that have really good programs then the talent falls off drastically. It doesn’t really matter what part of the state you’re in. You can almost pencil in who’s gonna play in each championship every year
Part of that is 6 classes instead of 4. Each class about 4 teams who you can realistically see winning a championship. In 4 classes you had 10-12 in each class. Go back and look at the playoff brackets back when there was 4 classes.
[-] The following 3 users Like pirateforlife's post:
  • Gitback Coach, Hatz, wolfcat
Outside of JC, Corbin, and Pikeville. East/southeast KY can’t compete. Speed, size, numbers. (Let’s say from the last 5 years)
Yes 100% Eastern Kentucky High School Football has leveled up over the past few decades to where they are consistently Winning State Championships in several classes in most Years.
(08-03-2023, 02:20 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:
(08-03-2023, 12:05 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: I believe everything is different nowadays than it was years ago. 25 years ago eastern Kentucky as a whole couldn’t compete with northern Kentucky. I believe football is so watered down that you have a few teams in each class that have really good programs then the talent falls off drastically. It doesn’t really matter what part of the state you’re in. You can almost pencil in who’s gonna play in each championship every year
Part of that is 6 classes instead of 4. Each class about 4 teams who you can realistically see winning a championship. In 4 classes you had 10-12 in each class. Go back and look at the playoff brackets back when there was 4 classes.
This.  If you think about Class A in the 4 Class system the East as we know it now wouldn’t be the dominant power.  Back then you had Beechwood, Mayfield, LCA, Danville, and NCC in their prime running Class A.  Pikeville’s current program would have still been a top team but not the king of Class A it is now.
(08-05-2023, 12:18 AM)AverageJoe Wrote: Outside of JC, Corbin, and Pikeville. East/southeast KY can’t compete. Speed, size, numbers.  (Let’s say from the last 5 years)

So... Belfry, Raceland, Paintsville, Hazard don't count? Each of them are top five programs in their classes.

(08-05-2023, 04:22 AM)Orange Blaze Wrote:
This.  If you think about Class A in the 4 Class system the East as we know it now wouldn’t be the dominant power.  Back then you had Beechwood, Mayfield, LCA, Danville, and NCC in their prime running Class A.  Pikeville’s current program would have still been a top team but not the king of Class A it is now.
I disagree when you compare scores over the past few years. Before Beechwood moved up, Pikeville was very competitive compared to Beechwood who has controlled class 2A. If you look at last season, Mayfield, Lexington Christian and Beechwood were all a touchdown game where Pikeville put a running clock on Lexington Christian. Pikeville would have won one, if not two state titles in the old Class A over the past five years.
[-] The following 2 users Like bball_fan's post:
  • VoR_58, wolfcat
I agree with above post. Pikeville has been best team in 1 or 2a probably 2 if not 3 of the last 5 years
(08-05-2023, 11:36 AM)bball_fan Wrote:
(08-05-2023, 12:18 AM)AverageJoe Wrote: Outside of JC, Corbin, and Pikeville. East/southeast KY can’t compete. Speed, size, numbers.  (Let’s say from the last 5 years)

So... Belfry, Raceland, Paintsville, Hazard don't count? Each of them are top five programs in their classes.

(08-05-2023, 04:22 AM)Orange Blaze Wrote:
I disagree when you compare scores over the past few years. Before Beechwood moved up, Pikeville was very competitive compared to Beechwood who has controlled class 2A. If you look at last season, Mayfield, Lexington Christian and Beechwood were all a touchdown game where Pikeville put a running clock on Lexington Christian. Pikeville would have won one, if not two state titles in the old Class A over the past five years.
Pikeville for sure would have won title titles with the above mentioned teams in 1A.  All I was saying was in 4 Class system it was harder to win a title in 1A because the top was much deeper.  The biggest beneficiary of the 6 Class system was Raceland.  If the 4 class system was was still in place we probably would still getting beat in the 2nd and 3rd round every year and wouldn’t even be in the talks for a championship.