Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RFK Jr. Calls for Federal Legalization of Marijuana; Let States Decide Own Laws
This is the man that Democrats should be running for president and Tulsi Gabbard would make a good running mate for him.

I disagree with RFK, Jr. on a lot of issues but this makes perfect sense to me. One of the worst Supreme Court decisions, IMO, was a ruling that held individuals have no right to grow marijuana on private property for their own use, based on the Commerce clause of the Constitution. 

The federal government has the right to regulate interstate commerce, but states should regulate drug use within their own borders, IMO. It should be obvious to everybody by now that the federal government does not fairly enforce federal laws. States should be responsible for legislating and enforcing criminal laws within their own borders, in accordance with the 10th Amendment to the greatest extent possible.

I think people who use marijuana for "recreational use" are dopes, and its medicinal value is dubious when compared to its drawbacks, but the federal government will eventually have no choice but to downsize and federal drug laws that do not involve interstate commerce would be a great start.

(06-25-2023, 03:53 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: This is the man that Democrats should be running for president and Tulsi Gabbard would make a good running mate for him.

I disagree with RFK, Jr. on a lot of issues but this makes perfect sense to me. One of the worst Supreme Court decisions, IMO, was a ruling that held individuals have no right to grow marijuana on private property for their own use, based on the Commerce clause of the Constitution. 

The federal government has the right to regulate interstate commerce, but states should regulate drug use within their own borders, IMO. It should be obvious to everybody by now that the federal government does not fairly enforce federal laws. States should be responsible for legislating and enforcing criminal laws within their own borders, in accordance with the 10th Amendment to the greatest extent possible.

I think people who use marijuana for "recreational use" are dopes, and its medicinal value is dubious when compared to its drawbacks, but the federal government will eventually have no choice but to downsize and federal drug laws that do not involve interstate commerce would be a great start.

I meant to say, "one of the worst decisions of the Scalia Supreme Court." The abuse of the Commerce clause is the basis for the Supreme Court trampling state's rights in a broad range of legislation, including the reach of the EPA into areas that do not extend beyond a state's borders.