Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Looking ahead: Class 3A 2023
Class 3A
West
1- Hancock County, Hopkins County Central, McLean County, Trigg County, Union County, Webster County
2- Adair County, Butler County, Franklin-Simpson, Glasgow, Hart County
3- Central, Christian Academy-Louisville, Elizabethtown, LaRue County
4- Casey County, Garrard County, Marion County, Mercer County

East
5- Bourbon County, Lexington Catholic, Lloyd Memorial, Pendleton County
6- Bath County, East Carter, Fleming County, Lewis County, Russell, West Carter
7- Bell County, Clay County, Knox Central, McCreary Central, Rockcastle County
8- Belfry, Estill County, Lawrence County, Magoffin County, Powell County

Who is the top teams in Class 3A for 2023?
Lou Central fast and quick athletes across the roster with some linemen returning. CAL returns their qb and some nice wr. Belfry are a bunch of “bring my lunch pale” type of dudes. Lex Catholic graduated a bunch of impact players and lost some to transfer, so it might be just a mediocre season for them.
How about Bell County? Hearing they are loaded.
(02-17-2023, 07:30 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: Class 3A
West
1- Hancock County, Hopkins County Central, McLean County, Trigg County, Union County, Webster County

East

Central, Cal, Lex Cath, Lloyd, Belry
What does Lloyd have coming back? Haven’t been a real player in some time. I’m sure Bell will be in the overall mix. I think the real questions surround the East. The eastern side of 3A was woefully poor last year. Will that improve? Does Belfry actually show up this year? Does LC build off of their first district championship in a LONG, LONG time. As of now….the power sets in the west. Should be interesting.
West

East

1.  CAL vs Central and only one of them makes it to Semi State, that's a shame.  

2.  Look forward to the Union vs Webster Co battle over this 4 year cycle. 

3.  Pendleton Co got a tough break and I hope this district doesn't diminish their player numbers for this struggling program. 

4.  Lewis Co is a team to watch in D6

5.  Rockcastle will be winning D7 titles y 2024 (maybe even 2023)

6.  The Belfry vs Lawrence Co matchups are going to be fun to watch the next 4 years. 

This is the most competitive class IMO over this next 4 year cycle.

(02-18-2023, 02:08 PM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote: What does Lloyd have coming back?  Haven’t been a real player in some time.  I’m sure Bell will be in the overall mix.  I think the real questions surround the East.  The eastern side of 3A was woefully poor last year.  Will that improve?  Does Belfry actually show up this year?  Does LC build off of their first district championship in a LONG, LONG time.  As of now….the power sets in the west.  Should be interesting.

Lloyd has nothing, they sometimes schedule weak regular seasons to get these good records and they big eggs in the playoffs.  The years Lloyd actually had playoff caliber talent, they lost in first round.
(02-19-2023, 10:29 AM)plantmanky Wrote:
West

East

1.  CAL vs Central and only one of them makes it to Semi State, that's a shame.  

2.  Look forward to the Union vs Webster Co battle over this 4 year cycle. 

3.  Pendleton Co got a tough break and I hope this district doesn't diminish their player numbers for this struggling program. 

4.  Lewis Co is a team to watch in D6

5.  Rockcastle will be winning D7 titles y 2024 (maybe even 2023)

6.  The Belfry vs Lawrence Co matchups are going to be fun to watch the next 4 years. 

This is the most competitive class IMO over this next 4 year cycle.

(02-18-2023, 02:08 PM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote: What does Lloyd have coming back?  Haven’t been a real player in some time.  I’m sure Bell will be in the overall mix.  I think the real questions surround the East.  The eastern side of 3A was woefully poor last year.  Will that improve?  Does Belfry actually show up this year?  Does LC build off of their first district championship in a LONG, LONG time.  As of now….the power sets in the west.  Should be interesting.

Lloyd has nothing, they sometimes schedule weak regular seasons to get these good records and they big eggs in the playoffs.  The years Lloyd actually had playoff caliber talent, they lost in first round.
Adding Lex Cath back into the mix definitely helps 3A.   At least on paper.
Belfry is back
3A CHAMPS
(02-19-2023, 07:44 PM)Warriorhawk17 Wrote: Belfry is back
3A CHAMPS
I thought Bell had a lot coming back. Don't overlook Clay Co.. QB is very good !!
[-] The following 1 user Likes BUFFALO's post:
  • Cowboy42
Louisville Central moving back to 3A is a nightmare for most of us 3A's, just being honest. However we have went and watched Central probably more than any other team, Central or Corbin on our off weeks, or after we've been put out of the playoffs. Central folks were always good to us, in the stands and as staff, etc.. They kicked the hell out of us on the field. :-D After watching CAL slow down and stop Tilghman's offense in the 2nd half last year, man, playing either Central or CAL is just a bad dream.
(02-20-2023, 02:36 AM)smoke1015 Wrote: Louisville Central moving back to 3A is a nightmare for most of us 3A's, just being honest. However we have went and watched Central probably more than any other team, Central or Corbin on our off weeks,  or after we've been put out of the playoffs. Central folks were always good to us, in the stands and as staff, etc.. They kicked the hell out of us on the field. :-D After watching CAL slow down and stop Tilghman's offense in the 2nd half last year, man, playing either Central or CAL is just a bad dream.

You didn’t sit by me at any Corbin game’s obviously. I always share my popcorn and hot chocolate lol..
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bull got out!'s post:
  • smoke1015
(02-20-2023, 02:36 AM)smoke1015 Wrote: Louisville Central moving back to 3A is a nightmare for most of us 3A's, just being honest. However we have went and watched Central probably more than any other team, Central or Corbin on our off weeks, or after we've been put out of the playoffs. Central folks were always good to us, in the stands and as staff, etc.. They kicked the hell out of us on the field. :-D After watching CAL slow down and stop Tilghman's offense in the 2nd half last year, man, playing either Central or CAL is just a bad dream.
As bad as last year was for Belfry, and trust me it was a rough year. 
Everybody seems to forget the Belfry beat central. Albeit at home but nonetheless beat them all the same. 
Beat their young core with our young core.
[-] The following 1 user Likes irishcard16's post:
  • Bull got out!
(02-20-2023, 09:33 PM)irishcard16 Wrote:
(02-20-2023, 02:36 AM)smoke1015 Wrote: Louisville Central moving back to 3A is a nightmare for most of us 3A's, just being honest. However we have went and watched Central probably more than any other team, Central or Corbin on our off weeks, or after we've been put out of the playoffs. Central folks were always good to us, in the stands and as staff, etc.. They kicked the hell out of us on the field. :-D After watching CAL slow down and stop Tilghman's offense in the 2nd half last year, man, playing either Central or CAL is just a bad dream.
Everybody seems to forget the Belfry beat central. Albeit at home but nonetheless beat them all the same. 

Central didn’t look the part earlier in the year last year. They definitely looked like a better team when they played Boyle County. Belfry beat them last year and can do it again this year. Good teams know how to win.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bull got out!'s post:
  • smoke1015
(02-20-2023, 12:20 PM)Bull got out! Wrote:
(02-20-2023, 02:36 AM)smoke1015 Wrote: Louisville Central moving back to 3A is a nightmare for most of us 3A's, just being honest. However we have went and watched Central probably more than any other team, Central or Corbin on our off weeks,  or after we've been put out of the playoffs. Central folks were always good to us, in the stands and as staff, etc.. They kicked the hell out of us on the field. :-D After watching CAL slow down and stop Tilghman's offense in the 2nd half last year, man, playing either Central or CAL is just a bad dream.

You didn’t sit by me at any Corbin game’s obviously. I always share my popcorn and hot chocolate lol..
Lol! I watched Corbin play Pikeville this past year, and then of course the championship game. Both games were 2 of the best I've saw.

That's a good point though. Belfry has never feared Central at all. Those games have been barn burners. But most of us are NOT Belfry. :-D
(02-20-2023, 10:08 PM)Bull got out! Wrote:

Central didn’t look the part earlier in the year last year. They definitely looked like a better team when they played Boyle County. Belfry beat them last year and can do it again this year. Good teams know how to win.
Right and I’m by no means rooting the horn of an under achieving Belfry team from last year. Just wanted to point out with all the praise being heaped on Central and their young kids that a very young Belfry team did beat them head to head. 

By no means am I saying Belfry should be the favorite for anything after last years stinker of a season.
(02-21-2023, 10:18 AM)irishcard16 Wrote:
(02-20-2023, 10:08 PM)Bull got out! Wrote:

Right and I’m by no means rooting the horn of an under achieving Belfry team from last year. Just wanted to point out with all the praise being heaped on Central and their young kids that a very young Belfry team did beat them head to head. 

By no means am I saying Belfry should be the favorite for anything after last years stinker of a season.
Last year was definitely one to put behind us.   Hoping to see some growth…especially mental growth  this upcoming season.   Last years team really struggled on the road and in dealing with adversity.   While youth definitely played a major role in that….I fear that it could rear its head again if these kids haven’t gotten a little tougher mentally.    There is a lot of talent on the roster.   We’ll just have to wait and see.
(02-17-2023, 07:30 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: Class 3A
West

East

West
1. Union County
2. Hart County
3. Central
4. Mercer County

East
5. Lexington Catholic
6. Russell
7. Bell County
8. Belfry
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rip/Spin's post:
  • Bull got out!
Bump
Belfry has some skill pieces to make some noise for sure, and a year of physical and coaching development will help a VERY young team from last year.

It all boils down to the LOS. Belfry was non-competitive at times at the LOS on both sides of the ball.

For my money, CAL is the clear cut favorite entering the season and LexCath is the clear cut #2. People forget that LexCath beat Boyle in the regular season and romped LCA as well. I think there is gap to the rest.

Central & Belfry have the talent to get in the picture, but both are works in progress and need to be much better than 2022 to contend.

Bell County, Union County, Etown (drama abounds though), and Lawrence County are all on similar footing as Belfry and Central, but their ceilings are not as high as those two teams. There are about 4 or 5 more teams who can bite you on any given night but probably don't have a legit shot at a Championship push.
Heard Belfry has lost a few big pieces the past week.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Waitaminute's post:
  • Westside
(06-19-2023, 05:15 PM)Waitaminute Wrote: Heard Belfry has lost a few big pieces the past week.
the news is out
time to look in the mirror
(06-19-2023, 05:15 PM)Waitaminute Wrote: Heard Belfry has lost a few big pieces the past week.
Tell us what you know.
(06-19-2023, 07:41 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:
Tell us what you know.
I heard they lost a good one to Pikeville and may lose a couple of good ones to Logan.   Usually where there is smoke there’s fire.  Certainly disappointing to say the least.  But….the program will survive.
(06-19-2023, 07:57 PM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:
Tell us what you know.
I heard they lost a good one to Pikeville and may lose a couple of good ones to Logan.   Usually where there is smoke there’s fire.  Certainly disappointing to say the least.  But….the program will survive.
Names??? Positions?
Honestly figured they may lose a couple when Jones took over Mingo
(06-19-2023, 08:00 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:
Tell us what you know.
Names??? Positions?
lost one or two there too. it isnt about jones, mcnamee, haywood, or football at all.
its about the other sports. they had their chances to remedy this.
(06-19-2023, 08:26 PM)Khalisimo Wrote:
(06-19-2023, 08:00 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:
Tell us what you know.
Names??? Positions?
lost one or two there too. it isnt about jones, mcnamee, haywood, or football at all.
its about the other sports. they had their chances to remedy this.
I have no idea who it is but figured we’d find out soon from a big post on Facebook from D&D. I have an idea who you’re talking about but won’t mention any names incase I may be wrong.
im not sure its the right place to say names but i can tell you in the last 7 days 3 starters have left 2 more are on the cusp and those close to the situation wont be shocked to be 3 to 5 more on top of that
nobody cared when it was baseball, basketball, or girls players leaving... it was going to trickle to this point eventually. probably a talk for a belfry thread but as for 3a it is safe to assume the pirates won't be as much of a factor as previously thought.
its all going to come out eventually
(06-19-2023, 08:46 PM)Khalisimo Wrote: im not sure its the right place to say names but i can tell you in the last 7 days 3 starters have left 2 more are on the cusp and those close to the situation wont be shocked to be 3 to 5 more on top of that
nobody cared when it was baseball, basketball, or girls players leaving... it was going to trickle to this point eventually. probably a talk for a belfry thread but as for 3a it is safe to assume the pirates won't be as much of a factor as previously thought.
So I assume it’s no player who is a football only athlete? I told people a few seasons ago that I wouldn’t be shocked if some of the better athletes at that time did not graduate from Belfry. I was called crazy bc of who their families were and said they bleed Belfry red. At some point you have to do what is best overall for yourself.
(06-19-2023, 08:51 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:
(06-19-2023, 08:46 PM)Khalisimo Wrote: im not sure its the right place to say names but i can tell you in the last 7 days 3 starters have left 2 more are on the cusp and those close to the situation wont be shocked to be 3 to 5 more on top of that
So I assume it’s no player who is a football only athlete? I told people a few seasons ago that I wouldn’t be shocked if some of the better athletes at that time did not graduate from Belfry. I was called crazy bc of who their families were and said they bleed Belfry red. At some point you have to do what is best overall for yourself.
to my knowledge all of them play baseball and or basketball. and yes families that are die hards are having to choose what is best for their son. loyalty to your boy comes before loyalty to the school every single time. it is a sad they have to choose one over the other because people at the top refuse to be serious about hiring coaches.
Time to clean house from administration down. Only coach that should be safe is Haywood. The rest have to be fired.