9/1 - Martin County 
9/8 - @ Middlesboro
9/15 - Perry Central
9/22 - @ E-Town
10/6 - Pike Central
10/13 - Betsy Layne
10/20 - @ East Ridge
10/27 - @ Floyd Central

The 8/26 game at Taylor County tells me Shelby Valley is not participating in the Pike County Bowl this year. First I’ve heard of this, wondered what happened.

*wonder what happened

Thumbnail(s)

(01-24-2023, 11:21 AM)Buffs19 Wrote: Per the social media post, Shelby Valley’s 2023 schedule:

8/18 - Letcher Central
8/26 - @ Taylor County
9/1 - Martin County 
9/8 - @ Middlesboro
9/15 - Perry Central
9/22 - @ E-Town
10/6 - Pike Central
10/13 - Betsy Layne
10/20 - @ East Ridge
10/27 - @ Floyd Central

The 8/26 game at Taylor County tells me Shelby Valley is not participating in the Pike County Bowl this year. First I’ve heard of this, wondered what happened.

I would assume it's a casualty of the new re-alignment, where Shelby Valley, Pike Central, and East Ridge are all now in the same district.  SV and PC have played each other in the Pike County Bowl for several years now, but now that presents a problem.  I'm pretty sure the KHSAA guidelines are that all district games have to be played in weeks 5-9, so I guess they can't play in the PCB and count it as the district matchup.  And obviously the two teams would not want to play each other twice in the same season.

There's really no way around it under this alignment.  The only way an intra-county game wouldn't create a rematch is for Phelps to play one of the three, but that still leaves the other two schools out.

Personally, I would love it if Shelby Valley and Pike Central each got to play an outside opponent in the Pike County Bowl.  I believe those two programs are at a level where they could challenge themselves with a strong matchup, perhaps a mountain school that is 4A or 5A.  How about bringing in Lawrence County to play SV one year?  Maybe Harlan County for Pike Central?
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Are Pike Central and East playing in the bowl? I know they are in the district with Valley so they can no longer play each other.
(01-24-2023, 01:03 PM)More Cowbell Wrote:
(01-24-2023, 11:21 AM)Buffs19 Wrote: Per the social media post, Shelby Valley’s 2023 schedule:

8/18 - Letcher Central
8/26 - @ Taylor County
9/1 - Martin County 
9/8 - @ Middlesboro
9/15 - Perry Central
9/22 - @ E-Town
10/6 - Pike Central
10/13 - Betsy Layne
10/20 - @ East Ridge
10/27 - @ Floyd Central

I would assume it's a casualty of the new re-alignment, where Shelby Valley, Pike Central, and East Ridge are all now in the same district.  SV and PC have played each other in the Pike County Bowl for several years now, but now that presents a problem.  I'm pretty sure the KHSAA guidelines are that all district games have to be played in weeks 5-9, so I guess they can't play in the PCB and count it as the district matchup.  And obviously the two teams would not want to play each other twice in the same season.

There's really no way around it under this alignment.  The only way an intra-county game wouldn't create a rematch is for Phelps to play one of the three, but that still leaves the other two schools out.

Personally, I would love it if Shelby Valley and Pike Central each got to play an outside opponent in the Pike County Bowl.  I believe those two programs are at a level where they could challenge themselves with a strong matchup, perhaps a mountain school that is 4A or 5A.  How about bringing in Lawrence County to play SV one year?  Maybe Harlan County for Pike Central?
This didn't stop them pre-2007 when they were all in a district. East Ridge's first game as a consolidated school was a key district game against Valley.
From what I understand they held some kind of drawing between Phelps, East Ridge, Shelby Valley & Pike Central and one of those teams we're gonna be the odd team out and Shelby Valley was that team.

Why they can't make the Pike County Bowl a 3 night event with Shelby Valley hosting Thursday Night w/East Ridge and 2 outside teams.

Belfry hosting Friday Night w/Phelps and 2 outside teams.

Pikeville hosting Saturday Night w/Pike Central and 2 outside teams.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mr. Pike Central's post:
  • BlackcatAlum, Humpty Dumpty
(01-24-2023, 03:31 PM)Real Badman Wrote: This didn't stop them pre-2007 when they were all in a district. East Ridge's first game as a consolidated school was a key district game against Valley.

I don't think the KHSAA had the rule back then where district games had to be played in weeks 5-9.  So they were able to count it as the district matchup.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]