Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlands
Highlands is good. They’ve beaten some very good out of state teams. Is this team as good as 2021 state champs???. No, but they will not go easily. They have 11 and 1 Cov Cath coming up. That will tell a lot
(01-01-2023, 04:10 PM)bo67 Wrote: Highlands is good. They’ve beaten some very good out of state teams. Is this team as good as 2021 state champs???. No, but they will not go easily. They have 11 and 1 Cov Cath coming up. That will tell a lot
I watched them play in South Oldham. From an arbitrary third party view, no they are not as good as the 2021 champs. Good team and everyone has to respect them but I don't see them making a run through several tough teams.  Again, very good team though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SocratesKy's post:
  • bo67
(01-01-2023, 04:10 PM)bo67 Wrote: Highlands is good. They’ve beaten some very good out of state teams. Is this team as good as 2021 state champs???. No, but they will not go easily. They have 11 and 1 Cov Cath coming up. That will tell a lot

I'm going to have to rain on your parade a little.

The schedule below shows the only out of state team they've played is a "home school" in Cincinnati. The rest of the schedule is pretty soft. 36th in state RPI with that schedule is not strong.

They're not big. Rely on the 3 a lot - if they're not dropping early and get behind a team that plays defense ... well they're not going to score 82+ every game.

Don't know if they can make stops on D either. Birds allow teams 6+ points above their season average - some of that may be game pacing, idk.

Cov Cath is going to be a good 15+ point loss in Park Hills. I'd gauge the Birds chances for success on how well they play Newport on Saturday. If you lose to them in District there's a good chance Highlands doesn't make it to the Region semis. 

Think they're at best ranked 4th in the 9th Region right now

Thumbnail(s)

First things first.

Tonight - Holy Cross 83 Highlands 77

Holy Cross got out of the gate on a 12-2 run. Let Holy Cross score 30 in 1Q. Birds outscored the Indians the last three Quarters, never got within four. Bad passing and turnovers led to easy buckets for HC. Defense just watching them fly by.

Holy Cross isn't in the top two in the region by a long shot. Lost to Cov Cath by 20 a month ago and by 20 to Conner last night.

Season's not over yet. Birds have a lot of work to do.
Dear Lord. Was just trying to make a point Highlands was better than the average team. I did not proclaim them World Champs. LOL Sure there’s issues. Especially will Holy Cross loss. That state championship team was the real deal. Hard to follow that. And now Newport beat them.