Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
...   That's the razor thin RPI margin that has Boyle Co. rated #2 in RPI in 4A  and  Lexington Catholic #3 .   Think about how close that is !!!    If any one of LC's opponents or any one of LC's opponents' opponents had won one more game at any point throughout the season, Catholic's RPI would have eclipsed Boyle's.

Why is this relevant????    Because , as it stands,  Lex Cath, who defeated Boyle this season to claim the #1 seed in  District 6, will likely have to travel to Boyle County in Round 3 of the playoffs.   That's what  48 one hundred thousandths (that's 48/100,000) in RPI differential can mean.  Now, personally, I think Boyle would win a second matchup with Lex Cath even if it was played in Lexington again. But you have to think the Knights chances to beat Boyle again would be better on their home turf.

Yes, every single game of the season matters when it comes to RPI and playoff positioning. EVERY. SINGLE. GAME.

Here's the likely path( assuming chalk in each round) for both teams if they want to get to Kroger Field.  I know, Hoot's gonna blow a gasket. lol

LEX CATH PATH TO KROGER :

vs. Scott
vs  Holmes
@  Boyle
vs Warren East
vs Corbin at Kroger Field

BOYLE COUNTY PATH TO KROGER :

vs Rowan County
@ Boyd County
vs Lex. Catholic
vs Warren East

Btw, the #1 RPI-rated Redhounds path is likely to be:

vs Harlan County
vs Letcher County Central
vs Johnson Central
vs Spencer County
vs Boyle/Lex Cath  at Kroger Field

Let the fun begin !!!!
[-] The following 5 users Like Old School Hound's post:
  • Bull got out!, Jack Lambert, nemo, Patriot1, smoke1015
Gotta love the RPI system! I like to consider myself a fairly intelligent person and I have no clue who some of the scoring works!

I honestly do like the idea of the RPI tho.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Scoop's post:
  • Sgt Slaughter
Central and Corbin will play in the final 4. As an avid fan you heard it here first.
Im going with Corbin / Boyle for all the marbles in 5 weeks. Thats a prediction..... In no way am I overlooking any oponents because like Hoot said, Letcher Central will have a say in round 2 for Corbin sake and then you have the dreaded round 3 game with Johnson Central again and then if we are luckily enough to escape those two or 3 games then a unknown in Spencer County who beat a very good Bullitt East team in the second week of the season..So Just to point out, at no time have I said Corbin would win the 2022 state championship...Just want to make that clear, but I remind everyone of two things I said this calendar year.........

Back in February, I said I would put Kid Elam at QB and Combs at running back.....If I was the coach for this year...

Back after the Pulaski game in week 3 I posted that I predicted down the road that I see a Corbin/Boyle championship and the KHSAA better make plans.....

So lets see in a few weeks if the second prediction happens, as anyone can, my predictions are just mainly for fun and you opponents need to lighten up a little.....I in no way am overlooking anyone....I know what has happened in the past... but dang for the fun of it, I think Corbin is the team this year that will make it to the green pastures and for the record when Hoot made the prediction that Johnson Central would be there I didn' blow a adams apple over it, I enjoy the good ribbing....Its going to be fun no matter who makes it, I said earlier this year that 2022 would be the best playoff games in 4A every because all the teams are fully capable of winning and are so close unlike the last few year where some teams were just honestly giants....

Good luck to all of you but I hope Corbin gets there! I like to see some of our boys on the big stage..
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bull got out!'s post:
  • Hound05
(10-29-2022, 03:26 PM)The Scoop Wrote: Gotta love the RPI system!  I like to consider myself a fairly intelligent person and I have no clue who some of the scoring works!

I honestly do like the idea of the RPI tho.
Personal I think it sucks big time! Opponents opponents should have nothing to do with ratings!
secondly, you can schedule up in class with teams that are usually decent, not push over programs, then a few of them have bad years and although you beat them, even running clock beat down, YOU GET PUNISHED FOR THEIR OFF YEAR!
[-] The following 1 user Likes rookie57's post:
  • Bull got out!
(10-29-2022, 03:31 PM)Waitaminute Wrote: Central and Corbin will play in the final 4. As an avid fan you heard it here first.

Actually I predicted Corbin in Week 3......But you definately are the first to say Central but I'll admit that ToWhomTheBellTrolls was the first to say Corbin would go 10-0 or 9-1 this year.... Smile
I'm dissapointed for the fact that the Lexington Catholic win in the district matchup against Boyle meant nothing........

It just as easily could have been any team this happened too...
  • rookie57
Either one more win by a LC opponent or a Lex Cath opponent opponent or one more loss by a Boyle opponent or a Boyle opponent opponent at any point during the season and the seeds would have been flipped.

Let this sink in also: The game that North Laurel had to forfeit to South Laurel ALMOST cost Boyle the #2 seed. Boyle lost a net 0.00054 to Lex Cath as a result of the forfeit. Another 0.00049 would have swung the advantage.

So, the poor decision by North Laurel to play an ineligible player in a game they had no chance of losing almost cost Boyle County a third round home playoff game.
(10-29-2022, 03:37 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Either one more win by a LC opponent or a Lex Cath opponent opponent  or one more loss by a Boyle opponent or a Boyle opponent opponent at any point during the season and the seeds would have been flipped.

Let this sink in also:  The game that North Laurel  had to forfeit to South Laurel ALMOST cost Boyle the #2 seed. Boyle lost a net 0.00054 to Lex Cath as a result of the forfeit. Another 0.00049 would have swung the advantage.

So, the poor decision by North Laurel to play an ineligible player in a game they had no chance of losing almost cost Boyle County a third round home playoff game.

Chappell must have taken some bad criticism over that because he posted on his Facebook a big apology....I like Chappell and honestly don't see how in the world that happened..
(10-29-2022, 03:31 PM)Waitaminute Wrote: Central and Corbin will play in the final 4. As an avid fan you heard it here first.

Certainly possible. I wouldn't mind a little Rehound Revenge.
(10-29-2022, 03:36 PM)Bull got out! Wrote:

Actually I predicted Corbin in Week 3......But you definately are the first to say Central but I'll admit that ToWhomTheBellTrolls was the first to say Corbin would go 10-0 or 9-1 this year.... Smile

i tried to tell you guys .. year of the hound .. got all the drama out
[-] The following 2 users Like WhomTheBellTolls's post:
  • Bull got out!, TD Hounds
(10-29-2022, 03:18 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: ...   That's the razor thin RPI margin that has Boyle Co. rated #2 in RPI in 4A  and  Lexington Catholic #3 .   Think about how close that is !!!    If any one of LC's opponents or any one of LC's opponents' opponents had won one more game at any point throughout the season, Catholic's RPI would have eclipsed Boyle's.

Why is this relevant????    Because , as it stands,  Lex Cath, who defeated Boyle this season to claim the #1 seed in  District 6, will likely have to travel to Boyle County in Round 3 of the playoffs.   That's what  48 one hundred thousandths (that's 48/100,000) in RPI differential can mean.  Now, personally, I think Boyle would win a second matchup with Lex Cath even if it was played in Lexington again. But you have to think the Knights chances to beat Boyle again would be better on their home turf.

Yes, every single game of the season matters when it comes to RPI and playoff positioning. EVERY. SINGLE. GAME.

Here's the likely path( assuming chalk in each round) for both teams if they want to get to Kroger Field.  I know, Hoot's gonna blow a gasket. lol

vs. Scott
vs  Holmes
@  Boyle
vs Warren East

vs Rowan County
@ Boyd County
vs Lex. Catholic
vs Warren East

vs Harlan County
vs Johnson Central
vs Spencer County

Let the fun begin !!!!
Nice post and sceharios. No matter what, in 4A once you hit 3rd round, HOLY COW! If your team isn't playing that Friday it's time to get to a game somewhere. Nothing is easy in that 3rd round.
[-] The following 2 users Like smoke1015's post:
  • Bull got out!, TD Hounds
The RPI sucks for the state of Kentucky. There isn’t enough quality teams in this state to schedule and teams won’t schedule good smaller schools because it’s a lose lose situation. RPI sucks
[-] The following 1 user Likes RAMDAD50's post:
  • rookie57
(10-29-2022, 04:32 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: The RPI sucks for the state of Kentucky. There isn’t enough quality teams in this state to schedule and teams won’t schedule good smaller schools because it’s a lose lose situation. RPI sucks

Can you please repeat your awnser.......Sir. Big Grin
  • RAMDAD50
(10-29-2022, 04:32 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: The RPI sucks for the state of Kentucky. There isn’t enough quality teams in this state to schedule and teams won’t schedule good smaller schools because it’s a lose lose situation. RPI sucks

If you think the RPI sucks(and it does have its flaws),  you would have hated the system that was in place in 1960. That year , Corbin finished with a perfect record, culminating in the last game of the season with the Hounds defeating mighty Louisville Manual 46-34 .  Corbin was even rated #1 in the state for part of that season.   Yet, because of the flawed Dickinson rating system(I nickname it the "Dick System"), the Redhound's didn't even qualify for postseason play.

RPI has its problems but it is nothing compared to the Dick System of 1960.
[-] The following 2 users Like Old School Hound's post:
  • BobcatForever, Bull got out!
(10-29-2022, 05:15 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:

If you think the RPI sucks(and it does have its flaws),  you would have hated the system that was in place in 1960. That year , Corbin finished with a perfect record, culminating in the last game of the season with the Hounds defeating mighty Louisville Manual 46-34 .  Corbin was even rated #1 in the state for part of that season.   Yet, because of the flawed Dickinson rating system(I nickname it the "Dick System"), the Redhound's didn't even qualify for postseason play.

That does sound bad.
The reason RPI sucks. It was decided who was better in the field. Yet, you are out at a disadvantage and playing away.
The RPI really discriminates against schools like Trinity who schedule really strong out of state schools like Moeller, Lasalle, St. X of Cincinnati, Carmel, IN. , Center Grove, IN , etc...

It' a no-win situation for them as far as RPI . If they lose it obviously affects their WP. If they win, they only get a 0.5106 to count on their OWP and their OOWP. A loss to a strong out-of-state team is devatating to Trinity's RPI in all three facets of the RPI system. Even a win over a powerful out-of-state team will, in effect, hurt them in the OWP and OOWP components.

Trinity's RPI is more 9,000 pts(0.09052) behind Williamsburg .
St. X 's RPI is nearly 1,500 points(0.01464) behind Hazard.

Wanna guess who possesses the top 3 RPI's in the state?

1. Beechwood
2. Corbin
3. Pikeville
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • rookie57
Pikeville looks like.
(10-29-2022, 03:51 PM)WhomTheBellTolls Wrote:
(10-29-2022, 03:36 PM)Bull got out! Wrote:

i tried to tell you guys .. year of the hound .. got all the drama out

I thought you where trying to play sarcastic mind games and I’m still not totally convinced….

(10-29-2022, 04:04 PM)smoke1015 Wrote:
(10-29-2022, 03:18 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: ...   That's the razor thin RPI margin that has Boyle Co. rated #2 in RPI in 4A  and  Lexington Catholic #3 .   Think about how close that is !!!    If any one of LC's opponents or any one of LC's opponents' opponents had won one more game at any point throughout the season, Catholic's RPI would have eclipsed Boyle's.

vs. Scott
vs  Holmes
@  Boyle
vs Warren East

vs Rowan County
@ Boyd County
vs Lex. Catholic
vs Warren East

vs Harlan County
vs Johnson Central
vs Spencer County

Let the fun begin !!!!
Nice post and sceharios. No matter what, in 4A once you hit 3rd round, HOLY COW! If your team isn't playing that Friday it's time to get to a game somewhere. Nothing is easy in that 3rd round.

And it shouldn’t be like this, teams with one win on the season should not be in the playoffs.  I’m not saying we should go back to the old 4 class system but 5 classes would be better than what we currently have…
[-] The following 1 user Likes TD Hounds's post:
  • Corbin
Tell me how you really feel

(10-29-2022, 05:15 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:

Still doesn’t change the fact that RPI sucks
I think if there’s no upsets in 4A, I’d rather face warren East than Logan co. W.E. schedule makes them look possibly a little better than what they are.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hound05's post:
  • Bull got out!
If you are a 2A school, do you get more points for beating a 4A school, than an opponent gets for beating a 3A school?
(10-29-2022, 03:37 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: I'm dissapointed for the fact that the Lexington Catholic win in the district matchup against Boyle meant nothing........

I’m not I’m tickled as a pig in slop!!!
[-] The following 2 users Like Jack Lambert's post:
  • Bull got out!, toolaidback
(10-29-2022, 07:08 PM)Jack Lambert Wrote:
(10-29-2022, 03:37 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: I'm dissapointed for the fact that the Lexington Catholic win in the district matchup against Boyle meant nothing........

I’m not I’m tickled as a pig in slop!!!

I completely understand!!!
  • Jack Lambert
(10-29-2022, 07:06 PM)rookie57 Wrote: If you are a 2A school, do you get more points for beating a 4A school, than an opponent gets for beating a 3A school?

Yes,  if  you are a 2A and you beat a 4A  , you get   2.011/1.521 =   1.32216 ;   a 2A  beating a 3A  gets  1.749/1.521 = 1.14990;

a  4A   beating a 2A  gets only  1.521/2.011 =  0.75634.  If a team beats someone in the same class as they are, they get  1.00000 .
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • rookie57
(10-29-2022, 10:36 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(10-29-2022, 07:06 PM)rookie57 Wrote: If you are a 2A school, do you get more points for beating a 4A school, than an opponent gets for beating a 3A school?

Yes,  if  you are a 2A and you beat a 4A  , you get   2.011/1.521 =   1.32216 ;   a 2A  beating a 3A  gets  1.749/1.521 = 1.14990;

a  4A   beating a 2A  gets only  1.521/2.011 =  0.75634.  If a team beats someone in the same class as they are, they get  1.00000 .
Thanks OSH, I’m trying to figure out if Mayfield’s win over Madisonville is enough to propel them over OC who beat 3A Elizabethtown
I don’t know who it was that said it earlier, but they were saying that OOWP shouldn’t be counted as far as RPI goes. I’m fine with it as it stands at .05% less than WP and OWP. But it definitely needs to be factored. If not, then you really can’t judge your WP right. Just say for example a team schedules Corbin. Corbin has played 10 horrible teams and sits a 10-0. You beat Corbin and you add that for your WP, and then you get to calculate theirs in the OWP.

Then you have Whitley who schedules boyle. Boyle is at 10-0 but unlike Corbin, they’ve beat trinity, st x, male, FD, etc. Whitley beats boyle and they get the same RPI numbers as the team who beat Corbin.

Now just to me, that just don’t seem right. Because teams would try to exploit that. They try on the current system. But it’s not easy. Look at Corbin last year, 10-0 and they finished 3rd. You take out OOWP, they might have been higher, probably not, because the OOWP balances the equation a little, but say they finished 1st. They schedule easy and get home the whole playoffs when boyle scheduled a tough season, lost 1 game and have to go on the road to if they drop to
3rd.
But I like it to because it balances it some. Say you scheduled a ridiculously hard schedule, say you had Trinity on there this year and teams like that. But everyone of them had a losing record, because they scheduled even harder. If your opponents who were great teams didn’t win a game, you’d have a very very low OWP. But they were tough teams. But the OOWP will make up for it some because it would be super high. Won’t count as much, but like OSH said, it can come down to the wire.
(10-29-2022, 11:19 PM)rookie57 Wrote:
(10-29-2022, 10:36 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:

Thanks OSH, I’m trying to figure out if Mayfield’s win over Madisonville is enough to propel them over OC who beat 3A Elizabethtown
I wouldn’t spend a whole lot on it. They official rating should be out tomorrow morning or early afternoon. But if you’re like me you can’t wait haha. But if you go to the KHSAA it will show the numbers for playing a different class
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hound05's post:
  • rookie57