Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KSR Top 25 +3 Rankings 10/03
[Image: https://scontent-ord5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t...e=634120B5]

KSR’s Week 7 Top 25 (+3) rankings
1. St. Xavier (5-1): Def. Ryle 37-0 – Quarterback Adam Boone ran for two touchdowns and Cooper Smith returned an interception for a score.
2. Frederick Douglass (7-0): Def. Grant County 57-0 – The Broncos lead the state in scoring offense (52.5) and scoring defense (4.8).
3. Boyle County (6-0): Bye
4. DuPont Manual (6-0): Bye
5. Christian Academy of Louisville (7-0): Def. Henry County 51-7 – Gavin Copenhaver rushed for 91 yards and three touchdowns. Cole Hodge passed for a score and rushed for another.
6. Ballard (5-1): Bye
7. Male (3-3): Lost to Roncalli (IN) 28-7 – The Bulldogs’ only score came on Kolter Smith’s 75-yard pass to Antonio Harris
8. Trinity (4-3): Def. Cincinnati (OH) St. Xavier 34-7 – Drew Allen tossed a touchdown pass and rushed for a touchdown. Elite kicker Kellan McLaughlin booted two field goals.
9. Bowling Green (6-1): Def. South Warren 28-24 – Javen Huddleston had 142 yards rushing and 119 yards receiving. He rushed for the winning touchdown with 34 seconds remaining. Deuce Bailey passed for 219 yards.
10. Woodford County (6-0): Def. West Jessamine 77-35 – Preston Stacy rushed for three touchdowns in the first half.
11. Corbin (7-0)
12. Covington Catholic (6-1)
13. Pikeville (5-2)
14. South Warren (3-3)
15. Mayfield (7-0)
16. Henderson County (6-1)
17. Lexington Catholic (5-1)
18. Pulaski County (6-1)
19. Southwestern (6-0)
20. Beechwood (5-1)
21. Union County (7-0)
22. Bardstown (7-0)
23. Scott County (5-1)
24. Paducah Tilghman (3-3)
25. Greenwood (6-1)
26. Owensboro (5-2)
27. Johnson Central (4-2)
28. Bryan Station (3-3)

https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-wildc...-rankings/
This ranking is probably the most ridiculous one that I have ever seen. The Associated Press poll does as well, if not better, and they often have people casting votes for schools in the wrong class. Trinity dominated a very good St. X (Cincinnati) team last week, and that earned them a bump of one spot from 9th to 8th? It is a pretty safe bet that either Trinity or Saint X will win the 6A state title this season and there is not much difference between those two teams. To have any other team in Kentucky ranked ahead of Trinity or Saint X based on game results and strengths of schedule is ridiculous.

I do not intend this as a slight to any team, but what team in this state would rather meet Trinity than any of the teams ranked 2 though 7? As good as Boyle County and Frederick Douglas is, I am pretty sure that Corbin, Lexington Catholic, and Johnson Central would rather play either of those teams for a state title as to play Trinity.

Years ago, Johnson Central had an indoor scrimmage with Male at UK during Michael Bush's freshman season. Male had linemen faster than JC's players who were trying to cover Bush's receivers. He threw seven straight passes for touchdowns and then went to the other end of the field to play for the varsity. Johnson Central has much better team speed and there pass coverage is much better, but I don't think that a lot of people understand the kind of athletes and depth that top 6A teams possess. Trinity has one cupcake on its schedule because they are a district opponent but those players do not get many breathers during the season. To rank them below 2nd is crazy but to rank them #8 is just plain idiotic.
[-] The following 2 users Like Hoot Gibson's post:
  • Bull got out!, Runnin' Clock
like everything that is KSR this is crap too. Week after week I see teams put running clocks on their opponent, and go down multiple spots in this poll/ranking or whatever you call this.
(10-03-2022, 06:40 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: This ranking is probably the most ridiculous one that I have ever seen. The Associated Press poll does as well, if not better, and they often have people casting votes for schools in the wrong class. Trinity dominated a very good St. X (Cincinnati) team last week, and that earned them a bump of one spot from 9th to 8th? It is a pretty safe bet that either Trinity or Saint X will win the 6A state title this season and there is not much difference between those two teams. To have any other team in Kentucky ranked ahead of Trinity or Saint X based on game results and strengths of schedule is ridiculous.

I do not intend this as a slight to any team, but what team in this state would rather meet Trinity than any of the teams ranked 2 though 7? As good as Boyle County and Frederick Douglas is, I am pretty sure that Corbin, Lexington Catholic, and Johnson Central would rather play either of those teams for a state title as to play Trinity.

Years ago, Johnson Central had an indoor scrimmage with Male at UK during Michael Bush's freshman season. Male had linemen faster than JC's players who were trying to cover Bush's receivers. He threw seven straight passes for touchdowns and then went to the other end of the field to play for the varsity. Johnson Central has much better team speed and there pass coverage is much better, but I don't think that a lot of people understand the kind of athletes and depth that top 6A teams possess. Trinity has one cupcake on its schedule because they are a district opponent but those players do not get many breathers during the season. To rank them below 2nd is crazy but to rank them #8 is just plain idiotic.

I agree on human polls as they are always subjective and I believe try to spread the love. I think some around the state have top team fatigue. Of course you could rank X and T at the top of every poll every week of the season. These two teams CONSTANTLY beat Kentucky competition except for Male. Male seems to be down a bit compared to the run they've been on for a decade but still won @ T this season. Not too many KY teams want to prepare for what Male has to offer. The BIG3 are always gonna be at the top of KY rankings. Boyle, FD, CAL all deserve to be ranked and they have to be in some kind of order. Manual and Ballard deserve to be ranked. Where you rank these teams is up to you. With 6 classes and no RPI incentive for a top 6A team to schedule Boyle or FD or CAL we will never see these matchups outside a scrimmage.
(10-04-2022, 11:06 AM)Runnin' Clock Wrote:
(10-03-2022, 06:40 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: This ranking is probably the most ridiculous one that I have ever seen. The Associated Press poll does as well, if not better, and they often have people casting votes for schools in the wrong class. Trinity dominated a very good St. X (Cincinnati) team last week, and that earned them a bump of one spot from 9th to 8th? It is a pretty safe bet that either Trinity or Saint X will win the 6A state title this season and there is not much difference between those two teams. To have any other team in Kentucky ranked ahead of Trinity or Saint X based on game results and strengths of schedule is ridiculous.

I agree on human polls as they are always subjective and I believe try to spread the love. I think some around the state have top team fatigue. Of course you could rank X and T at the top of every poll every week of the season. These two teams CONSTANTLY beat Kentucky competition except for Male. Male seems to be down a bit compared to the run they've been on for a decade but still won @ T this season. Not too many KY teams want to prepare for what Male has to offer. The BIG3 are always gonna be at the top of KY rankings. Boyle, FD, CAL all deserve to be ranked and they have to be in some kind of order. Manual and Ballard deserve to be ranked. Where you rank these teams is up to you. With 6 classes and no RPI incentive for a top 6A team to schedule Boyle or FD or CAL we will never see these matchups outside a scrimmage.
Trinity has played through some key injuries this season and if I am not mistaken, they lost to Male without their top two quarterbacks. I understand the reluctance people have to rate a team above a team that beat them but Male is 3-3, Trinity is 4-3, Trinity lost to Male by 2 points, without their starting quarterback, and Trinity has beaten two of the top teams in Indiana (CalPreps #2 and #7), and Male just lost to Roncalli (Indiana #6 team) 28-7.

St. X deserves the #1 ranking, but if playing a brutally strong schedule and winning most of those games makes a team stronger, then Trinity is the favorite to win 6A, if they survive the regular season with no serious injuries.
I get all of that. Let me rephrase: Trinity fatigue!

Trinity may end up the best team in the state but it's hard to rank a team above teams they lost to regardless of who was playing or not (this argument is tired, injuries happen especially in football) as well as teams with better records that seem to be winning in dominant fashion over decent teams. I agree X is the best overall team and they proved that beating who they played. Trinity is 0-2 against Kentucky teams! They had a dominant run but we can't EXPECT Trinity to dominate every year until the end of time, can we?

Rankings and ratings are just something for people to argue about. Trinity and Ballard will have their chance to get back at the top this week. Manual still gets X and Male to solidify their ranking, just like Male will get a chance to beat Manual and shake things up further. It's really a shame that the other teams in the poll like Boyle and FD don't play the 6A schools but RPI doesn't make it worth the trouble for the bigger class. May as well schedule across state lines and get a game. Until then we will keep getting RANKINGS like this and Massey and calpreps that RATE T higher than X
I'm sure Trinity will get out and recruit enough talent to win 6A again like always, so for those that seem so worried about where they are ranked in a meaningless poll fear not, your money will be well spent before the first weekend in December.
[-] The following 1 user Likes fridaynightfights's post:
  • Runnin' Clock
(10-05-2022, 12:32 PM)fridaynightfights Wrote: I'm sure Trinity will get out and recruit enough talent to win 6A again like always, so for those that seem so worried about where they are ranked in a meaningless poll fear not, your money will be well spent before the first weekend in December.
I'm not a Trinity fan but if somebody is going to spend time publishing a list like this, then they should make a good faith effort to get it halfway right. It is a meaningless list but it must please somebody because the guy keeps putting it out.

As for recruiting, I doubt that Trinity has to do much recruiting. When you play the type of schedule that they play, win games, and provide plenty of exposure to college scouts who tend to attend games amongst the top teams in the country, why would they need to waste time recruiting? Their program and schedule that showcases football talent does the recruiting for them - but that is just my guess.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hoot Gibson's post:
  • TheStickyBandit

I might be crazy but I seen this Henderson county team in action and they are really good might be a dark horse
64SUR ranking y’all can feel the blanks

1. St.X
2. ——-
3. ———
4.———
5. ———-
6. Frederick Douglass
7. Boyle County
8.—————-
9. —————
10.Bowling Green

That’s all folk’s Lol!!
(10-05-2022, 01:15 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:
(10-05-2022, 12:32 PM)fridaynightfights Wrote: I'm sure Trinity will get out and recruit enough talent to win 6A again like always, so for those that seem so worried about where they are ranked in a meaningless poll fear not, your money will be well spent before the first weekend in December.
I'm not a Trinity fan but if somebody is going to spend time publishing a list like this, then they should make a good faith effort to get it halfway right. It is a meaningless list but it must please somebody because the guy keeps putting it out.

As for recruiting, I doubt that Trinity has to do much recruiting. When you play the type of schedule that they play, win games, and provide plenty of exposure to college scouts who tend to attend games amongst the top teams in the country, why would they need to waste time recruiting? Their program and schedule that showcases football talent does the recruiting for them - but that is just my guess.

I'm sure all their players are paying full tuition and just decided to go to Trinity on their own.
(10-05-2022, 05:21 PM)fridaynightfights Wrote:

I'm sure all their players are paying full tuition and just decided to go to Trinity on their own.
Do you think students that don't play football at Catholic schools all pay full tuition? That is not my understanding of how Catholic schools operate. When a poor student transfers to a public school to play football in a good program, who do you think pays for their education? You do if you own property in that district. There is no such thing as a free education. Somebody pays for it. Parents of private school players pay for the education of public school students whether they send their kids to a public school or not.

Setting your apparent resentment of private school football programs aside, where would you rank Trinity?
(10-05-2022, 06:18 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:

Do you think students that don't play football at Catholic schools all pay full tuition? That is not my understanding of how Catholic schools operate. When a poor student transfers to a public school to play football in a good program, who do you think pays for their education? You do if you own property in that district. There is no such thing as a free education. Somebody pays for it. Parents of private school players pay for the education of public school students whether they send their kids to a public school or not.

Setting your apparent resentment of private school football programs aside, where would you rank Trinity?

About where they are, frankly I don't know enough about high school football in other states to try and judge, what I do know is Trinity is 0-2 against Kentucky teams so no way I could justify them higher than 3rd no matter what at this point. Not mean they can't get there but when you are winless against teams in your state hard to make a case for being super high in a state ranking.
(10-06-2022, 11:52 AM)fridaynightfights Wrote:
(10-05-2022, 06:18 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:

About where they are, frankly I don't know enough about high school football in other states to try and judge, what I do know is Trinity is 0-2 against Kentucky teams so no way I could justify them higher than 3rd no matter what at this point. Not mean they can't get there but when you are winless against teams in your state hard to make a case for being super high in a state ranking.
This is apparently something that you have in common with the man who produces these rankings. I lived in an Indianapolis suburb for about 8 years near Center Grove High School, which is one of the out-of-state teams that Trinity beat this season. They are the third-ranked 6A team in Indiana right now and Carmel, the other Indianapolis area team that Trinity beat is ranked 7th. Indiana is a strong football state and the district in which both Carmel and Center Grove compete is one of the strongest in the country. Trinity lost a close game to Male when both their first and second string quarterbacks were injured and they lost by 5 points to Saint X. I would rank them second in Kentucky because Kentucky is a relatively weak football state. Trinity is competitive with the best teams in Indiana and Ohio almost every year and those are two strong football states and it has been more than 20 years since Trinity has failed to win a state title in two consecutive seasons.