Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wheelerburg (OH) 28 Russell 21
Final.
Tj made some changes on the line and Russell really improved a lot from the 1st 2 games.
That’s a good bounce back from last week
Really proud of how well the kids played tonight. They could have just gave up after last week but they played with heart and effort tonight.
[-] The following 2 users Like GOREDDEVILS's post:
  • 16thregioner, RAMDAD50
Gutsy showing by Russell tonight. They were far better than at any point in their first 2 games so whatever line changes you mentioned must have worked. Depth continues to be a factor, though. They finally have a winnable game next week at home against a Lawrence team coming off a loss to Greenup. As we said, this season is all about building towards district play for Russell.
Devils played an inspired game against a very very good and physical Burg team. Burg scores winning touchdown with a minute left. If they play with the want to like they did tonight they will be fine the rest of the way except for Dunbar. Should be a very interesting district

The Burg is a totally different animal than Raceland. They just line up and try to run it down your throat where as raceland has skill everywhere
[-] The following 1 user Likes Runrunrun's post:
  • GOREDDEVILS
Good showing for the Devils. Burg is a very good football team
This is what I am talking about! Good performance. This is a performance that shows fight. Very good job by the coaches and players. Inspired play like this against (other than Johnson Central), the most successful football program within an hour of Russell in all directions over the past 15 years says a lot.

Going to be very important to keep moving in the right direction and not sleepwalk over anybody.
Raceland pounded Russell and while I know nothing about Wheelerburg this season I was impressed with them last season and Russell played them close...to me this says a lot about the Rams.
(09-03-2022, 03:18 AM)Humpty Dumpty Wrote: Raceland pounded Russell and while I know nothing about Wheelerburg this season I was impressed with them last season and Russell played them close...to me this says a lot about the Rams.

Wheelersburg is really good. They only lost 12-3 to Ironton,Ohio. Russell made some changes after the Raceland game and to me that was the biggest reason for the dramatic change from week 2 to week 3.
[-] The following 1 user Likes GOREDDEVILS's post:
  • Humpty Dumpty
Russell got down on themselves and pretty much quit in the 2nd half vs.Raceland as well.
(09-03-2022, 03:26 AM)GOREDDEVILS Wrote:
(09-03-2022, 03:18 AM)Humpty Dumpty Wrote: Raceland pounded Russell and while I know nothing about Wheelerburg this season I was impressed with them last season and Russell played them close...to me this says a lot about the Rams.

Wheelersburg is really good. They only lost  12-3 to Ironton,Ohio. Russell made some changes after the Raceland game and to me that was the biggest reason for the dramatic change from week 2 to week 3.

I figured they were good but don't follow out of state teams whatsoever besides Belfry but they gave Pikeville a good game, I think it was last year, and I was impressed with their program.
Wow. Russell really responded, learned, whatever the case may be, from last week. Glad to see them righting the ship a bit. This game came down to 2 possessions. Russell will be in the thick of it for the district no matter what their record is when that time rolls around.
This is the way you rebound and mature in a week. Great job by the players and the coaches. I know as a team you tend to take moral victories with a grain of salt but I think this one helps the Devils refocus and gives them a much needed boost of confidence.
Wheelersburg has won 10+ games and made an appearance in a regional championship game in seven out of the last nine years. Have only had one losing season (2000) since 1964.

The year that you all went to state, Wheelersburg went 15-0 and won the Division V State Championship (they beat West, who went 9-1 in the regular season, 41-7 that year whom Raceland was in a serious ballgame with), and went to the state semis the next year beating West by four-plus scores both times they played.

Rob Woodward and his staff are outstanding and they truly have the enthusiasm up in that area for football about as high as it's ever been over the past five-eight years. They have an outstanding freshman class who is already seeing time on the field and the expectation is that they'll be in the thick of things for years to come. If you're competing with Wheelersburg in anything, you are doing something right. They've won state titles in football, baseball x2, softball x2, and track just in the last decade and are probably in line to win at least a couple more state softball championships.
(09-03-2022, 11:24 AM)KColley Wrote: Wheelersburg has won 10+ games and made an appearance in a regional championship game in seven out of the last nine years. Have only had one losing season (2000) since 1964.

The year that you all went to state, Wheelersburg went 15-0 and won the Division V State Championship (they beat West, who went 9-1 in the regular season, 41-7 that year whom Raceland was in a serious ballgame with), and went to the state semis the next year beating West by four-plus scores both times they played.

Rob Woodward and his staff are outstanding and they truly have the enthusiasm up in that area for football about as high as it's ever been over the past five-eight years. They have an outstanding freshman class who is already seeing time on the field and the expectation is that they'll be in the thick of things for years to come. If you're competing with Wheelersburg in anything, you are doing something right. They've won state titles in football, baseball x2, softball x2, and track just in the last decade and are probably in line to win at least a couple more state softball championships.

If Wheelersburg was in Kentucky I seriously doubt they have those other championships or as many. They would be strong in Football though. It is So much harder to win state titles in Kentucky than Ohio with Kentucky not having classes for most of their sports. Wheelersburg is always pretty good at sports though.
I agree with that. It is very tough. I don't count those Burg people out though. They are tough and you have to put them entirely away.