Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most respected coaches amongst other coaches?
I know many here are around other coaches on a regular basis, "insiders", alumni, possibly a head coach and a few assistants or two...When being around your coach, or watching your coach who do you notice commands attention or gets a lot of love from fellow coaches? What I've noticed, going to many weekend coach conferences...

Johnny Hines (surprising? he's got a ship, Johnny may not be the most winning, but coaches I see always seem to like this guy. I do too)
Sam Harp (can't believe how many seem to gravitate towards coach Harp, or turn to "fans" on his social medias)
Phillip Haywood (kind of a big, duh. Everyone with a lick of sense knows this man is THE Legend of this state)
Larry French (I know many who've said it doesn't get a lot better than coach French)
Ty Scroggins (Coach may be respected more since he passed away, but he was ultra professional. We sat with his mom for at least 2 or 3 big playoff games, at their house. She was so proud of him, and rightfully so).

I think most would mention coach Mattney, but I can't recall running into him at the conferences I was at mid 2000teens to 2020. Maybe I just missed him or I was sent to listen to a D line coach, etc.. But I wish I had met him. I know he is as respected as anyone, and no one would have ever underestimated him again.
[-] The following 1 user Likes smoke1015's post:
  • Nygfan106wins
I think this starts and ends with Coach Haywood in our area of Eastern Kentucky
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
[-] The following 3 users Like Spud6's post:
  • BlackcatPride32, Bull got out!, Deuce8
(08-31-2022, 10:45 PM)Spud6 Wrote: I think this starts and ends with Coach Haywood in our area of Eastern Kentucky
He did a seminar at the Gault House, I think in 2015 (maybe early 2016). It was a packed house. Haywood is a no brainer though. I have noticed more "obscure" coaches that just seem to be approachable, more "buddies", etc..I think Haywood has an aura of almost a Godfather, or like he's not attainable (which he probably isn't in terms of winning or coaching). He's a good man, is also a vibe I got. Coach Hines had just won 5A as I recall, and had one of the fastest QB's I've ever seen.
Robbie Lucas, Justin haddix, Rash, Haywood, Dudley, scroggins
My former HS Coach Ivan McGlone, was very well respected & thought of during his coaching tenure. Sadly he passed away this past year.
He was a class act & a great coach.
(08-31-2022, 11:26 PM)Deuce8 Wrote: Robbie Lucas, Justin haddix, Rash, Haywood, Dudley, scroggins
Dudley though? I respect the hell out of him. But at least half the coaches I've talked to do not really like him that much. I do suppose they have to respect him. Lucas is a good one that I have not met and I will keep an eye/ear out.

Coach Steve Stonebraker is well liked in coaching circles, as well as the Crutchfield's brothers. They are young in coaching but I have saw they are well liked and have many friends among coaches, many much more experienced than themselves. Also, Clevenger out of Danville was really well liked, as is his replacement, Mark Peach. I've heard bad fan grumblings about Peach, but I go by what coaches say, and coaches that I know really like Coach Peach. Rash is a damn good mention too. That guy is great. What about Coach Joe Morris out of Mayfield? I don't know him at all, but I assume he has to get high praise, at least in his Class and District/Region
Haywood, Smith, Scroggins, Larkey, Haddix, Holcomb, Dud, Mac, Mattney

I see your dislike for Haddix. You make it obvious. But he was one of the best things that happened to Corbin. 9-0 against Bell. And maybe more against Casey. Losers focus on winners, winners focus on winning.

All the above are the best at their craft. And Haddix is the youngest. I won’t say he is the best. But he has time.

Also, liked and respected doesn’t always go together.

I’d bet that one of the guys above walks into your coaches conference, you feel their presence, and listen. If not, you are the one that looks like a clown.
my high school coach kenny roark besides my dad this man is the only person i would step in front of and take a bullet for sadly he is now passed away RIP coach
[-] The following 1 user Likes mr yellow jacket's post:
  • Gitback Coach
(08-31-2022, 11:26 PM)smoke1015 Wrote:
(08-31-2022, 10:45 PM)Spud6 Wrote: I think this starts and ends with Coach Haywood in our area of Eastern Kentucky
He did a seminar at the Gault House, I think in 2015 (maybe early 2016). It was a packed house. Haywood is a no brainer though. I have noticed more "obscure" coaches that just seem to be approachable, more "buddies", etc..I think Haywood has an aura of almost a Godfather, or like he's not attainable (which he probably isn't in terms of winning or coaching). He's a good man, is also a vibe I got. Coach Hines had just won 5A as I recall, and had one of the fastest QB's I've ever seen.

I’ve never been shelf-shocked around a person but I met Coach Haywood in South Williamson Walmart and I could barely get words to make sense. This was when I was a freshman in college so 19-20 year old range.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spud6's post:
  • smoke1015
The coaches that come to mind from my playing days are Haywood, Roark and Derrosset. I know I might be leaving a couple out that we played against but you knew these guys were going to have their teams ready and they would play hard for 48 minutes.

With that being said I would follow my old coach, Mike Holcomb, into battle over anyone.
[-] The following 2 users Like wolfcat's post:
  • Bull got out!, smoke1015
My top 2. Mark Dixon and Justin Haddix.

Haywood and Dudley are legends.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bulldogs4Ever's post:
  • smoke1015
Someone mentioned Coach McGlone earlier.
First of all... totally agree. He was definitely in the legends conversation and a coach other coaches seemed to love.

Secondly, I had a chance to meet him one summer with my first job out of college. The man talked to me for a solid 30+ minutes about High School Football. Was such a pleasant and likeable guy.

Along the same veins, I am going to throw Doug Charles' name in from LCA. Another guy that is genuine and humble and someone that other coaches respect.
[-] The following 2 users Like EKUAlum05's post:
  • Slic Ric, smoke1015
Coaches love Holcomb.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Iam4thecats's post:
  • wolfcat
(08-31-2022, 11:26 PM)Deuce8 Wrote: Robbie Lucas, Justin haddix, Rash, Haywood, Dudley, scroggins
Ain’t nobody likes Dudley or Haddix lol
[-] The following 2 users Like KnoxvillesFinest's post:
  • Deuce8, FCSPY
They are many great all around coaches out there but hands down HAYWOOD IS THE GOAT in my opinion, like I say many many legends out there though list is long……

Go Big Red….
(08-31-2022, 11:51 PM)HighViz Wrote: Haywood, Smith, Scroggins, Larkey, Haddix, Holcomb, Dud, Mac, Mattney

I see your dislike for Haddix. You make it obvious.    But he was one of the best things that happened to Corbin.  9-0 against Bell. And maybe more against Casey.  Losers focus on winners, winners focus on winning. 

All the above are the best at their craft. And Haddix is the youngest.  I won’t say he is the best.    But he has time.

Also, liked and respected doesn’t always go together. 

I’d bet that one of the guys above walks into your coaches conference, you feel their presence, and listen.  If not, you are the one that looks like a clown.
Because I didn't list Haddix, this is actual coaches conferences that I have been too doesn't mean I don't think he can coach. Hate? I've never met him, get a grip. This post is nothing about Haddix, other than if you list him or not. I didn't, and if that makes your neck fur stand up, ah well. . I have never saw Haddix do a seminar, or hanging out with other coaches. At this time I'm not even sure he attended these things. This is why I ASKED, who YOU thought, as I had listed mine. Good grief. So I will just take out of this, you got Haddix on your list...Good deal.

(09-01-2022, 01:41 PM)wolfcat Wrote: The coaches that come to mind from my playing days are Haywood, Roark and Derrosset. I know I might be leaving a couple out that we played against but you knew these guys were going to have their teams ready and they would play hard for 48 minutes.

With that being said I would follow my old coach, Mike Holcomb, into battle over anyone.
This is great stuff. This is why I made the thread. Even some coaches who have losing records are respected when they run a show professionally, are hospitable to away coaches and teams at their facility, and another coach sees they discipline players, and coach with heart and fire. I think that goes even further, sometimes than wins. But when you have both, like a Haywood, and Dudley, then that is where ultimate respect comes in and Legend status is born.
[-] The following 1 user Likes smoke1015's post:
  • wolfcat
(09-01-2022, 04:13 PM)KnoxvillesFinest Wrote:
Ain’t nobody likes Dudley or Haddix lol
I disagree!!!!! Haddix is one of the best coaches in Kentucky period. If a kid has the desire to play at the next level, shows up and puts the work in haddix will make it happen somewhere ,somehow !!!!!!!! Period  when it comes to putting kids first he is one of the best hands down !!!!
Joe AND Jack morris
[-] The following 2 users Like rookie57's post:
  • Slic Ric, smoke1015
Did anyone here ever meet or know Roy Kidd? I worked and had a friend who praised Coach Kidd more than about anyone I've heard be in awe of their coach. I know that man could coach and had he not went to college there is no telling what he would have done in high-school. I always wanted to meet him. This friend of mine also held Coach Powers (Archie Powers) in the highest esteem. I've heard many great things about coach Powers.
I know I’m biased when it comes to naming coaches but in my opinion Tom Larkey is one of the best to ever do it. Old school hard nosed fundamentally sound and just flat out coaches nearly everyone he coached against. Was a winner at every school he coached at even after leaving the Rock. He made Rock into the powerhouse that they was in the 90’s- early 2000’s. Left 2008 and turned Harlan county around and made them contenders before finishing up at Perry Central and even won games there too. Over 300 wins with 75 percent of them coming from Rockcastle but in my opinion he is the type of coach you just want to listen to and commends your attention when he comes into the room or speaks.
It appears this thread got off track and went from respected head coaches to successful head coaches. There is a big difference lol
[-] The following 1 user Likes irishcard16's post:
  • Mister D
(09-02-2022, 12:14 AM)smoke1015 Wrote: Did anyone here ever meet or know Roy Kidd? I worked and had a friend who praised Coach Kidd more than about anyone I've heard be in awe of their coach. I know that man could coach and had he not went to college there is no telling what he would have done in high-school. I always wanted to meet him. This friend of mine also held Coach Powers (Archie Powers) in the highest esteem. I've heard many great things about coach Powers.

I'm sure a lot of Corbinites know him  Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes pjdoug's post:
  • Bull got out!
There's Haywood at the top and the debatable list starts at #2.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Humpty Dumpty's post:
  • Westside
I agree with some of you all. I think Coach Haywood is the goat.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Westside's post:
  • Bull got out!
Surprised nobody has mentioned the names Bob Schneider or Dale Mueller.
[-] The following 2 users Like pirateforlife's post:
  • Deuce8, Westside
For me:

McGlone
Haywood
Matney
Chuke
Bill Tom Ross
Joe Cecil
McNamee
Holcomb
Leon Hart
TJ Maynard
Chester McCoy
Tony Burchett

So many…
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brutus's post:
  • waughdaddy59
(09-02-2022, 04:59 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: Surprised nobody has mentioned the names Bob Schneider or Dale Mueller.

Heywood couldn't carry Mueller's jockstrap Smile
(09-02-2022, 07:34 PM)Brutus Wrote: For me:

McGlone
Haywood
Matney
Chuke
Bill Tom Ross
Joe Cecil
McNamee
Holcomb
Leon Hart
TJ Maynard
Chester McCoy
Tony Burchett

So many…
I have to say I love Coach Burchett!!! I’d follow that man anywhere, playing for Coach Burchett was a pleasure. He was not only coach but he was very much a second father too love that man. He doesn’t have a lot of accolades but to me he’s pure gold!
[-] The following 1 user Likes waughdaddy59's post:
  • Brutus
(09-02-2022, 04:59 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: Surprised nobody has mentioned the names Bob Schneider or Dale Mueller.
Great mentions….. great coach’s
Schneider and Mueller were tremendous.

Herb Conley
Vic Marsh
Billy Goldsmith
Jake Bell
Ben Pumphrey
Walter Brugh
Hillard Howard

Like I said… so many!