Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell drops Ashland from Schedule
I still say this has happened a lot. The only difference is a dad didn’t record the phone call!!!!!!
(09-13-2022, 11:02 PM)Ky1976 Wrote: I still say this has happened a lot. The only difference is a dad didn’t record the phone call!!!!!!
Agree.
What is conveniently left out of all the naysayers rants is the parent made the call to Ashland’s coach that initiated this whole ordeal in the first place. 
I want to emphasize as well that when it comes to transfers Ashland boys basketball pales in comparison to many schools. The Tomcats have had 5 transfers into their program in the 5 years Mays has been there. That’s an average of one per year, probably below average for most programs. Not exactly “blatant cheating….,words that have been thrown around quite a bit in some of these post. Heck, GRC, a school the parent is said to also have been interested in transferring his son, won a state title last year with a roster full of transfers. Sacred Heart won the girls state championship with the best 8th grader that has ever come out of Shelby County. Transfers happen. And by far the majority of them are parents looking for a better school or a better athletic opportunity for their child and they are not enticed by any individual. Some programs simply recruit themselves by their successes in the classroom and in athletics.
It doesn't matter who initiated the call. Cheating is cheating.
(09-14-2022, 11:31 AM)jamesclay Wrote: It doesn't matter who initiated the call. Cheating is cheating.

So then you agree, if Ashland is punished, Boyd should be punished too.
I don’t think anything is going to come of it. Regardless of my opinion about what should happen, it is what it is. Mays is back to tweeting about preparing for the upcoming season along with some philosophical quotes. In the end, the parent who recorded the call looks like an idiot. It looks like it’s up to his boy to see if he can get the job done on the court this year against the Tomcats. Must see games.
(09-14-2022, 01:03 PM)plantmanky Wrote:
(09-14-2022, 11:31 AM)jamesclay Wrote: It doesn't matter who initiated the call. Cheating is cheating.

I must be missing something. What should Boyd be punished for?

Huh, "Boyd" didn't make the phone call a parent did. A parent that was definitely not representing the school since he was obviously trying to shop his kid out of the Boyd County School System. Wouldn't make sense to punish the school.
(09-14-2022, 01:45 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:

An athletic coach or any other member of the school staff or team member (including parents and boosters) shall not influence a student even if the student, his or her parents or any intermediary from another school, makes the initial contact

(09-14-2022, 01:47 PM)i82much Wrote:

Huh, "Boyd" didn't make the phone call a parent did. A parent that was definitely not representing the school since he was obviously trying to shop his kid out of the Boyd County School System. Wouldn't make sense to punish the school.

An athletic coach or any other member of the school staff or team member (including parents and boosters) shall not influence a student even if the student, his or her parents or any intermediary from another school, makes the initial contact

I will answer this for jamesclay,  NO!!!!!!!!!  ?

(09-14-2022, 01:42 PM)16thregioner Wrote: I don’t think anything is going to come of it.  Regardless of my opinion about what should happen, it is what it is.  Mays is back to tweeting about preparing for the upcoming season along with some philosophical quotes.  In the end, the parent who recorded the call looks like an idiot.  It looks like it’s up to his boy to see if he can get the job done on the court this year against the Tomcats.  Must see games.
Agree,  I would sure hate to be the son.   I’ll keep saying this till the end the problem with middle and high school sports are parents.  Plain and simple.  But hey I seen back in the summer that D&D out of Pikeville area says he is the best player since OJ.  Even bigger shoes to fill for this kid.  Lol

(09-14-2022, 01:47 PM)I’m i82much Wrote:

You bet that AD/girls coach Pete Fraley wants this to go away!!!!
(09-14-2022, 03:43 PM)plantmanky Wrote:

I'll say this gently; "I think you're a bit confused", read my comment and the bylaw you quoted again and then think about it.  Okay, let me help you out, this bylaw (or whatever it is) would apply to an Ashland parent influencing a Boyd student or vice versa. Anyway, I'm done with this topic, I've never attended a Boyd County game unless one of mine was playing and here I am defending them on a post that has nothing to do with the original thread. I think I did this yesterday and got chastised by Ramdad. LOL
(09-14-2022, 03:43 PM)plantmanky Wrote:

What you are suggesting would be analogous to charging victims of a bank heist with a crime for participating in a robbery. If Ashland's recruitment effort had been successful, then Boyd County would have been the injured party, not an accessory to the heist.
Russell has taken the stand on a few things. They were the only school district not to allow kids to use the COVID year (HOLD BACK). They have also taken a stand like Lewis and West Carter not to play Ashland in basketball and Raceland in football for the RECRUITING. Not transfers. I do applaud that they are doing something rather then nothing like most schools. KHSAA will make an example out of Ashland due to the overwhelming evidence with the audio and hearing the coach just explain how he does it and who he has chased. That is unprecedented in the history of the Association.
I guess this is a trend for Russell.

I didn't realize they haven't played Boyd since 2019 in baseball. Boyd took Russell's leading hitter in 2019. Boyd also just took their leading hitter and pitcher in 2022, though, so I guess not scheduling them didn't work.

Raceland has taken Russell's football players for years. I don't know why this recent haul would have caused them to shut down the series?

Ashland has never taken a Russell basketball player that I know of, although I guess Mays tried to get last year's player of the year. Ironically, Boyd took the point guard that would been playing with that said player of the year when he was a freshman...and now he's left Boyd for Ashland. I'm not sure how Russell allowed Boyd to remain on their basketball schedule after they took that player a few years ago? Doesn't follow the logic.

Bottom line for Russell is...get better coaches for the boys sports programs and you won't have to worry about who's on the schedule. Look to Mandy Layne as an example. She weathered the storm of Boyd's girls basketball West Virginia transfers for years and finally has gotten her "homegrown" program to the point where she beats the crap out of Pete Fraley most times they meet.

(09-14-2022, 03:49 PM)Ky1976 Wrote: I seen back in the summer that D&D out of Pikeville area says he is the best player since OJ.  Even bigger shoes to fill for this kid.

This is one of the problems with sports coverage in our area.  The coverage in our area between the Daily Independent, My Town TV, Kool Hits Sports, Twitter accounts covering 16th Region sports, D&D, and even these message boards is OUTSTANDING as far as getting kids notoriety and making games more interesting.  However, it also inflates the talents and abilities of players.  Even a mundane midweek volleyball game can be found being broadcast on the internet and get a full write-up in the newspaper with player names in the headlines.

Did D&D ever see OJ Mayo play?  He averaged 23 a game as a 7th grader and 27 a game as an 8th grader.  Won the 16th region as an 8th grader and was 1st team all-state.  16th region competition was a joke for him.  They're honestly comparing a freshman whose dad is worried about what talent another team here in eastern Kentucky might be accumulating to an NBA player?  I don't think OJ or any of his handlers cared who was playing for Ashland.  What a farce.

How many players from our area in the last decade went to play sports in college and actually played the full 4 years?  Not many.  How many were hyped up to be surefire college players?  A ton.  I'm all for dreaming big and I guess all positives come with negatives in life, but parents and players from our area need a serious reality check.
(09-21-2022, 11:51 AM)16thregioner Wrote: I guess this is a trend for Russell. 

I didn't realize they haven't played Boyd since 2019 in baseball.  Boyd took Russell's leading hitter in 2019.  Boyd also just took their leading hitter and pitcher in 2022, though, so I guess not scheduling them didn't work.

Raceland has taken Russell's football players for years.  I don't know why this recent haul would have caused them to shut down the series?

Ashland has never taken a Russell basketball player that I know of, although I guess Mays tried to get last year's player of the year.  Ironically, Boyd took the point guard that would been playing with that said player of the year when he was a freshman...and now he's left Boyd for Ashland.  I'm not sure how Russell allowed Boyd to remain on their basketball schedule after they took that player a few years ago?  Doesn't follow the logic.

Bottom line for Russell is...get better coaches for the boys sports programs and you won't have to worry about who's on the schedule.  Look to Mandy Layne as an example.  She weathered the storm of Boyd's girls basketball West Virginia transfers for years and finally has gotten her "homegrown" program to the point where she beats the crap out of Pete Fraley most times they meet.

(09-14-2022, 03:49 PM)Ky1976 Wrote: I seen back in the summer that D&D out of Pikeville area says he is the best player since OJ.  Even bigger shoes to fill for this kid.

This is one of the problems with sports coverage in our area.  The coverage in our area between the Daily Independent, My Town TV, Kool Hits Sports, Twitter accounts covering 16th Region sports, D&D, and even these message boards is OUTSTANDING as far as getting kids notoriety and making games more interesting.  However, it also inflates the talents and abilities of players.  Even a mundane midweek volleyball game can be found being broadcast on the internet and get a full write-up in the newspaper with player names in the headlines.

Did D&D ever see OJ Mayo play?  He averaged 23 a game as a 7th grader and 27 a game as an 8th grader.  Won the 16th region as an 8th grader and was 1st team all-state.  16th region competition was a joke for him.  They're honestly comparing a freshman whose dad is worried about what talent another team here in eastern Kentucky might be accumulating to an NBA player?  I don't think OJ or any of his handlers cared who was playing for Ashland.  What a farce.

How many players from our area in the last decade went to play sports in college and actually played the full 4 years?  Not many.  How many were hyped up to be surefire college players?  A ton.  I'm all for dreaming big and I guess all positives come with negatives in life, but parents and players from our area need a serious reality check.
Haha agree
(09-21-2022, 11:51 AM)16thregioner Wrote: I guess this is a trend for Russell. 

I didn't realize they haven't played Boyd since 2019 in baseball.  Boyd took Russell's leading hitter in 2019.  Boyd also just took their leading hitter and pitcher in 2022, though, so I guess not scheduling them didn't work.

Raceland has taken Russell's football players for years.  I don't know why this recent haul would have caused them to shut down the series?

Ashland has never taken a Russell basketball player that I know of, although I guess Mays tried to get last year's player of the year.  Ironically, Boyd took the point guard that would been playing with that said player of the year when he was a freshman...and now he's left Boyd for Ashland.  I'm not sure how Russell allowed Boyd to remain on their basketball schedule after they took that player a few years ago?  Doesn't follow the logic.

Bottom line for Russell is...get better coaches for the boys sports programs and you won't have to worry about who's on the schedule.  Look to Mandy Layne as an example.  She weathered the storm of Boyd's girls basketball West Virginia transfers for years and finally has gotten her "homegrown" program to the point where she beats the crap out of Pete Fraley most times they meet.

If the current Ashland coach would have been the coach at Ashland then. He would have made the same phone call to OJ’s people. Instead the only phone call that was made was to the KHSAA when we (Ashland) report Rose hill of recruiting when OJ, Bill, and Dawson kid were there. Fast forward to now. We look like a bunch of hypocritical idiots because of our coach.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 16thregionballer's post:
  • 16thregioner
(09-21-2022, 07:14 PM)16thregionballer Wrote: If the current Ashland coach would have been the coach at Ashland then. He would have made the same phone call to OJ’s people. Instead the only phone call that was made was to the KHSAA when we (Ashland) report Rose hill of recruiting when OJ, Bill, and Dawson kid were there. Fast forward to now. We look like a bunch of hypocritical idiots because of our coach.

I agree with you.  Mays would have been all over OJ Mayo.  He would have even placed the call himself. A player like that might have even merited some financial benefits.
Thank you. I am glad somebody admitted it. I really don’t have a problem with Ashland recruiting, I have a problem with Ashland turning in a school — schools, actually, because they also turned in Fairview’s football program — when they themselves recruit just as much if not more so.

It’s just blatant hypocrisy and the definition of throwing stones when one lives in a glass house.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KColley's post:
  • Hoot Gibson
(09-21-2022, 08:19 PM)KColley Wrote: Thank you. I am glad somebody admitted it. I really don’t have a problem with Ashland recruiting, I have a problem with Ashland turning in a school — schools, actually, because they also turned in Fairview’s football program — when they themselves recruit just as much if not more so.

It’s just blatant hypocrisy and the definition of throwing stones when one lives in a glass house.
I totally agree with you. We are embarrassed of the actions of the coach. We look like the biggest hypocrites right now. Our administration should have handled him quickly.  Not come out to the paper saying.  We reported us cheating. He is our guy!!!  Knowing we report other schools. None recorded on audio with such damaging comments of our own players and red handed recruiting players