Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals vs. Steelers
Hard to believe that with all the Bengals and Steelers fans on BGR that there's not a game thread on here, what with kickoff less than 48 hours away! Wonder if it's because the Bengals have played so crappy so far this year that everyone just assumes Pittsburgh will win?

Anyway, I think that although the road teams have dominated this series in recent years, the game being at Paul Brown will help the Bengals. Cincy plays much better at home than on the road.

That said, the Bengals still have way too many problems on the injury front to win this game unless the Steelers just don't show up. Big Willie Anderson is out this week, as well as starting MLB Ahmad Brooks and backup LB Caleb Miller. Rudi Johnson is doubtful with a hamstring injury.

The Bengals have been able to beat the Steelers in the past when Roethslisberger has tried to win the game himself by throwing it 40 times, so I expect Cincy to see a steady diet of Willie Parker. On the other side, hopefully Kenny Watson can have another big game for the Bengals in relief of Rudi.

Bengals keep it close, but not close enough: Sad

Steelers - 34
Bengals - 24
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I dont assume Pittsburgh will win. They are so inconsistent Im afraid to pick them..Theyve played their best game, sandwiched between two of the worst games theyve played in five years. However, if they run run run the ball, Cincy will wear down eventually. Hopefully the Denver catastrophe taught them that you dont throw the ball 9 more times than you run it...I say they get back on track, open up some breathing room, run the football 40 times, and pound out a 24-13 win..
TidesHoss32 Wrote:I dont assume Pittsburgh will win. They are so inconsistent Im afraid to pick them..Theyve played their best game, sandwiched between two of the worst games theyve played in five years. However, if they run run run the ball, Cincy will wear down eventually. Hopefully the Denver catastrophe taught them that you dont throw the ball 9 more times than you run it...I say they get back on track, open up some breathing room, run the football 40 times, and pound out a 24-13 win..

If they do that, I think Cincy has very little chance to win. The Bengals linebacking corps has been decimated by injuries, and you are exactly right they will likely wear down in the second half.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:If they do that, I think Cincy has very little chance to win. The Bengals linebacking corps has been decimated by injuries, and you are exactly right they will likely wear down in the second half.
if the playcalling is like it was in the Denver game, then Cincy will win...they HAVE to run the ball in this game..theres no reason not too..
The Bengals injuries, as everyone has pointed out, are what worry me, especially Willie's.

Even with those injuries, I think Watson's emergence as a solid back will be able to spread out a Steelers defense that's usually focused on just overpowering teams. They do have a lot of sacks, but hopefully we'll be able to just run the ball wide on them, get off a lot of short drops, get a few stops on defense, and outscore them.
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
BFritz Wrote:Even with those injuries, I think Watson's emergence as a solid back will be able to spread out a Steelers defense that's usually focused on just overpowering teams. They do have a lot of sacks, but hopefully we'll be able to just run the ball wide on them, get off a lot of short drops, get a few stops on defense, and outscore them.

I think if we as Bengals fans are counting on Kenny Watson to be the difference in this game, our team is in big trouble. This isn't the Jets' defense he'll be seeing this week, and losing Big Willie will really hurt the run game. Really sucks that he has to miss this one, of all weeks.

What I hope is that Watson can run well enough to keep the Steelers "D" honest. Pittsburgh's secondary should be vulnerable to a downfield attack, and that's how the Bengals have had success against them in the past. Problem is, they won't be able to do much if they're on the sideline the whole game while Willie Parker keeps picking up 5-6 yards a pop and moving the chains.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
If you look back.....the Steelers hardly ever play bad 2 weeks in a row. But I thought the Steelers played pretty well in the second half vs Denver. They just put themselves in such a hole early, they couldn't climb out.

The Bengals cannot afford to get down big in this game like they did vs the Jets. I think they need to sellout on the run and make Big Ben beat them, which he is capable of doing. But he's also capable of making some mistakes which he has shown in the past. Our best chance of winning is to keep it close for 3 quarters and give Carson a chance to win it for us in the 4th. So regardless what the defense does, we have to have our o-line play well to win. I think Chad and TJ present some match up problems for the Steelers on the outside. But Carson has to have time to get it to them. This has been a series dominated by the road team. That trend has to change sometime.....might as well start Tomorrow.

Bengals 31
Steelers 27
Another big key to this game will be each team's ability to convert on third downs. The Bengals have been pathetic on third down on both sides of the ball this year, a stat that has to change for them to have any prayer to win.

The defense will be crucial to the Bengals tomorrow. As I said earlier, Carson won't have a chance to exploit the Steelers' secondary if he's on the sideline all game. Cincy has got to find a way to stop Willie Parker from picking up 5-6 yards a pop.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
If this defense melts down we won't have to worry about 5-6 yard pops. It will be a couple of 5-6 yard pops and a 50 yard burst. The defense has to help keep us in the game but in the end our offense has to win it for us. If the Steelers shut down our offense, we're dead. If our offense is clicking we're in it no matter what. I've learned to keep my expectations very low for this defense, injuries or not. I think it's funny sometimes watching our D. They will allow someone to convert a 3rd and 18. Then if they hold them to a 1 yard gain on 1st down, they jump up flexing their muscles to the crowd and a couple of plays later......touchdown. I know we have had a lot of injuries at LB and new players often miss an assignment or hit the wrong gap, but theres no excuse for poor tackling. Tackling is attitude and desire. Just like rebounding in basketball, its whoever imposes their will at the time. Like in baseball when a shortstop lets the ball play them instead of attacking it. You can improve your defense by leaps and bounds just by tackling better. Regardless of whos on the field.
More Cowbell Wrote:I think if we as Bengals fans are counting on Kenny Watson to be the difference in this game, our team is in big trouble. This isn't the Jets' defense he'll be seeing this week, and losing Big Willie will really hurt the run game. Really sucks that he has to miss this one, of all weeks.

What I hope is that Watson can run well enough to keep the Steelers "D" honest. Pittsburgh's secondary should be vulnerable to a downfield attack, and that's how the Bengals have had success against them in the past. Problem is, they won't be able to do much if they're on the sideline the whole game while Willie Parker keeps picking up 5-6 yards a pop and moving the chains.

I'm not counting on Watson to win the game for us, but maybe it came off that way.

What I meant was that a more versatile Watson will help keep the Steelers D on their toes, and not just rely on their power to control us. With Watson being more versatile, he can come out of the backfield, run wide, and do things that doesn't allow the defense to just come at us the same way everytime bringing the house and just hoping their line can get to Carson before our receivers can get open on a solid Steelers seccondary. With Rudi, it was usually turn and hand him the ball coming right up the middle, sometimes off-tackle, but with the Steelers defense being so strong, he wouldn't be able to do much.

Maybe it does sound like I'm counting on Watson to win the game for us, but I just mean that his abilities and style of play will allow the Bengals to play in a style that plays more to their advantage.
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
More Cowbell Wrote:I think if we as Bengals fans are counting on Kenny Watson to be the difference in this game, our team is in big trouble. This isn't the Jets' defense he'll be seeing this week, and losing Big Willie will really hurt the run game. Really sucks that he has to miss this one, of all weeks.

Check this out from Bengals.com:
Quote:Conventional wisdom is that power backs like Rudi don't have as much success against the Steelers as do cutback runners, which is something Watson and Dorsey can do.

Exactly like I've been saying (not rubbing it in or anything, just pointing out that Watson and Dorsey *I didn't say anything about Dorsey, I admit that* can have success against the Steelers and it could be a big part of our gameplan). They also further smashed the talk of Chad being traded.
I can't remember the last time Cincy covered a tight end & Big Ben loves throwing to his. Heath Miller has 2 TD catches & the Steelers win 38-24.
If you are a Steelers fan, I would not feel so good about this game! Cincy has played so bad all year, that they could not have faced the Steelers at a better time to get this season in an upswing from here on out! I am picking the Bengals 31-17.
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:If you are a Steelers fan, I would not feel so good about this game! Cincy has played so bad all year, that they could not have faced the Steelers at a better time to get this season in an upswing from here on out! I am picking the Bengals 31-17.
Rolleyes sell out..
You can't be a sellout if you never had the ticket pal! GO SKINS!
Bengals-20
Steelers-13
TH32 nailed the score for the SECOND straight year! Unreal, lol!! Good Win Steelers!
Nice call Hoss.
Bengal Cat Wrote:Nice call Hoss.
thanks bro...your right though, Marv coached scared..and in that situation, you gotta lay it on the line..