Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15th region tourney back to local schools?
I think it’s finally time for the regional tourney to be taken out of pike county and back into the local communities. Year after year all the small towns are losing revenue that their communities could use and pikeville benefits. Not to mention it’s always home court advantage for pike co schools.
The only true benefit I see in having the tournament at the Expo is the court size and open environment. It may not seem like a big difference but the bigger court can take some getting used to. Playing on the same size court that is used for the sweet 16 in region gives a little more preparation. I would still love to see games played at the schools tho.
Can you imagine how miserable it would be trying to squeeze all those people into high school gyms? I can and wouldn’t attend.
Then can you imagine if the people playing before you would want to actually stay and watch another game? Or would you want everyone to have to be ushered out and then refile everyone back in?
No thanks! Keep it at the Expo. It’s nice being able to not have to sit in your neighbors lap. Now do I think it would be more centrally located if there were a big arena in say Pburg or maybe BL area? Yes and I would still attend. Yes in theory it sounds great for the so called atmosphere of a smaller gym but personally the aggravation of it all would not be worth it.
[-] The following 3 users Like Micro-Brew's post:
  • BoondockSaint, jetpilot, Panther Thunder
The Expo Center has been hosting the 15th region tourney since 2006 and from what I've always been told, the kids love going there and playing. It might be rough on some schools supporters to make the trip a few times a week, but at the end of the day, it's the most accommodating venue for the tourney.

I think there's a much better argument to be made for the All A to return to high school gyms than the region tourney.
[-] The following 2 users Like BlackcatAlum's post:
  • jetpilot, Panther Thunder
I agree with the op. Not mentioning the court size is 10 foot bigger on a college court. That will hurt your smaller schools in the 4th quarter if they don’t have as many subs. Some of my best memories was watching the regional tournaments in a packed gyms elbow to elbow. Makes for a better atmosphere also in my opinion.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mountainparkway's post:
  • Card2000
(03-06-2022, 01:47 AM)Mountainparkway Wrote: I agree with the op. Not mentioning the court size is 10 foot bigger on a college court. That will hurt your smaller schools in the 4th quarter if they don’t have as many subs. Some of my best memories was watching the regional tournaments in a packed gyms elbow to elbow. Makes for a better atmosphere also in my opinion.

The Expo Center produces great environments too. I've watched almost every girls and boys regional tournament game on WPRG and outside of the blow outs, the close games have produced some pretty rowdy environments. Plus, it looked like there was a ton of people there tonight for the girls finals and the boys semi finals.

Some of the best high school games I've seen and environments I've been apart of was at the Expo Center back in 2008 between SV/Paintsville and in 2010 between Betsy Layne/SV. The place was nearly sold out and was very loud.
I like having the games at the Expo. I don't really think it gives an advantage to Pike County schools.
The field house at Pburg would be my pick. Moderate seating. Located in the center of the region. Not to mention would be a neutral site giving the current state of the Prestonsburg basketball program.
It takes a majority vote to change it and there are 8 of the 16 school in Pike county so don’t see it happening lol.
If schools in Floyd, Magoffin, Johnson, Lawrence and Martin counties schools want to make a statement just send their JV or freshman teams to play the tournament. I’m not sure if there is any rule that says which players or coaches must attend the regional games. Just say chuck it. I think the school would get same amount of money.
(03-06-2022, 02:42 PM)Ky0202 Wrote: The field house at Pburg would be my pick. Moderate seating. Located in the center of the region. Not to mention would be a neutral site giving the current state of the Prestonsburg basketball program.
The last sentence made me laugh
This post is from a sore Betsy layne fan. Team showed no class with losing and the tournament will never return to these small gyms. Dream on. Take a class in sportsmanship. Pike central whopped those bobcats butts
Screw those other counties!!! Bring the money to Pikeville!
James Clay I think that’s what they do to the other counties now, however everyone has their own opinion and that’s what makes America great
Nah. I just think they need to do something about the prices.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH