Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
52nd District Draw
2nd seed Bell County will play 3rd seed Harlan County. One very good team will not advance to the 13th region tournament.
Crazy, just crazy that three of the top 5 teams in the region have to beat eachother out first game. Also, the draw or whatever the tie breaker was is ridiculous. Should be a point system or something more than chance. All three of these teams are capable of making the region finals, but ones out in the first round. Hardest and most competitive district in the region every year and not even close. Cant wait to see lynn camp or barbourville at the corbin arena and not HC or Bell…
I think the 52nd is the only district to do a blind draw. It is ridiculous. I’m pretty sure most other districts across the state do margin of victory head to head, or regional record, or something more concrete to determine a tie breaker. If that were the case, HC would’ve been the one, Bell the two and Harlan Ind the three. Basically, the two best teams in the district all year are having to play in an elimination game. It is what it is, I guess.
I’m pretty sure JC and Paintsvilles district also does a blind draw.
(02-15-2022, 05:15 PM)FootballFan1999 Wrote: I’m pretty sure JC and Paintsvilles district also does a blind draw.

I think they seed. This year they had a three way tie and went to a coin flip if I'm not mistaken. Hazard and Perry's district does a blind draw.
If I'm not mistaken, I think the 52nd district ended in a 3 way tie for first and that is why they drew for seeding. If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jamesdeane's post:
  • FootballFan1999
I think the draw is ridiculous!
(02-15-2022, 05:45 PM)jamesdeane Wrote: If I'm not mistaken, I think the 52nd district ended in a 3 way tie for first and that is why they drew for seeding. If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.
It’s correct yes they tied for first, but why draw straws or whatever when you can go by a metric. Any factual basketball metric would put either bell or harlan county in first. Margin of victory, regional record, RPI, etc. Ridiculous that these two teams have to go head to head when they both could be playing in the regional semis or finals.
(02-15-2022, 08:48 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote:
(02-15-2022, 05:45 PM)jamesdeane Wrote: If I'm not mistaken, I think the 52nd district ended in a 3 way tie for first and that is why they drew for seeding. If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.
It’s correct yes they tied for first, but why draw straws or whatever when you can go by a metric. Any factual basketball metric would put either

bell or harlan county in first. Margin of victory, regional record, RPI, etc. Ridiculous that these two teams have to go head to head when they both could be playing in the regional semis or finals.
Actually that is incorrect. Bell’s RPI is .002 better than Harlan and Harlan County’s RPI is .0117 worse than Harlan’s and Harlan’s regional record is better than Harlan County.
[-] The following 1 user Likes hitemup's post:
  • Wildcats94
(02-15-2022, 10:43 PM)hitemup Wrote:
It’s correct yes they tied for first, but why draw straws or whatever when you can go by a metric. Any factual basketball metric would put either

bell or harlan county in first. Margin of victory, regional record, RPI, etc. Ridiculous that these two teams have to go head to head when they both could be playing in the regional semis or finals.
Actually that is incorrect. Bell’s RPI is .002 better than Harlan and Harlan County’s RPI is .0117 worse than Harlan’s and Harlan’s regional record is better than Harlan County.
Thank you for proving my point that HARLAN doesn’t deserve to play middlesboro and Bell should due to RPI and region record, and HC would be first if by margin of victory. Harlan has no metric to put them in first place and get the easy draw other than luck of drawing the short straw.
(02-15-2022, 11:05 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote:

Thank you for proving my point that HARLAN doesn’t deserve to play middlesboro and Bell should due to RPI and region record, and HC would be first if by margin of victory. Harlan has no metric to put them in first place and get the easy draw other than luck of drawing the short straw.
How does that prove your point that HC has a worse RPI and regional record than Harlan? In two of the three metrics you provided Harlan is better. Not sure about margin of victory. HC’s is likely better.
(02-15-2022, 11:34 PM)hitemup Wrote:
(02-15-2022, 11:05 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote:

How does that prove your point that HC has a worse RPI and regional record than Harlan? In two of the three metrics you provided Harlan is better. Not sure about margin of victory. HC’s is likely better.
two metrics Better than HC, but not better than Bell, so still not #1. 2 and 3 seeds are the same. My point is harlan gets the easy ride when no evidence points towards it.
blind draw is stupid but it is what it is .. looking forward to winning the district and making noise in the region
None of the 3 lost on their home court during district is play. That would seem to give a slight advantage to Bell. Should be some very competitive games.
The last couple weeks Bell and HC have began to stumble a little. Bells last two games were a loss to Rock and a way to close game at Jackson last night, then the HC win drought. Whoever can get back on track and get in rhythm can pull it off. Hope Bell can start making some shots again.
(02-16-2022, 12:43 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: The last couple weeks Bell and HC have began to stumble a little. Bells last two games were a loss to Rock and a way to close game at Jackson last night, then the HC win drought. Whoever can get back on track and get in rhythm can pull it off. Hope Bell can start making some shots again.

Jackson County is a hard trip on a weekday, I wouldn't worry a lot about that. Rockcastle isn't a great team but 13th region teams also don't always get a good shake when they go to the 12th. Bell needs to play better there is no doubt, but they have a great shot next week. 

On a side not I was told 25 wins in a single season is the record at Bell County and this team will have a shot at it before all is said and done.
(02-16-2022, 01:48 PM)fridaynightfights Wrote:
(02-16-2022, 12:43 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: The last couple weeks Bell and HC have began to stumble a little. Bells last two games were a loss to Rock and a way to close game at Jackson last night, then the HC win drought. Whoever can get back on track and get in rhythm can pull it off. Hope Bell can start making some shots again.

Jackson County is a hard trip on a weekday, I wouldn't worry a lot about that. Rockcastle isn't a great team but 13th region teams also don't always get a good shake when they go to the 12th. Bell needs to play better there is no doubt, but they have a great shot next week. 

On a side not I was told 25 wins in a single season is the record at Bell County and this team will have a shot at it before all is said and done.
21 now, one more regular season, then win district and one region game we got 25!! Very possible!
Bell had a starter out against Rock and he’s not back to full strength yet. Jackson Co wasn’t as close as the final score shows. Bell held a double digit lead most of the 2nd half. 3 pointer as time expired for Jackson Co. Bell will be fine.
It should be a great district tournament. The Bell Harlan County game will be a very competitive game. Barring a major shock whoever wins that game will have a great team waiting for them with Harlan City.
I can’t wait for district. I hope I can make it to all the games. I’m curious how everyone thinks it will play out. Bell at Bell will be tough no doubt
(02-17-2022, 10:28 PM)momentoftruth Wrote: I can’t wait for district. I hope I can make it to all the games. I’m curious how everyone thinks it will play out. Bell at Bell will be tough no doubt

I'd give Bell a slight edge hosting it, but that said I wouldn't bet the farm on any of the top 3 winning it right now as it's the closest thing to a true tossup as you can have. Either way will be exciting basketball.
(02-18-2022, 11:20 AM)fridaynightfights Wrote:
(02-17-2022, 10:28 PM)momentoftruth Wrote: I can’t wait for district. I hope I can make it to all the games. I’m curious how everyone thinks it will play out. Bell at Bell will be tough no doubt

I'd give Bell a slight edge hosting it, but that said I wouldn't bet the farm on any of the top 3 winning it right now as it's the closest thing to a true tossup as you can have. Either way will be exciting basketball.
Does anyone know if the Bell HC game is the second game on tuesday or first?
(02-18-2022, 01:25 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote:
(02-18-2022, 11:20 AM)fridaynightfights Wrote:

Does anyone know if the Bell HC game is the second game on tuesday or first?

It's the 2nd game suppose to have tip times of 6:00p.m. and 7:30. But we all know the 2nd game never starts on time.
will be some good games to see
Will the gym be cleared following game 1? Hearing there’s a massive crowd coming tomorrow for game 2 that should maybe fill up the place.
(02-22-2022, 12:43 AM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: Will the gym be cleared following game 1? Hearing there’s a massive crowd coming tomorrow for game 2 that should maybe fill up the place.

Was told the bottom folks from schools in game 1 will be asked to move up top, but if you wanting a seat I wouldn't chance it. I'd get there early.
Josh Maxey has a master plan.
(02-22-2022, 10:18 AM)fridaynightfights Wrote:
(02-22-2022, 12:43 AM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: Will the gym be cleared following game 1? Hearing there’s a massive crowd coming tomorrow for game 2 that should maybe fill up the place.

Was told the bottom folks from schools in game 1 will be asked to move up top, but if you wanting a seat I wouldn't chance it. I'd get there early.
Yeah i don’t think many people are gonna get up and move. From what I’ve heard you might gotta get up there at 5:45 for the game to start two hours later.
There’s no question now, the draw had far bigger implications than we could imagine. Harlan up 40 at the half and has the region bid for sure. Then there’s a top 5 matchup that is expected to be a classic right after where a team that could go to the region finals are beat out in the first round. Still no metric says Harlan should’ve got the easy round but whatever i guess…
Can someone post a picture of the gym when it’s full