Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lawrence County @ Belfry 11/12
Dawgs at the Pirates for the district championship.  Who ya got and why?
Belfry. This game is played week 2 LC would have won. But we saw the midseason match up. This one is much of the same.
Belfry 35
Lawrence County 14
Best Lawrence County team ever. Should be a tossup.
November football in Pikeville

Pikeville 42
Lawrence County 21
(11-07-2021, 11:54 AM)64SUR Wrote: November football in Pikeville

Pikeville 42
Lawrence County 21
?
Belfry 42
Dawgs 21
This isn't the best team in LC history. I can think of 10 or more teams in the last 30 years that were better. However, this is probably the best group since 2015. This is still a young team with a couple more years to develop. Hopefully, they'll do that and we'll see what happens down the road.

Prior to the last matchup a few people were talking about our schedule hadn't prepared us for Belfry and I completely agree. I'm not sure why we didn't keep Pikeville and Paintsville on the schedule. Because of the weaker schedule, our team clearly wasn't ready for the moment last time. Since then, we've gotten Belfry and Raceland under our belt. Hopefully, that will help (I believe it will).

Isaac Dixon is a special player. I never thought that one player could make such a difference but, he does. He reminds me of Michael West with the type of plays he makes. He's better when the play blows up and he has to improvise...much like West.

With that said, I think Dixon is the difference in the game. I really feel these two teams match up well, when you take him out of the equation. I'll say 28-14 Belfry.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LCfootball's post:
  • Hurricane Storm
Lawrence County has made some adjustments after the first game. The boys will be ready to play. I would love to be able to pick my Bluudogs but until they beat Belfry it’s hard to. I think it will be good game for more than the first half this time. My heart says Lawrence County 28 Belfry 21 my brain says Belfry 35 Lawrence County 24. Really excited for this 2nd showdown.
If you happen to listen or watch the last game between these 2 teams it wasnt as far gap as the score showed. A couple key 3rd down turnovers costed LC the game! Lawrence has to stop the running game!!! Belfrys big line makes it tough for the dawgs!! Imo keep away from the I formation and stay with the gun and pistol! Pass it more... And as far as the defense they outta show a little more pressure on the QB of Belfry !! My heart wants to say lc with a OT win, but my gut tells me belfry wins by 2 touchdowns!!
Belfry 35-7
Belfry with the running clock in the 3rd
(11-07-2021, 12:18 PM)LCfootball Wrote: This isn't the best team in LC history. I can think of 10 or more teams in the last 30 years that were better. However, this is probably the best group since 2015. This is still a young team with a couple more years to develop. Hopefully, they'll do that and we'll see what happens down the road.

Prior to the last matchup a few people were talking about our schedule hadn't prepared us for Belfry and I completely agree. I'm not sure why we didn't keep Pikeville and Paintsville on the schedule. Because of the weaker schedule, our team clearly wasn't ready for the moment last time. Since then, we've gotten Belfry and Raceland under our belt. Hopefully, that will help (I believe it will).

Isaac Dixon is a special player. I never thought that one player could make such a difference but, he does. He reminds me of Michael West with the type of plays he makes. He's better when the play blows up and he has to improvise...much like West.

With that said, I think Dixon is the difference in the game. I really feel these two teams match up well, when you take him out of the equation. I'll say 28-14 Belfry.
While I agree this isn’t the best Lawrence County team that they’ve ever had but there also isn’t 10 teams in the past that are better than this team. From talking to people who’s been around Lawrence County football for decades most think this is probably a top 5 Lawrence County team in the schools history. That’s coming from 3 guys who’s been around LC football for many many years.

(11-08-2021, 12:48 AM)Gold River Wrote: Belfry with the running clock in the 3rd
You do realize that if Lawrence County doesn’t turn the ball over twice last game Belfry probably only wins by 2 scores maybe less. LC was without 2 defensive starters last game which did make a difference. Belfry never put a running clock on Lawrence County in the first game and I don’t see a running clock in this one either. Belfry is the favorite by a couple scores but not by a running clock.
(11-08-2021, 01:26 AM)fewfirstchoice Wrote:
(11-07-2021, 12:18 PM)LCfootball Wrote: This isn't the best team in LC history. I can think of 10 or more teams in the last 30 years that were better. However, this is probably the best group since 2015. This is still a young team with a couple more years to develop. Hopefully, they'll do that and we'll see what happens down the road.

While I agree this isn’t the best Lawrence County team that they’ve ever had but there also isn’t 10 teams in the past that are better than this team. From talking to people who’s been around Lawrence County football for decades most think this is probably a top 5 Lawrence County team in the schools history. That’s coming from 3 guys who’s been around LC football for many many years.

(11-08-2021, 12:48 AM)Gold River Wrote: Belfry with the running clock in the 3rd
You do realize that if Lawrence County doesn’t turn the ball over twice last game Belfry probably only wins by 2 scores maybe less. LC was without 2 defensive starters last game which did make a difference. Belfry never put a running clock on Lawrence County in the first game and I don’t see a running clock in this one either. Belfry is the favorite by a couple scores but not by a running clock.
We will see Friday lol I am open for friendly wagers on that
Belfry because they are just better.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jamesclay's post:
  • Gold River
Be nice for some better announcers for this game! The last belfry game you couldnt understand hardly anything lc was putting up, only biased commentators will do that!!
Imo D&D is the best in the tri state
This is why Belfry plays the schedule they play during the regular season. It’s all geared to make a Championship run. Haywood makes adjustments throughout the year, with position changes and alignments. Most Belfry teams don’t start to peak until about right now. If this Belfry team can hit their stride and start to peak they can make a deep run.

As for Lawrance Co having a young team, this just so happens to be a very Young Belfry team as well with a very special group incoming from middle school. This could be a good match up for several years to come or just be bad timing for Lawrence Co trying to get over that Belfry hump.

Belfry 48
Lawrence 14
(11-08-2021, 01:26 AM)fewfirstchoice Wrote: While I agree this isn’t the best Lawrence County team that they’ve ever had but there also isn’t 10 teams in the past that are better than this team. From talking to people who’s been around Lawrence County football for decades most think this is probably a top 5 Lawrence County team in the schools history. That’s coming from 3 guys who’s been around LC football for many many years.
I'm not trying to diminish this year's team, at all. I think we have a nice team that are led by a bunch of good kids but, if they're a top five group, then they should win Friday. I hope they do. I'll be there cheering them on!

Past LC teams that come to mind that I think are better:
'91 - Lost to Mayfield in state semi finals 21-18.
'92 - Top 5 2A team that lost a tough game to Pburg and the TD Twins in region finals.
'95 - Led by QB Jason Michael (future starting QB at WKU) and Fred Dean.
'97 - 13-1 led by Michael, Gerad Parker, and all state RB, Nick Meadows. They ended Breathitt's 42-game winning streak.
'98 - Probably as good as '97.
'99 - All time best team led by Parker (UK), West, Wright, and Short. They beat Belfry 50-6 and had a 30-game regular season win streak.
'01 - Top 5 3A team, when there were only 4 classes. Led by Mr. Football candidate (West), Wright (Miami of OH), Hossetter (UT Vols).
'09 - 12-1 team led by a great coach, Luke Salmons (now leading Cabell Midland).
I think LC CAN win this game.  If I were on the LC sideline, I'd be preaching on forcing turnovers.  I don't see them forcing Belfry to punt on very many possessions without penalties.  I'd be working on tackling the ball and trying to strip/punch it out on every play.  My best players would be playing with the mindset of trying to get takeaways even if they give up a few extra yards on a given play.  I realize that the 3-4 yard gains will become 7-8 yard gains by playing this style of defense, but again, I'm not expecting many punts from the beginning.  Obviously, if a holding penalty or a tackle for loss puts them in a 2nd and 15 or 1st and 20 situation, just make the play.  However, if Belfry is driving the ball down the field with little slowing them down anyway, yes, absolutely should be trying to force turnovers on every single play.  If LC scores, they should be kicking onside kicks every single time.  The only way I see Lawrence winning this game is to have 3+ turnover differential.  If they can force turnovers and get extra possessions, they CAN win the game.

After all of that, I predict:
Belfry 49
LC 20
(11-07-2021, 11:54 AM)64SUR Wrote: November football in Pikeville

Pikeville 42
Lawrence County 21
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Belfry 42  Lawrence County 21
I think Belfry wins, I’ll score it 28-20.
Dixon is the difference. Belfry is just good, solid, well-coached and tested.
As far as best teams, this edition of Bulldogs is a good football team, but the 97-2003 teams - if everyone is healthy - probably beat this team and name their score.
8 players on the ‘01 team that lost to inadvertent whistles against Bell Co went on to play collegiate football, from the SEC to NAIA.
The 99 and 98, 97 teams were legit and 1991 had more grit than new sandpaper.

But that’s past and we ought to appreciate this team, this matchup against the watermark program in Class 3A in Kentucky, and playing for a district title in November.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brutus's post:
  • LCfootball
(11-08-2021, 03:58 PM)Brutus Wrote: I think Belfry wins, I’ll score it 28-20.
As far as best teams, this edition of Bulldogs is a good football team, but the 97-2003 teams - if everyone is healthy - probably beat this team and name their score.
8 players on the ‘01 team that lost to inadvertent whistles against Bell Co went on to play collegiate football, from the SEC to NAIA.

But that’s past and we ought to appreciate this team, this matchup against the watermark program in Class 3A in Kentucky, and playing for a district title in November.
If we can make improvement or win against a historic program, that could build momentum and confidence within our program for the future. By looking at the roster about 75% of them are sophomores and juniors. We have some talented seniors that will be missed but I think there's a lot to be excited about for the future. We also have some good talent coming up, especially, from the 6th-7th graders that just beat Huntington for our second Turf Bowl in four years.

Good luck to the dawgs Friday against a tough team.
Speaking about the early 90s you all remember the cook boys on that line for lc?
At home, I do think that Belfry is 2-3 touchdowns better than Lawrence County with both teams playing at their best. However, LC has a shot in this game if they can force some Belfry turnovers and get them into some 3rd and long situations.

I think this one will be closer than the first meeting... Belfry wins, 28-14.
Is Young playing for Belfry?
I agree I think this game will be closer. Most teams that are good teams, and I think Lawrence is a good team, can get overwhelmed by Belfry’s size and physicality and just how fast their lineman get off the ball the first time that you play them. I think they’ll be more prepared for that this time but at the end of the day I think Belfry is just too big and too physical. It’s tough to contain Dixon an entire game… I like Belfry by 2-3 TDs.
And actually it wouldn’t surprise me at all to see Belfry in the Semifinals. I really don’t know much about CAL, Bardstown or whoever else may come out of the West, but anyone from the East is surely beatable by a fired up and healthy Belfry bunch. Good luck Pirates!
(11-08-2021, 04:17 PM)LCfootball Wrote:

If we can make improvement or win against a historic program, that could build momentum and confidence within our program for the future. By looking at the roster about 75% of them are sophomores and juniors. We have some talented seniors that will be missed but I think there's a lot to be excited about for the future. We also have some good talent coming up, especially, from the 6th-7th graders that just beat Huntington for our second Turf Bowl in four years.

The same middle school kids that lost to Belfry 38-0 this season? Not trying to diminish but simply asking.
(11-08-2021, 11:37 PM)irishcard16 Wrote:

The same middle school kids that lost to Belfry 38-0 this season? Not trying to diminish but simply asking.
He’s referring to the 6th and 7th graders who make up the A-team that whipped up on Belfry earlier in the season.  Good try though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Wildcat45's post:
  • LCfootball
(11-08-2021, 11:47 PM)Wildcat45 Wrote:

He’s referring to the 6th and 7th graders who make up the A-team that whipped up on Belfry earlier in the season.  Good try though.
Yelp. In that matchup, the Derifield kid scored at least 2 tds from 50-60 yards or more.
(11-09-2021, 12:03 AM)LCfootball Wrote:

Yelp. In that matchup, the Derifield kid scored at least 2 tds from 50-60 yards or more.
I think you all are referring to 5/6 grade football not 6/7 grade football. At least for us it is. The middle school game was pretty one sided in favor of Belfry.

I even put that I was simply asking, I truly wasn’t trying to be a smart alic. But since we want to be smart alics, FWIW Pike Central beats Belfry every single year in 3/4 grade and 5/6 grade youth games. Really doesn’t translate to HS success at that age.
(11-09-2021, 12:28 AM)irishcard16 Wrote:
(11-09-2021, 12:03 AM)LCfootball Wrote:
(11-08-2021, 04:17 PM)LCfootball Wrote: If we can make improvement or win against a historic program, that could build momentum and confidence within our program for the future. By looking at the roster about 75% of them are sophomores and juniors. We have some talented seniors that will be missed but I think there's a lot to be excited about for the future. We also have some good talent coming up, especially, from the 6th-7th graders that just beat Huntington for our second Turf Bowl in four years.

I think you all are referring to 5/6 grade football not 6/7 grade football. At least for us it is. The middle school game was pretty one sided in favor of Belfry.
The middle school game was and you have a good team. The other was with our A team that's made up of 11-12 year olds. They just beat Huntington in the Turf Bowl at Marshall. You can watch it on D&D, if you want to spare the time.