Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Prestonsburg
50.00%
Shelby Valley
50.00%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prestonsburg @ Shelby Valley 9/30
Class 2A Prestonsburg (4-2) will travel Thursday night 9/30 to Class 2A Shelby Valley (2-3)

Prestonsburg win: Phelps 12-8, Powell County 34-6, Floyd Central 26-24, East Ridge 48-22
                 losses: Covid 0-1, Magofin County 34-6

Shelby Valley wins: Pike County Central 59-32, Floyd Central 16-14
                  losses: Letcher County Central 50-13, North Laurel 42-7, West Carter 26-20

Thoughts?
This is going to be a fun game to watch. I think both teams are more talented than they get credit for and will both come to play Friday night. I know Pburgs offense will move the ball on SV. Their offense has been getting better every game and I don't see SV being able to stop that trend. I think Pburgs weaknesses right now are snap discipline and LB play. I think if we come to play and stay focused then we win this one by 2 TDs and control the game.

Pburg 30
SV 16
[-] The following 1 user Likes Red and Black's post:
  • BlackcatPride32
Prestonsburg 28-21
The common opponent between the two teams is Floyd Central. The Jags were able to control the clock on both teams, yet lost both games and SV & Pburg were both able to finish with around 300 total yards on FC.

Shelby Valley wants to establish a run game with Newsome and a quick passing game with Osborne. Osborne is a smart quarterback, that won't throw many balls into bad spots. If the play isn't there downfield, he will tuck it and run for first downs. Prestonsburg has been running the ball at will ever since they've got their whole team back from quarantine before the Powell game, averaging right around 8.5 yards per carry over the last 3 games. The line has been opening big holes and the misdirection plays have been effective.

The Wildcats have also been hammering Prestonsburg since Brewer took over for Pburg. Averaging over 50 points per game and holding Pburg to under 10 during that stretch. This game is likely to be much different than the last 3 meetings. Prestonsburg is way more physical and has momentum going into the game and there's a chance SV may not take Prestonsburg as serious as they should because of their recent dominance in the series.

For Prestonsburg to win, they cannot play undisciplined like they have the last two weeks. If they do, they're beat. You cannot give this Valley offense first downs because of mental mistakes. The Blackcats must apply pressure to Osborne and contain Newsome. Getting stops in the backfield would be huge for Pburg. Secondary has to be very smart also, because SV wants gash you with the short passing game. Blackcats cannot afford to get down big early in this ball game, because Pburg does not have a passing game. They've got to limit possessions for SV's offense by controlling the clock and most importantly play smashmouth football. Be physical and don't turn the ball over.

For Shelby Valley to win, you've got to create turnovers and force 3 and outs. Prestonsburg's line is good and Akers and Jarvis aren't easy to bring down, but they're susceptible to fumbling while trying to get those extra yards. If the Wildcats can force a few fumbles and jump out on Pburg early, they'll win this game.

This is a huge district game for both teams and I highly expect a great game that will come down to the wire. If Pburg can run like they have been they'll win this game, but if SV is able to force a few turnovers and hit on some big plays with Newsome or through the air with Osborne, then Valley wins.

I'm taking Pburg, 28-22.
[-] The following 2 users Like BlackcatAlum's post:
  • BlackcatPride32, Red and Black
(09-27-2021, 10:56 PM)Red and Black Wrote: This is going to be a fun game to watch. I think both teams are more talented than they get credit for and will both come to play Friday night. I know Pburgs offense will move the ball on SV. Their offense has been getting better every game and I don't see SV being able to stop that trend. I think Pburgs weaknesses right now are snap discipline and LB play. I think if we come to play and stay focused then we win this one by 2 TDs and control the game.

Pburg 30
SV 16
I agree with all of this except the score! Excellent summary! I have PBurg by 6
If those boys will come out like they did last week, it will be hard for just about anyone to handle them. They were extraordinary, but this is a new week and a new opponent away from home. I agree with the above posts if they come out flat I dont like their chances at all. But if they come out ready to rock I'll take Pburg in a close one.
Pburg 22
SV 20
[-] The following 1 user Likes waughdaddy59's post:
  • BlackcatPride32
Go BlackCats!
[-] The following 1 user Likes pjdoug's post:
  • BlackcatPride32
Live stream of tonight's game:

https://mountain-toplive.com/2021/09/27/...m-sept-30/
SV scores on their second play... 8-0 Wildcats

Not a good start for Pburg
Prestonsburg answers with a 48 yard touchdown for George.... 8-6 SV
a muffed punt is about the worst thing to see in football I hate them.
  • BlackcatAlum
Blackcat defense stops Valley again after a muffed punt...

Huge stop after the turnover.
Hopefully they can hold on all night like they did just then.

Arm tackles don't work boys wrap him all the way up.

Boy that penalty saved a bad tackle
Shelby Valley got down the field rather easy on that drive... now lead 16-6.

Blackcats have got to answer again, otherwise this one could get out of hand.
Boy that personal foul was the last thing they needed.
(09-30-2021, 09:02 PM)waughdaddy59 Wrote: Boy that personal foul was the last thing they needed.
Drive killers for sure.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackcatAlum's post:
  • waughdaddy59
Shelby Valley looks like they came ready to play tonight. We’ll see how they hold up in the 4th, but right now they’re winning the battle up front on both sides of the ball. Pburg not able to get the chunk off tackle plays like we have got the last few weeks. I’m concerned, but that’s why they play 4 quarters.
Nice play!!!
Wildcats fumble.... Prestonsburg recovers.... HUGE

Need points
If Akers is hurt then we’re in a giant pile of trouble.
Yea I agree Shelby Valley is playing well right now but I believe if PBURG will settle down they will be okay the first series of offense and second and third series of defense they did well but got rattled. Got to hang in there.

Nice Ballsy play.
  • Red and Black
Nice punt inside the 1
What. A. Punt.
Arm tackles will not get the job done fellas. Had him at the line of scrimmage and grabbed his hand
Shelby Valley shooting themsevles in the foot... snap goes over Osborne's head and he kicks it through the back of the endzone.... 16-8, SV... Wildcats will kick off
Boy just a touch faster and you get a touchdown after a bad snap.
I'd like to note.... super smart decision by the sophomore Russ Osborne to kick that through the back of the end zone... 2 is much better than giving up 6.
(09-30-2021, 09:17 PM)waughdaddy59 Wrote: Arm tackles will not get the job done fellas. Had him at the line of scrimmage and grabbed his hand

Our D hasn’t looked very good all year. We’ve got some really good players, but bad schemes and fundamentals.
Don't waste this opportunity BlackCats get back in it right now.
Pburg OLINE getting zero push