Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1999 Pikeville Invitational Tournament with Clay County, Tates Creek & Williamson,WV
Scoring for the December finals has Pikeville 57 Tates Creek 44
Chase Gibson 27
Jeremiah Akers 4
Nick Lynch 9
Brandon Thompson 4
Matt Walls 8
Matt Branham 4
Adams Meyers 2
Will Thomas with 14 points for Tates Creek
On Friday Pikeville vs. Clay County and Williamson, WV vs. Tates Creek
Clay County was probably led by Jeremy Asher a talented PG and big man Richard Walker. 
Williamson was led by Fred Russell, Garett Georgy, Josh Fletcher, Ben Hannah & Chris Carroll. I found these names from games with Belfry in 2000 & 2001 seasons. The 2001 Williamson team won the Class A in Charleston. Fred, Garett and Chris were all tournament in state finals for Williamson. Is their a basketball page that shows history of the Pikeville Invitational? My printed program shows winning teams from 1980-1999. 1982 Virgie semi-finalist at State, 1986 Hazard semi-finalist at State.
The P.I.T. used to be one of my favorite basketball events of the season. I love those tournaments where they have 8 teams and they have 4 games a day for 3 days. If the PIT ever gets back to that format, I'd like to go back and watch it again. Nothing beats getting to spend all day/night in the gym watching games!

I wish their was a website that showed that history. If I am not mistaken its the 2nd oldest in season tournament in Kentucky, if not 2nd it is right up there.
I remember when two of the 5 top rated schools played in the finals.... Louisville Flaget winning over Pikeville in sudden death over time... that is when after two OT’s whoever scored the next two points wins the game... Pikeville got the tip but turned it over, and Ted Deacon scored for LF... he went on and played for UK..... I was a little fellow and went home and cried most of the night...