Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ref Bashing
I just wanted to say that I think it's ridiculous how many posts I have read on here tonight and last week where people are complaining about the officiating. It's always, "Well we lost, but there were a bunch of bad calls that went against us" or "Those refs are always out to get us (fill-in-the-blank team) and they must be on the take". Yeesh.

Can anyone whose team lost tonight come on here and NOT criticize the refs?
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I just wanted to say that I think it's ridiculous how many posts I have read on here tonight and last week where people are complaining about the officiating. It's always, "Well we lost, but there were a bunch of bad calls that went against us" or "Those refs are always out to get us (fill-in-the-blank team) and they must be on the take". Yeesh.

Can anyone whose team lost tonight come on here and NOT criticize the refs?

My team didnt lose tonight but the refs did make several bad calls in the game
All I've goto say to people that blame the refs is, "Refs don't score touchdowns, the players do."
Cards09 Wrote:My team didnt lose tonight but the refs did make several bad calls in the game

That may be the case, but I doubt that all the bad calls went against one team in favor of the other...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
there's a difference between blaming a loss on a ref and saying the refs called a bad game. when you see a player deliberately kick a player on the opposite team in the open and NONE of the refs see it, that's a badly officiated game.
Nuffsaid23 Wrote:there's a difference between blaming a loss on a ref and saying the refs called a bad game. when you see a player deliberately kick a player on the opposite team in the open and NONE of the refs see it, that's a badly officiated game.

But as a player/fan of one team, you're viewing that incident through a biased perspective. It is likely that the players/fans on the other team saw that incident in a totally different light than you did.

Heck, maybe they even thought more of the bad calls went against them!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:That may be the case, but I doubt that all the bad calls went against one team in favor of the other...

No they called almost every one of them on us but the called or 3 on lc
my team won last week but it should have been worse. the refs called a poor game in greenup county cause they called alot of penalties on us for "leading with the helmet" when we would hit with our shoulder pads. you tell me if that is a bad call or not. it went on all night.
Have you guys seen the TD call in the state game last year with Mercer and Russell?????? If you seen this play then you have seen A BAD CALL by the referees. Not whining about them scoring because they never scored !!!!!
HEY we lost but that call lost it for us,,,well along with bad passing but allowing the TD gave them 6 points which then in turn gave them a chance for 2 more points.
So yea I would say that the ref's called "A" bad call that lost the game for us....
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:So yea I would say that the ref's called "A" bad call that lost the game for us....
^^^
That, along with bad passing.
FOX SPORTS Wrote:^^^
That, along with bad passing.

I'm going to have to go with passing PERIOD. Bad or otherwise. Why in the world would a running team like Russell even try to pass in those conditions.
Midee1 Wrote:I'm going to have to go with passing PERIOD. Bad or otherwise. Why in the world would a running team like Russell even try to pass in those conditions.
Yeah, I agree.
The Sheldon Clark game against the Bulldogs last night was a very poorly officiated game. I don't care what anybody says. They spent at least 10 minutes trying to figure out what happened on this 1 play when there was like 3 flags. That was uncalled for.
57th crazer Wrote:The Sheldon Clark game against the Bulldogs last night was a very poorly officiated game. I don't care what anybody says. They spent at least 10 minutes trying to figure out what happened on this 1 play when there was like 3 flags. That was uncalled for.

Here is my suggestion to correct that problem. Become an official yourself. There is a test offered by the KHSAA that can be taken and you pay your 40 dollars and get put into a rotation to officiate games. Start at the pee wee level and work your way up. Do this and you will see things in a totally different light. Officials are human and will make mistakes. Most of them do the best that they can and sometimes things get confusing out there.

Step up to the plate and be part of the solution. Don't just set back and complain because things don't go your way.
cougar_54 Wrote:my team won last week but it should have been worse. the refs called a poor game in greenup county cause they called alot of penalties on us for "leading with the helmet" when we would hit with our shoulder pads. you tell me if that is a bad call or not. it went on all night.

Well like i said in another post if you drop your head its going to be call lead with the head if you lead with your shoulder you have to keep your head up, Cause if you don't it will be called everytime,,, and once again YOU CAN BE TROW OUT OF THE GAME FOR IT !!!
beleave me i have coached football for 6 years and i am also a ref in the state of Ky, even tho I don't coach this year or ref due to taken care of my family,,,
Midee1 Wrote:Here is my suggestion to correct that problem. Become an official yourself. There is a test offered by the KHSAA that can be taken and you pay your 40 dollars and get put into a rotation to officiate games. Start at the pee wee level and work your way up. Do this and you will see things in a totally different light. Officials are human and will make mistakes. Most of them do the best that they can and sometimes things get confusing out there.

Step up to the plate and be part of the solution. Don't just set back and complain because things don't go your way.

Amen it is alway blemed on the refs,,, look at last night game russelll and west carter in a dis, game and we only had 4 ref's and there was only what 3 flags allnight?
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:Have you guys seen the TD call in the state game last year with Mercer and Russell?????? If you seen this play then you have seen A BAD CALL by the referees. Not whining about them scoring because they never scored !!!!!
HEY we lost but that call lost it for us,,,well along with bad passing but allowing the TD gave them 6 points which then in turn gave them a chance for 2 more points.
So yea I would say that the ref's called "A" bad call that lost the game for us....

Yes they did and it plainly shows on the tape we stopped their forward movement which is a dead ball not once but twice,, The back field pushed the QB which had the ball to help him get in the endzone which you can't do in high school,,, The ref on our side line came in and spotted the ball down at the 1 yard line. The ref from the other side came in and was looking in the pile then he was the only one to give them the TD,????So you are right on this one,
Mc lost last night, but it wasnt over the refs. but they did call a lot of penalties on us when pcc was doing the same thing... like magoffin jumped off side and they called it and they should have but they didnt call it on pcc when it was seen openly and seen by a ref 3 different times... so i think that the reffs do call a lot of BAD game!
I thought there were alot of calls, pretty much both ways last night against SC and LC? LC has so many self inflicted penalites!!!!
Midee1 Wrote:Here is my suggestion to correct that problem. Become an official yourself. There is a test offered by the KHSAA that can be taken and you pay your 40 dollars and get put into a rotation to officiate games. Start at the pee wee level and work your way up. Do this and you will see things in a totally different light. Officials are human and will make mistakes. Most of them do the best that they can and sometimes things get confusing out there.

Thanks, Midee, that was an excellent post.

Have you noticed that even on this thread, people continue to get on here and criticize the officiating? Everyone seems to think if they lose, blame it on the refs.

People don't realize they are seeing these games from a biased perspective. These posts are always saying that all the bad calls went against their team. Do you ever see one where somebody says "We may have won, but man there were sure a bunch of bad calls against the other team." I bet you could even see two posts from the same game, one from each team complaining that the other guys got all the calls.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
becoming a ref is something i don't want to do! i feel sorry for those guys sometimes. i have been to games where our team has one and i could honestly say they had some bad calls against the other them.
keep up the good work refs if we didn't have you all that were brave enough to do it we wouldn't have ball games.
It seems like in today's world, more people just want to blame someone else for any problem that arises. For example sports fans would rather blame a ref. for a loss on 1 or 2 bad calls or no calls during the game instead of placing the blame on the team. How many games have you seem where the coaches made all the right decisions in their game preparation and in thier play calling? How many games have you seen where there were no missed blocks, no turnovers, no missed tackles? But the thing that sticks in everyone mind is the missed call or bad spot, but like Midee1 said these officials are like everyone else including coaches and players we are all human and we all make mistakes.
Old School Wrote:It seems like in today's world, more people just want to blame someone else for any problem that arises. For example sports fans would rather blame a ref. for a loss on 1 or 2 bad calls or no calls during the game instead of placing the blame on the team. How many games have you seem where the coaches made all the right decisions in their game preparation and in thier play calling? How many games have you seen where there were no missed blocks, no turnovers, no missed tackles? But the thing that sticks in everyone mind is the missed call or bad spot, but like Midee1 said these officials are like everyone else including coaches and players we are all human and we all make mistakes.

I agree with you completely, Old School. That sentiment seems to be true not just in sports, but life in general. It's always somebody else that's to blame for life's problems.

Better be careful, though, or this thread will get moved to the Politics forum! Smile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Let me clarify something...that ONE bad call gave them the win in the state game....... JUST ONE BAD CALL !!!!----ONE...... allowed the TD that never should have been
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
This thread is both sad and pathetic.
Mr. Sandwich Wrote:This thread is both sad and pathetic.

Care to tell us why this thread is both sad and pathetic? We are discussing the merits or lack there of of our officials. Nothing has gotten out of hand and no one is getting bashed. Until that happens the thread will stay open.
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:Let me clarify something...that ONE bad call gave them the win in the state game....... JUST ONE BAD CALL !!!!----ONE...... allowed the TD that never should have been

You are 100 % right it was only one bad call by them they gave them the win, and i have been on both sides of the game refing and coaching and i was a coach at that game and yes we made some bad calls but they made a wors call and gave them that TD, and if it wasn't for that call Russell would have won back to back state games and the score would have been 12- 7 russell and thats that like it or not thats what it would have been.
nuff said
Midee1 Wrote:Care to tell us why this thread is both sad and pathetic? We are discussing the merits or lack there of of our officials. Nothing has gotten out of hand and no one is getting bashed. Until that happens the thread will stay open.

Regardless of which game is being played, there are always going to be bad calls. I have been to a couple games this year and I have seen bad calls from officials. These calls did not change the game. The players were able to overcome the bad calls. But we don't see them on here whining about it.
Mr. Sandwich Wrote:Regardless of which game is being played, there are always going to be bad calls. I have been to a couple games this year and I have seen bad calls from officials. These calls did not change the game. The players were able to overcome the bad calls. But we don't see them on here whining about it.

Well I for one have noticed many players on here complaining about the calls. That is part of the reason I left the thread open. I am trying to hear all sides of the story.