Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds Call-Ups: Votto is in...Bruce is out
Heralded Reds prospect Joey Votto will join 6 others from Louisville for the Reds September call-ups. In addition to Votto, the Reds also are adding relief pitchers Todd Coffey, Kirk Saarloos, Brad Salmon, newly acquired outfielder Buck Coats (the Reds got him from the Cubs last week for the ever-famous player-to-be-named-later and cash) and catcher Ryan Hanigan.

Louisville outfielder Jay Bruce, who began this season at Single-A Sarasota, and Double-A Chattanooga pitcher Johnny Cueto will not be called up. The Reds' top pick in the 2005 draft, Bruce batted .319 with 46 doubles, 26 home runs and 89 RBI in 133 games split between Sarasota, Chattanooga and Louisville this season. He is expected to be named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year later this week.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...709040343/
I know everyone else on here will probably disagree with me, but I think the team is making the right decision by not calling up Bruce or Cueto. With Bruce, there is simply not much playing time to go around, what with Hamilton, Junior, and Dunn still manning the outfield. I don't think it would help him much to come up and sit the bench. Better to get him into some kind of fall league (which it sounds like the Reds will do) where he can play every day and continue his development.

As for Cueto, they stated in the Enquirer that the team feels he has pitched enough for this year (161 1/3 innings) and it's time to shut it down till spring. I agree with that too, no point overworking a young arm at this point of the year.

Side note, it's good to see Coffey back to his usual bag of tricks. Three batters faced tonight, no outs recorded, 3 ER after giving up a 3-run bomb. Woo-hoo! Sad
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I know everyone else on here will probably disagree with me, but I think the team is making the right decision by not calling up Bruce or Cueto. With Bruce, there is simply not much playing time to go around, what with Hamilton, Junior, and Dunn still manning the outfield. I don't think it would help him much to come up and sit the bench. Better to get him into some kind of fall league (which it sounds like the Reds will do) where he can play every day and continue his development.

As for Cueto, they stated in the Enquirer that the team feels he has pitched enough for this year (161 1/3 innings) and it's time to shut it down till spring. I agree with that too, no point overworking a young arm at this point of the year.

Side note, it's good to see Coffey back to his usual bag of tricks. Three batters faced tonight, no outs recorded, 3 ER after giving up a 3-run bomb. Woo-hoo! Sad

I agree totally. I posted several weeks ago that Bruce wouldn't be called up. Let Votto come up and get some swings...see what he's got.

Votto hit a homerun as his first big league hit today...Solo shot. He struck out in a pinch hitting role last night.

I don't know what's up with Coffey. To me, it's like he doesn't have the mentality to make the "out pitch". He serves up his stuff after he blows guys away in the count early.
Yay Votto! Hopefully the first of many!

Now if they could only turn back the clock a few weeks and remember that they should've traded Scott Hatteberg before the deadline... Big Grin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Votto went 3-3 with his first major league homer! I still think that Bruce should have got the call as well.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Votto went 3-3 with his first major league homer! I still think that Bruce should have got the call as well.

I disagree. Bruce would not get much playing time since the Reds have 3 full-time outfield starters right now. Josh Hamilton needs to continue to play every day, and I don't think you can bench Dunn or Griffey in order to play a rookie. Also, I believe that sitting the bench to pinch-hit with an occasional spot start could actually hinder his development. Don't rush the kid, he's not even spent a full year in AAA yet! His time will come soon...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I disagree. Bruce would not get much playing time since the Reds have 3 full-time outfield starters right now. Josh Hamilton needs to continue to play every day, and I don't think you can bench Dunn or Griffey in order to play a rookie. Also, I believe that sitting the bench to pinch-hit with an occasional spot start could actually hinder his development. Don't rush the kid, he's not even spent a full year in AAA yet! His time will come soon...

I see your point but could you explain how pitch hitting could hinder development? (friendly request) You are completely right about Dunn, Griff, and Hamilton. I just think that if Bruce is not going to be doing anything baseball related now that his team is out, why not bring him up and poke around the park.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:I see your point but could you explain how pitch hitting could hinder development? (friendly request) You are completely right about Dunn, Griff, and Hamilton. I just think that if Bruce is not going to be doing anything baseball related now that his team is out, why not bring him up and poke around the park.

Bruce has other things on his plate that the Reds have set up for him this fall. He will go to the Instructional League for a while, then he will participate in an the International Baseball World Cup tournament in Taiwan. He should get plenty of playing time at both events, which can only help him improve his skills. On the contrary, sitting the bench and pinch-hitting in Cincinnati will not help him become a better player.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Bruce has other things on his plate that the Reds have set up for him this fall. He will go to the Instructional League for a while, then he will participate in an the International Baseball World Cup tournament in Taiwan. He should get plenty of playing time at both events, which can only help him improve his skills. On the contrary, sitting the bench and pinch-hitting in Cincinnati will not help him become a better player.

Was not aware of his fall activities. I guess it isn't really a big deal, he will be up in Cincy in due time. I like that he is staying busy during the offseason, I think that was what I was concerned about. I just have to be patience and think what is best.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Was not aware of his fall activities. I guess it isn't really a big deal, he will be up in Cincy in due time. I like that he is staying busy during the offseason, I think that was what I was concerned about. I just have to be patience and think what is best.

I feel you there, man. I am really pumped about seeing him up in Cincy playing every day, I just don't know when that will be. Whenever it happens, though, I think he will be a superstar...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]