Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hurdling Penalty?
Tonight in the prestonsburg - breathitt game prestonsburg qb bobby hugues scrambled and was running and he hurdled a kid..it was a pretty amazing play..and the refs threw a flag on hurdling and said that it is illegal in the KHSAA for two feet to come off the ground at the same time when running the ball..i was just wandering if anybody else had ever seen or heard of this in a high school football game..?
I have never heard of that before.
That sounds crazy.Never heard of that.Bigpun might know!!
Thats a new one on me, will check into it though.
Even better than that....I saw a ball carrier called for a personal foul for leading with the head...If that's a personal foul then no running back can ever dive for the endzone again.
FOX SPORTS Wrote:Even better than that....I saw a ball carrier called for a personal foul for leading with the head...If that's a personal foul then no running back can ever dive for the endzone again.

Refs called that on Sheldon Clark's QB Hensley when he kept the ball and ran during their scrimmage game with Prestonsburg.
Absolutely stupid I think. How can you even say that hurdling is illegal? And how in the world can a RB or whoever has the ball even attempt to run over or break a tackle without your head being down? What are you going to do stand straight up... Just stupid I think.
Hail Mary Wrote:Refs called that on Sheldon Clark's QB Hensley when he kept the ball and ran during their scrimmage game with Prestonsburg.

no..what happend there they called helmet to helmet contact...and personaly i think thats a very stupid rule, expecially for backs..but what happend is one of prestonsburgs players dropped down to wrap the ball carriers legs up and he lowerd his head and their helmets popped..at first they were gonna call it on prestonsburg but they called it on schs..
thats stupid
Both are stupid
Ya everything that has been mentioned sounds a little over the edge.
Noexcuses Wrote:That sounds crazy.Never heard of that.Bigpun might know!!
I don't know the full explanation of the rule, if there is one, but I have never in all of my life seen penalties for hurdling of for a RB putting his head and shoulders down to try to gain more yards. Julian needs to see and hear this crazy stuff.
You just have some refs that comb through the rulebook and find a certain rule and are just waiting for the right time to call it. I know this thread is about football. But, just like the other day when a umpire went after Terry Francona of Boston about the uniform rule in the MLB. Just an arrogant official trying to be noticed for something.
It is in fact a rule, but you hardly ever see it called.
Last night in a game a kid laughed and got a 15 yards unsportmans like conduct. But to make it even worst the ref didnt even hear or see it and the opposing teams quarterback went up to him and said he was laughing and the ref said i will fix that and threw a 15 yard penalty.
leading with the head/helmet was the "point of emphasis" (sp?) for the refs this Summer. I've seen lots of debate on other boards about it. I won't go into it, but it IS a judgement call, which means you can't argue with the ref when he decides it's penalty time.

Now, about this "hurdling" thing - let me let you in on a little secret - WHAT A LOAD OF ****. Ask your coach to show you slo-mo of a long TD run and watch the guys feet. It's IMPOSSIBLE to run while maintaining ground contact with one of the feet. Have you ever heard of the "sport" of race-walking? It's like a mini-marathon, but 1 foot HAS to be in contact with the ground at all times. That's what makes it different - they don't "run".
Now, it might be illegal to jump over a player, but I don't think so, since def. lineman could just lay down on a goal line stand and never give up a QB sneak for a TD.
One possibility - it might be illegal to "hurdle" if you're given a push/boost by a teammate.

Next.
If it is a push from behind by a team mate its called aiding the runner, I've seen it called twice in my life.
the khsaa is turning football into a soccer game..no helmet to helmet contact or hurdling is outrageous..im just gonna leave it at that
dfblackcat53 Wrote:the khsaa is turning football into a soccer game..no helmet to helmet contact or hurdling is outrageous..im just gonna leave it at that
helmet to helmet is needed, and hurdling isn't a new rule. It has been in effect for years but hardly ever called.
Both rules that have been mention here are for the safety of the kids. No kid should ever lower his head. This should be taught by any coach or parent. You can coach lowering your pad but should always keep you head up. The intent of the head to head rule is for the old term spearing. This should be called every time but the head to head that happens on accident should never be called. I know it is judgement call but it really isn't hard to tell when a kid is intending to spear. Now for the hurdling rule that is also a judgement call in my 30+ years around the game I have only seen it called a few time.
I have seen Daniel Harmon hurdle/leap over/soar through the air countless times, and there has never been a penalty called against him for doing so. I have never seen it called, nor did I know it was a rule. I may be overlooking something simple here, but why would a ballcarrier be penalized for hurdling? Most rules in KHSAA are in effect to protect the players, but hurdling and diving for the endzone/first down marker are as much a part of the game as the stiff-arm, the spin move, and what my generation has dubbed the "truck stick". Just wondering why hurdling is such a big deal...?
thats stupid
Sounds like a Jimmy Cecil call. haha
[email=BC75@Bluegrassrivals.com][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/email]
BC75@Bluegrassrivals.com