Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
McCracken Co. vs. Mayfield
thoughts and why u believe as you do.Im picking Mayfield because of coaching and several returning key defensive and some offensive starters such as Kylan Galbreath he is a beast!!!
Mayfield by 10
I don’t know what to expect here. Mayfield is Mayfield & will always be competitive against anyone. McCracken has a bunch of talent but haven’t been able to test their ability due to all these restrictions. Same for Mayfield but they’re born to play & always field a great team. I took McCracken last year to win. I’m hoping they can even up the series at 4. I believe it’ll be a sloppy game from both sides. A lot of mistakes, missed tackles, & penalties. McCracken’s defense will be their backbone this season. But without being able to have full contact & tackling drills so far it might make the defense ineffective. I guess we’ll see.
McCracken 27- Mayfield 21.
Mayfield's followers are not screaming they are invincible as they are waiting to see how a new quarterback will fare as well as McCracken will be fielding a new quarterback. Both will have at least one very good running back who can score from anywhere on the field. I predict a wild and wooly game. 42- 35 Mustangs.
144 views just 3 responses come on people.This is always a good game why areent you responding to this thread especially my Mayfield Peeps.
I have watched Pryor Lamb work multiple times this summer with Kaiya Sheron, Gavin Wimsatt, and another couple HS quarterbacks and I will say, that I believe his play will be the difference for McCracken to take the win.

My Purchase Area Picks for 9/11/2020

McCracken County over Mayfield (28-26): Quarterback play makes the difference....Lamb > Cartwright at this point in the season.

Trigg County over Ballard Memorial (35-6): Do not know anything about Ballard, but Trigg has more than enough.

Murray over Webster County (45-28): Fulton County will be upset that they had to cancel this game, but the new bussing requirements made the decision for them...Murray enjoys the victory instead.

Marshall County over Calloway County (28-24)...Two large programs that are looking for direction, one will get to start the season on the right foot.

Paducah Tilghman over Graves County (35-21)...Tilghman may be the Purchase area's best team...but for the short prep time like PT's athletes better.

Union City over Fulton County (35-24): Get the a game that's 2 hours closer but to a team that has had two games and more time to find its strengths and correct some of it weaknesses. However, not the Union City, TN of old, and the game will be closer than most people realize.
I am going with Mayfield, why because they are Mayfield.
McCracken beat Mayfield last year when they had Stinson and Cady, and I realize McCracken had Wheat and Hayes. I would think most people would say Mayfield had a very good team last year but not a State Championship. Seems to me McCracken has more back this year on all around sides of the ball.
The two teams mirror each more so than any of the 8 matchups:
• Both lose outstanding & experienced QB's along with top end WR's (E. Wheat 2700 yds, 34 TDs) (F. Hayes 1500 yds, 26 TDs) vs. (J. Stinson 3500 yds, 48 TDs) (K. Neely 1200 yds 20 TDs).
• Both lose high percentage & experienced K's (with Mayfield's also serving as really good punter).
• Both return prolific RB's with power and speed combo.
• Both return some key players on the defensive side.

QB's - Calling this even (since I don't know enough about either QB). Having near zero experience opens the possibility for a major differential in game impact. Which QB will play more comfortable, make plays with the fewest mistakes? Which OC will open the playbook for the passing game? Play action in a run heavy game could be a difference maker. This is probably the biggest wildcard for the game's outcome.

RB's - Calling this even. H. Bradley, coming off 2019 season ending injury, will no doubt be hungry to mix it up again (very physical runner). Not expecting any hesitations with him, it's just not in his DNA. Read that K. Galbreath looks like he spent some serious time in the weight room, uh yikes! He averaged nearly 7 ypc in last years' game. Bradley was used more in the passing game throughout the season than Galbreath, which could be a factor for the young QB’s.

WR's - McCracken with a significant advantage. Return starters Z. Mayes (Sr), J. Hughes (Jr) and N. Masek (Jr)(TE). The three accounted for nearly 1,000 yds on 68 receptions. Mayfield graduated their entire starting WR corps, which was an outstanding group. The Cardinals may very well have some good replacements that just couldn't find the field last year with the senior (5) loaded group, but their lack of experience favors the Mustangs.

OLAdvantage McCracken. The Mustangs return 4 of 5 starters, with B. Miller being a significant standout (WPSD ranked #6 player - Gridiron Glory). Mayfield returns 1 starter who plays both ways T. Arnold (Sr. 6’2” 265). Lack of scrimmages and practices will add to the normal early season depth issues / in game conditioning.

DLRun D advantage Mayfield, Pass rush advantage McCracken. Mayfield returns all 3 of the front guys, but one is expected to move to LB leaving the void to inexperience. The Cardinals are historically good at run defense. T. Arnold will anchor them again this year at NT, they are questionable at pass rush. McCracken returns 3 of their 4-man front. The Mustangs do a respectable job up front against the run, but seem to be better at the pass rush. L. Bolen had 14 sacks last year and will be an exciting player to watch. D. Skinner looks solid on the other side.

LB’sAdvantage Mayfield. Again, the Cardinals are historically good and this year shouldn’t see a drop off. J. Rogers is expected to lead this defense once again (125 tackles), N. Watkins, who started on DL in 2019, is expected to move back to his natural position. K. Galbreath will add speed and aggression in a starting role this year. The other spot will be inexperienced. Key loss: M. Jackson, a very big and physical player. The Mustangs return 3 starting LB’s with Isiah Keys (Jr) the player to watch (86 tackles). Seniors J. Gruber and H. Vlach bring plenty of game experience. McCracken gave up numerous long run TDs last year. They will need an improvement from the front 7 because they still lack the overall speed to catch runners from behind. They did improve playing as a unit in the last 4 games of 2019.

DB’sSlim margin to McCracken. Neither team really has that proven “standout” player but McCracken returns more experience. K. Perez (Sr) and C. Crowell (Jr) return as starters while I. McCune (Sr) will get the starting S position. He also has game experience at QB and WR, which shows his versatility. Key loss: K. Reeves (led team in tackles and INT, added 3 sacks), a very aggressive player and vocal leader on the field. Mayfield doesn’t return any listed starters, but D. Coles (Jr) had more than enough time at S last year to be considered a returner (60 tackles). J. Topp (Sr), I. Stevenson (Jr), and B. Gould (Jr) are expected to fill the other spots, collectively bringing very little game experience. Speed most likely won’t be an issue. Key loss/es: solid threesome of DB’s that accounted for 10 INTs. The 2A championship game showed K. Neely’s importance on the field. Losing him had a great impact on that game, especially down the stretch.

STCalling this even - 2 PAT attempts between current kickers on both rosters. If the game is as close as expected, this could prove to be a game changer. Will coaches opt for 2-pt conversions if confidence isn’t there yet? Mayfield loses a quality punter too. Their ability to pin teams deep over the past few seasons has been a big asset to the defense. Mayfield usually has enough team speed to find someone to return kicks and punts, but losing K. Neely and D. Perry is significant. McCracken will most likely go with J. Hughes for returns. Should see some opportunities for the KR units without the veteran legs kicking into the end zones (the dreaded pooch might be the option though). 

IntangiblesSlight advantage Mayfield. Home field -not so much of an advantage- as the hosts are combined 3-4. Also, limited attendance due to guidelines neutralizes it even moreso. Mayfield coaching staff is well known for experience and halftime adjustments. The Cardinals will come in eager to avenge last years’ upset (by most opinions) and they line up against anyone believing they will win. These Mustangs expect to have loads of confidence with all the experience they return (8 starters on both sides). They accomplished what very few players have, go into War Memorial and win. If the experience translates into fewer penalties and mistakes – lean toward McCracken here.

Turnovers (last year the Mustangs won the turnover battle 3-0), penalties, QB play, and the kicking game are the major variables to watch. Mayfield is notorious for stopping one-dimensional offenses, even if using a bend but don’t break style. I expect them to force McCracken to earn their offensive points in methodical fashion. Can the Mustang defense do the same? If so, penalties become more significant as drive killers.

I think McCracken wins the game by winning the LOS. Most of these games have been shoot outs. This one feels more like a low 20’s type score.

McCracken County by 2

Series Mayfield (4-3)
2013 Mayfield 35-34 (@Mayfield)
2014 McCracken Co 38-37 OT   (@McCracken)
2015 McCracken Co 37-31 OT   (@Mayfield)
2016 Mayfield 46-41 (@McCracken)
2017 Mayfield 49-27 (@Mayfield)
2018 Mayfield 51-21 (@McCracken)
2019 McCracken Co 45-35   @Mayfield)
[-] The following 2 users Like Glory_Days's post:
  • SImpleplan, Westside
McCracken 38
Mayfield 35
I am a diehard Cardinal fan but I feel like this is an uphill battle for the Cards. Not an ideal foe for the first game and in the hot temp. conditions either. I sure hope i am wrong.
I'm going to have to go with what most of you all stating. I think McCracken County wins it.
All tickets available have been sold no sales at the gate, CDC guidelines in place, temp check, questions, social distance, assigned seats 35% capacity for the seats, pre- packaged concessions restrooms and hand sanitizer available, You are expected to leave when the game is over.. Gates open 2 hours before kickoff. No Horse play in the stadium. Take care stay safe.
I think James Top has a break out game and year along with Jax Rogers and Nat Watkins also Charlie Sims and Kylan Galbreath.Its as it always is when players graduate or get an injury its next man up its what the players know and the coaches expect.I think Mayfield comes in with the underdog chip on their shoulders and win 28 to 21!!!
Mayfield Cardinal, where is my son is 55?
(09-10-2020, 02:42 PM)blue55 Wrote: Mayfield Cardinal, where is my son is 55?
Tied up with work sadly
Please note this important information from McCracken Co. regarding Friday night's football game: There will be check points set up at the entrance of the school as people drive up. If you can’t produce a ticket or your name isn’t on the pass list you will be asked to turn around and leave........

...... well this adds some craziness to it.. 3,000 card fans that are chopping at the bit trying to get in the gate... humm wander if they will check the trunk..??‍♂️..

This should be a good game .... this team should always beat us.. always!!! If we had this talent walking our hallways the T's an X's would looking up at us not down... i hope one day MC gets a coach that can make something of them an keep the kids on the field an get 110% out of them.. until then I still gotta pull for the cards in shocking fashion
Does McCracken County live stream the games?
yes on YouTube bit/lyMCHSMedia
(09-11-2020, 12:49 PM)blue55 Wrote: yes on YouTube bit/lyMCHSMedia
Thanks.  This is the first year granddad hasn't been able to come to Kentucky for football season since Mom passed.  This will help him out a bunch even if the announcing is biased towards the "bad" guys.  Covid 19 sucks.
kyhog get on facebook and add Red Helmet Club there is supposed to be a stream of the game on their page on fb.
McCracken 42- Mayfield 7. Nobody saw this coming, McCracken defense with 2 interceptions for scores and scooped fumble for another score.