Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Somerset is Loaded
Been seeing a lot of pictures and video from Somerset practices, good grief they look like they ought to be playing in Conference USA.... Seriously they'll be loaded and I expect a repeat. Kaiya Sheron will be hard to slow down.
Oldtiger Wrote:Been seeing a lot of pictures and video from Somerset practices, good grief they look like they ought to be playing in Conference USA.... Seriously they'll be loaded and I expect a repeat. Kaiya Sheron will be hard to slow down.

I have to agree. Knowing what they have back and who all transferred in. They will be a load. Still have to line up and play. LCA and Danville in the district, no easy task. It would seem the only things to stope them is themselves or the Rona.:Clap::Clap:
Who transferred in ?
mountainman77 Wrote:Who transferred in ?

Chase Doan, Jackson Cooper, Michael Hawkins, Isaiah Coffey transfer in. Gavin Stephens a tall rangy receiver who did not play last year is out for team.
JustThinking Wrote:Chase Doan, Jackson Cooper, Michael Hawkins, Isaiah Coffey transfer in. Gavin Stephens a tall rangy receiver who did not play last year is out for team.

Only two of those are actually transfers to be fair, but all of them are great athletes.
Arguably the best 2 teams in 2A are in the same district. Thats a bummer.
JustThinking Wrote:Chase Doan, Jackson Cooper, Michael Hawkins, Isaiah Coffey transfer in. Gavin Stephens a tall rangy receiver who did not play last year is out for team.

I thought Cooper and Coffey were already at Somerset but just didn't play last year.
Guys, these players are crazy good athletes, but didn't play last year to play basketball/baseball are maybe better athletes then some that left. Down and Hawkins actually only transfers that played else where. Scary think is Somerset loaded without them. It's crazy how many Jrs, Soph, and freshman are return starters. LCA is good, but unlike last year can't match up man to man talent across the board. Brown's amazing, but Somerset backs are two all 4 of them. They just can't match Somersets offense against they're defense. Somersets Defense better then last year, of course they just about all return. Somerset 2nd team last year played more then most varsity's did at some schools. Versus Corbin Somerset beat Corbin without 3 starting lineman. They're 2nd team last year was every good. Also Somerset JV has not lost a game in 4 years.
foozeball80 Wrote:Guys, these players are crazy good athletes, but didn't play last year to play basketball/baseball are maybe better athletes then some that left. Down and Hawkins actually only transfers that played else where. Scary think is Somerset loaded without them. It's crazy how many Jrs, Soph, and freshman are return starters. LCA is good, but unlike last year can't match up man to man talent across the board. Brown's amazing, but Somerset backs are two all 4 of them. They just can't match Somersets offense against they're defense. Somersets Defense better then last year, of course they just about all return. Somerset 2nd team last year played more then most varsity's did at some schools. Versus Corbin Somerset beat Corbin without 3 starting lineman. They're 2nd team last year was every good. Also Somerset JV has not lost a game in 4 years.

LCA returns 10 defensive starters and 7 offensive starters with the replacements playing a lot of minutes last year. How do they not matchup well?
SayreSpartan2006 Wrote:LCA returns 10 defensive starters and 7 offensive starters with the replacements playing a lot of minutes last year. How do they not matchup well?

Last three games between Somerset and LCA have been decided by a total of 7 points. I think most people expect it to be competitive.
SayreSpartan2006 Wrote:LCA returns 10 defensive starters and 7 offensive starters with the replacements playing a lot of minutes last year. How do they not matchup well?

The vast majority of people know that both of these teams are beatable - I do think they’re the best two teams in 2A but I also understand Danville will be much improved and Beechwood was young last year (and they return a great QB).

I expect 2A to look a lot like last year, the top 5 are all very good then a drop off from there. Whoever wins The district with Danville, LCA and Somerset will likely be in the state finals if RPI is still Being used considering the corona delay.
I see The Jumpers are coming to face my Colonels to open the season :)
don't forget Mayfield. They'll have something to say about it
(08-13-2020, 04:01 PM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote: don't forget Mayfield.  They'll have something to say about it
 Nobody is forgetting Mayfield, or least they shouldn't be. They always have a say!
(08-13-2020, 09:40 PM)Cobraxx Wrote:
(08-13-2020, 04:01 PM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote: don't forget Mayfield.  They'll have something to say about it
 Nobody is forgetting Mayfield, or least they shouldn't be. They always have a say!

Offensively I don’t see how anyone will be able to stop Somerset!!
They are loaded ...
Too many weapons... Look for the jumpers to repeat “if we play” in 2020....
If I'm not mistaken, didn't Somerset graduate the majority of their offensive and defensive line from last year. I know they have one of their best lineman returning, but for some reason I thought the majority were seniors last year. I may be wrong.
(08-18-2020, 01:37 PM)Cat Daddy Wrote: If I'm not mistaken, didn't Somerset graduate the majority of their offensive and defensive line from last year.  I know they have one of their best lineman returning, but for some reason I thought the majority were seniors last year. I may be wrong.

They graduated three o linemen and one d linemen. They picked up 3 very athletic bigs during the offseason.
(08-18-2020, 01:37 PM)Cat Daddy Wrote: If I'm not mistaken, didn't Somerset graduate the majority of their offensive and defensive line from last year.  I know they have one of their best lineman returning, but for some reason I thought the majority were seniors last year. I may be wrong. Technically Somerset returns two of they're best OL, and they only lost 1 DL. They're returning 5-6 DL. They rotated lines for playtime because all were really good. The OL had so huge pickups to compliment Johnson, and Simmons on the OL. LCA, Danville, Beechwood may have one or two stars, but it won't be enough against this defense that will be even better, and faster this year, and without a few studs, stopping this high octane offense I'll be a difficult challenge for anyone.
[-] The following 1 user Likes foozeball80's post:
  • Deuce8
I’m not sure it’s 100 percent correct to say that Somerset is the favorite but they be there if the young talent fills the gaps. They’ll have a really good squad but the pieces lost from last season are going to have to be located. They’ll have some kids step up in each position but losing 24 seniors at the 2A level is pretty hard to overcome. That’s almost a 50 percent roster loss from the last season.

However, last season also had a very talented freshman group that had some of the kids see Varsity time and some that barely played. You add those guys and you add a few freshman that could see minutes and they’ll be a good squad.

Have to see what happens in a shortened season against some really tough competition. They come out with with anything less than 2 losses, I think then you can say they are a favorite. Gotta beat some teams that want to get some revenge from last season. (Williamsburg, Hazard, Danville, LCA, and Corbin)
They will be a tough out for anyone on their schedule.
[-] The following 1 user Likes New2Town's post:
  • Deuce8