Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prestonsburg 56 Betsy Layne 54 (2OT) 58th District
Final

Blackcats have been through so much this year. Had a player quit around the mid point of the season. Then lost their primary ball handler in Grant Justice in the All A and recently just had two starters quit the team. Just a lot for any team to overcome and the players left on the team stepped up and they’re playing some great team ball.

Grant Justice returned tonight when many thought he was done for the year and hits the game winning shot with 4 seconds to go.

Congrats Blackcats!!!
Final
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Grant Justice was the difference in this one. The team looks completely different when he’s leading the game.

Coach Short has me scratching my head with coaching late. At the end of the 4th quarter we call a TO to ice PBurg free throw shooter and you would think set up a last second shot with 14 seconds left. He makes the free throw to tie it, we throw it in and dribble at half court till 1.6 left on the clock and then Coach Short calls TO. Really odd coaching there

Next the exact same thing happens to end first OT, we have last second shot. Dribble the ball at the top of the key and wait till 6 seconds left to try to score. And then we settle for a 30 footer. Not even giving the ball to Frazier who is our best player going at the rim.

Congrats to the Blackcats! They deserved this one
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Brent rose coached on of the best games I’ve ever seen in my life. Lost two starters last Monday, played a huge amount of freshman who have never had real minutes. He gameplanned and coached his butt off and his kids fed off him. Blackcats deserved this one. BL ran zero offense refused to post up their 6”5 center even when Pburgs center fouled out. It was an absolute beat down from a coaching an effort stand point. Congrats Brent Rose and congrats Pburg
Tough loss for Betsy Lane
Tough loss to say the least for Betsy Layne. I have watched them a lot this year and they run no offense. When one of if not your top player in Frazier doesn’t touch the ball in either OT you have to scratch your head. Trying to hold the ball for long periods of time doesn’t work in HS.

I can not figure out when Rose fouls out why we never pounded it into Mims. Mims had 8 points in the first quarter and they never truly went back to him.
Blackcatdad Wrote:Tough loss to say the least for Betsy Layne. I have watched them a lot this year and they run no offense. When one of if not your top player in Frazier doesn’t touch the ball in either OT you have to scratch your head. Trying to hold the ball for long periods of time doesn’t work in HS.

I can not figure out when Rose fouls out why we never pounded it into Mims. Mims had 8 points in the first quarter and they never truly went back to him.
It’s par for the course. This is a top 5 team in the region talent wise and they just don’t run anything. They won’t guard either the only defense they know is a press that gives up layups. They did nothing out of the ordinary didn’t have anything saved came out were the predictable team they’ve been all year and ran into a prepared motivated team. They got tight and lost.
Also I think they should’ve played Rainey And Mims together with Frazier on the wing more often. Ohh well everyone has an opinion
I know some may say we are all coaches on here but I never could understand last mins of regular play and OTs BL never drove the ball specially when the tall kid from Prestonsburg went out. I don’t know what the deal was dribbling the ball down to 2 seconds. Congrats to Prestonsburg but neither team even ran an offense in OTs
SouthEast18 Wrote:It’s par for the course. This is a top 5 team in the region talent wise and they just don’t run anything. They won’t guard either the only defense they know is a press that gives up layups. They did nothing out of the ordinary didn’t have anything saved came out were the predictable team they’ve been all year and ran into a prepared motivated team. They got tight and lost.
Also I think they should’ve played Rainey And Mims together with Frazier on the wing more often. Ohh well everyone has an opinion

Same thing every year from BL and their fans. Coaches fault. Maybe they just have a few athletes and that's it. More to basketball than being able to jump. I don't see them as a Top 5 team talent wise when in the last two years that talent under achieves and don't have a significant win under their belt. Before the year started many local media outlets had BL as a darkhorse and I just didn't see it. These claims where based on a few summer ball games and that's it. You don't win district and Region titles in summer ball. BL now has missed the Region tournament for the 6th straight year. Until they beat someone of significance or even make the Region tournament I can't say they are even Top 8.
BoyWonder14 Wrote:Same thing every year from BL and their fans. Coaches fault. Maybe they just have a few athletes and that's it. More to basketball than being able to jump. I don't see them as a Top 5 team talent wise when in the last two years that talent under achieves and don't have a significant win under their belt. Before the year started many local media outlets had BL as a darkhorse and I just didn't see it. These claims where based on a few summer ball games and that's it. You don't win district and Region titles in summer ball. BL now has missed the Region tournament for the 6th straight year. Until they beat someone of significance or even make the Region tournament I can't say they are even Top 8.

I like some of your comments and disagree with some. BL has to win the district before they get mentioned in the Top 5 in the Region. Do they have the talent? YES. Did the both coaches and players make mistakes? YES. Did players not execute in the final minutes of the 4th and OT? YES.

The bottom line is until this team gets stronger both physically and mentally they will not win. We do not play fundamental basketball. We do not block out. Don’t play good defense. We don’t execute our offense. We have lost the last two games (Phelps and Pburg) for these reasons above.

The good thing is BL returns everyone for next year. The majority returns for two years. Our players and parents need to quit complaining and hit the gym and start preparing for next season. There is no reason this team should be buying tickets to watch games at the Expo.
Blackcatdad Wrote:I like some of your comments and disagree with some. BL has to win the district before they get mentioned in the Top 5 in the Region. Do they have the talent? YES. Did the both coaches and players make mistakes? YES. Did players not execute in the final minutes of the 4th and OT? YES.

The bottom line is until this team gets stronger both physically and mentally they will not win. We do not play fundamental basketball. We do not block out. Don’t play good defense. We don’t execute our offense. We have lost the last two games (Phelps and Pburg) for these reasons above.

The good thing is BL returns everyone for next year. The majority returns for two years. Our players and parents need to quit complaining and hit the gym and start preparing for next season. There is no reason this team should be buying tickets to watch games at the Expo.

I will add this. Seems that also need a floor leader out there. After Howell left the team it seemed like it was by committee and no true point guard. Justice was the difference in the game. He controlled everything for Pburg and it seemed BL lacked that.
BoyWonder14 Wrote:I will add this. Seems that also need a floor leader out there. After Howell left the team it seemed like it was by committee and no true point guard. Justice was the difference in the game. He controlled everything for Pburg and it seemed BL lacked that.

I’ll say it again since my last post was deleted. They have no one to run the floor and didn’t when Howell was there. They need a PG bad. They’ll never play up to their potential until some parents quit worrying about how many points their kids score, and stop pitting them against each other while off the floor. The whole world saw it at the end of regulation. One kid was gonna take that last shot no matter what, and when they doubled him up and jumped out on him he didn’t know what to do. He had 2 options as the clock run down and didn’t pass to either. That’s not from coaching, that’s from parents. If these 2 players and their parents don’t come together BL will not play to their potential til one graduates or leaves.

Some of BL better wins this season come when one of these 2 players were on the bench for the whole game. One missed Perry Central pre season game, the other missed Knott Co game. On the floor at the same time it’s a contest between the 2. It’ll be the same next year if the coach doesn’t address it.

As far as total team talent they are absolutely eat up with it, and it’ll all be back next year and year after. They just gotta get things in order or you’ll never see it.
I watched the game and I won’t lie.... Some of the OT decisions made by BL had me confused to say the least..
Great win for the blackcats. Congrats
[quote=BoyWonder14]Same thing every year from BL and their fans. Coaches fault. Maybe they just have a few athletes and that's it. More to basketball than being able to jump. I don't see them as a Top 5 team talent wise when in the last two years that talent under achieves and don't have a significant win under their belt. Before the year started many local media outlets had BL as a darkhorse and I just didn't see it. These claims where based on a few summer ball games and that's it. You don't win district and Region titles in summer ball. BL now has missed the Region tournament for the 6th straight year. Until they beat someone of significance or even make the Region tournament I can't say they are even Top 8

There’s no denying the talent. Sorry if you get offended when someone says other teams beside pikeville might actually have good players. They lost, but they’ll get it together Brady Robinson can do a whole lot more than jump if you pay attention.
SouthEast18 Wrote:[quote=BoyWonder14]Same thing every year from BL and their fans. Coaches fault. Maybe they just have a few athletes and that's it. More to basketball than being able to jump. I don't see them as a Top 5 team talent wise when in the last two years that talent under achieves and don't have a significant win under their belt. Before the year started many local media outlets had BL as a darkhorse and I just didn't see it. These claims where based on a few summer ball games and that's it. You don't win district and Region titles in summer ball. BL now has missed the Region tournament for the 6th straight year. Until they beat someone of significance or even make the Region tournament I can't say they are even Top 8

There’s no denying the talent. Sorry if you get offended when someone says other teams beside pikeville might actually have good players. They lost, but they’ll get it together Brady Robinson can do a whole lot more than jump if you pay attention.

I just dislike giving other teams all this praise when they haven't beat anyone. I never mention any kid by name you did that. The same kid you mention ditched his teammates when they needed him most against LC to go with the cheerleaders. Seems to me they are a lot of ME guys on that team. Last good team BL had was when N.Martin played. They actually won because they didn't care who scored the points they just wanted to win. Also Ric Flair said it best "To be the man you have to BEAT the man." Against the Region field this year they have beat PBurg twice but lost to them when it mattered most. I'll give this team credit when they actually accomplish something as a team instead of who scores the most points or takes the most shots. One more thing, Robinson may be able to do a little more than just jump. But until they get out of District or win a game in the All A most people won't get to see that. Maybe BL should take a good look in the mirror and instead of saying this team is loaded with talent, they should say what should we do as a TEAM to win.
BoyWonder14 Wrote:[quote=SouthEast18]

I just dislike giving other teams all this praise when they haven't beat anyone. I never mention any kid by name you did that. The same kid you mention ditched his teammates when they needed him most against LC to go with the cheerleaders. Seems to me they are a lot of ME guys on that team. Last good team BL had was when N.Martin played. They actually won because they didn't care who scored the points they just wanted to win. Also Ric Flair said it best "To be the man you have to BEAT the man." Against the Region field this year they have beat PBurg twice but lost to them when it mattered most. I'll give this team credit when they actually accomplish something as a team instead of who scores the most points or takes the most shots. One more thing, Robinson may be able to do a little more than just jump. But until they get out of District or win a game in the All A most people won't get to see that. Maybe BL should take a good look in the mirror and instead of saying this team is loaded with talent, they should say what should we do as a TEAM to win.

Last good team was when Martin played? Peyton case or Dylan Meade ring a bell? I appreciate you saying you want them all To succeed I’m cool with that.
I'll add this and leave it at that. I want all these kids to succeed. I wish BL nothing but the best. Region is better when all the teams are good. I just don't give all these teams credit when they haven't on anything yet. That is all.
SouthEast18 Wrote:[quote=BoyWonder14]

Last good team was when Martin played? Peyton case or Dylan Meade ring a bell? I appreciate you saying you want them all To succeed I’m cool with that.

We can keep going back and forth all day if you want to. Meade did make it to region his senior year but lost in first round. Case senior year they won 21 games but that team also under achieved and lost in first round of District. Meade Senior year is the last time BL has been to a Region tournament and that was in 2013/2014 and they lost by 19.
I'll end it on this note because it seems I'm coming across as if I dislike BL or other teams I've questioned such as Phelps. I don't have a child that goes to any of these schools. I'm a guy who loves mountain basketball. My only complaint with these teams is posters on here keep saying they are loaded with talent or region contenders. All im asking of these teams is beat one of the top dogs. Valley, Paintsville, MC, LC, JC and Pikeville. Until you beat one of those teams then I can't confidently say you're a Region contender.