Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethan Wolford Commits To University Of Charleston
Mountain Top Sports is reporting Belfry Offensive Lineman Ethan Wolford has committed to the University of Charleston.

Somebody has some explaining to do.
Westside Wrote:Mountain Sports is reporting Belfry Offensive Lineman Ethan Wolford has committed to the University of Charleston.

Somebody has some explaining to do.

Was he expected to go somewhere else? What do you mean?
Congratulations Ethan, University of Charleston got a very good player. Wish you the best and know you will give them the best.
Awesome, Congratulations!!!!
fansville Wrote:Was he expected to go somewhere else? What do you mean?

I thought he had committed to Concord before the season started.
Congratulations Ethan!! You will do great at Charleston :Cheerlead
Westside Wrote:I thought he had committed to Concord before the season started.

New coaching staff at Concord and he re-opened the recruiting process.
Thanks for all the kind words guys. Very much appreciated.

As for the "explaining to do" Westside, we'll there is none. A few months back Ethan committed 100% to Concord University. And I told him once he makes a commitment to someone he should never go back on his word. And he didnt. They did. At the end of the season, the head football coach resigned and when the new head man came in he let 90% of the old staff go. At that point all bets were off.

I told Ethan to wait and see if the new staff would at least reach out and talk to him and set up a meeting. They never did and he still to this day hasn't heard a word from them.

And as a parent, I thank the good Lord above this happened. I always wanted him to go to Charleston but he liked the O-Line coach at Concord and that's who he committed to. But the University of Charleston is a better football program and academic program. Their a D2 private University and the best part about the whole situation is the campus is only 81 miles from my driveway. It's far enough for him to live on campus and have the college experience but its close enough to where I can get to him fast if I have to.

This whole thing was a blessing for us. Really proud of Ethan. He's not only going to a winning program now (Concord was 1-9 the last 3 years) but UC just sent 3 players to the NFL this past year, one was drafted. So there's all around better opportunities for him there. As a Dad, I'm very happy things worked out the way it did.
Westside Wrote:I thought he had committed to Concord before the season started.

He did my friend. I explained what happened above. I thought about starting a thread when he decommited a few weeks ago to explain what happened but there's some on here who would of said that I was talking to much about my boy so I didn't. But like I said above, it all worked out for the best. Ethan committed to Concord for the wrong reasons. He committed to a coach instead of the program, which is never good. When he finally realized Dad was right, it was too late. I just thank God it worked out the way it did. Concord has finished 1-9 the last 3 years while the University of Charleston has been a top MEC team. They went 8-3 last year and just missed the playoffs. Great athletic program all around. Their mens basketball team is ranked #1 in the MEC right now, their womens team is ranked #2, and their mens soccer team is the 2 time D2 defending National Champions. Like I said, great athletic department. What I like most is it's a private school. Outstanding academic program.
#55PirateFan Wrote:Thanks for all the kind words guys. Very much appreciated.

As for the "explaining to do" Westside, we'll there is none. A few months back Ethan committed 100% to Concord University. And I told him once he makes a commitment to someone he should never go back on his word. And he didnt. They did. At the end of the season, the head football coach resigned and when the new head man came in he let 90% of the old staff go. At that point all bets were off.

I told Ethan to wait and see if the new staff would at least reach out and talk to him and set up a meeting. They never did and he still to this day hasn't heard a word from them.

And as a parent, I thank the good Lord above this happened. I always wanted him to go to Charleston but he liked the O-Line coach at Concord and that's who he committed to. But the University of Charleston is a better football program and academic program. Their a D2 private University and the best part about the whole situation is the campus is only 81 miles from my driveway. It's far enough for him to live on campus and have the college experience but its close enough to where I can get to him fast if I have to.

This whole thing was a blessing for us. Really proud of Ethan. He's not only going to a winning program now (Concord was 1-9 the last 3 years) but UC just sent 3 players to the NFL this past year, one was drafted. So there's all around better opportunities for him there. As a Dad, I'm very happy things worked out the way it did.

Congrats to you and Ethan, as long Ethan and his family are happy nothing else matters, best of luck to you all going forward....
single shot Wrote:Congrats to you and Ethan, as long Ethan and his family are happy nothing else matters, best of luck to you all going forward....

Thank you my friend. I appreciate that.
#55PirateFan Wrote:He did my friend. I explained what happened above. I thought about starting a thread when he decommited a few weeks ago to explain what happened but there's some on here who would of said that I was talking to much about my boy so I didn't. But like I said above, it all worked out for the best. Ethan committed to Concord for the wrong reasons. He committed to a coach instead of the team program, which is never good. I just thank God it worked out the way it did. When he finally realized Dad was right, it was to late. Concord has finished 1-9 the last 3 years while University of Charleston has been a top MEC team. They went 8-3 last year and just missed the playoffs. Great athletic program all around. Their mens basketball team is #1 in the MEC right now, their womens team is ranked #2, and their mens soccer team is the 2 time D2 defending National Champions. Like I said, great athletic department. What I like most is it's a private school. Outstanding academic program.

Well, he took a major step up IMO. As far as honoring past commitments, I used to think that way until it finally dawned on me that college football is business. The coaches are going to do what is best for them, and players should do what 'ś best for them. Congrats to Ethan.
Patriot1 Wrote:Congratulations Ethan, University of Charleston got a very good player. Wish you the best and know you will give them the best.

Thank you brother. Means alot. And congratulations to you as well. I hear your going to be a Demon Deacon fan for the next couple of years. So proud of Jackson. He will be a star down in Winston Salem. Can't wait to see him play down there.
Westside Wrote:Well, he took a major step up IMO. As far as honoring past commitments, I used to think that way until it finally dawned on me that college football is business. The coaches are going to do what is best for them, and players should do what 'ś best for them. Congrats to Ethan.

He did Westside. I think it was a HUGE step up too. And I'm not throwing off on Concord either, although it was a shame they didnt at least have the decency to call the kid and tell him they decided to go in a different direction. Still haven't heard from them! But UC is a much better place every way you look at it. I tried telling him that from day 1 but you know how kids are and it was his decision. The Lord works in mysterious ways, and brother I'm glad he does! 😂

And your right, it's definitely a business. But I've raised my boys and taught them that once you give someone your word, you stand by it. No matter what, good or bad, you should never go back on your word. Just not the way we raised them. But like I said, it worked out in the end and I'm very thankful it has.
Bull got out! Wrote:Awesome, Congratulations!!!!

Thanks buddy
64SUR Wrote:Congratulations Ethan!! You will do great at Charleston :Cheerlead

Thanks brother
Congrats big fella, best of luck!
Congrats big guy! I know you will do a great job at Charleston, and will be an integral part of their success. You've got the size, training, and the tools to do your part in helping the Golden Eagles enjoy winning seasons.
Good Luck to the boy on the field and in the classroom! I hope all works well for him!
Congratulations to Ethan and to you as well dad!!
congratulations! Wishing you good luck and much success at U of C. as I know you've earned the offer. No doubt, your Dad and family have to be proud of you
and we'll be hearing more about this mountain boy's success as the yrs. go by at U of C. Go gettem !
Congratulations to Ethan and good luck at University of Charleston. Also Charleston is Less than 100 miles from the Belfry area. About 86 miles. About 1 hour and half Drive on 119.
Bob Seger Wrote:Congratulations to Ethan and to you as well dad!!

Thanks Bob, really appreciate that my friend.