Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scott Grizzle New Head Coach At Hazard
The problem is he won’t have many Jimmy’s and Joe’s. They lost 9 seniors off a mediocre team and all of them were contributors on both sides of the ball. There Jr high team has been terrible the four years preceding the senior bunch that just graduated. Also they have always gotten a few kids from Perry and now possibly will lose some to Perry. Doesn’t matter who they would have hired I think they are in a downward spiral for a few years as all class A teams have every so often.
Mediocre team almost beat 2A state champ Somerset. They are gonna have to start recruiting better than Pikeville in order to compete with them.
Bulldogs4Ever Wrote:Mediocre team almost beat 2A state champ Somerset. They are gonna have to start recruiting better than Pikeville in order to compete with them.

Dude if this is the best you can do Hazard is in worse shape than I thought. If Grizzle beats Pikeville once in the next three years he should get a huge raise and a lifetime contract.
He has one thing right Jet. If they don’t find some players from somewhere he won’t be there long. They have lived off Perry players for along time and now that Dixon is there it will be the other way around.
Panthers dominate I hope you are right. I hope the Perry kids stay in Perry.
Pikeville fans flexing their muscles gotta love it.

No doubt Pikeville right now is way further a long than Hazard. I don’t exactly think the talent gap will be that far off in a couple or few years.

A few things in the program need cleaned up beginning in the weight room. And that ... is one reason Pikeville destroyed sooooo many teams this year. 1) weight lifting, 2) agility and 3) players committed to being great and putting in their own work

Takes things like that to build a program to its caliber. Runs like a well oiled small college program. Belfry/Johnson Central the other two programs who have that currently.

Grizzle must get the kids laser focused on the task at hand. Only time will tell if he can take the talent they have and mold it into something great.
A-Block Wrote:Pikeville fans flexing their muscles gotta love it.

No doubt Pikeville right now is way further a long than Hazard. I don’t exactly think the talent gap will be that far off in a couple or few years.

A few things in the program need cleaned up beginning in the weight room. And that ... is one reason Pikeville destroyed sooooo many teams this year. 1) weight lifting, 2) agility and 3) players committed to being great and putting in their own work

Takes things like that to build a program to its caliber. Runs like a well oiled small college program. Belfry/Johnson Central the other two programs who have that currently.

Grizzle must get the kids laser focused on the task at hand. Only time will tell if he can take the talent they have and mold it into something great.

Not flexing muscles but couldn't let a recruiting claim by a Hazard fan of all people slide lol...
I agree with the rest of your post though, but Pikeville's freshman class, plus returning QB, plus some other pretty good pieces they return will terrorize Class A for 3 more years at least. And they will be a load for the Belfrys of the world as well. Of course the huge talent gap over Hazard won't last forever. Hazard has had a ton of talent over the years. Just not the best time for Grizzle to start facing Pikeville twice a year. IMHO.
Congrats on the hire! Hope everything goes smooth!
Not sure If the gap will be like it was in 2019. I’ve not sit down and looked at the whole class yet, but Pikeville lost a lot of talent. Yes the have the quarterback back who is phenomenal, but not sure he will have such an absolute loaded class of wide receivers to throw to next season. He will have Lockhart kid or however you spell it. I actually look for Pikeville to switch more to the ground next season with the Wright kid.

Hazard does return some kids that should have what it takes to compete. So Don’t sleep on Hazard next season. But they do have to replace a lot of leadership from last season to make next season be successful.

But good luck to the new coach and I shall look foward to see the team for next season.
bac2369 Wrote:Not sure If the gap will be like it was in 2019. I’ve not sit down and looked at the whole class yet, but Pikeville lost a lot of talent. Yes the have the quarterback back who is phenomenal, but not sure he will have such an absolute loaded class of wide receivers to throw to next season. He will have Lockhart kid or however you spell it. I actually look for Pikeville to switch more to the ground next season with the Wright kid.

Hazard does return some kids that should have what it takes to compete. So Don’t sleep on Hazard next season. But they do have to replace a lot of leadership from last season to make next season be successful.

But good luck to the new coach and I shall look foward to see the team for next season.

Don't be surprised when you see that Pikeville will be more than capable of reaching Kroger next season. Panthers have some great talent coming back and coming up. I agree with jp, next few years will be a run thats gonna put some more trophies in the case. Stay tuned.
jetpilot Wrote:Not flexing muscles but couldn't let a recruiting claim by a Hazard fan of all people slide lol...
I agree with the rest of your post though, but Pikeville's freshman class, plus returning QB, plus some other pretty good pieces they return will terrorize Class A for 3 more years at least. And they will be a load for the Belfrys of the world as well. Of course the huge talent gap over Hazard won't last forever. Hazard has had a ton of talent over the years. Just not the best time for Grizzle to start facing Pikeville twice a year. IMHO.

Now wait just one minute here!! I take exception to you giving any school more credit for recruiting than Paintsville. We have worked hard to earn the distinction as the best 1A has to offer. That is all, carry on!

Hazard benefitted for a long time as the school with the best coach and history in the county. Hazard is going to, IMO, decline gradually over the next 2-5 years. Dixon isn’t going to lose players and probably gain some.
bac2369 Wrote:Not sure If the gap will be like it was in 2019. I’ve not sit down and looked at the whole class yet, but Pikeville lost a lot of talent. Yes the have the quarterback back who is phenomenal, but not sure he will have such an absolute loaded class of wide receivers to throw to next season. He will have Lockhart kid or however you spell it. I actually look for Pikeville to switch more to the ground next season with the Wright kid.

Wright will be a beast no doubt, but Pikeville won't abandon the passing game with a great passer at QB who just threw for 2500 yards and 32 TDs. According to KHSAA stats Pikeville ran the ball 58% and passed 42% in '19 (324 run, 235 pass.) I would look for about the same ratio, maybe a few more % runs but not much. Pikeville only threw 18 passes per game last year, that's not a huge number by any means. Receivers last year were a once in decades (or more) bunch, but MacNamee can really throw it and there will plenty of guys to throw to. All IMHO in the way too early bored with basketball mode lol.
jetpilot Wrote:Wright will be a beast no doubt, but Pikeville won't abandon the passing game with a great passer at QB who just threw for 2500 yards and 32 TDs. According to KHSAA stats Pikeville ran the ball 58% and passed 42% in '19 (324 run, 235 pass.) I would look for about the same ratio, maybe a few more % runs but not much. Pikeville only threw 18 passes per game last year, that's not a huge number by any means. Receivers last year were a once in decades (or more) bunch, but MacNamee can really throw it and there will plenty of guys to throw to. All IMHO in the way too early bored with basketball mode lol.

For high school- for teams that throw it a good amount and have success doing it (the key), that's about right.

High school programs average about 46-48 offensive snaps a game.

For comparison sake- Boyle County only was one better at 19 attempts/game. Corbin was at 17.5 attempts/game, Somerset at 17.6.

I have to remind myself of this as well, but these teams that go to the air more than others and win doing it aren't going full blown "bombs over baghdad-air raid" like perceived. All of those teams are in that 60-40 (CovCath is another in that 60/40) run/pass ratio, and many others who are competing for region/state titles are even further away from what most consider "balance" in that 70/30 (Trinity even is 65/35 run pass, Male being another 65/35), 80/20( Bell averaged 10 attempts/game- they were closer to the 75/25 ratio being 77/23), 90/10 (Johnson Central/Franklin Simpson of 4A in years pass) or like Belfry where it's almost completely 100% run.

Mayfield achieves "balance" more than anybody. They are almost 50/50, still slightly run "heavier". But even with that, they aren't averaging 20 passing attempts a game (19.2). Now, the argument against that is that a large amount of their games were running clocks, and in much tighter games they averaged 20+ attempts per game (ie: Madisonville & McCracken County, 31 attempts each game, going 1-1 in those. Hopkinsville was a tight win & 23 attempts.

That kind of got drawn out, but in the end, point being- even the teams that come to mind the most when going to the air...they really aren't putting it in the air as much as we think. Facts are facts, but averaging 20 passing attempts a game is hard to do, even for the teams who WIN going to the air more than others.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:For high school- for teams that throw it a good amount and have success doing it (the key), that's about right.

High school programs average about 46-48 offensive snaps a game.

For comparison sake- Boyle County only was one better at 19 attempts/game. Corbin was at 17.5 attempts/game, Somerset at 17.6.

I have to remind myself of this as well, but these teams that go to the air more than others and win doing it aren't going full blown "bombs over baghdad-air raid" like perceived. All of those teams are in that 60-40 (CovCath is another in that 60/40) run/pass ratio, and many others who are competing for region/state titles are even further away from what most consider "balance" in that 70/30 (Trinity even is 65/35 run pass, Male being another 65/35), 80/20( Bell averaged 10 attempts/game- they were closer to the 75/25 ratio being 77/23), 90/10 (Johnson Central/Franklin Simpson of 4A in years pass) or like Belfry where it's almost completely 100% run.

Mayfield achieves "balance" more than anybody. They are almost 50/50, still slightly run "heavier". But even with that, they aren't averaging 20 passing attempts a game (19.2). Now, the argument against that is that a large amount of their games were running clocks, and in much tighter games they averaged 20+ attempts per game (ie: Madisonville & McCracken County, 31 attempts each game, going 1-1 in those. Hopkinsville was a tight win & 23 attempts.

That kind of got drawn out, but in the end, point being- even the teams that come to mind the most when going to the air...they really aren't putting it in the air as much as we think. Facts are facts, but averaging 20 passing attempts a game is hard to do, even for the teams who WIN going to the air more than others.
Efficiency is the name of the game for teams that pass more than Belfry but want to win region/State championships. Young McNamee averaged 12.4 ANY/A. The NFL leader this year averaged 8.52 ANY/A. Joe Burrow had maybe the best college season of all time and he was 12.6 ANY/A
iam4thecats Wrote:efficiency is the name of the game for teams that pass more than belfry but want to win region/state championships. Young mcnamee averaged 12.4 any/a. The nfl leader this year averaged 8.52 any/a. Joe burrow had maybe the best college season of all time and he was 12.6 any/a

bingo.