Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Criteria for All-State, region, district etc teams
I think stats are by far the most important thing to get foot in the door. After that record, strength of schedule, common opponents to help with which stats are most impressive.
Great discussion topic. Can't wait to see some of the responses.
#55PirateFan Wrote:Great discussion topic. Can't wait to see some of the responses.

I was hoping it would be a bigger hit than it’s started off!
I know that not all, if any, people will agree with this. Don't really care. I don't like the newspaper voted All State teams for high school football. It seems like teams that are in areas of newspaper sales tend to be higher vote getters than areas that do not have voting newspaper journalists. I know that the coach voted All State teams also tend to get some "buddy-buddy you vote for my kid and I'll sling a vote your way as well for yours" all-state teams. I don't think there is a fool proof system for voting for kids. I do think there are kids on teams with less than stellar records that should get all-state votes because you can see some of these kids slide through the cracks of anonymity, and then prove themselves in college. I know of one kid, not locally, that was on a break even record and even less team that went to Eastern Michigan on a scholarship and wound up playing for the Cowboys in the NFL. I think he was voted all district and nothing more. I think that there are legitimate stars that are no brainers for either system of all state voting that might not see the love they should, but, there are some kids that are also not noticed that should probably see more love than they get as well. I like the coach voted teams better if I had to pick one way or another because if a coach is being honest, he is voting for kids that his team had to game plan around, kids he had to avoid, because they could throw a monkey wrench in their plans. The kid that your run your offense away from because he is a bull on the defensive side. The kid that you have to kick the ball away from because you want to limit touches. The offensive lineman that you have to plan your defense scheme around because they have to be doubled up on defensively to slow the running game down. Those are the kids that I would call all-state.
footballfever Wrote:I think stats are by far the most important thing to get foot in the door. After that record, strength of schedule, common opponents to help with which stats are most impressive.

Agree and disagree. For starters, these are all individual awards. Stats are definitely the most important, agreed. To an extent, the strength of schedule should be considered, TO AN EXTENT. TEAM record, IMO, you can throw that out the window. You can have the best player in the state (Rondale Robinson last year) and his TEAM not be very good. That player still puts up the stats, even though every team on their schedule keys on him, that player shouldn’t be punished.
Redneck Wrote:Agree and disagree. For starters, these are all individual awards. Stats are definitely the most important, agreed. To an extent, the strength of schedule should be considered, TO AN EXTENT. TEAM record, IMO, you can throw that out the window. You can have the best player in the state (Rondale Robinson last year) and his TEAM not be very good. That player still puts up the stats, even though every team on their schedule keys on him, that player shouldn’t be punished.

But you can't use stats alone either. If you did, how would you chose linemen?
The best criteria is that parents don't get a vote.
Real Badman Wrote:The best criteria is that parents don't get a vote.

Ok. Now that you've brought it up, please explain. Do you know of parents being on the Courier Journal or AP All State team boards? As far as I know, this is a good question and doesn't break any rules. Your talking about a parent, not an athlete. But I would also agree and disagree personally.

If you are the parent of Michael Mayer and your on the board and you vote for him to be 1st team all state you have every right to. Wouldn't you agree? Same thing if your on the board and are the parent of one of the other top players in the state. Now if you're talking about an athlete that has no business being anywhere on the C. J. and A.P. teams, especially somewhere other than Honorable Mention then you may have a point. And I'd more than likely agree.

You made the comment so you must know something. What's going on? And as far as I can tell, the 2019 C.J. team had some players that maybe were questionable at certain places but none was far fetched and didn't belong somewhere on their list. I thought the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd teams were pretty accurate except for maybe a 1st teamer and a 2nd teamer or a 2nd and 3rd cound have been flipped hear or there but for the most part the top players were on the three teams. The AP hasn't been released yet so I just assume the C.J. is what your talking about. If your referring to the All District teams, isn't that only done by coaches? Im asking because I really don't know. That's just what I've always heard. Dont really know for sure. Fill us in on what you know.
I never even saw the all district teams come out
CardinalAlum Wrote:I never even saw the all district teams come out

Yeah, it was released a couple weeks ago. It was in the Williamson Daily News on Dec. 19th, I believe. I'm only talking about 3A Region 4, District 8. Not sure about any of the others.
#55PirateFan Wrote:Yeah, it was released a couple weeks ago. It was in the Williamson Daily News on Dec. 19th, I believe. I'm only talking about 3A Region 4, District 8. Not sure about any of the others.

I never saw anything released for ours in 2A
CardinalAlum Wrote:I never saw anything released for ours in 2A

Me either, for any district in 2A.