Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State Champions 2020
Happy New Year🇺🇸. Predict the state champion in classes A-6A in 2020.
A- Pikeville
AA- Somerset
AAA- Belfry
AAAA- Johnson Central
AAAAA- Frederick Douglass
AAAAAA- Trinity
A pikeville
AA Mayfield
AAA Belfry
AAAA Johnson Central
AAAAA Fredrick Douglas
AAAAAA Trinity
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Spud6 Wrote:A pikeville
AA Mayfield
AAA Belfry
AAAA Johnson Central
AAAAA Fredrick Douglas
AAAAAA Trinity

Pretty spot on don’t think anyone will have much for Pikeville, 2A will come down to Mayfield or Somerset again, hard to pick against Belfry, Johnson Central maybe on a similar Belfry run, Gotta disagree Cov Cath is in FD’s head they shoulda won it this year..., It’s Trinity...
While I think Pikeville, Mayfield, and Belfry are all very, very slim favorites in their classes to repeat, I believe J.C., Frederick Douglas, and Trinity may have easier paths to the championship next year and will be much more favored in their respected classes, IMO. Although I'd pick Pikeville, Mayfield, and Belfry as my pre-season favorites I wouldn't be shocked at all if they didn't win it in 2020 or even make it to the championship game.

1A - Pikeville won't even come close to dominating 1A like they did this year. They lose quite a bit but they still have some studs coming back. With MacNamee still under center, the Panthers are a threat regardless of who they play. The kid is special! Who knows, it could very well come down to an all Eastern Kentucky final again, but I doubt it; other teams to keep an eye on in 1A is Paintsville, Newport Central, Raceland, Hazard, and Williamsburg.

2A - Mayfield is always up there but their going to have to find a replacement for stud QB Jayden Stinson. The kid was a star for the Cardinals and will be hard to replace. But, in the end, it's still Mayfield and they always find a way; with that said, they still have the defending champs Somerset to deal with along with Breathitt County, LCA, Owensboro Catholic, who all will be contenders. (Two teams to pay close attention to will be Beechwood and Danville. Both had rebuilding years last year but you can guarantee they'll be back in the mix in 2020). 2A may be the most competitive class in the state next fall, IMO.

3A - Belfry loses a MONSTER class to graduation. This group of seniors are the last to have won a middle school championship and are the last to have played with that dominant 2016 class that won 4 straight state titles. But the Pirates still have some studs returning. QB Brett Coleman, RB Isaac Dixon, DE Brad Lowe, DE Rudy Blackwell, and LB Seth Mounts will lead the charge for the Pirates and will make a strong push to make it "back to back" championships for Belfry again. (NOTE: Belfry has always won at least two in a row everytime they've won a championship, so the odds may be in their favor, LOL). The Pirates offensive line lose only one starter to graduation, Center Ethan Wolford, and they will be alot better starting off next season than they were at the start of this season. These guys helped block for three 1,000 yard rushers this past season and will have plenty of experience coming back. If they can find a center to anchor the O-Line the way Wolford has done the last three years then they may very well be one of the best lines in 3A again; I look for teams like Bell County, Ashland, DeSales, E-Town, and P.T. to all be in the mix again next year. Also, watch out for Wayne County. Anytime you have a player like Braedon Sloan in the backfield anything is possible! Like 2A, this class could also be very, very competitive in 2020.

4A - Johnson Central, like Belfry, loses a ton of good/great players. But they too have some studs coming back and the stable is full of young and eager Golden Eagles ready to step in and take over. I think JC will be more favorable than the first three classes are next year because they were hardly even challenged this past year until the championship game against Boyle County, who loses a TON!; still I look for teams like Corbin, Central, and Boyle to make it a challenge for the Eagles. (Corbin will be a team to pay close attention to next year in 4A).

5A - (I don't know very much about this class) but I do believe 2020 will be the year for Frederick Douglas. With their "headache" Mr. Football now headed off to college, 2020 will be the "year of the Bronco" in 5A, IMO; other teams to watch for will be Bowling Green, Owensboro, Scott County, and Covington Catholic.

6A - (I know even less about this class) Trinity is Trinity! They always have been and always will be the favorite, most years anyway, in 6A until something drastically changes; but you still have some heavy hitters in 6A that will always challenge them like Male, St. X, North Hardin, and a few others.
WestCarterComet Wrote:A- Pikeville
AA- Somerset
AAA- Belfry
AAAA- Johnson Central
AAAAA- Frederick Douglass
AAAAAA- Trinity

All of these have a shot and may even be the favorites, but I would be shocked if 5 of six classes had repeat champions.
#55PirateFan Wrote:While I think Pikeville, Mayfield, and Belfry are all very, very slim favorites in their classes to repeat, I believe J.C., Frederick Douglas, and Trinity may have easier paths to the championship next year and will be much more favored in their respected classes, IMO. Although I'd pick Pikeville, Mayfield, and Belfry as my pre-season favorites I wouldn't be shocked at all if they didn't win it in 2020 or even make it to the championship game.

1A - Pikeville won't even come close to dominating 1A like they did this year. They lose quite a bit but they still have some studs coming back. With MacNamee still under center, the Panthers are a threat regardless of who they play. The kid is special! Who knows, it could very well come down to an all Eastern Kentucky final again, but I doubt it; other teams to keep an eye on in 1A is Paintsville, Newport Central, Raceland, Hazard, and Williamsburg.

2A - Mayfield is always up there but their going to have to find a replacement for stud QB Jayden Stinson. The kid was a star for the Cardinals and will be hard to replace. But, in the end, it's still Mayfield and they always find a way; with that said, they still have the defending champs Somerset to deal with along with Breathitt County, LCA, Owensboro Catholic, who all will be contenders. (Two teams to pay close attention to will be Beechwood and Danville. Both had rebuilding years last year but you can guarantee they'll be back in the mix in 2020). 2A may be the most competitive class in the state next fall, IMO.

3A - Belfry loses a MONSTER class to graduation. This group of seniors are the last to have won a middle school championship and are the last to have played with that dominant 2016 class that won 4 straight state titles. But the Pirates still have some studs returning. QB Brett Coleman, RB Isaac Dixon, DE Brad Lowe, DE Rudy Blackwell, and LB Seth Mounts will lead the charge for the Pirates and will make a strong push to make it "back to back" championships for Belfry again. (NOTE: Belfry has always won at least two in a row everytime they've won a championship, so the odds may be in their favor, LOL). The Pirates offensive line lose only one starter to graduation, Center Ethan Wolford, and they will be alot better starting off next season than they were at the start of this season. These guys helped block for three 1,000 yard rushers this past season and will have plenty of experience coming back. If they can find a center to anchor the O-Line the way Wolford has done the last three years then they may very well be one of the best lines in 3A again; I look for teams like Bell County, Ashland, DeSales, E-Town, and P.T. to all be in the mix again next year. Also, watch out for Wayne County. Anytime you have a player like Braedon Sloan in the backfield anything is possible! Like 2A, this class could also be very, very competitive in 2020.

4A - Johnson Central, like Belfry, loses a ton of good/great players. But they too have some studs coming back and the stable is full of young and eager Golden Eagles ready to step in and take over. I think JC will be more favorable than the first three classes are next year because they were hardly even challenged this past year until the championship game against Boyle County, who loses a TON!; still I look for teams like Corbin, Central, and Boyle to make it a challenge for the Eagles. (Corbin will be a team to pay close attention to next year in 4A).

5A - (I don't know very much about this class) but I do believe 2020 will be the year for Frederick Douglas. With their "headache" Mr. Football now headed off to college, 2020 will be the "year of the Bronco" in 5A, IMO; other teams to watch for will be Bowling Green, Owensboro, Scott County, and Covington Catholic.

6A - (I know even less about this class) Trinity is Trinity! They always have been and always will be the favorite, most years anyway, in 6A until something drastically changes; but you still have some heavy hitters in 6A that will always challenge them like Male, St. X, North Hardin, and a few others.

I agree with everything here except I don’t see Raceland or Danville being in competition for a title in their class. I also expect Ashland to take a step back.
fridaynightfights Wrote:All of these have a shot and may even be the favorites, but I would be shocked if 5 of six classes had repeat champions.

I feel more confident in Pikeville and Trinity repeating than I do Somerset, Belfry, and Johnson Central.
2A will come out of district 4. Somerset is loaded again. Out of 24 seniors only about 10 actually played. The skill is spot on, but will have a few holes to fill on the line, but have 2 or 3 young guys that got a lot of action to fill does spots. The Jumpers defense will be as good if not better returning the Defense line 2 out of 4 starting LBs, and 2 seasoned MLBs. Grundy, Sheron, Gilmore, Benito and a few more the secondary will be very nice. I still fill Danville, and LCA are a year away. Breathitt, well I'm not a BC hater, but with out Collins and some others they lose I just don't see them competing with Somerset, Danville or LCA I don't care how many they try to bring in, but should have a nice line, and should be in Regionals again pending what Middlesboro does after a year under French.
Mayfield is a class act, but I feel 3 and out at Kroger with the talent they are losing may open up some teams out of the West to surprise some people like Murry, and OC. Beechwood will be better, but still missing some key spots unless they fill them. Could easily be a rematch year of Somerset and the Beechies from week 3 game at Kroger. 1A is a toss up many of the top 10 are losing a lot of talent so big toss up, but going with Pikeville or Paintsville. 3A Belfry, 4A Wayne County (just got a feeling on the cards) 5A Fredrick Douglas is reloading, and I see some transfers lol, 6A I'm staying with the Shamrocks.
fridaynightfights Wrote:All of these have a shot and may even be the favorites, but I would be shocked if 5 of six classes had repeat champions.

I don't think there will be 5 out of 6 repeats either. I listed mine just as something to gauge off of for the preseason.
#55PirateFan Wrote:While I think Pikeville, Mayfield, and Belfry are all very, very slim favorites in their classes to repeat, I believe J.C., Frederick Douglas, and Trinity may have easier paths to the championship next year and will be much more favored in their respected classes, IMO. Although I'd pick Pikeville, Mayfield, and Belfry as my pre-season favorites I wouldn't be shocked at all if they didn't win it in 2020 or even make it to the championship game.

I pretty much agree with you 1A I don’t think Pikeville will dominate but I don’t think they’ll have a problem repeating either...2A is gonna be Mayfield and Somerset, LCA has an outside chance but I doubt it and I think Danville is another year away...DeSales is the only one gonna challenge Belfry unless Dudley can find a replacement for Stephney, which won’t be easy but it’s still Dudley (if I was selling polished turds he’d be my highest paid employee)not sure what Taylor has coming back they could cause some indigestion...I kind of agree with you about Corbin but we got some kids gonna have to grow up fast especially along the line, there’s a couple who will be sophomores who could be huge but from what I’m hearing one had major knee surgery and no one I’ve talked to knows how his recovery is going...Johnson Central seems like they’re more wash rinse repeat at the moment...To much inconsistency from FD for me to bet on them, I don’t really have a favorite in 5A but if South Warren keeps their coach I wouldn’t overlook them either...It’s Trinity if I was betting it wouldn’t be against them...

I totally forgot to put that the Pirates will also be losing one of their starting Tackles, Sean Cochran, to graduation. Sean started every game for the Pirates this year and will hurt Belfry as well on the O-Line next season. But I still think the Pirate offensive line will be in good shape come next fall. There were alot of big guys who got alot of quality minutes this year that'll be ready to step right in. Last year we only had one returning starter back on the line and you see how that turned out. Next year we'll have three returning starters and a few big bodies chomping at the bit to take over the voids left by Wolford and Cochran.

wayne isn't 3a .. they're 4a they won their district (lincoln, corbin, knox) and got beat out by johnson central

other than that pretty solid breakdown
Pikeville loses a lot but they have a TON of young talent replacing them. Panthers will be just fine come playoff time next year and actually will surprise some people. These next four classes have a great mix of skill levels layers and lineman. Some of these young skill guys are gonna blow people’s minds when they get rolling next year.
WhomTheBellTolls Wrote:wayne isn't 3a .. they're 4a they won their district (lincoln, corbin, knox) and got beat out by johnson central

other than that pretty solid breakdown

Yeah I know. I went back and added that part and put it in the wrong part. My bad. Lol!
How many return for Johnson Central?

Boyle, despite the great talent that graduated, are returning a pretty solid squad.

If memory serves, the OLine pretty much returns. McDaniel at RB. Some receivers. One of the best Defensive Lineman in the State returns at DE as a Sophomore.
[quote=single shot]...I kind of agree with you about Corbin but we got some kids gonna have to grow up fast especially along the line, there’s a couple who will be sophomores who could be huge but from what I’m hearing one had major knee surgery and no one I’ve talked to knows how his recovery is going...Johnson Central seems like they’re more wash rinse repeat at the moment...
QUOTE]
The Corbin lineman that had surgery will be ready. His recovery so far has been just as expected. I don't see any setbacks myself. He is expected to have a full recovery and be as good as new. :1:
Bull got out! Wrote:[quote=single shot]...I kind of agree with you about Corbin but we got some kids gonna have to grow up fast especially along the line, there’s a couple who will be sophomores who could be huge but from what I’m hearing one had major knee surgery and no one I’ve talked to knows how his recovery is going...Johnson Central seems like they’re more wash rinse repeat at the moment...
QUOTE]
The Corbin lineman that had surgery will be ready. His recovery so far has been just as expected. I don't see any setbacks myself. He is expected to have a full recovery and be as good as new. :1:

That's good news! These type of recovery stories are always great to hear. Glad this young man will make a full recovery and be able to continue playing football.
Bull got out! Wrote:[quote=single shot]...I kind of agree with you about Corbin but we got some kids gonna have to grow up fast especially along the line, there’s a couple who will be sophomores who could be huge but from what I’m hearing one had major knee surgery and no one I’ve talked to knows how his recovery is going...Johnson Central seems like they’re more wash rinse repeat at the moment...
QUOTE]

That’s awesome glad to hear it...
#55PirateFan Wrote:[quote=Bull got out!]

That's good news! These type of recovery stories are always great to hear. Glad this young man will make a full recovery and be able to continue playing football.

Thanks #55PirateFan. I hated that he had to go through with it, but it was necessary. We figured now was the time to get it over with, and then back to preparation for his senior season. He is in good spirits though. We got a good team coming back for 2020. I'm very excited for them. Last year was just mainly a learning curve. I feel like the east has one of 3 teams, being Johnson Central, Wayne and or Corbin that will bring home the hardware. The kids will settle it on the field, but I like our chances.
Kind of off subject but anybody heard anything from Hound 05 I’ve not seen him go this long without posting since he joined...
1a - pikeville paintsville final again
2a - whoever comes out of somersets district will win it
3a - if we can replace london i think we can make another run at it but will have to come better prepared to take down belfry
4a - johnson will win 4a easy but think central makes it next year
5a - fd
6a - trinity
WhomTheBellTolls Wrote:1a - pikeville paintsville final again
2a - whoever comes out of somersets district will win it
3a - if we can replace london i think we can make another run at it but will have to come better prepared to take down belfry
4a - johnson will win 4a easy but think central makes it next year
5a - fd
6a - trinity

I asked earlier. Who does Johnson Central return?
Looked it up as best I could.

Eagles return 4/5 Oline starters.
1 starter in backfield returns.
A Couple of receivers.

DLine 3/5 starters return.
1/2 LB are back
2/4 DB’s return.

Lose their kicker.

7 on Offense
6 on Defense.
Boyle seems to return

3/5 OLine return

1 RB.

3 receivers with experience but this is where the greatest graduation depth was lost.

Defense

2/4 on DLine with the DE a Division 1 prospect.

Lost all starting LB’s.

Lost 3/4 Defensive Backs.

So return 4 starters on Offense

Return 3 starters on Defense.

Plus Division 1 Prospect Kicker.