Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lexington Herald Leader's 2019 Class Of The Bluegrass
The following is the Lexington Herald Leader's 2019 Class Of The Bluegrass. I encourage you to follow the link at the bottom. On Lexington Herald Leader's website, each athlete has a small profile.

"All choices were made by Herald-Leader digital sports writer Jared Peck using criteria that included: career statistics and accomplishments, senior-season stats and accomplishments, recruiting rankings, advancement in the postseason and any other notable accomplishments in athletics.

Each of the 12 state finalist teams were guaranteed at least one selection. Ten honorable mentions were also named. Players are listed in alphabetical order."

2019 CLASS OF THE COMMONWEALTH
* On a state finalist team.

BEAU ALLEN, LEXINGTON CATHOLIC
Position: Quarterback.

JASE BRUNER, SOMERSET*
Position: Linebacker/Running back.

CHARLES ‘C.A.’ COLLINS, BREATHITT COUNTY
Position: Running back.

IZAYAH CUMMINGS, MALE*
Position: Wide receiver.

LUKE DUBY, TATES CREEK

GAVIN GEORGE, CENTRAL HARDIN
Position: Wide receiver

JACKSON HENSLEY, PIKEVILLE*

PEYTON HENSLEY, BELFRY*

JERIAH HIGHTOWER, MADISONVILLE

BRADY HOLLERAN, FRANKLIN COUNTY
Position: Defensive line.

DEVIN JOHNSON, JOHNSON CENTRAL*
Position: Running back/Linebacker.

JOE KUERZI, MALE*
Position: Linebacker.

REED LANTER, BOYLE COUNTY*

JONATHAN MAHER, FLEMING COUNTY
Position: Quarterback/Linebacker.

MICHAEL MAYER, COVINGTON CATHOLIC*
Position: Tight end/Linebacker.

RYAN MILLER, TRINITY*

OCTAVIOUS OXENDINE, NORTH HARDIN
Position: Defensive line.

WALKER PARKS, FREDERICK DOUGLASS*
Position: Offensive line/Defensive line.

JOHN WALKER PHELPS, PAINTSVILLE*
Position: Running back/Defensive back.

DEMETRI SCOTT, DESALES
Position: Defensive line/Tight end.

JAKE SLOAN, PULASKI COUNTY

MILES THOMAS, TATES CREEK

REESE SMITH, BOYLE COUNTY*
Position: Wide receiver/Defensive back.

LONDON STEPHNEY, BELL COUNTY*

JAYDEN STINSON, MAYFIELD*

HONORABLE MENTION
Hagan Edge, Owensboro Catholic, wide receiver.

Tre Goodin, Taylor County, defensive back/running back.

Drew Hartz, Owensboro Catholic, quarterback.

Dorian Heard, Kentucky Country Day, running back.

Dane Jackson, Madison Southern, center/defensive lineman.

Devin Neal, Frederick Douglass*, safety/running back.

Dalton Ponder, Williamsburg, quarterback.

DeAirious Smith, Lexington Christian, wide receiver.

Austin Taylor, Scott County, offensive line.

Vito Tisdale, Bowling Green, defensive back.

John Young, Christian Academy-Louisville, offensive line.

https://www.kentucky.com/sports/high-sch...3Dqn_HTYzU
Congratulations to all these fine athletes and outstanding young men!
How many offensive lineman made the list? They should do a separate list just for offensive lineman.
Westside Wrote:How many offensive lineman made the list? They should do a separate list just for offensive lineman.

Looks like four offensive linemen made it. And four damn good ones too, IMO.

But I am surprised Jager Burton isn't on there though.
what is this exactly?
#55PirateFan Wrote:Looks like four offensive linemen made it. And four damn good ones too, IMO.

Believe it’s only seniors. Braedon Sloan jumped on my mind as a snub until I remembered it was seniors only.
Looks good to me.
Any All-State list that doesn't have Ryley Preece from JC on their 1st team is :flush:
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Any All-State list that doesn't have Ryley Preece from JC on their 1st team is :flush:

Awesome player/winner that is probably deserving but because he did not make the list should not diminish the accomplishments of those that did make it. This list is not your typical All State list. It is intended to highlight the Herald Leaders choices for the top 25 seniors in the state regardless of position.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Any All-State list that doesn't have Ryley Preece from JC on their 1st team is :flush:

Frank Martin Wrote:Awesome player/winner that is probably deserving but because he did not make the list should not diminish the accomplishments of those that did make it. This list is not your typical All State list. It is intended to highlight the Herald Leaders choices for the top 25 seniors in the state regardless of position.

Congrats to the players that made it, well deserved to those involved.

A better way to put it, those that voted on this list is :flush:.
Ryley would be a starter for any team in any class. Maybe not as a QB, but Ryley would be in the starting lineup. Any of the other eleven teams that were in the state finals would have him on their 1st team Off. and/or Def.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Congratulations to London Stephney! Definitely earned. Great honor.
#55PirateFan Wrote:Looks like four offensive linemen made it. And four damn good ones too, IMO.

I think Wilson Kelly is also missing.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Congrats to the players that made it, well deserved to those involved.

A better way to put it, those that voted on this list is :flush:.
Ryley would be a starter for any team in any class. Maybe not as a QB, but Ryley would be in the starting lineup. Any of the other eleven teams that were in the state finals would have him on their 1st team Off. and/or Def.

I love Ryley and will champion him as much as anyone, but this (advocating he should be 1st Team All-State) is a hard argument to make or have a leg to stand on.

Ryley is as good of an option QB you will find and a really darn good DB. Unfortunately, most of these teams don't list "ATH" as a position. He either has to be weighed as a QB or DB. You will have one and at most two QB's capable of All-State 1st Team and lets be frank, he isn't and shouldn't be beating out guys like Beau Allen or any of the other elite passers.

As a DB you have at most four or five spots. With Tisdale from Bowling Green and the Lovett kid from North Hardin that is more like two or three spots. Can you make an argument Ryley is one of the ten best DB's in Kentucky? Sure.. but it is hard to put him in those final two or three spots.

Now if someone just had a chance to pick the Top 30 overall football players with no cap on positions, I think it is hard to omit Ryley. I know I sure wouldn't if I had a vote. Yet, saying a list is crap because he isn't First Team is not taking into account the handicaps of putting a list together.

Would he start on any team in Kentucky as teams are presently constructed? Absolutely! You wont see me argue otherwise.

But if you had a choice of every single player in the State and could only choose 30 or so positional players to build two starting lineups including lines I am not sure he makes that first cut.

In your defense, I will say I would choose Ryley over some of the guys on the LHL list if that is any sort of consolation though!
I think if 25 people made a list, there would be 25 different list and 25 very good opinions to back up each guys reasons why they put those particular kids on there list.....

That's why in some ways I think you cant do a whole state list for all classes and then have 6 different champions......

It takes some special kids to make 6 different championship games to happen to not be mentioned....

I think every class should have its all state teams and honorable mention. Just too many kids getting left out.
I will say congratulations to the kids who made this List.
Congrats to these young men. Quite an honor for them, and it goes to show all that hard work and dedication paid off.
Why is there 8 QBs I don’t get it
Real Badman Wrote:Why is there 8 QBs I don’t get it

The list is top 25 plus HM (seniors) regardless of position.
Bull got out! Wrote:I think if 25 people made a list, there would be 25 different list and 25 very good opinions to back up each guys reasons why they put those particular kids on there list.....

That's why in some ways I think you cant do a whole state list for all classes and then have 6 different champions......

It takes some special kids to make 6 different championship games to happen to not be mentioned....

I think every class should have its all state teams and honorable mention. Just too many kids getting left out.

Absolutely. Mo’ trophies, please!
Gitback Coach Wrote:Absolutely. Mo’ trophies, please!

If there were more schools/classes, yes

I believe Texas does it that way.
Real Badman Wrote:Why is there 8 QBs I don’t get it

Me either.
Real Badman Wrote:If there were more schools/classes, yes

I believe Texas does it that way.

Texas also has 863 HS football teams—and they place 69 to 100+ teams in each of its 12 different classifications. In KY, our MOST populated classification (5A) has 40 teams.

KY and TX high school football never belong in the same sentence...like comparing apples to nuclear warheads. KY should have three separate football classifications, tops. But I get it...mo’ trophies, mo’ money.
Gitback Coach Wrote:Texas also has 863 HS football teams—and they place 69 to 100+ teams in each of its 12 different classifications. In KY, our MOST populated classification (5A) has 40 teams.

KY and TX high school football never belong in the same sentence...like comparing apples to nuclear warheads. KY should have three separate football classifications, tops. But I get it...mo’ trophies, mo’ money.

I agree. The county I was born in has 14 football playing schools. This is Calhoun Co in Alabama. 7 classes in Alabama (718). No way Ky should have 6.
Mayfieldsportsfan Wrote:I agree. The county I was born in has 14 football playing schools. This is Calhoun Co in Alabama. 7 classes in Alabama (718). No way Ky should have 6.

Of course Alabama only has 67 counties so there should be more schools per county. 120 countries in Kentucky is a ridiculous amount. But that's another matter. Heck, California only has 58 counties.
Kentucky should be a 4 or 5-class State, but six are too many. I personally think 4 is the right size, but if you had a 4-class system the complaints about Trinity, Male, and X would be wilder than they even are now.

The Jefferson County schools create an interesting dynamic that prohibits three classes from being realistic and actually almost forces it to be a 4 or 5 class minimum.

It's not like Kentucky is necessarily out of line with other states. The only states with 3-classes are:
Vermont, West Virginia, North Dakota, Montana, Hawaii, and Alaska

Delaware only has two classes.

Similar states to Kentucky:
Louisiana= 5 Public Classes, 4 Privates
Oregon= Technically 6 Classes, but 1A is 8-Man so Five Classes
Oklahoma= A ton... Technically they have like 9 classes, not sure which is 8-man or not.
South Carolina= 5 Public Classes, 3 Privates

If I had my ideal set-up:
1A (Public Only)
2A (Public Only)
OPEN SMALL SCHOOL
3A (Public Only)
OPEN LARGE SCHOOL

You would have five total classes, with three of them being for public schools only based off enrollment the way we currently do it.

You would also have two open classes.

The small school open is for any Private School that falls under 1A or 2A, this is the only class they are allowed to compete for a title in unless they play up. Additionally, any public 1A or 2A school can choose to compete in the Open Division as long as they make a 4-year commitment. Additionally, if you reach the finals in a public only 1A or 2A four times in a four year window, you automatically must move into the Open Division for a year commitment. Once a new team moves into the Open Class another Public school can petition to drop back into their public classification fitting their enrollment.

Same exact rules apply for the Large School Open, except any team competing in the small school open division can petition to play up in the large school open division if they choose. Additionally, if you reach the State Finals in the Small School Open four times in four years you automatically must move up to the large school open division to compete.
I personally like the 6 classes. I watched all the championship games. I think maybe a team or two might need to be in another class, but that's only a opinion. I will say this year, the games were spot on, the classes produced the best matchups. We have some Championship teams that were very deserving. I like it the current system. I'm not a fan of playing your district teams in the first round of the playoffs, but it is what it is right now.