Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Louisville Courier-Journal All-State Team
FoSho Wrote:He's not a thrower. If an offense requires the QB to make throws, he isn't the answer. That doesn't mean he wouldn't play a significant role for the team, it just means it wouldn't be at QB.

He would be able to have the ball in his hands in open space which is exactly what you want with a talent like him.

Exactly!! I’d take him on my team. Just not as a QB. That troll can keep saying I’m bringing up two years ago, but that’s the only good defense they’ve faced in those two years. Belfrys was pretty good as well but not what ours was. And he had 68 yards. Not a QB. He can be a play maker at another position. He can argue he’d take him over anyone else, but the fact is, coaches disagree. And most of us disagree.
Bossdaddy 4115 Wrote:There is so much here I would like to quote but I don’t have all day.
1 Preece is a stud and fit his program strengths just as Lanter did Boyle and London fit Bell and Dudley. It not exactly comparing apples to apples if you know what I mean.
2 There was many kids get screwed and left off the list, I can’t speak for other programs but I can for mine and Steeley was the only kid from Corbin who should have received a 2nd team honor or better and was a honorable mention.
3 this is for whom the bell tolls, you are correct sir our qb is a freshman and just turned 16
4 .Forgive and forget and let’s keep the site positive and move forward being fans and keep the passion between the lines.
5 bull got out, you are exactly correct this list is a trade off amongst coaches you vote for mine type deal.

Great post! I agree with about everything you said, except for #2. I think Ethan Wine was much better than 3rd Team.

But at the end of the day, it doesn't matter one damn bit what we think. The coaches are going to pick who they want and that's that. Are there politics involved? You better believe it. Will there be kids left off that should have been on it? Yelp. Will the list make everyone happy? Nope. But don't ever think that the "buddy system" doesn't play a part in these selections. It's as plain as the nose on your face if you look hard enough!

Coaches should always do what they can to get their kids recognized. But they should keep it real in doing so and not put Little Johnny up for an All State team just because Daddy and Mommy are well off and are a big part of the community. Little Johnny should have to earn it, not Daddy and Mommy.

I remember last year alot of folks laughing at the AP All State team because they thought it was so political. Sounds to me like not very many people are happy with this list either. You see, not much different from the Courier Journal and AP if you take a step back and look, is there?

At the end of the day, the Media and Coaches are no different. It's ALL political. We, as fans, can only hope they get it mostly right and our teams are represented with the kids that deserve it. It really doesn't matter if a kid is on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or H.M. as long as their somewhere on there. It's a great achievement for them to be able to call themselves an All Stater at the end of the day and I'm very happy for them. They all deserve to be on the list.

There's always going to be the argument that this one should be higher, that one should be lower, or this kids not on there and should be. It's just the way it is and always will be. Congratulations to all the athletes that made the 2019 Courier Journal All State Team. And to the ones that didn't, this doesn't mean your not a great athlete, it just means that the VOTERS thought someone was just a little bit better. Keep grinding, you decide your future, not a bunch of people writing names on a piece of paper. Good luck and God Bless to all.
#55PirateFan Wrote:Great post! I agree with about everything you said, except for #2. I think Ethan Wine was much better than 3rd Team.

But at the end of the day, it doesn't matter one damn bit what we think. The coaches are going to pick who they want and that's that. Are there politics involved? You better believe it. Will there be kids left off that should have been on it? Yelp. Will the list make everyone happy? Nope. But don't ever think that the "buddy system" doesn't play a part in these selections. It's as plain as the nose on your face if you look hard enough!

Coaches should always do what they can to get their kids recognized. But they should keep it real in doing so and not put Little Johnny up for an All State team just because Daddy and Mommy are well off and are a big part of the community. Little Johnny should have to earn it, not Daddy and Mommy.

I remember last year alot of folks laughing at the AP All State team because they thought it was so political. Sounds to me like not very many people are happy with this list either. You see, not much different from the Courier Journal and AP if you take a step back and look, is there?

At the end of the day, the Media and Coaches are no different. It's ALL political. We, as fans, can only hope they get it mostly right and our teams are represented with the kids that deserve it. It really doesn't matter if a kid is on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or H.M. as long as their somewhere on there. It's a great achievement for them to be able to call themselves an All Stater at the end of the day and I'm very happy for them. They all deserve to be on the list.

There's always going to be the argument that this one should be higher, that one should be lower, or this kids not on there and should be. It's just the way it is and always will be. Congratulations to all the athletes that made the 2019 Courier Journal All State Team. And to the ones that didn't, this doesn't mean your not a great athlete, it just means that the VOTERS thought someone was just a little bit better. Keep grinding, you decide your future, not a bunch of people writing names on a piece of paper. Good luck and God Bless to all.

^Yep
Bull got out! Wrote:Well, I came and watched him play against Knox, Whitley and the Championship game. Going back to the Whitley game. Whitley came back and made a run, score was closer, Bell put some passing plays in there that I thought was really good. That opened the field and the rest is history. Against Knox county, Bell came out passing. He was very accurate. Nice plays. I actually videoed that game. I was watching the Army-Navy game and was thinking, I can see that kid playing in this game, the way they run there offenses. I think my boy said he had some offers of that caliber.

hes been offered by army and Air Force.. kids going to do well wherever he goes because his work ethic and attitude
Hound05 Wrote:Exactly!! I’d take him on my team. Just not as a QB. That troll can keep saying I’m bringing up two years ago, but that’s the only good defense they’ve faced in those two years. Belfrys was pretty good as well but not what ours was. And he had 68 yards. Not a QB. He can be a play maker at another position. He can argue he’d take him over anyone else, but the fact is, coaches disagree. And most of us disagree.

you wonder why people don’t like corbin fans this is it .. youre so narrow minded you can’t give a kid credit and say he’s a quarterback.. if you wouldn’t have taken him at qb on your team you’re fooling no one but yourself .. there’s a reason why your staff had him and jason in their field house showing them around trying to get them to move
WhomTheBellTolls Wrote:you wonder why people don’t like corbin fans this is it .. youre so narrow minded you can’t give a kid credit and say he’s a quarterback.. if you wouldn’t have taken him at qb on your team you’re fooling no one but yourself .. there’s a reason why your staff had him and jason in their field house showing them around trying to get them to move

Dudley system is run first and last and it hurt London as far as his talent. The kid throws well, just not as well as others and it was because he wasn’t setup for it. He was the reason Bell competed for a state championship. Great athlete could have played multiple positions for multiple programs.
Bossdaddy 4115 Wrote:There is so much here I would like to quote but I don’t have all day.
1 Preece is a stud and fit his program strengths just as Lanter did Boyle and London fit Bell and Dudley. It not exactly comparing apples to apples if you know what I mean.
2 There was many kids get screwed and left off the list, I can’t speak for other programs but I can for mine and Steeley was the only kid from Corbin who should have received a 2nd team honor or better and was a honorable mention.
3 this is for whom the bell tolls, you are correct sir our qb is a freshman and just turned 16
4 .Forgive and forget and let’s keep the site positive and move forward being fans and keep the passion between the lines.
5 bull got out, you are exactly correct this list is a trade off amongst coaches you vote for mine type deal.

Hmmm, don't know that I would say that in entirely.

Personally, I think Preece could fit into Boyle's system and them not skip a beat (and IMO enhance it) due to his mobility and the ability to turn a broken play into a huge gainer at any time.….Taking nothing away from the Boyle QB, but I don't think he could fit into the JC system that currently is run...I stand by my comment that if you couple him with Boyle Co's receiver corp he is in effect would be the most dangerous QB in the state....That to me, is the apples and oranges.
Bob Seger Wrote:Hmmm, don't know that I would say that in entirely.

Personally, I think Preece could fit into Boyle's system and them not skip a beat (and IMO enhance it) due to his mobility and the ability to turn a broken play into a huge gainer at any time.….Taking nothing away from the Boyle QB, but I don't think he could fit into the JC system that currently is run...I stand by my comment that if you couple him with Boyle Co's receiver corp he is in effect would be the most dangerous QB in the state....That to me, is the apples and oranges.

Got a question Bob. You keep bringing up Preece and something just hit me. Does this kid have any offers? Because if he doesn't there is something bad wrong! My son is a senior at Belfry and he and Ryley have got to know each other pretty well (on the field) over the last four years and I've got to watch him play over the last four years as well. The kid is a phenomenal football player and an all around good kid. And your right, this kid could play in any system. Just wondering if anyone is targeting him at the next level. Haven't heard anything about his recruitment. It would be a damn shame if teams are passing up on this kid because of maybe a height issue or something else that doesn't really matter. And for the record, in my opinion, he should have been better represented than just 3rd Team All State.
Bob Seger Wrote:Hmmm, don't know that I would say that in entirely.

What I was saying and not trying to start a pissing contest, THEY all fit there systems well have strengths to make them the best fit for where they play. IMO Preece is a run read, Lanter is a pass read. Preece can throw it very well, and I would bet if in a system for a couple years could have a pocket presence like Allen or Lanter but as it sets today Preece and London haven’t proven they have that ability. It is mostly due to the offenses they have ran. Does that make more sense? That’s where the apples to apples comment came from not in comparing kids but more the offenses they ran.
WhomTheBellTolls Wrote:you wonder why people don’t like corbin fans this is it .. youre so narrow minded you can’t give a kid credit and say he’s a quarterback.. if you wouldn’t have taken him at qb on your team you’re fooling no one but yourself .. there’s a reason why your staff had him and jason in their field house showing them around trying to get them to move

Most everyone from Corbin has been adamant that the kid was screwed by only being selected honorable mention and your splitting hairs over someone’s opinion that he’s not a qb and throwing shade at a Corbin player in the process...Newsflash Bell Co fans aren’t any more popular than Corbin fans ^ case in point...Stephney is an exceptional athlete and from what I’ve seen a very good kid to boot nobody’s saying he wasn’t a great qb for Bell Co but in a lot of offenses he’s a slot receiver because of his ability in the open field...I hope he gets to play at the next level and at whatever position he wants to play at. I’m not saying he can’t play qb Lynn Bowden (imo same type player) showed he could still play it at a high level but if Stoops and Gran had utilized him the way they should have his numbers would have been insane if for no other reason his ability to get behind the defense on a consistent basis...Btw Stephney was selected by the CJ as a honorable mention DB instead of qb who’s to blame for that?
WhomTheBellTolls Wrote:hes been offered by army and Air Force.. kids going to do well wherever he goes because his work ethic and attitude

And as many have said he would do great in that triple option either as the qb or a slot back...
#55PirateFan Wrote:Got a question Bob. You keep bringing up Preece and something just hit me. Does this kid have any offers? Because if he doesn't there is something bad wrong! My son is a senior at Belfry and he and Ryley have got to know each other pretty well (on the field) over the last four years and I've got to watch him play over the last four years as well. The kid is a phenomenal football player and an all around good kid. And your right, this kid could play in any system. Just wondering if anyone is targeting him at the next level. Haven't heard anything about his recruitment. It would be a damn shame if teams are passing up on this kid because of maybe a height issue or something else that doesn't really matter. And for the record, in my opinion, he should have been better represented than just 3rd Team All State.
I know he has D1 baseball offers but the answer to your question would better be answered by his dad. His grandfather worked with/retired with me for about 30 years. My first hand keepin up, is not anymore..

But I will say for certain, you will not find a better family...Anywhere.
These are fair statements. Most people never get to see these kids play or understand what styles they come from. Unfortunately, all many folks see are the stat lines. If you look at numbers that are just off the chart you are automatically gonna assume that kids skills exceed another players. That can't be helped. If you have running clocks in the first half and your coach plays the JV for 2 1/2 quarters your starters aren't going to post astronomical stats. You're right Boss, the offensive style plays a big factor in these choices and honestly it just can't be helped. We were blessed this year with some amazing talent all across the state. I think having these debates is a good problem. Lol. This bodes well for the future of KY football. Bubs football career is over and I sure wouldn't trade his experience for anything, especially where he may or not be placed on a list of exceptional young athletes. Just my opinion.
#55PirateFan Wrote:Got a question Bob. You keep bringing up Preece and something just hit me. Does this kid have any offers? Because if he doesn't there is something bad wrong! My son is a senior at Belfry and he and Ryley have got to know each other pretty well (on the field) over the last four years and I've got to watch him play over the last four years as well. The kid is a phenomenal football player and an all around good kid. And your right, this kid could play in any system. Just wondering if anyone is targeting him at the next level. Haven't heard anything about his recruitment. It would be a damn shame if teams are passing up on this kid because of maybe a height issue or something else that doesn't really matter. And for the record, in my opinion, he should have been better represented than just 3rd Team All State.

Oh, and by the way, congratulations to your son and to your family on his accolades.
Bob Seger Wrote:I know he has D1 baseball offers but the answer to your question would better be answered by his dad. His grandfather worked with/retired with me for about 30 years. My first hand keepin up, is not anymore..

But I will say for certain, you will not find a better family...Anywhere.

I didn't even know he played baseball, and must be damn good too! Good for him. The kid is just an all around exceptional athlete.
Bob Seger Wrote:Oh, and by the way, congratulations to your son and to your family on his accolades.

Thanks Bob, we really appreciate that. And although I've already said it a bunch of times, it never can be said enough, congrats to your Eagles! What a season they had. Definitely a top 3-4 team in the state. And believe me I know. I saw how good they were first hand! 😂
#55PirateFan Wrote:I didn't even know he played baseball, and must be damn good too! Good for him. The kid is just an all around exceptional athlete.

Yes sir!!! I've said since he was in about the 10 grade that he would wind up as one of the best all around athletes to ever come out of Johnson Central.
single shot Wrote:Most everyone from Corbin has been adamant that the kid was screwed by only being selected honorable mention and your splitting hairs over someone’s opinion that he’s not a qb and throwing shade at a Corbin player in the process...Newsflash Bell Co fans aren’t any more popular than Corbin fans ^ case in point...Stephney is an exceptional athlete and from what I’ve seen a very good kid to boot nobody’s saying he wasn’t a great qb for Bell Co but in a lot of offenses he’s a slot receiver because of his ability in the open field...I hope he gets to play at the next level and at whatever position he wants to play at. I’m not saying he can’t play qb Lynn Bowden (imo same type player) showed he could still play it at a high level but if Stoops and Gran had utilized him the way they should have his numbers would have been insane if for no other reason his ability to get behind the defense on a consistent basis...Btw Stephney was selected by the CJ as a honorable mention DB instead of qb who’s to blame for that?

ive not thrown shade on any corbin players your future is bright with your quarterback .. I just bought the numbers up to say you can’t call one a true qb and the other not ..
WhomTheBellTolls Wrote:ive not thrown shade on any corbin players your future is bright with your quarterback .. I just bought the numbers up to say you can’t call one a true qb and the other not ..

Well I kinda took it that way but it’s all good just wanted you to understand that nobody is really trying to say Stephney isn’t a stud or even that he can’t play qb , just in most pro style offenses he’d be a slot back and he’d be an absolute terror as a slot back too...not that he didn’t do a great job as qb at Bell Co but it’s a different offense than what Corbin or some of the other programs run where the ball gets slung around a lot more..
I’m not throwing shade a Stephany. I think he’s underrated at what he’s at. He’s a good enough athlete to be 1st at least 2nd team.
Cattleman Wrote:Can’t argue kids talent but that is not why the kid is not on the list, Dudley Hilton is why he wasn’t. The Coach down plays kids so much to make himself look good. Not one email to promote him to coaches or media.

Just in case someone wanted to know why, I will bring it back up.
105 out of 225ish coaches voted. Most times these votes turn into if you vote for mine I’ll vote for yours. A coach will watch 10 teams on film who are playing against 10ish other teams. So he may have seen 20 teams out of 225.
I do think all these kids are good players but it’s a very unsound way to pick a team.
footballfever Wrote:105 out of 225ish coaches voted. Most times these votes turn into if you vote for mine I’ll vote for yours. A coach will watch 10 teams on film who are playing against 10ish other teams. So he may have seen 20 teams out of 225.
I do think all these kids are good players but it’s a very unsound way to pick a team.

We should let parents pick, then we would get it right
FYI - London Stephney did make the Herald Leaders “Class of the Commonwealth” as a quarterback. The Class of the Commonwealth is an annual award list highlighting the Herald Leaders choices for the top 25 seniors in the state. I would post the entire list but I have no clue how to attach it. If someone has that capability please do so.
Real Badman Wrote:We should let parents pick, then we would get it right

I don’t think that’s a very good idea. However you would get a much higher percentage participating.
Yea I’m sure everyone’s own kid would be 1st team all American even though they were a 5”6 155 LB hah.
Hound05 Wrote:Yea I’m sure everyone’s own kid would be 1st team all American even though they were a 5”6 155 LB hah.

Now you’ve gone to meddling.
Hatz Wrote:Now you’ve gone to meddling.

I’m meddling? I don’t understand, maybe I’m having a brain fart?🤷*♂️
Frank Martin Wrote:FYI - London Stephney did make the Herald Leaders “Class of the Commonwealth” as a quarterback. The Class of the Commonwealth is an annual award list highlighting the Herald Leaders choices for the top 25 seniors in the state. I would post the entire list but I have no clue how to attach it. If someone has that capability please do so.

That’s awesome glad the kid got some props, he’s definitely talented and deserves it...
So my take is pretty much this: Blah, blah, blah, something about Mountain kids get shafted AGAIN, 4/6 titles, blah, blah, blah!! Ha