Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magoffin County at Belfry 9/27
The Pirates begin district play this Friday against Magoffin County. With somewhat of a weak district, can Belfry use these next four (district) games to get back on track and figure out just who they are? But more importantly, can the Pirates put these games out of reach early and use this next month to get everyone healthy in order to be competitive against a very good Johnson Central team the last game of the regular season on Pond Creek and also get themselves ready for a deep playoff run?

Thoughts?
I would not want to be Magoffin County.....
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Belfry should blow through the district again this year with some running clocks. LC has a lot of really good underclassmen and should be more competitive in the next few years but right now Belfry is just way above the rest of the district.
Belfry with running clock by halftime. All games next 4 weeks should be running clocks.
pirateforlife Wrote:Belfry with running clock by halftime. All games next 4 weeks should be running clocks.

I sure hope so because if Belfry can't put running clocks on their next four opponents then they are no where close to being contenders in 3A for a championship. And I'm not trying to trash our district foes, that's just being honest. Most importantly, I hope we can get running clocks so we can get our guys healed up and get some very much needed reps for our backups. Thus far this season, if I'm not mistaken, our starters have pretty much played every game for almost the entire game. Our backups desperately need to get some time on the field. I still believe we are one of the best teams in the class when 100% healthy. And the reason we have to be almost 100% healthy to be a contender is our depth. Like I said, our backups haven't had a chance to get any game action to improve and become viable backups who can come in and give quality minutes if needed.
Belfry wins big and like the other posters said they need to be healthy at the end of regular season.
Belfry names the score in this one. It won't be close and I agree with pirateforlife, running clock by the half.
Magoffin County don’t pass the ball.............hint,hint TongueirateSho

Belfry 64
Magoffin County 06
I think Lawrence county and Pike central will be there toughest district test
Belfry- A Lot

Magoffin- Not Much
Hawks32 Wrote:I think Lawrence county and Pike central will be there toughest district test

I agree. And maybe closer than what people think, including myself.
Belfry 56
Magoffin co 7
Belfry with a shutout.

Belfry 49
Magoffin Co 0
#55PirateFan Wrote:I sure hope so because if Belfry can't put running clocks on their next four opponents then they are no where close to being contenders in 3A for a championship. And I'm not trying to trash our district foes, that's just being honest. Most importantly, I hope we can get running clocks so we can get our guys healed up and get some very much needed reps for our backups. Thus far this season, if I'm not mistaken, our starters have pretty much played every game for almost the entire game. Our backups desperately need to get some time on the field. I still believe we are one of the best teams in the class when 100% healthy. And the reason we have to be almost 100% healthy to be a contender is our depth. Like I said, our backups haven't had a chance to get any game action to improve and become viable backups who can come in and give quality minutes if needed.

100% agree.

On offense - I’d like to see the Rash twins, Copley, Birchfield and Warren gets some much needed reps in the backfield and Canterbury get some reps at QB.

On defense Rash twins and Coley in the secondary, Warren and Justice at LB, and Cameron Varney and the bigger Banks at D-end. Spears and Hensley on the D-line.

These guys are starters in those spots next year and to be honest we are an injury away in the secondary, backfield, LB/DE’s from not being very good, as seen by when Mounts went out Friday.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:I would not want to be Magoffin County.....

This made me laugh. I have been in the shoes of Magoffin County many times. You just go in, give it your best, and what happens happens. The think Belfry's district slate is exactly what the doctor ordered.
If you haven't done so already.... go to YouTube or Google and search for this song.
I'm not gonna post the link, but it's worth your time.

Laidback Country Picker "Magoffin County Cadillac"
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
I'd almost rather not have running clocks the next few games. Yes, there's something positive about getting rest and getting playing time for backups. But Belfry's strength is their stable of backs. In order to use them, they need a line with as many reps as possible to determine the best way to work together.

Yes, it would have been nice to win the last 2 games. But Belfry essentially stuck to their "bread and butter" and hopefully determined how to pull the o-line together. These are good, talented kids, but for the most part, young. Hopefully the staff now sees what needs work and can use the next few weeks to pull it together.

Throw in a QB with 2 games under his belt this year, and I'd like him to get as many reps as well. I like his passing ability, when it's used. And I think he can scramble very well if needed. But that all ties in with the line with both protection for the QB and holes for the backs.

So, I'd like sustained drives that can be used to develop those breakaway runs we hope to see in the post season. I believe in the "get better one game at a time" approach. Game reps will be a key to that.
Hurricane Storm Wrote:I'd almost rather not have running clocks the next few games. Yes, there's something positive about getting rest and getting playing time for backups. But Belfry's strength is their stable of backs. In order to use them, they need a line with as many reps as possible to determine the best way to work together.

Yes, it would have been nice to win the last 2 games. But Belfry essentially stuck to their "bread and butter" and hopefully determined how to pull the o-line together. These are good, talented kids, but for the most part, young. Hopefully the staff now sees what needs work and can use the next few weeks to pull it together.

Throw in a QB with 2 games under his belt this year, and I'd like him to get as many reps as well. I like his passing ability, when it's used. And I think he can scramble very well if needed. But that all ties in with the line with both protection for the QB and holes for the backs.

So, I'd like sustained drives that can be used to develop those breakaway runs we hope to see in the post season. I believe in the "get better one game at a time" approach. Game reps will be a key to that.
I agree with this. I think we need a balance of our starters getting more reps and some quality reps for the reserves.
bucslover68 Wrote:I agree with this. I think we need a balance of our starters getting more reps and some quality reps for the reserves.

We do need this. But we also need to get a few of our starters some rest. Wolford hasnt been able to heal from the ankle injury from a couple weeks ago because he's had to play every snap. It's still swollen and bruised. He's been playing at about 70-75%, if that, ever since. We're hearing the talk about "is he that good" and that "he's not been playing the same". Well, that's why. Sean Cochran shouldn't have played last Friday due to an old injury that's been nagging him but he played anyway. Both those guys need rest. Not to mention, we need to hold Dixon out for atleast another game to make sure he's right. And there's a couple more guys that need some healing time. But I will agree, some of the starters need more reps to get in sync on both sides of the ball.
#55PirateFan Wrote:We do need this. But we also need to get a few of our starters some rest. Wolford hasnt been able to heal from the ankle injury from a couple weeks ago because he's had to play every snap. It's still swollen and bruised. He's been playing at about 70-75%, if that, ever since. We're hearing the talk about "is he that good" and that "he's not been playing the same". Well, that's why. Sean Cochran shouldn't have played last Friday due to an old injury that's been nagging him but he played anyway. Both those guys need rest. Not to mention, we need to hold Dixon out for atleast another game to make sure he's right. And there's a couple more guys that need some healing time. But I will agree, some of the starters need more reps to get in sync on both sides of the ball.

Kids like Wolford is a warrior they want to played every play, Maybe he can get some rest this week in practice. Good luck with the ankle. Go Belfry TongueirateSho
#55PirateFan Wrote:I agree. And maybe closer than what people think, including myself.

Both team's seem to be firing on all cylinder's right now and that's great.
Hawks32 Wrote:Both team's seem to be firing on all cylinder's right now and that's great.

Yes, it is great. I love seeing local teams doing well, all of them. Good luck to your Hawks and the Dawgs this year.
#55PirateFan Wrote:Yes, it is great. I love seeing local teams doing well, all of them. Good luck to your Hawks and the Dawgs this year.

Thanks brother, get the district back competitive, like it use 2 be from 09 to 13 wen Lc sheldon Clark and us were good
#55PirateFan Wrote:Yes, it is great. I love seeing local teams doing well, all of them. Good luck to your Hawks and the Dawgs this year.

We have been playing some good ball this year, and it's great
Hawks32 Wrote:Thanks brother, get the district back competitive, like it use 2 be from 09 to 13 wen Lc sheldon Clark and us were good

Yelp. It's good for everyone when you play in a tough district.
Tic Tock.
Look for Belfry to start building some confidence over the next few weeks. Getting the right amount of rest for some of the ones banged up, and seeing some of the young guys get some time not only bodes well for this year, but also for next year. The district is not great, but if you look at the RPI, it is not terrible either and we know what going 4-0 in the district and possibly beating JC at the end will get you. A good RPI with a chance to play several playoff games at home. There is no doubt the Belfry depth is not what it used to be and that the O line needs to keep improving, but Belfry's first 22 can still play with anyone in their class and I don't think they will be outmatched by a lot by any team in the playoffs. I believe it will ultimately come down to being healthy at the right time and playing their best football when it counts. If those two things come together during the playoffs, then BHS has as good of a chance as anyone to get to Kroger.
I didn’t post this on the Belfry vs Pikeville thread because I didn’t want to take anything away from Pikeville. They played a great game and have a great team. With that being said people have to understand that this Belfry team is as good as any 3A team in the state. The one thing that could not happen to Belfry happened. The injury bug got them at the wrong time. I do believe with a healthy Dixon playing and Mounts going the second half Belfry was a TD or two better.

Belfry needs to put the last couple of weeks behind them and put there nose to the grindstone. The hype train at the beginning of the season may have crept in some and then reality smacked them between the eye’s. Time to work for what ya want! Throughout district play they should have little resistance from there opponents, the starters need to play a complete first half to work on timing and get the offensive line much needed reps. The second half is perfect to work on depth for some of the younger players. 3A is wide open and It’s going to come down to who will work the hardest to play at Kroger and who can stay the healthiest.
Neither does belfry HINT HINT
At this point, we just need to see positive effort, a clean game from an injury standpoint and some consistent reps. This team is still struggling to find its identity and footing. Praying these will come during the next 5-6 weeks.